PDA

View Full Version : Undercurrent magazine

wolfen42
05-05-2008, 10:58
Anyone out there have a subscription to this magazine? It describes itself as the consumer reports of diving. Is that a good description? Are they overstating their status? Are there other publications you'd recommend over them?

Scuba Diving Magazine for Serious Divers, Undercurrent Reviews Dive Resorts and Scuba Diving Equipment (http://www.undercurrent.org/)

mike_s
05-05-2008, 11:05
Anyone out there have a subscription to this magazine? It describes itself as the consumer reports of diving. Is that a good description? Are they overstating their status? Are there other publications you'd recommend over them?

Scuba Diving Magazine for Serious Divers, Undercurrent Reviews Dive Resorts and Scuba Diving Equipment (http://www.undercurrent.org/)

If you do a search on old posts there really is some good info on this magazine. here and SB.

you'll find that most people a.) Liked the magazine, b.) Thought the subscription price was a little high. c.) but didn't renew for a 2nd year even though they liked it. (I guess because the price was a little high).

They also put out a yearly pocket guide with some biased and unbiased opinions about dive operations, resorts, and liveaboards.

Byte Me
05-05-2008, 11:13
I'm a recent subscriber and even though I've only gotten 2 issues thus far I like it. No pictures, no ads, but the reviews are in depth (no pun intended) and they cover stuff that would be lost in most other mags. They did a great write up of Cabo Pulmo in the first issue I got which got me thinking we should go there on an upcoming trip!

I also like they don't pull any punches they'll tell you what they liked and what they didn't with no sugar coating.

fireflock
05-05-2008, 11:36
They're like CR in that they don't take any ads or money from the dive ops they are reviewing. They work hard so the dive op doesn't know that they are any different from any other diver there (they pay full price and don't get special treatment).

They're not like Consumer Reports in that they don't have extensive gear comparisons or tests.

I think access to the archives (via a subscription) is well worth the price if you're planning a trip to someplace that's even a little bit off the beaten path. If you're just going to Coz and the Keys (like I've done for the past couple of years), then you can find the same info elsewhere.

cummings66
05-05-2008, 12:25
I think Mike S summed it up as most people feel that way. I enjoyed it, but didn't renew the second year and won't renew now. Too much money.

wolfen42
05-05-2008, 12:43
Kind of ironic that the main reason people aren't subscribed is the price. Considering the current issue has an article about people being driven out of or being discouraged from trying the sport by the increasing costs.

mike_s
05-05-2008, 12:58
Kind of ironic that the main reason people aren't subscribed is the price. Considering the current issue has an article about people being driven out of or being discouraged from trying the sport by the increasing costs.

maybe they should read the article the wrote and look at their own prices? :smilie40:

wolfen42
05-05-2008, 13:01

maybe they should read the article the wrote and look at their own prices? :smilie40:

Yeah... I'm guessing that they are in a difficult position since they don't take advertising and dont have the longterm sponsorship that Consumer Reports has...

fireflock
05-05-2008, 13:20
I think they just appeal to a certain submarket of divers. If you're taking even 1 high dollar dive trip each year, the price is negligible if it saves you from making a mistake when booking that big trip.

If you dive local or already know the ins and out of the destinations you visit, there's not a lot of value in the subscription at any price.

elijahb
05-14-2008, 19:49
how much is a annual subscription?

mike_s
05-14-2008, 21:33
how much is a annual subscription?

Google is your friend. $39 bucks

undercurrent subscription - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-23,GGLG:en&q=undercurrent+subscription)

EDIT: $10 bucks more for you folks north of the border

scubasamurai
05-14-2008, 22:23
yes received a copy and i was shocked on the price. no real advertising noted and very straight forward, unlike sports diver, but man need a loan to read that one.

h2odragon1
05-15-2008, 10:27
I've been a subscriber for at least 5 yrs, and enjoy every issue. Yes, it's a lot like Consumer Reports in that it takes no addvertising from resorts or equiptment manufacturers. Unlike C.R. they do only a little of their own research, (the sidebar reports, and the flotsom and jetsom section) and these are good. Most of the reports come from subscribers who have visited these areas. The reports can be slanted if the diver/reporter is spoiled and does not get that at every place they go to. I, for one, like to go with bare-bones places and enjoy the diving. I haven't posted yet , mostly because I do not have a gift for words that many of the diver/reporters seem to have. The Chap Book is a listing of all the reports for the previous one or two years.
Over-All, a great mag.:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

CompuDude
05-15-2008, 14:51
For that kind of money, I want glossy photos, gear reviews, etc... you know, like Consumer Reports.

I can go elsewhere for trip reports and resort reviews, without paying a penny.

From what I recall, they don't pay their contributors much (if anything), so I don't know what kind of costs they have, but it seems to me the costs can't be very high. As such, the amount they're charging, in return for what they deliver, seems out of touch with reality.