PDA

View Full Version : Wireless transmitter

Judestudio
08-04-2007, 21:59
What do you do with the wireless transmitter after dives? Do you leave it in the first stage port, or take it out? I have a feeling I shouldn't leave it in to prevent it getting damaged. But if you take it out, do you need to replace the port hole with a port blanking plug (that screw with an O-ring) so that nothing gets into the first stage?

Thanks guys!

ertechsg
08-04-2007, 22:58
I leave mine in just put it back in the reg bag.

TxHockeyGuy
08-04-2007, 23:20
What do you do with the wireless transmitter after dives? Do you leave it in the first stage port, or take it out? I have a feeling I shouldn't leave it in to prevent it getting damaged. But if you take it out, do you need to replace the port hole with a port blanking plug (that screw with an O-ring) so that nothing gets into the first stage?

Thanks guys!

Just leave it in, they are not that fragile. Also if you constantly remove it then you'll put more wear and tear on that o-ring than you should.

Travelnsj
08-04-2007, 23:38
Leave it in...I learned the hard way.....I took mine off a couple of times...put the plug back in....but when you screw with that 0 ring on the transmitter....and your thousands of miles from home....leave it in.

thor
08-04-2007, 23:43
I leave mine in and keep it in my reg bag also

Judestudio
08-05-2007, 00:22
Great! Leave it in that is. :smiley2:

ScaredSilly
08-07-2007, 14:10
Yeah they are ro-bust - but I prefer to keep them on the ro side and not on the bust side so I do the opposite - I remove it. That o-rings cost less than a nickel and I can easily replace it. In fact, after watching the boat crew grab my cylinder/BCD out of the water during our last trip I am putting mine on a short hose just so that they are not tempted to grab it - accidently or not.

Black-Gorrilla
08-07-2007, 14:30
i was thinking about the same thing... the hose is good... but what if it his against stuff? can it take it?

Lucky(AR)
08-07-2007, 16:13
i do the same just leave in and out back in reg back.

ScaredSilly
08-07-2007, 18:18
i was thinking about the same thing... the hose is good... but what if it his against stuff? can it take it?

You put it on a short hose - like a 9" HP hose and then tuck it away with it secure it to your harness or to what else works for you.

tc_rain
08-07-2007, 21:21
I also leave mine in all of the time. I just make sure my regs are sitting on top of everything else in the gear bag.

Live2Dive Skate2Live
08-09-2007, 23:36
I leave mine in and I haven't had any trouble. I agree with TxHockeyGuy, removing too often seems like it would lead to problems with the o-ring.

coral-hugger
08-27-2007, 22:14
I leave it on; it's on a very short hose (6" ?). But then, I handle the whole assembly like a baby; it's always on top and not crimped.

Buy extra o-rings but also batteries for both comp and transmitter!

Judestudio
08-27-2007, 23:31
I leave it on; it's on a very short hose (6" ?). But then, I handle the whole assembly like a baby; it's always on top and not crimped.

Buy extra o-rings but also batteries for both comp and transmitter!
Why do you use a hose for the transmitter? Does it help on reception?

TAH 73
08-28-2007, 07:17
Why do you use a hose for the transmitter? Does it help on reception?

With the transmitter on a hose it is no longer firmly attached to the yoke, therefore it is no longer avalible to be used as a handle for a misguided person moving gear around.

Judestudio
08-28-2007, 07:46
With the transmitter on a hose it is no longer firmly attached to the yoke, therefore it is no longer avalible to be used as a handle for a misguided person moving gear around.
Oh right. Good point. I shall get one too then.

ScaredSilly
08-28-2007, 09:13
You can find 6" and 9" HP hoses. I used a 9". If you put it on a hose you will need to get a spool. This is what is used to seal a SPG to a HP hose. This is a small metal rod that has two oring on each end. Remove the oring from the currently on the transmitter and place the spool into the transmitter, then mate with the HP hose. Attach the HP to the 1st stage as normal.

Just for giggles I picked up a Suunto quick disconnect for mine as well. I have seen one person use the QD and transmitter directly with their 1st stage. I would not reccomend that as you then have a rigid lever arm that is just asking to be snapped off.

reefugee
08-30-2007, 12:46
Another vote for leaving it on.

Travelnsj
08-30-2007, 13:54
I have mine attached to the first stage.....and I have picked it up with a tank on and caught myself....That 6" hose sound like the way to go.

Xspect
08-30-2007, 18:00
Leave it on.

Travelnsj
08-30-2007, 18:02
Leave it on.

When you say that do you have a problem with a 6" hose?

CompuDude
08-30-2007, 18:46
I leave mine on.

No huge objections to the 6/9" hose, but I prefer simplicity. Once you add the spool, you're adding THREE o-rings to the system (one on each end of the spool, and the one on the hose connector itself). O-rings are failure points, so I prefer to keep as few of those as possible.

Travelnsj
08-30-2007, 20:23
Good point....I just fear people even myself grabbing that part when moving around tank/gear....and seeing snap off...perhaps if it were maybe of Carbon Steel...this would be a moot discussion...LOL

Scoobidoo
08-30-2007, 21:23
I leave mine on.

No huge objections to the 6/9" hose, but I prefer simplicity. Once you add the spool, you're adding THREE o-rings to the system (one on each end of the spool, and the one on the hose connector itself). O-rings are failure points, so I prefer to keep as few of those as possible.
Good point!

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 12:34
also heard that some of the wireless transmitters have been know to get "interrupte" by some camera flashes. but i have not actually seen it personally yet

Travelnsj
08-31-2007, 14:31
I have heard that also....but have never had it happen to me...the one thing I really do not like about the D9...is when you are in line to jump in...press the start button an new diver in front of you just jumped in having to come back to the boat adj weights etc...and the D9 turns off....you are now jumping in....forgot in the rush to pare it again....%^$@#!^&!!

jeepbrew
08-31-2007, 21:11
Like most people have posted, I leave mine in and put it in the reg bag.

Aussie
08-31-2007, 23:20
I can live without the transmitter on my D9 and Vytec. It shows the same data as my spg. I never take any notice of the time left section. Its a pain to pair the computers to the transmitter. Sometimes there are other divers with Suunto transmitters on the boat so I dont bother to pair just incase they dont dive with a backup SPG. I dont know why they do not dive with a backup spg but they do. Makes me feel a little nervous.

Aussie

Travelnsj
09-01-2007, 09:48
That would make me nervous without a backup...more than once I have jumped in looked at the D9 "FAILED".....gotta have that backup.

Aussie
09-01-2007, 10:28
That would make me nervous without a backup...more than once I have jumped in looked at the D9 "FAILED".....gotta have that backup.

Yeah, I have seen people with only a transmitter and no backup. They say "I am using one less hose". One less very important hose.

I would suggest SPG (good glass/brass verison) before I would even look at a transmitter.

Aussie

drdiver
09-01-2007, 11:42
Yup, love my Vytec, but always dive with backup computer and a conventional spg. I have this love affair with air....

CompuDude
09-01-2007, 18:01
I dove without a backup to my SmartTec for a long time, but I feel better now that I have an SPG to back it up. And Uwatec's don't have the issues that Suuntos do with pairing.

munitor
09-06-2007, 20:28
I dive with a Cobra (air integrated, hose mount) for backup and a Vytec wireless. I like the idea of the short hose and may adopt it. HP hoses have an orifice at the base fitting that limits leak rates to pretty slow, even if the hose is chopped clean off. I don't like losing the nifty computer download or having problems with a computer flaking out, so dual computers instead of brass and glass spg.

johnbaggs
11-11-2007, 00:00
I like the idea of the short hose, I may try that idea myself. Anyone have issues with their transmitter after replacing the battery? Mine was acting funny for a while and taking a long time to pair with my Vytec. My buddy's won't work at all now with his D9.

Travelnsj
11-11-2007, 00:10
I like the idea of the short hose, I may try that idea myself. Anyone have issues with their transmitter after replacing the battery? Mine was acting funny for a while and taking a long time to pair with my Vytec. My buddy's won't work at all now with his D9.

Well that is not good to hear about the D9.....mine is over 2 years old and I am waiting for that Battery to die in the transmitter and have one to replace it.....I hope I do not have that problem!

Aussie
11-11-2007, 03:54

I am on my third battery in my Suunto Transmitter. Have had no problems with it to date. I pair it with both my D9 and Vytec. Both take a few seconds to pair. I dont use a short hose for the transmitter either.

Aussie

kroorda
11-11-2007, 16:51
Definately, leave it attached to your first stage. The transmitter turns off when no pressure is applied to it; thus, it is OFF when your regulator is not attached to a tank and the air is not on.