PDA

View Full Version : HELP---Gonna Quit Smoking, need some help

mpd525
08-04-2007, 21:10
Well, after reading a couple of pretty sobering stories, regarding smoking and diving, i've decided, it's time to give it up. I've been going for about 12 years now, so i know it's not gonna be any fun. Plus i drive around in a car all day, and that's generally when i smoke the most. So any of you folks that's kicked the habit, help me out with some sugguestions and advice. I've tried to quit 3 or 4 time to no avail, but i don't want to get bent or die because something that i can get rid of. So if you got anything helpful, i'll sure be glad to here it.

Buoyant1
08-04-2007, 22:27
Well...the best advice I can offer is to just take a time that you know that you can control yourself, decide you WANT to quit, and just do it. Stop...cold turkey! Tell your loved ones that you will be an a$$ while it's going on, but it's just the way it is! It's tough, but if you want to do it, you'll do it!

I stuggled with certain times that I knew I would have a cigarette...in the bathroom, shaving, driving, sitting in a bar with friends, etc. I couldn't visualize myself NOT having one...but I knew that it was a problem because every time I got in the car..light up, woke up, and went to the bathroom, light up...etc.

You want to quit so just quit...no excuses, put them down, don't light them up, WALK AWAY! I know it can be done because I was a two+ pack a day smoker that quit cold freaking turkey becase I wanted to quit...If you DON'T want to quit, you won't....don't kid yourself! If you really do...then you can walk away from it!

Sorry..it's brutal, but it's just the truth!

Good luck!

ertechsg
08-04-2007, 22:51
I smoked 1 1/2-2 packs per day. Quit in Jan 07 haven't had a cig since. Go to your doctor and tell him or her you want a drug called CHANTIX. You'll take it for about 2-3 months and never have that craving. It's not nicotine. Is awsome. Told several friend about it and they have quit. Cost is about $100 a month but you spend that in smokes. As for driving that was my worst time I used hard candy and tooth picks. You do have to want to quit. Save that money and have an awsome dive trip. GOOD LUCK:smiley20::smiley32:

thor
08-04-2007, 23:56
I have a couple of friends who tried everything and swore by Zyban and/or Wellbutrin. Get a Dr. to write you a scrip.

creggur
08-05-2007, 08:39
I quite 6 years ago, and then picked it up again about 6 months ago....I know, I know could I be more stupid?????? It's funny when you get stressed out sometimes you run home to mommy....

Anyway when I quit before, I used the patches, just followed the full step-down program, and it worked great. The whole secret is to follow the whole program, I have a number of friends who after 3-4 weeks would be feeling fine, and stop wearing the patches, and after 2-3 days they were smoking again.. I followed the whole program, no major withdrawel symptoms. When I started I would chew a lot of gum, the stronger the gum the better, I guess it gave me that tingling sensation on the back of my throat and helped ease the mental urge to take a smoke break... This is how I plan to quite again here very shortly..

As a side note, Don't go to sleep with the patch on unless you want to have the craziest most vivid dreams you've ever had. It warns of this on the package, and they are not kidding. I would wake up in the morning and know I had forgotton to take the thing off because of the crazy-a$$ dreams I had through the night...

GOOD LUCK, IT IS WORTH IT!!! I mean just think of all the cool gear you can buy with the money you're going to save...

dmdoss
08-05-2007, 22:29
ALOT of sunflower seeds!!

the gooch
08-06-2007, 00:15
Whatever you do, stay away from alcohol. One drink and you will definitely want a cig.

Black-Gorrilla
08-06-2007, 00:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ4n7g31RlE

motivation... (not gruesome video... just some science)

ocean_dreamer
08-06-2007, 11:27
ALOT of sunflower seeds!!

I agree! When I am driving home from work in traffic.

Krakenn
08-07-2007, 01:09
For me, it was patches, then nicabate Chewies then lollies then chocolate sigh.

There are downfalls to quitting.

Of course there are great things as well such as the new wardrobe you will need.

Kraks

TommyB
08-07-2007, 01:52
My wife has been on my butt now for a couple years to quit smoking--
My problem is, I have a home office. Pretty much chain-smoking choo-choo
If I had to guess, 3 packs maybe more per day now!...

Holed up in the office here, 12 / 15 + hrs a day, so real easy to just fire up another nail in the coffin.
Tried that cold-turkey thing once, guessing I could have been the poster child for "going postal on just about anything"....

May have to look into these drugs mentioned above-

Doghouse
08-07-2007, 08:52
I went the patch route, failed 5 times. Finaly on New Years 6 years ago, I just smoked one at the strike of the bell and tossed the pack in the trash.

My mind and body were both ready to quit that time as I have not looked back since. I have not smoked even a cigar as I am worried I will get hooked again. (I miss my hula girl cigars!)

But the moral of what I am saying is that I tried to quit multiple times before, failed miserably. First goal was 3 days, then 3 weeks, then 3 months set the goals and give yourself a treat for each goal. Put the cigarette money in a jar and buy yourself something at each goal. You were spending the money anyways...

Yes you will sit in traffic and smell the cigarette in the car 3 up and 2 lanes over, but think about the last thing you purchased with the cigarette money, or what the next goal buys you.

Eventually it will hit you that the smell of smoke starts to discust you. Then you know you are going to make it.

mpd525
08-07-2007, 12:27
well, apparently my insurance sucks(can't imagine that for a police dept., at all) but i'm gonna do it anyway. The wife is in ft. hood texas until the 17th, and when she get's back i'm gonna give it a valiant effort. I've already decided what the first purchase with the cig money is gonna be. Either an Aeris Atmos LX, or a Zeagle Brigade(gotta get some color put on it though). I appreciate everyone's input, i'm sure as the time get's here, i'll be ready to hurt something. I'm also gonna have to start working out again, so i don't get too fat.

Osprey
08-07-2007, 17:37
my best friend sucks on hard candy or chews a lot of gum when he cant have a smoke. gives his mouth something to do!

reservecops
08-07-2007, 19:57
Cold turkey. 95% of it is in your mind. If you are committed to yourself, you can do it without any fancy gums, patches, or pills. For some, the "helpers" are real, and for some, they're nothing more than placebos. But also be careful that you don't trade one habit for another (e.g., mints, gum, etc.) -- I know people who did!

Five years ago (nearly to the day), I quit after ~20 years. Just said to myself, "This is really f'ing stupid!" and quit.

Perhaps I'm lucky, but I *never* have the desire to smoke, even when I drink or do other things that I used to do when I smoked.

The first thing I noticed - which took a couple of weeks - was just exactly who BAD other people who smoked STUNK! My senses of smell and taste have improved SO much since quitting, it's hard to fathom how I operated before. And I can't believe that I STUNK like an ashtray -- but I did!

The next thing I noticed was how much more energy I had when I did something.

Set a goal to quit for X months, and as a reward, go spend that money on something for yourself. Or just save it.

Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself, your spouse/other, your children, and the rest of your friends and family.

I *never* harass smokers - I'm not one of those "I'm better than you are NOW" people. But I strongly encourage those who DO smoke to keep on quitting until they do it for good.

liuk3
08-07-2007, 20:08
Scuba diving allowed me to quit cold turkey. I was hacking up a lung on the OW swim test. My OW instructor made us swim a ton of laps over the 3 month course. I quit because my wife was lapping me at the start of the class. Now, I lap her in the pool. It really showed me how detrimental the smoking was to my cardiovascular endurance. Go swim laps, run or do any type of cardio, and it will make you want to quit since you will be coughing up a lung. Good luck, my friend. You can do it if you want it bad enough and when you are truly ready to do so. I wish you the best on this endeavor.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-07-2007, 23:47
I smoked 20 a day for nearly 6 years then one day i just got bored and quit, its all mind power. A buddy of mine wants to take up diving but he smokes way too much and has problems breathing now he has a blood clot in his leg and hasnt been able to walk on it because of the pain.

nferra2
08-08-2007, 01:45
I was't able to quit when I got married, had a child, or even when I was dead broke. Somehow the possibility of diving has allowed me to quit, cold Turkey. I guess I know that I have to quit in order to be able to dive properly.

rdiver
08-13-2007, 10:08
My brother was a smoker for several years... He quit about a year ago, the hardest part he said was being around other people that smoked, but with encouragement from those who love him, he has been smoke free since he quit, not even 1!!

skdvr
08-13-2007, 11:12
I am with everyone else that said Cold Turkey. You REALLY have to want it and just do it. You will have lots of times that you will say "Oh, I will just have one after dinner." DONT DO IT. It was tough for a little while but man did I feel better even after the first month. I tried to quit a few times and never really wanted to, so I would have one now and then. Then about 6 years ago I was smoking at work and just looked at everyone and threw the pack in the trash. Do it and never look back..

Good luck.

You can do it...

Phil

mpd525
08-13-2007, 20:16
Well, I'm gonna try the cold turkey method, because a box of those patches is 40 bucks(it's cheaper to smoke), but i really want to, both of my parents smoke so that kinda sucks(hillbillies), but i'm gonna get past it. I've got a jar set aside, to put 4 bucks a day in, and give it H3LL. Bad thing is, I'm cranky by nature so my wife is really not gonna like me in about a week. But thanks for the support, i'll give you guys some updates. Monday is gonna be the big day, so we'll see how it goes. To be honest i'm pretty nervous about it. And if your curious why monday, my wife gets back from texas, and w/o her around to ride me like a donkey about it, i probably won't do too hot.

Thanks again.

reservecops
08-13-2007, 20:24
Well, I'm gonna try the cold turkey method, because a box of those patches is 40 bucks(it's cheaper to smoke), but i really want to, both of my parents smoke so that kinda sucks(hillbillies), but i'm gonna get past it. I've got a jar set aside, to put 4 bucks a day in, and give it H3LL. Bad thing is, I'm cranky by nature so my wife is really not gonna like me in about a week. But thanks for the support, i'll give you guys some updates. Monday is gonna be the big day, so we'll see how it goes. To be honest i'm pretty nervous about it. And if your curious why monday, my wife gets back from texas, and w/o her around to ride me like a donkey about it, i probably won't do too hot.

Thanks again.The best thing to do is to warn those who you will be around of this very thing (the part I highlighted above). Let them know that you'll be cranky, and they should be able to better understand and better support you and your efforts.

It's worthy it, my friend. Without a doubt.

rktman26
08-13-2007, 20:57
I smoked from age 13-32, minus the three months I was in Boot Camp.
When I quit, it was because I realized that I didn't really enjoy smoking very much anymore.
I caught a bad chest cold, and couldn't shake it for about six weeks. Every morning in the shower, I was hacking up all kinds of nasty crap. Finally, I noticed a little bit of blood in the crap I was coughing up. I figured that that was a pretty damn good time to hang it up.
I used the patch for about ten days, and after one of the crazy dreams they warn you about with the patch, I took them off and never looked back.
I think what helped me was analyzing my habit...
Think about this- How many cigarretes do you smoke a day that you really want, and how may are you smoking strictly because "I always smoke when I... (wake up, finish eating, get in the car, drive, get out of the car, etc...)
I realized that I only wanted about 4 or 5 smokes a day. If you're going to try to taper off, make each cigarrette a concious decision. Cut out the rest and it's not so hard.

I knew I had it whipped about five months after my quit date. Picture this-
I was in Iraq, and we would get mortared and all of us would head to the bunkers. We all crammed in to avoid getting hit. Well, the first thing I would here once we were all inside was "Who's got a light?" Six of us crammed into about 20 square feet of concrete bunker, and four of them are smoking.
I knew I had it beat when I didn't light up.

Good luck, and don't give up on it

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-15-2007, 07:10
I am on day13 of no smoking. I decided to quit for several reasons but primarily for my 9yr old daughter and SCUBA. You have to want to first. Then whatever works best whether its patches, Zyban, Chantix. I tried before w/ Zyban. Didn't like it; it made sleep very restless and unrestful. It sdid work though for awhile. But now am usiong Chantix and it seems to be doing the trick. No real "jones" just the mental triggers to have a smoke.

Good luck to you though and if you don't succeed the first time try again with a different approach. If you really want to quit you'll find a way. Just like SCUBA, if you really want that new reg, or to take a trip to Austrailia and do a liveaboard, you'd find a way right?

Disneymom
08-17-2007, 10:31
Good luck on Monday, mpd! If you find yourself craving, come post.

mpd525
08-17-2007, 16:27
i'll sure try, I'm a police officer, and usually smoke the most, when i'm in my car at work, so that's gonna be hard. I think i'm gonna make the wife take my debit card from me, and just give me 5 bucks a day for lunch, that way I don't have any money to buy them. It's time to quit though, i've lost my grandmother, and just lost my granfather about 1 month ago due to smoking, and I don't want my family to go through what we went through, and having to watch someone fade away like that. And i think i'm gonna buy a punching bag, to help get aggression from lack of smoking out, and i've gotta start exercising or i'll end up about 20 pounds heavier, and i sure don't want that. But thanks for the support guys, i'm sure i'll leave an angry post on monday night. LOL!!!

Axewizard
08-21-2007, 14:56
i'll sure try, I'm a police officer, and usually smoke the most, when i'm in my car at work, so that's gonna be hard. I think i'm gonna make the wife take my debit card from me, and just give me 5 bucks a day for lunch, that way I don't have any money to buy them. It's time to quit though, i've lost my grandmother, and just lost my granfather about 1 month ago due to smoking, and I don't want my family to go through what we went through, and having to watch someone fade away like that. And i think i'm gonna buy a punching bag, to help get aggression from lack of smoking out, and i've gotta start exercising or i'll end up about 20 pounds heavier, and i sure don't want that. But thanks for the support guys, i'm sure i'll leave an angry post on monday night. LOL!!!

Dude...you'll be fine. The way I did it was I had 3 days off in a row from work. I locked myself up in our room, threw out all of our smokes and fought it. I won, it lost. I still struggle with cravings, still want one from time to time. I just had to set my mind to it that I wasn't going to smoke, no matter what or how bad things got. Trust me, I've had some tough situations happen at work since then. If you feel like smoking, PM me...I'll talk to you.

cummings66
08-23-2007, 18:01
A friend of mine at work beat it by quitting cold turkey. No program he tried did it, no drug his doctor prescribed did it. He had to want to quit and finally he did.

Another friend wanted to, his doctor tried to help him to quit. He had lung damage that affected him, now he's got about 3 months to live due to smoking. 15 years ago he was told to quit, he couldn't quite do it and now he's at the end of the road and spent what little money he has.

That is enough to make me quit, if I had started.

mpd525
08-23-2007, 21:55
well, im hangin in their, not to mention it's been a crappy week, but i'm not doing to bad, as long as i stay away from other smokers.

chewyjr15
08-23-2007, 22:10
good for you its the right decision in the end it saved you money and your life!

texarkandy
08-24-2007, 07:11
well, im hangin in their, not to mention it's been a crappy week, but i'm not doing to bad, as long as i stay away from other smokers.

As one who just recently "returned to smoking" (and now has to go through the whole PITA quit thing again) I cannot stress enough:

You cannot have even one puff - no cigars, no pipes - none, nada, zippo - never let your guard down on that - it will "get" you I have found from experience.

Charlotte Smith
08-24-2007, 07:51
I smoked 1 1/2-2 packs per day. Quit in Jan 07 haven't had a cig since. Go to your doctor and tell him or her you want a drug called CHANTIX. You'll take it for about 2-3 months and never have that craving. It's not nicotine. Is awsome. Told several friend about it and they have quit. Cost is about $100 a month but you spend that in smokes. As for driving that was my worst time I used hard candy and tooth picks. You do have to want to quit. Save that money and have an awsome dive trip. GOOD LUCK:smiley20::smiley32:
All I have to say is that Chantix isn't for everyone...be careful...I had some terrible reactions to the medicine.....

mpd525
08-24-2007, 16:16
Thanks for all the support, i figure if i can make it 1 month, then i'm doing good, and then i'll go another month, and then a year, you only when wars by fighting small battles.

DannyNY
08-25-2007, 14:19
I'm another Moron.... I quit for 2 years. Then I started working with someone who smoked, I asked for one thinking no big deal.... Well 1 lead to 3, 3 lead to 5, soon after I bought a pack myself and was back stronger than ever. What a stupid A$$. Anyway, I tried the last few months to quit again, Chantrix didn't do anything, spent $300 for Laser treatment, when she finished one side I said I can go for a cigarette now and she said, "this isn't gonna work for you". Now I'm back on the original method I used, the patch.... 6 days so far without one. I think I have it in my head to quit so I hope and pray I'll never to go back!!

Good luck with it.... Let's all be strong together, we're all "buddies" anyway!!! :smiley20:

chefchris
08-25-2007, 14:43
try relaxing with a cigar. I'm on a cigar message board and I know several people that weened themselves from cigarettes with cigars. You don't inhale, but it might give you the same sensation ... plus they taste a hell of alot better.

Charles R
08-25-2007, 14:47
Chantix is your freind they help me quite 2 packs a day for 12 years and on SEPT 1 it will be 1 year smoke free :left_pisser::hippie:

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-25-2007, 18:37
Chantix is your freind they help me quite 2 packs a day for 12 years and on SEPT 1 it will be 1 year smoke free :left_pisser::hippie:

So far I agree!! Yesterday was week three for me but who's counting:stonedsmilie::smilie39:

Chantix takes care of the "jones" but doesn't do much for the cravings. Pure will power and desire are all I have goin for me here.:smiley26:

meesier42
08-25-2007, 19:28
COLD TURKEY is the only way to quit, these other crutches that the pharmacy world is pushing will fail. Besides the proven data that says 95 out of 100 that use them will return to smoking within 3 months.

You must decide that you will not smoke and voila, its over. the hardest part is your friends that smoke because you need to seperate yourself from the environment that you smoke in. Granted I know you can't stop driving, but let your friends know that you are quiting and ask them not to smoke around you and I'll bet if they are really your friends they will support you and not smoke near you.

mpd525
08-26-2007, 16:18
well, i almost made it a week, went around the parents and had one. but that was it, so it's better than nothing. It's a small victory that i made it this long, but i'm gonna keep fighting. I tried the cigar thing once before and it didn't work out, i ended up smoking again.

But i'm glad i'm not the only one that's going through this, it sure helps out.

But went diving today, so that helps too, because it gives me time to think about what i'm gonna do with all that extra money.

Thanks Again, everybody.

greyzen
08-26-2007, 16:57
I quit smoking a few years ago and one of the things that helped me after the three-month mark was coming to the realization that what I was quitting was basically a worthless little nothing of a habit. I've noticed many people quit by giving the smoking and smoking lifestyle such a huge portion of their real life that they make it a much bigger deal than it is.

For example, if you quit smoking... congrats. you quit... move on.
Don't parade around celebrating your quitting.. put it behind you and you'll move forward as a non-smoker. If you focus on it and wear it as a badge, it is still lurking behind you ready to pounce. If you ignore it, you will really forget and suddenly you'll look up and realize you've been cigg free for 8 months, 12 months, two years, etc.

I've noticed a lot of addictions operate the same way... you build up this almost insurmountable mound of importance and if you happen to slip even once you just throw your hands up in the air, admit defeat by this huge inescapable creature, and go right back into bad habits.

By making the molehill a mountain, you give yourself a harder task...
Leave the rock climbing to surface walkers, I'm gonna go swimming :P

ian
08-26-2007, 18:42
I started smoking when I was 17. I quit in April of 2006 when I was 48. I smoked a pack a day for most of that period. I tried to quit a number of times. I used all kinds of methods, drugs, everyting. Nothing worked.

Finally, I did it cold turkey because I WANTED to.

You have to want to or it won't work.

I will always be a smoker. I just have my habit down to ZERO cigarettes a day, now. I know that one puff will put me back in the pack-a-day club.

You cannot have even one puff - no cigars, no pipes - none, nada, zippo - never let your guard down on that - it will "get" you I have found from experience.

Unfortunately, you're right on the mark. No tests, no "just a puffs", not OPs. Quit. PERIOD.

Cold turkey. 95% of it is in your mind. If you are committed to yourself, you can do it without any fancy gums, patches, or pills. For some, the "helpers" are real, and for some, they're nothing more than placebos. But also be careful that you don't trade one habit for another (e.g., mints, gum, etc.) -- I know people who did!

Set a goal to quit for X months, and as a reward, go spend that money on something for yourself. Or just save it.

I disagree. It's 100% in your head. :smiley2:

The helpers are just crutches. Take them away and you're done for.

try relaxing with a cigar. I'm on a cigar message board and I know several people that weened themselves from cigarettes with cigars. You don't inhale, but it might give you the same sensation ... plus they taste a hell of alot better.

Absolutely NOT! :smiley21: Sorry, that's cr@p! To paraphrase: Quit or do not. There is no try. There is no "weaning".

I tried that. I smoked for over thrity years. Do you think I didn't inhale cigars?

So, your friends weaned themselves from cigarettes onto cigars. No what? THEY'RE STILL SMOKING!!!!

Outstanding!

The ONLY way to take it is one hour at a time. Tell yourself that you will not smoke this hour. Then, when you get to the end of the hour, renew the commitment for just one more hour. Keep that up and the morning wil have gone by. Stick to the pattern for the afternoon and into the evening. Soon, the day will have gone by.

Do NOT plan to not smoke tomorrow. Just plan not to smoke for the next hour.

String the hours together and, soon, you'll being to forget about smoking for a few hours at a time. Then it will stretch to a few days at a time. Then a week at a time. Someday, it might even go for more than a week at a time - I'll let you know when that happens to me! :smiley36:

Thanks for all the support, i figure if i can make it 1 month, then i'm doing good, and then i'll go another month, and then a year, you only when wars by fighting small battles.

That's exactly right! One battle at a time. Just fight the fight for one hour at a time. Don't plan the entire campaign at once.

I'm pulling for you.

I don't think there's a week that goes by, right now, that I don't "jones" for a cigarette. I just tell myself that I'm going to hang in there and not smoke for 10 minutes. By the time the 10 minutes is up, I'm no longer craving a smoke.

I just keep telling myself that I AM WINNING!

I will ALWAYS be a smoker.

I've just chosen to reduce my habit from a pack-a-day to zero-a-day.

One puff and that will change.:smiley13:

Hang in there! You CAN do it! I did.

dludwig
08-26-2007, 19:41
I always said that "quitting smoking was easy" cause I had done it so many times. Finally, it "took" about 10 years ago. I used one of those patches to ween myself away. Now that I have picked up SCUBA, I don't even pick up an occasional cigar, like I used to.

somewhereinla
08-26-2007, 20:09
I tried th patch, and some prescribtion drugs (can't remember which one), but was never succesfull. Then I tried cold turkey and it worked, I have been smoke free for 2 years.
The 1st 10days are the hardest and then things start getting easier. I stopped drinking any alcohol for a few month as well, as I found drinking without smoking very difficult. I tried to avoid going to places or event were people ususally smoke (like parties)...

One more advice:
At one point, you 'll think that you are doing pretty well and will think that smoking "just one" cigarette should be OK. DON'T.
Everytime I failed was because of that "just one" cigarette... Tha't the one you never want to have when you quite.

NitroWill
08-28-2007, 08:39
The September 2007 issue of "Scuba Diving" magazine has a good article on smoking and diving starting on page 75 - check it out!

mpd525
08-29-2007, 11:03
Will, believe it or not, that's what kinda helped get me inspired to finally go head and do this.

The only problems i'm having right now, is that people seem to want to pi55 me off here lately, and when i get mad i always had one before, so i'm chewing about 8 packs of gum a day, and chewing on straws like their twizzlers, to try and keep my nerves down. And the other is when i get around someone that does smoke, that makes it kinda hard, but i'm still fighting. just got to make it one more day.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-29-2007, 11:30
Will, believe it or not, that's what kinda helped get me inspired to finally go head and do this.

The only problems i'm having right now, is that people seem to want to pi55 me off here lately, and when i get mad i always had one before, so i'm chewing about 8 packs of gum a day, and chewing on straws like their twizzlers, to try and keep my nerves down. And the other is when i get around someone that does smoke, that makes it kinda hard, but i'm still fighting. just got to make it one more day.

Keep up the good fight. You can do it! :smiley20:

Remember the alternative is :smiley11:

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 14:13
Well, after reading a couple of pretty sobering stories, regarding smoking and diving, i've decided, it's time to give it up. I've been going for about 12 years now, so i know it's not gonna be any fun. Plus i drive around in a car all day, and that's generally when i smoke the most. So any of you folks that's kicked the habit, help me out with some sugguestions and advice. I've tried to quit 3 or 4 time to no avail, but i don't want to get bent or die because something that i can get rid of. So if you got anything helpful, i'll sure be glad to here it.

HMNN there is an idea. note to self, design a new dive mask that will allow smoking while diving.

congratulations of wanting to quite. its a good reason. go dive instead.

Desert_Diver
09-13-2007, 21:47
I started in basic training (they gave us free cigarettes in reception). Smoked until my fifties. Quit several times. Used different techniques each time. I stayed clean for several years each time I quit but then started back up again.

I've been clean for about five years this time. I have found the Big No Nos (for me) are drinking beer and being around people who smoke. The combo is deadly for me.

Quitting has been one of the hardest things I've done. But well worth it. If you slip and start again, forgive yourself and quit again.

Good luck. Frankly, it's going to be a bitch.

Art

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-13-2007, 21:57
So how are all the quitters doing?? Still not smoking? :smiley5::smiley20::smiley19::smiley22: (I love the smiley's)

Tomorrow, Fri, will be 6 weeks for me! And I have quit taking the Chantix. Not that it bothered me or anything but I just kept forgetting to take it and it seems that the nudge I needed from it worked.

Let's hear from the rest of you guys and gals..success or retries? You can do it - TRUST ME IF I CAN YOU CAN!!! FOR SURE!!!

RobT
09-16-2007, 03:27
Chantix may have some bad side effects, but it is probably the best way, period. The worst stomach ache, headache, gas, etc. is nothing compared to smoking.

Cold turkey in my opinion is something that is not needed anymore. Chantix doesn't substitute one form of nicotine for another. The brain doesn't register the highs or lows of the dopamine that nicotine triggers. The huge mood swings for no reason don't happen when you use it.

If the cold turkey route works for you, great! If it doesn't, don't give up. Try Chantix.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-16-2007, 03:54
Chantix may have some bad side effects, but it is probably the best way, period. The worst stomach ache, headache, gas, etc. is nothing compared to smoking.

Cold turkey in my opinion is something that is not needed anymore. Chantix doesn't substitute one form of nicotine for another. The brain doesn't register the highs or lows of the dopamine that nicotine triggers. The huge mood swings for no reason don't happen when you use it.

If the cold turkey route works for you, great! If it doesn't, don't give up. Try Chantix.

I know everyone is different but I didn't experience any bad side effects from Chantix. I did seem to dream more but thst certainly wasn't anything bad!

dludwig
09-16-2007, 08:52
Good Luck in quitting. It took several attempts before I was able to quit completely about 10 years ago. I used one of to Nicotine patches & a whole lot of chewing gum.

PiratePete
09-17-2007, 17:35
So how are all the quitters doing?? Still not smoking? :smiley5::smiley20::smiley19::smiley22: (I love the smiley's)

Tomorrow, Fri, will be 6 weeks for me! And I have quit taking the Chantix. Not that it bothered me or anything but I just kept forgetting to take it and it seems that the nudge I needed from it worked.

Let's hear from the rest of you guys and gals..success or retries? You can do it - TRUST ME IF I CAN YOU CAN!!! FOR SURE!!!

Congratulations on the 6 weeks! I know how hard it was!

I smoked for roughly 15 years before quitting cold-turkey earlier this year. The first 4 months were the roughest for me and during that time I gained 20 pounds. I found myself eating to occupy my mind. Once I hit the 6 month mark I started losing the weight that I had gained. I think my roughest moments were when I was idle by myself...reading a book, etc. The cravings (no matter how hard they were) always went away after 5-10 minutes. It was just a matter of willpower to last longer than the cravings. Under no circumstance did I allow myself even one cigarette or even one puff - that was the road back to pack-a-day smoking. Now, after 7+ months...I can go weeks without thinking of cigarettes now. I may have cravings every now and then but I know that I can withstand them...and it gets easier every time.

mpd525
09-17-2007, 22:50
Well, bad news the cold turkey method didn't work too long, went to a MMA fight had a few beers and well, you guys know the rest. But I'm gonna try the Chantix, got a prescription about 2 days ago, and the big day is set for Friday to start the pills. Reason for starting then, is me and the misses are going camping at the dive park this weekend, and everytime i'm out of the water, and want one, i'm gearing up and getting in.

I feel like such a loser that i didn't have the will power to just put them down. AND CONGRATS 45yearoldnewbie, i wish i had you will power. And i finally did put a little pressure on myself. I coach little league football (5th graders), and i made a deal with them, if we go undefeated this year i'll let them rip up any cigs i've got, if i haven't completely quit by then. So they've been practicing there little butts off.

I'm ready to hang it up, but it seems like so many little stupid things trigger it, and i've got to figure out a way to stop those. One more plus side is I have slowed way down, so i don't think it will be has hard. I'm not giving up!!!!!

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-18-2007, 00:07
Well, bad news the cold turkey method didn't work too long, went to a MMA fight had a few beers and well, you guys know the rest. But I'm gonna try the Chantix, got a prescription about 2 days ago, and the big day is set for Friday to start the pills. Reason for starting then, is me and the misses are going camping at the dive park this weekend, and everytime i'm out of the water, and want one, i'm gearing up and getting in.

I feel like such a loser that i didn't have the will power to just put them down. AND CONGRATS 45yearoldnewbie, i wish i had you will power. And i finally did put a little pressure on myself. I coach little league football (5th graders), and i made a deal with them, if we go undefeated this year i'll let them rip up any cigs i've got, if i haven't completely quit by then. So they've been practicing there little butts off.

I'm ready to hang it up, but it seems like so many little stupid things trigger it, and i've got to figure out a way to stop those. One more plus side is I have slowed way down, so i don't think it will be has hard. I'm not giving up!!!!!

Trust me I know where you're coming from!! You can do it IF YOU really want to. The Chantix will take away the jitters not the triggers. You have to deal with them yourself. That really sucks too!!! It can be done. I was a pack or more a day since I was 15....30 years!!!! I did it so will you!!!!:smiley20:

Ramgib
09-18-2007, 00:21
After talking to several Pharmacists and different doctors, BH and I started on Chantix. This friday will be our quit day. The endocrinologist says smoking can lower testosterone levels in men, prevent absorbtion of D3, which you get from the sun, as well as effect vision, blood-pressure, the liver and pancreas ability to help maintain glucose and insulin levels.
With Chantix you still have to want to quit, but it really helps in that it does something to the neuroceptors (sp) in the brain instead of using nicotine.
After alot of research, Chantix does seem to be the best drug. So wish us luck. And good luck to the rest of you quitters!!

RobT
09-18-2007, 02:23
Sweet! You guys have a great attitude! Remember to read the instructional packets for Chantix and use it exactly as it says.

I won't wish you good luck, instead I'll say congrats!

Later, Rob.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-18-2007, 07:09
After talking to several Pharmacists and different doctors, BH and I started on Chantix. This friday will be our quit day. The endocrinologist says smoking can lower testosterone levels in men, prevent absorbtion of D3, which you get from the sun, as well as effect vision, blood-pressure, the liver and pancreas ability to help maintain glucose and insulin levels.
With Chantix you still have to want to quit, but it really helps in that it does something to the neuroceptors (sp) in the brain instead of using nicotine.
After alot of research, Chantix does seem to be the best drug. So wish us luck. And good luck to the rest of you quitters!!

You can Do It! Be sure the Dr. gave you a 'scrip for the Chantix program. It should be something like .5 mg once a day for three days, .5 mg twice a day for four, then 1mg twice a day until done. Something like that. That allows your system to get used to the Chantix and helps avoid alot of the side effects like gas, stomach upset, etc. I had no problems at all with it.

Pick your reason for quitting, commit and get it done. Let us know how you're doing!!:smiley20:

Ramgib
09-18-2007, 10:41
We do have 'scripts. We are on our second day doing the 2 .5s. So far no side-effects. We ran out of cigs last nite and we still haven't gone to get any. (Even tho our "quit" day is Friday.) It is weird. Usually we have to run out even late at nite to get some. Here it is 12 hours later, and no big deal. I love that first morning cig too. I am starting to crave one a little now because of talking about it! But I will try to hold off. I know I can smoke until Friday, but I thought if I could at least cut back before then, it would be easier. I know it won't be real easy, especially after 25 years of smoking and up to 2.5 packs a day. Damn, time to chew some carrots!!
Thanks all for your support.

Lisa

mpd525
09-19-2007, 19:03
2 more days, and i will again be well on my way to be a non-smoker. I'm nervous but it's time to let it go. I'm diving all weekend, so that will help out, its one of the many reasons i'm quitting, so that helps.

THANKS ST'ers for all the support for me and the other quitters out there.

BobArnold8265
09-19-2007, 20:57
Sorry I don't have any advice on how to quit but wanted to say the very best of luck to you in your effort !!! My Father smoked for nearly 35 years and finally decided to quit. That was 10+ years ago and he claims that he hasnever felt better and thinks it was one of his wisest decisions.

Besides, think of all the cool scuba gadgets you'll be able to buy with the money you'll be saving !!

wifeofdzorn00
09-19-2007, 22:05
cold turkey it works and just knowing that it can interfer with your diving should be a good enough reason, My husband said it was him or the cigs, Not sure yet If I made the right choice but I have saved a ton of money and my family is a whole lot happier

jimmysdevoted
09-30-2007, 22:38
When jimmy was going in for his cervical fusion back in 2005 he had to quit.
Thankfully he had an understanding doctr. He used the Q10 patches for abotu a week. And the worke don sucking candies and gum. But what he;pped him most ofall was tranquilizers. His doctor prescribed him some very mild anti anxiety tranqs. It took about two weeks and he quit.

Aside from setting his mind at it, his doctors worked with him and that was a big help.
If you cant afford tranquilizers or get an RX, my daughter and I swear by Calms Forte. Its an herbal tranquilizer that really does work.

RobT
10-01-2007, 02:51
So...mpd525 and Ramgib, how's it going? Have you continued on the road to no longer smoking? If you have cheated, but continued after that it is ok, don't sweat the petty stuff. It is all attitude now.45, you still hanging in there as well? Updates, folks! We're behind you and would like to hear how it's going.Later, Rob.

RobT
10-01-2007, 03:03
So what is wrong with this message board? The above post was three different paragraphs untill the board squished it into one. I tried to fix it and it came back the same.Later, Rob.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
10-02-2007, 07:25
So...mpd525 and Ramgib, how's it going? Have you continued on the road to no longer smoking? If you have cheated, but continued after that it is ok, don't sweat the petty stuff. It is all attitude now.45, you still hanging in there as well? Updates, folks! We're behind you and would like to hear how it's going.Later, Rob.

Yep! Still smoke free and am actually starting to feel a little better too! I'm noticing how much it really does stink. Again I'm NOT going to be one of those reformed smokers but it really does stink! Any way now all I need to do is watch the weight and get fit.

Let's hear it MP and Ram how you doin'?:smiley20:

Ramgib
10-02-2007, 09:16
Doing great here. Chantix really works. I have smoked a couple of cigs. But for the most part cravings are not unbearable. We washed down all walls and steamed clean carpet. Nasty, Nasty Nasty. Cigarette smoke really stinks. I can now smell it on other people who smoke and in their cars.

When I smoked 2.5 packs a day, my pulse rate was 90. After just 4 days of no cigs, my pulse was down to 66. Before my BP was steady at 130/75. Now it is 120/60. My sleep is more restful. I can taste food better (or worse depends). I have noticed I taste salt easier.
My dreams are more vivid. Not scarey or anything just more real.
I have found out that you if you quit the Chantix suddenly, your craving for cigs will come back. Doctor says that patients are now being told that when you decide to quit the Chantix, you must slowly ween yourself from it. Takes about a month.

Congrats to everyone who is quitting. Just don't ever forget you were a smoker and don't be asses toward those who still do.

caroln
10-02-2007, 09:39
Congrats to you guys for quitting! My DH did it about 2 years ago now after smoking for more then 1/2 his life. It sounds weird, but if you're having a craving drink some oj. There's apparently some enzyme or something in oj that breaks the craving. Someone told my DH about that when he was quitting and it really did help.

RobT
10-02-2007, 15:21
Great job guys! I will agree, the person who treats people who smoke like they are lower class people is really the lesser person. Most of these people are former smokers. I vowed that I would never be that guy. It doesn't do anyone any good, most of the time it makes it even worse and harder to quit.

Way to go!

Later, Rob.

Ramgib
10-02-2007, 15:34
Sipping OJ is a good idea when craving hits. But since we are having to watch our glucose levels, sipping on ice water helps a lot. Chewing sugarless gum is good. (Just don't be like a cow chewing its cud)LOL Luckily for us and with the help of Chantix the cravings are relatively mild compared to cold turkey. The mechanics of smoking (checking in purse for cigs before leaving house,) is more of a problem than the physical yearning. Keeping your mind busy helps. I do puzzles and other mind activities.
One of the better things I have noticed in quitting, is that my skin looks better and makeup goes on better. Even some wrinkles around eyes and mouth and on hands have seem to lessen.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to sit back and light up right now. But I don't want to mess up the "winning streak" I got going.

Ramgib
10-02-2007, 16:04
Email I got from my daughter:

Hey Mom,

I was thinking how the other day you said that ya'll were smoking 3 packs a day each...I tend to do a lot of math when I can't sleep..soooo..assuming you get the normal 8 hours of sleep a night(which I don't know for sure about ya'll) and that it takes about 10 minutes to smoke one cigarette(it does me, but I AM a slow smoker though)...then there was only approx. 5 1/2 hours out of a 16 hour day that ya'll were NOT smoking...WOW! No wonder every picture of ya'll was with a cigarette in your hand! LOL!

Calculations:
If 60(1 pack= 20 cigarette, and you smoked 3 packs) cigarettes are smoked in the 16 hours you are awake and it takes 10 minutes to smoke one cigarette, then:

60cigs/16hrs you are awake=3.75 cigarettes per hour, rounded to 4.
60min./4cigs=1 cigarette every 15 minutes.
In one 15 minute segment you are lighting up at 0min., putting it out at 10 min., and then lighting up again at 15 min.
This leaves a 5 minute window that you are not smoking.
5 min. of not smoking x 4 segments= 20 min. of not smoking.
20 min. of not smoking x 16 hrs. you are awake= 320 minutes of not smoking or 5.33 waking hours of not smoking.

Glad ya'll are quitting. I am now quitting my 10 cigs a day.

Love ya

mpd525
10-02-2007, 16:43
i'm doing ok, i guess, i could be doing alot better, i had my last pack this weekend, and i've been really tempted to buy more, but i just get my DP, and slim jim, and walk out of the store really fast. I've had one here and there, but overall it's not too bad.

According to the misses my mood has been swinging back and forth, and it hasn't been taking much to get me wound up, especially dealing with the VERY FINE CITIZENS, of my town(absolutely no sarcasm). But i'm hanging in there.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
10-02-2007, 16:52
i'm doing ok, i guess, i could be doing alot better, i had my last pack this weekend, and i've been really tempted to buy more, but i just get my DP, and slim jim, and walk out of the store really fast. I've had one here and there, but overall it's not too bad.

According to the misses my mood has been swinging back and forth, and it hasn't been taking much to get me wound up, especially dealing with the VERY FINE CITIZENS, of my town(absolutely no sarcasm). But i'm hanging in there.

Keep it up!! The mood swings will go away after about three weeks. That is another reason I went with Chantix. It really is a lifesaver IMHO for someone wanting to quit. Without it you'll have to deal with your mood swings and be even more determined to quit. It can be done and if YOU want to bad enough you WILL quit!!

Keep the faith and ask your wife to be understanding. In the long run you both will be better off!

highdesert
10-02-2007, 20:34
Took me two years to quit off/on after seven years of "the habit". That was back when cigs were $.50 a pack. Can you really afford it? I got to the point where I would buy a pack, smoke a couple, then look at the pack and tell myself this was nuts. I'd crumple it up and throw it out, $$ and all. The financial cost of my stupidity finally reinforced what I knew about the health risks, and I quit.

RobT
10-03-2007, 06:21
I got to the point where I would buy a pack, smoke a couple, then look at the pack and tell myself this was nuts. I'd crumple it up and throw it out, $$ and all.

Ha Ha Ha! You don't know how many packs I threw away after starting to quit. I would want a smoke, buy a pack, take a puff, get disgusted for having done so, put it out and throw the pack away. Well worth the money wasted to learn the lesson in the long run.

Keep up the good work, everyone. Just remember, a step backwards won't kill ya, the alternative of not quitting will.

We're behind you all the way. If you have a problem, maybe someone here will have the answer.

Later, Rob.

BoomerNJ
10-03-2007, 07:20
Hey all,

I quit smoking 5 months ago & am doing really well. I used two web sites that really helped me, the first is just support, www.quitnet.com. There are tons of other quitters that are just waiting to help you. The second was a method of quitting that uses a Zen type approach to getting through the craves, www.quitsmokingonline.com. The second one is really what made the biggest impact on me, IMHO. I have used the $$$ I have save on cigs to buy a new Harley (the monthly payment is what I used to spend on cigs, so if I go back to smoking, the Harley goes bye-bye) & to support my new diving habit...

Good luck to everyone. One of the big keys is that you can never have even one puff of a cig again or it will put you right back to square one as far as how bad the craves are. The father away from your last puff you get, the easier the cravings get...

Take care all & again, good luck & hang in there!

Boomer

jimmysdevoted
10-03-2007, 23:43
My husband quit a few years ago, just prior to his neck surgery. Anyway he dreams of smoking and usually after I make a really good meal he sits back and says he'd like a cigarette. MAybe thast why I cook badly now. Nickname at home is Flaming Skillet.
He tapered off by going to swisher sweet cigars. You can't smoke them like cigarettes at all.

The new drug seems to have some benefits. I would certainly like to
see it available OTC, if it helps that much. I know the Clams Forte you dont need a RX for and works. Actually any tranq will help with the mood swings.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
12-21-2007, 10:33
Just checking on everyone else's progress!! Were you successful or does the battle rage on? Myself with a small transgression last Sunday while on Bourbon Street I have been successful for four months now. This is a tough addiction to beat though!!

adv_diver1
12-21-2007, 11:36
chew on cinnamon stix to help with the oral fixation and take Burdock Root to speed up the nicotine out of the blood. Drink lots of fruit juice/water and take alot of naps for the first 4 or 5 days. Also get rid of all of your smoking items like cigarettes, lighters, ashtrays...

Good luck.

Ohmdiver
12-22-2007, 18:26
last cigerette was August 9th, 1999 at 1:00 pm. Did it cold turkey. The only thing that gets to me is if I see to many quit smoking commercials. There are still moments when the urge strikes but it is managable. Best of luck to those that try to quit...

Goober
12-22-2007, 19:25
IMHO and experiance just do it. Smoking is a crutch, it makes you a cripple. When you convince yourself that you can't "do it" without help, you even cripple yourself. I smoked for 18 years. When they found my blockage and did the intervention cath...(stent and angio), I just quit.

It was not easy, nothing worth having ever is. No aids, no whinning about wanting a cigarette, just do it. You were given the will power to achieve whatever you want when you came in this world, don't tell me you have refused that power. Question really is, do you want to quit or do you want to discuss quiting?

bmp51
12-22-2007, 19:46
IMHO and experiance just do it. Smoking is a crutch, it makes you a cripple. When you convince yourself that you can't "do it" without help, you even cripple yourself. I smoked for 18 years. When they found my blockage and did the intervention cath...(stent and angio), I just quit.

It was not easy, nothing worth having ever is. No aids, no whinning about wanting a cigarette, just do it. You were given the will power to achieve whatever you want when you came in this world, don't tell me you have refused that power. Question really is, do you want to quit or do you want to discuss quiting?

have never smoked, and I will never smoke, but a few of my co-workers smoke(d) like mad, well 2 of the 3 went cold turkey, 1 of the 2 are smoking again, the 3rd used that new pill (with the turtle in the commercial) and that 3rd had a psychotic break ... (FYI it’s a side effect) if you can quit cold turkey do so... this guy went freaking nutz... I work at a hospital (not on the medical side) but he was lucky he had issues @ work where help was just down the hall..

Careful on them drugs kids…

DarinMartell
12-31-2007, 11:31
I smoked a pack a day for 15 years. I tried everything, then 5 years ago decided to quit for good.

Dr. perscribed Zyban, but my Phamacist pointed out that it was not covered by insurance buy Welbutrin (same drug) was. I started it and smoked for 2 weeks to time my quit when I was going to be on vacation so I would not be in my normal rutine.

Worked great, but 5 years later I still get cravings and when I dream I am sometimes smoking in them. I know it is who I am so I have NEVER had another smoke, Not a good cigar, nothing. I know I would be right back on it if I had even 1.

I see this started in August I hope whatever you decided on has worked!

JoeSat
01-10-2008, 22:09
You have taken the first step. You have to decide you really want to quit! Cold turkey is the best method. Actually it is the most proven method that works. Call your local cancer society and see if they have any smoking cessation classes. They can be very helpful and will give you support. Just remember you’re an addict and always will be so you have to practice being a quitter everyday for the rest of your life. But the rewards are worth it. Good luck!

texarkandy
01-10-2008, 22:32
Chantix is currently cheaper than cigs

RnSdiver
01-10-2008, 22:57
My Inspiration to Quit Smoking back in 1985 was a very cute girl named Kim.
She wouldn't even go to dinner with me until I had quit for three weeks. We parted ways after a couple of months, but I never went back to smoking. My wife wants to meet her someday, to tell her, Thanks!!

cyclone3565
01-11-2008, 07:36
I am taking the Chantix right now and it seems to be working. I still sneak one here and there, but otherwise doing okay. My goal is also to keep the weight off.

Tom A
01-11-2008, 08:31
i smoked for 25 yrs was at 21/2 packs a day when i quit it wasnt my first attemt at quitting an been to stop smoking class 3 other times would smoke with the patch on the third time was a charm came to my stop smoking date gave them away to a friend stood there drinking a beer with him havent had a cigg in 6 yrs now good luck if you need any help pm

LaCroix42
01-17-2008, 19:52
As has already been said, quit cold turkey. Yeah, it sucks. Bad. I quit four years ago and started up about a year ago (stress started to get to me, yeah, it's a cop out but...). When I quit I had been smoking four about 10 years. I had already weened myself from Pall Mall and Kamel Red to Camel lights beforehand.

The weekend before Christmas I took my popup camper and a buddy (who had the truck) to a statepark. Laptop, books, magazines and GPS. Damn near killed eachother a few times, but we both knew what was causing it (since we'd known eachother about 15 years at that time) and went our separate ways when it got too bad. They say it takes about 72 hours to get the nicotine out of your system, we stayed there Saturday, Sunday and most of Monday to get past the worst of it.

I was still a jerk at times but my (8 months pregnant) wife knew why and was VERY forgiving of me. Betcha can't guess why I quit. :)

The biggest thing that I found was that you really have to want to quit. You say that you need to, and you fool yourself into thinking that you're ready but you usually aren't. I tried four times prior (cold turkey twice but staying local, the patch and the nicotine inhaler) but just didn't really WANT to quit. When my daughter was imminently due I knew that the time was right and I WANTED to quit, because I don't want her growing up seeing me smoke. (Yeah, I'm smoking again, I don't inside and never where she can see me. Yes I know she can smell it which is why I'm going camping again soon).

Regarding Chantix: Look carefully at the side effects. I met a woman today who is certain that it brought about MS, temporary full blindness, and hallucinations in her. She's a bit of a nutter, but nutter's are sometimes the sanest.

My 2 cents worth, I'll take my 1.5 cents change in Great British Pounds, thank you!

Ohmdiver
01-17-2008, 20:51
I agree you have got to WANT it. It took the death of my Mother (a heavy smoker) and five years to convince myself it was time to quit.
I couldn't do it for my wife, I couldn't do it for either of my children, I went cold turkey the same week as my second basic open water class. My wife was just glad that I quit, she didn't care what the reason...

maverick
01-18-2008, 00:40
Go get hypnotized 2 stop smokeing, it worked 4 some folks. Anyway it's a start. Then cold turkey. Chew gum and toothpicks. JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!

LCFrigon
01-18-2008, 02:21
Did the person who asked for the advice in the first place ever quit?

I am sittin on 2 months cold turkey now after many many mnay many failures....this time don't see it failing..don't want nor feel liike smokin

I am currently in South Korea where smokes still cost $2.50... however, they also have cigaretes that are 0.5mg tar and 0.05mg nicotine. Basically they are smoking air. But I had cut down to them for about a year before quiting this time.

Always before I had nicotine withdawls, but this time nothing..natta..so in the end it was breaking the actual habit not addiction which I found even harder. Smokes were always my reward for finishing work or activities or to unwind.

I broke the habit by cutting out or changing the times I did things. Cut out booze and hit the gym hard to keep the pounds off that comes from the extra intake of food, and even started drawing to keep the hands busy and to relax.

So far so good

Just wonderin if the starter of this thread was sucessful

azdiver
01-22-2008, 19:43
I quit smoking more than 25 years ago... used to smoke almost 2 packs a day before I did too.

One day I sat down and chain smoked one after another until I turned green and puked my guts out. Have never been able to pick up a cigarette without wanting to puke since then!!!

doczerothree
02-11-2008, 10:32
try skoal ..... i know nicotine is still nicotine but at least you won't be taking smoke into your lungs.

good luck
SEMPER DEEP

KGNickl
02-11-2008, 10:39
Just stop. But before you stop prepare yourself for weeks to months of feeling horrible. You may also want to stay away from people and areas where smoke will be for the first few months. Then the real test is when people are smoking around you and you can resist the temptation. Then you really know you good when you feel sick smelling it around you! I know the chances of quitting and staying done are slim, but good luck!

azdiver
02-11-2008, 18:22
try skoal ..... i know nicotine is still nicotine but at least you won't be taking smoke into your lungs.

good luck
SEMPER DEEP

sure.... you won't get smoke in your lungs but you'll run the risk of getting cancer of the mouth!!

WAHMof2
02-12-2008, 11:33
As much as I think spitting tobacco is gross, I'll have to admit that the Skoal IS an alternative. My hubby was a heavy smoker for 28 years (yes he's a little older than me :smiley2:), and he tried everything in the book, including hypnosis. The Skoal did the trick for him. As far as the mouth cancer thing, well if you're going to get cancer you're going to get cancer. You see a lot more healthy 80 yr old men who chew than you do healthy 70 yr olds who smoke. Of course the best thing is to just quit nicotine altogether, but I don't think this is possible for some folks. Chewing is kinda like the lesser of the evils I guess.

DiverJoe
03-10-2008, 13:00
I quit cold-turkey after years. My recommendation if carry toothpicks. the habit of having something to "fiddle with" was the hardest part for me. It's too easy to switch to snacking (which adds fat) so i'd say start a regular gym process and keep tooth picks around.

Good luck, it will never completely go away (the desire) but you will enjoy it if you keep in shape!

Safe Diving!
DiverJoe

TRACI
03-11-2008, 08:20
Chantix

torrey
03-11-2008, 08:44
I more-or-less quit cold turkey a little over a year ago on new years eve. The only time I will smoke is when I'm camping with my friends now. As soon as the camping trip is done, so am I...any remaining goes in the trash. To be honest, when you've been off of it for awhile, the first few are pretty nasty. I have a couple of reasons to stick with it...wife is allergic to smoke and I have a baby on the way. I have no desire to make it a habit again.

FacDave
03-11-2008, 22:36
Stay underwater, it makes those cigarettes hard to light...

Grizbear98
03-12-2008, 14:54
Believe it or not I used to smoke cigars not too long ago and managed to get myself addicted to them. It started out as a fun lets smoke thing, then turned into a I need one every day thing. I quit cold turkey after seeing pictures of lung cancer and having a relative diagnosed with it, I threw my cigars in the trash, all 12 of them that I had in my dorm room at the time. The hardest thing I've ever done was see Cuban cigars and not buy one and smoke it, all for 12 dollars in South America. If you want to quit, just do it, its the best way.

Diver Dave
03-19-2008, 17:29
How's this for help. I quit in 1996 at age 43 after 20+ years of 2 packs a day. In 2006, I'm in the best shape of my life. Hiking, surfing, skiing, diving. My 4 kids are in their 20's and are my best friends. Out of sheer dumb luck and a misread of a routine chest X-Ray, Lung cancer. 2 surgeries later, I have 1 1/2 lungs and feel lucky. Every 6 mos I go for a CT scan with my wife of 30 years and pray it's clean. This is what a smoker can probably look forward to. Go to your local hospital, get into "Smokenders" or "Smokeless". You're 28. Stop. or.....don't. Your choice. No more whining. Bless all.

tndiverdude
03-29-2008, 21:20
my doctor prescribed anti anxiety pills when i ahd to quit for plate surgery. I also ate opranges and sugar free sucking candies.
The thing thathelped teyh most was the anti anxiety pills, Theer is one called calms foorte, its an over the counter one and it works wonders.

JimHar99
03-30-2008, 13:54
I quit in 1991 after smoking for about 20 years. I wanted to quit for about a year, before I finally did it. Every day I would wake up and tell myself "today I quit", but I never did. I just thought that I didn't have the will power to do it.
Finally one day I went without a smoke. Then I made two days. Then three, four, five. After about two weeks I didn't want to go back, because of the hard work it took for me to make it that far.

If you want to quit, you can do it. It wasn't easy but it can be done. You just have to be strong and be determined.

bkp
03-30-2008, 16:24
I 2nd what Jim said above: you need to *want* to quit. If you don't *really* want to, you won't. Patches, drugs, and threats notwithstanding.

I was two-pack a day for 14 years... Quit four years ago, and haven't looked back... I really, REALLY, wanted to quit...

I figure I've saved enough since I quit to buy a full set of high-end gear... FIVE times; or to do FOUR full week Peter Hughes liveaboard dive trips WITH my wife; or to do both Cozumel AND Bonaire every year for the next THREE years... you get the point...

Dive safely...

LCFrigon
04-23-2008, 01:07
I have been quit now for 5 months....I know it is not a long time, and in my dreams i am still a smoker (when that stops i know I'll be free of it altogether)

The only way I could have done it was with the loving support of my wife. And by loving support I DO mean consant nagging, yelling, theats, blackmail, belittling, and all sorts of other support she could force on me.

The other thing that made me stop was the fact that I found myself full of ****....I had tried so many times to quit smoking that it had gotten to be a joke not only to myself but to friends and coworkers etc. I realized that these stupid little beautiful tasty....oopps....disgusting cancer sticks had more control over me than my own will.

So, like I said , with the wife's support, ("STOP F%#$@#$$^ Smoking OR I'M LEAVING!!!") I bought a pack of smokes put them on the shelf in the bathroom and then instead of smoking one every morning i broke one and flushed it instead.

Five months later...feel much better...still occasionaly miss them when out for a beer with friends who smoke, but once I realized those things had too much control over my life it was time to go.

Truly, I think it is why the wife hated it so much...she doesn't like sharing her control over me ;) (BTW the wife is about 5' and weighs nothing, but she'd still kick my A^^)

reactive
04-23-2008, 01:39
I've had amazing success with the patch. The only time I have hard core cravings is when I go to the pub with my buddies and have a few beers.

buddhasummer
04-23-2008, 02:21
yeah what others have said, I smoked 2 packs Marlborough red for 12 years one day I thought why do I do this other than nicotine addiction, I couldnt come up with an answer and right there and then something switched on in my head, I put out the ciggy I was smoking and never thought about it again, that was 2 years ago. It doesnt matter what you try unless youve got it sorted in your head its almost impossible to stop, make the absolute decision and its not so difficult, dont look at it like youre giving something up as this denotes a loss of some type, its no loss. Good luck eh...

Babster
04-23-2008, 04:12
I smoked a pack a day for 28 years until almost 3 years ago. I tried to quit so many times it's not even funny. It got to the point where every time I got a cold I was getting bronchitis. Now I don't miss it at all.

I tried the patch. I tried cutting down. I tried Zyban. Usually I was smoking again within 3 weeks. I quit once for 6 months in the Navy, and once for 9 months (for a girlfriend). Soon as she was gone, so was the quit.

Finally, the last time when I was quitting (I was using the lozenges, and I was barely smoking because once again so sick and coughing so hard I literally could not smoke) I went to the bookstore, as I loved getting good "quit smoking" support material when I was on the wagon. I think I have about 5 or 6 quit smoking books. This time I picked up Allen Carr's The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It looked a little wierd, but what the heck....

Wow! That was the best $15 I ever spent in my life. About a third of the way through the book, it was like a switch was turned off in my head, and I could see what an idiocy it was to spend over $5-$6 a DAY to a tobacco company for a product that was literally killing me!

I'm not going to go into it all, except to say that I suspect this book literally saved my life. I can be around smokers and not sit there trying to vacuum in the smell thinking "oooooh I miss it so baaaaaad". I feel bad for them and wish I could give them a hand out of the pit as well.

I and my wife have purchased and handed out probably about a dozen copies of book now, and have had success with several coworkers. Like anything else, YOU have to be ready to quit. Obviously, it doesn't work as well with folks who aren't big reader. However, the book is sold as an audiobook as well, and they have seminars in major cities.

The book can only be bought at Barnes and Noble (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Easy-Way-to-Stop-Smoking/Allen-Carr/e/9781402718618/?itm=1) (it's published by them) or Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616). Read some of the other reviews, as they are more eloquent than I am.

Even someone who has been off the cigarettes (or chew) for years can benefit from this book because it will help you become a HAPPY ex-smoker, and make you understand that you didn't "give up" anything at all.

Preview
The Easy Way to Stop Smoking - Google Book Search (http://books.google.com/books?id=XcE8QFUobb4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Allen+Carr&sig=60c0Kqn2voY_FKA-NZK08VBsmrc#PPA11,M1)

Barnes and Noble (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Easy-Way-to-Stop-Smoking/Allen-Carr/e/9781402718618/?itm=1) and Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616) pages

Good luck to anyone trying to quit! YES, it can be done, unimaginable as it seems. It will be the biggest thing you've done for yourself in your life. Do it!

Bruce

waytooslow
04-23-2008, 09:48
Try the chantix.. it worked great for me - no side effects and as of last weekend, I am tabacoo free for 1 year.

Downsides - weight gain for me. I gained 15 lbs in a few months, that in conjuction with shattered collarbone from a get off during a road racing incident - I tacked on another 15.

But do I feel better? - Not that much change. But i now can smell smokers from a car behind me at highway speeds :0

mobeeno
04-24-2008, 00:05
If you stop smoking, don't tell anyone and don't count how long you have stopped.