PDA

View Full Version : Yet another frustrating online experience

wolfen42
05-06-2008, 10:45
I really like buying things from Scubatoys but my penny pinching side sometimes takes over and I start googling the names of the items I'm about to order from ST, just in case some miraculously lower price is floating around out there.

Today I succumbed and googled Oceanic GT3.

Wow! I thought divebooty.com is showing a link to another dive store showing the new DVT version of the GT3 for only $199! So I clicked on the link to the well known store and it was actually $299... hmmm... that's odd... well... back to the google list...

Next up... nextag.com hey look! There's that store again but the price is $229... maybe it's a link to a different sale on their website? Nope... it's the same $299 price again... Same thing with bizrate.com (which this other dive store links you to to rate them on checkout) And shopping.com

Ok... this is starting to get irritating... So I thought... hey! this store has a price match policy... I wonder what will happen if I pricematch their own listing on divebooty.com?

So, I submitted my pricematch request for the $199 price (which I think is a REALLY great deal)

Approximately 5 minutes later I thought I'd take a screenshot of the divebooty website and guess what! They fixed the link... how nice...

Anyone want to take bets on whether they'll match their own price or not?:smiley21:

And yes, I know that with search engines and such you can end up with the wrong prices listed out there... but I just found yet another set of listings for this item for $249 from this place! sigh...

I'm not going to mention who it is, but you can probably figure it out by going to bizrate and searching for oceanic gt3 and sorting by price...

Beaucoupfishies
05-06-2008, 12:07
Unfortunately when something seems to good to be realistic, it usually is. Whether it's bait and switch, questionable merchandise, or questionable "handling charges". They always find a way to get their money.

Better just to buy from someone you know and trust and see if they'll cut you a similar deal.

mike_s
05-06-2008, 12:17
Here's the NON DVT GT3 for $199

Oceanic GT3 Non DVT Regulator at Divers Direct - Scuba gear & equipment online dive catalog! (http://www.diversdirect.com/scripts/ecatalogisapi.dll/Item?Item=48874&Template=9990000096000999&Group=128)

It's not DVT, but for most folks that's not a big deal. I don't think it's worth th $100 extra.

spatman
05-06-2008, 12:18
that's the internet for ya: brings really amazing things right to your door, but also the really crappy things too.

wolfen42
05-06-2008, 13:26
Amazingly enough I just got a shipment notification from FedEx. Maybe they're going to turn out to be much cooler about the whole thing than I was afraid? I'll keep y'all updated when/if my package arrives.

Foo2
05-06-2008, 14:44
Did you think about calling ST to see if they would match the price?

*Edit*
Just thought I'd throw this link in: Best Price On Scuba Gear - Guaranteed! (http://www.scubatoys.com/bestprice.asp)

wolfen42
05-06-2008, 14:51
After the price got changed back to 299 I couldn't picture myself calling ST and saying... "Say... this other scube store listed a great price online and then pulled it when I asked about it... Will you pricematch them?" :)

mike_s
05-06-2008, 17:30
so did you get it for $199 or $299? (from the other store)

wolfen42
05-06-2008, 23:04
so did you get it for $199 or $299? (from the other store)

I'm still not sure... there is a Fedex package heading my way from there that should arrive thursday. No charge has showed up on my card yet so I'm not positive but I'm betting it's the $199 charge...

Heh.. gets even better... I don't know which version they are shipping me... non DVT or with DVT...

I just took a screenshot of the site that links to them (which now has a corrected price...) All over on the link it says it's the DVT version but it links to a GT3 on their site that doesn't specift DVT or not... and they have another listing on their site for the GT3 that says it is the DVT version.

If they are shipping me the non DVT version then they are basically just pricematching that other site that is selling old stock for 199 so it's not that amazing.

If they are actually sending me what matches their link off divebooty for $199 then they are showing some really amazing customer service.

Here's the snipped down screenshot with the 299 price showing... notice it says DVT all over the place? the item on their site doesnt... wonder which I'll get :)

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/4/0/2/2/divebootyscreenshotsnip.jpg

wolfen42
05-07-2008, 12:55
I've turned into such a compulsive tracking number checker... Ok... the package is in indianapolis so it should definitely arrive tomorrow.

mike_s
05-08-2008, 15:24
well I found the non DVT one for $179 in an old post. not sure if the price is still valid though.

that was a steal of a deal.

elijahb
05-08-2008, 20:47
I wonder what reg they will send you. I would be funny if they don't charge you for the reg... I wonder why there hasn't been a charge on your card yet

mike_s
05-08-2008, 22:17
yeah.... it does sound a little fishy... you should have least gotten a charge on your credit card and also an email with the item listed, shipping charges, etc...

aaronle06
05-09-2008, 01:08
I've turned into such a compulsive tracking number checker... Ok... the package is in indianapolis so it should definitely arrive tomorrow.

im such a compulsive package tracker that on my mac i have a widget that tracks packages for any of the 3 major shipping companies (FedEx, UPS, DHL)

wolfen42
05-09-2008, 07:03
yeah.... it does sound a little fishy... you should have least gotten a charge on your credit card and also an email with the item listed, shipping charges, etc...

The charge did finally show up, but it was for about $100 more than it should have been so I gave them a call. It turns out whoever fulfilled the order accidently pricematched only one of the regulators so they are fixing that.

In other news, the regulators arrived yesterday and they are the non-DVT version. So, it was a good deal but not an amazing deal.

Overall I'd have to say my feelings are mixed about this purchase experience. Yes, they did match their own price on that other site, but they did it by shipping me an older model that didn't match the description on the site they pricematched.

The company is Diver's Supply and it's interesting to contrast their actions with those of Scuba Toys (Since I've ordered from both of them recently)

Scubatoys: If they ship an incorrect item and you let them know that it will negatively impact an upcoming trip they will make sure you have what you need in time without charging you extra. (They accidently sent us the wrong size gloves once and sent the replacements next day air at no additional charge)

Divers Supply:The juries still out on what they do when they ship you something that doesn't match your order. I think I'll call them today and see what they offer to do. (if anything) I know that we're still waiting on an SPG that got backordered from them back on April 23rd.

We still haven't purchased our BC setups yet. Guess who I'm planning on ordering them from? LeisurePro of course! (just kidding) :)

mike_s
05-09-2008, 08:35
I'm betting it was some employee who didn't care which one he shipped you.... he saw you were getting the $199 one and went and pulled the one that they had priced for $199 and never paid attention...

still doesn't make it right.

but at the same time... you ordered something that they had advertised wrong and had to be manually changed, and expected a screw up to start with.....

Dive Booty isn't known as being the best in marketing. they basically are a site that tries to get website hits by search engine results. I guess if you can make money for it then it's good, but I have seen MANY mistakes in their prices. But this is a fluid market to keep up with price changes and sales... And their price info is only as good as the info fed to them by their vendors they represent. So basically it's still "buyer beware".

BTW.... I figured this was Divers Supply from the search I did on Dive Booty.

one more BTW... I don't think the DVT is worth the extra $100 bucks. Take care of your regulator and treat it good and you won't have to worry about it.

wolfen42
05-09-2008, 09:37
BTW.... I figured this was Divers Supply from the search I did on Dive Booty.

one more BTW... I don't think the DVT is worth the extra $100 bucks. Take care of your regulator and treat it good and you won't have to worry about it.

Yeah, that's the conclusion I came too also. The extra $200 goes a good ways towards getting some nice miflex hoses from Scubatoys too. :)

KGNickl
05-09-2008, 10:24
well I found the non DVT one for $179 in an old post. not sure if the price is still valid though.

that was a steal of a deal.
I have a non-DVT GT3 that has 5 dives and is 3-4 months old that I've been thinking about selling. If anyone wants it I would let it go for $180+$7 shipping. I want to get a Aeris AT400 which is nearly the same. Will make service much easier because I will have an Aeris reg, BC, octo, and computer.

I could also have the GT3 setup with DVT if someone wants to spend +$30. My plan is to buy a DVT AT400 and to purchase the DIN conversion kit. I could have my LDS install the DIN conversion on my AT400 (removing the DVT yoke) and install it in my GT3 (removing the non-DVT yoke and replacing it with dvt yoke from the AT400). I would check with oceanic/aeris first regarding this and then have the work done by an authorized tech at an LDS.

mike_s
05-09-2008, 11:07
Yeah, that's the conclusion I came too also. The extra $200 goes a good ways towards getting some nice miflex hoses from Scubatoys too. :)

I looked at the miflex hose this past weekend and they were pretty flexible. It looked good from what I could tell, even pressurized.

If you could have gotten them for $179, you could have almost paid for the Miflex hose upgrade on them.

Beaucoupfishies
05-09-2008, 11:15
When I shop for computer parts I can search the net and find a bunch of good deals, but I still prefer going to Newegg because I know I'm getting top notch service even though I'm paying a few dollars more.

Scubatoys is my diving Newegg, AND they price match. I just don't see it being worth it to risk it anywhere else. Of course, I'm really bad at garage sale haggling so maybe I'm just not adventurous enough with my price hunting. :smiley36:

KGNickl
05-09-2008, 11:27
I have a 30" black miflex on my second stage primary and a 36" black miflex on my second stage octo. I like them very much.

I looked at the miflex hose this past weekend and they were pretty flexible. It looked good from what I could tell, even pressurized.

If you could have gotten them for $179, you could have almost paid for the Miflex hose upgrade on them.

wolfen42
05-09-2008, 11:42
When I shop for computer parts I can search the net and find a bunch of good deals, but I still prefer going to Newegg because I know I'm getting top notch service even though I'm paying a few dollars more.

Scubatoys is my diving Newegg, AND they price match. I just don't see it being worth it to risk it anywhere else. Of course, I'm really bad at garage sale haggling so maybe I'm just not adventurous enough with my price hunting. :smiley36:

Yeah, with Newegg I can order something and know that it will actually show up when I expect it because their stock system is so well synced with their website. (barring weird shipper issues) They aren't quite as awesome at customer service as ST is, but they are still worlds better than most of the online computer stores. (In fact, they forced a lot of crappy fly by night places out of business since neweggs prices were as good AND they tracked stock AND they didn't call you up and try to extort additional purchases out of you. I'm still paranoid about mail order companies operating out of new york city...)