PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa/Broken Arrow Divers! New water found?

DOWNDEEP73
05-06-2008, 16:19
There is a body of water east of Broken Arrow. It is on 61st Street between 209th East Ave and the Creek Turnpike. There is no fence around it,and there is trails all around it, and I have seen people fishing there. The water looks like it could be clear enough to scuba in....but I'm not sure. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it?

Below is a link for a bird's eye view of the area. You can drag the picture around and rotate it for differant views.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTSN&cp=q0ch0v70ncmt&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=16860849&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1 (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTSN&cp=q0ch0v70ncmt&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=16860849&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1)

navyhmc
05-06-2008, 16:49
From the view you posted (good job by the way, I can never get those to post right...) it looks like a somewhat shallow strip pit. Was there any mining in that area? The problem I have noted with some of these sites is that the water is either acidic or very alkalinic so while you can dive it, it's not very forgiving on your gear or your skin.

mm2002 had a thread with that as a side bar: http://forum.scubatoys.com/midwest/12260-mystery-lake-diving.html

Chad
05-06-2008, 17:09
Easiest way to find out is to get a pool test set and check the PH. Good luck! Hope it turns out to be a diveable spot.

Soonerwink
05-06-2008, 20:32
I have seen it also and wondered the same thing. Let me know when you want to go dive it. It looks a lot clearer than the lakes look now. I have been looking for some place to dive.

DOWNDEEP73
05-06-2008, 21:43
I have seen it also and wondered the same thing. Let me know when you want to go dive it. It looks a lot clearer than the lakes look now. I have been looking for some place to dive.
I would like to check the PH levels first (Spent way too much money on gear to have it ruined) and maybe walk around and check it out a bit before diving it.

texdiveguy
05-06-2008, 22:37
My 'guess' is that the water is going to be very shallow with a nice mud bottom.

mpd525
05-07-2008, 01:59
it looks like a strip pit for when they did the creek turnpike construction. I would say it's probably not more than about 10ft. deep, but then again, i could be completely wrong/.

navyhmc
05-07-2008, 02:16
I was going to guess a borrow pit, but the shape didn't look right. Looks more like some of the strip mines up around SE KS/SW MO. Strip pit would be 30'-40' deep, most borrow pits are around 10' as mpd525 said

DOWNDEEP73
05-07-2008, 15:15
I was going to guess a borrow pit, but the shape didn't look right. Looks more like some of the strip mines up around SE KS/SW MO. Strip pit would be 30'-40' deep, most borrow pits are around 10' as mpd525 said
At this point with the way gas prices have been going up, and the lakes being so murky.....I'll take 10' depths!
I have been there and it looks like it could be deeper than that. I went to a spot next to the road and I'm guessing at least 20', the way it was sloping down. And the water looks like it could possibly be clearer than Beaver Lake. (I didn't have very much time to spend there...had a softball game to attend)
I'm not sure until I dive it!

cyclical
05-08-2008, 11:15
interesting.. let us know how it goes

wolfen42
05-08-2008, 11:26
It would be a good idea to check the PH but the likelihood of it being acidic or alkaline enough to damage gear is unlikely... However, if you got it in your eyes it could be an unpleasant experience...

mpd525
05-08-2008, 19:16
something you might try is a small aluminum boat, and a cheap depth finder, that will give you an idea of what kind of depths your looking at, and if it's a good enough depth finder, you might be able to get an idea of terrain feathures that would be worth diving.

Soonerwink
05-17-2008, 20:45
A cheap and easy way would be to take a rod and reel and set a bobber at different depths to check the depth, and shoot if you attach some sort of bait you might even catch dinner.

DOWNDEEP73
05-17-2008, 20:51
A cheap and easy way would be to take a rod and reel and set a bobber at different depths to check the depth, and shoot if you attach some sort of bait you might even catch dinner.
I went fishing there with the kids last weekend. The kids caught some perch and I caught some small bass!
Sometime soon,....after my son is born.....I'm diving that SOB!
Anyone that wants to come is more than welcome!

Soonerwink
05-17-2008, 21:07
I went fishing there with the kids last weekend. The kids caught some perch and I caught some small bass!
How deep do you think it is? I went to Beaver today, and it cost me about 95.00 in gas for the round trip and two trips to C&J for food and air fills. I need something closer.

DOWNDEEP73
05-17-2008, 21:12
How deep do you think it is? I went to Beaver today, and it cost me about 95.00 in gas for the round trip and two trips to C&J for food and air fills. I need something closer.
I can't even guess yet.....The spot next to the road slopes off to at least 10'......I haven't been any further back than that.

DOWNDEEP73
05-25-2008, 15:09
My truck gets like 11 mpg. So I almost have to take out a loan to go to beaver. I wonder how Tenkiller is?

Soonerwink
05-25-2008, 15:47
My truck gets like 11 mpg. So I almost have to take out a loan to go to beaver. I wonder how Tenkiller is?
I haven't heard anything on Tenkiller in a couple of weeks. I may have to give Gene a call.

DOWNDEEP73
05-25-2008, 16:01
I haven't heard anything on Tenkiller in a couple of weeks. I may have to give Gene a call.
I'm not going to be able to make it tuesday night. My daughter has a make-up softball game @ 6:30 in BA.
Next month for sure!

okiediver72
05-02-2009, 20:36
Hate to resurrect an older thread, but I'm curious how this spot turned out. I live in Ponca City, and if gas gets high this summer I'll have to find a way to strap my gear to my motorcycle if I want to do anything.

DOWNDEEP73
05-03-2009, 10:25
It got filled in to pave the way for a new housing addition about 4 months ago.

navyhmc
05-03-2009, 11:59
That totally sucks! Personally, I would hate to have a house that was built on what was once the lake...Talk about a settle risk!

rsmith4656
05-03-2009, 16:27
The body of water originally mentioned in this thread is being filled in and turned into a subdivision. Another piece of property that was mentioned to me via telephone is owned by a private company that does not wish to be contacted on this property.

ak1
10-29-2012, 22:59
Same Strips 3 Miles high I went there alot during the summer water is about 30-40 feet deep, and was perfect spot but we werent tho only ones to occupy it, and i guess it burnt down around the 4th of july I havent gone since but the water is great. It is pretty muddy because it took me alot to get the dirt off in the shower. lol

Soonerwink
10-30-2012, 19:35
Same Strips 3 Miles high I went there alot during the summer water is about 30-40 feet deep, and was perfect spot but we werent tho only ones to occupy it, and i guess it burnt down around the 4th of july I havent gone since but the water is great. It is pretty muddy because it took me alot to get the dirt off in the shower. lol
Where are the strips you are talking about? I have been trying to locate some locally that we are able to dive.

BUDMAN
10-30-2012, 20:17
the area to the east and a little north of Catoosa has a lot of old strip mines. these old strip pits are all over the east side of Broken Arrow.
not sure if these are what are being referred to but I've been wondering about these for a while now if they were diveable

BUDMAN
10-30-2012, 20:40
Funding sets pace of coal mine reclamation | Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090510_11_A1_Bernie199554)

this is a link to an article on these strip pits