PDA

View Full Version : PCB Jetties

moosicman
05-06-2008, 17:10
I know this has probably been covered in some of the other threads but I'm up against the clock to plan this and simply don't have time to search it out, so I'm sorry about that, but:

Can you shore dive from the Jetties? I am looking for an inexpensive way to dive in PCB. My Marine Bio. friend (who will be moving to Texas for research soon) is willing to go and help me get more and better experience diving and I said I would foot his bills for the trip (hence the need for the cheapest, yet still good diving availible). So I'm not looking to pay for a dive charter for the two of us unless I have to. Get where I'm going with this? Can you give some advice and pointers for dives at PCB and the Jetties??

Thanks so much in advance!:smiley32::smiley20:

FishFood
05-06-2008, 17:27
Yes, you can. $5 entry fee.

Here's something I wrote up a while back:

St Andrews - Diver's Guide (http://divingnutz.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43&Itemid=47)

Also, be sure to check the tide charts as strong currents will make for a crappy, and possibly dangerous dive. Shoot for an hour or so before high tide. This Saturday would make for a GREAT dive as the tides are just right.

Tide Charts for St Andrews Pass (http://webpages.charter.net/divermike/index.htm)

moosicman
05-06-2008, 17:47
Thank you Fish Food....invaluable info! Any others?

divinginn
05-06-2008, 20:36
you can take the shuttle there across to shell island and get some dives in there also,it has a jetty on it also,they are both great cheap dives,I usually see more fish and stuff than I do on the dive charters.

mike_s
05-06-2008, 20:54

St Andrews - Diver's Guide (http://divingnutz.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43&Itemid=47)

Also, be sure to check the tide charts as strong currents will make for a crappy, and possibly dangerous dive. Shoot for an hour or so before high tide. This Saturday would make for a GREAT dive as the tides are just right.

Tide Charts for St Andrews Pass (http://webpages.charter.net/divermike/index.htm)

wow... that's a good guide you wrote. Lots of good info. I'll use that to give to other people who have questions.

About the only thing I can add to the original poster is the park doesn't open its gates until about 8am. if the tide is near that time, expect a line at the gate. (there might be a line there anyway on a saturday with good tide times).

If you're a state park pass member I think you get a code that will let you in earlier. Or if you're camping there, same thing.

one more thing... I'll be down next week if you want to dive. I don't think the tide times are that great until the end of the week though.

You can always hit Destin Jetties also. It's about an hour west of PCB and the tides table will be about an hour later....

moosicman
05-06-2008, 21:01
What about sharks in the Jetties?? My dive buddy has expressed concern. Me on the other hand, would welcome all but the bulls.

FishFood
05-06-2008, 21:07
Ive been told the hammer heads follow the sting rays in during mid-late summer. However, I havent seen any. Or any other sharks for that matter. :smiley19:

Thanks Mike. "Pimp" my site out all you want :smiley31: :smiley9:

divinginn
05-06-2008, 21:30
I have never seen any sharks,but did hear of a bull shark out there last year.

ReefHound
05-06-2008, 21:32
Ive been told the hammer heads follow the sting rays in during mid-late summer. However, I havent seen any. Or any other sharks for that matter. :smiley19:

I'll bet some have seen you. :smiley36:

Dive-aholic
05-07-2008, 10:44
FishFood has some great information on his site. A warning, though - the tide charts aren't always right. I've been at the jetties and gotten in the water 30-45 minutes before high tide and conditions were exactly the same as they were earlier in the day. 30 minutes after high tide there was still no change. Apparently, the tides don't check the tide charts. The jetties are an easy dive, but if you don't have much experience diving, I suggest going with someone who has experience diving there. It sounds like your buddy may not know the area so if his experience level isn't that much more than yours, you may want to put that dive off for a while. I don't go there much, but next time I do, you're welcome to join us. I was planning on heading down this Sunday, but it looks like conditions are going to be crappy due to weather so that's not going to happen.

mike_s
05-07-2008, 11:23
What about sharks in the Jetties?? My dive buddy has expressed concern. Me on the other hand, would welcome all but the bulls.

hate to tell you this, but sharks are in the ocean all the time.

whens the last time you heard of them bothering a diver?

if you're spearfishing and have an injured fish, they might come visit you, otherwise they could care less if you are there.

moosicman
05-07-2008, 12:15

hate to tell you this, but sharks are in the ocean all the time.

whens the last time you heard of them bothering a diver?

if you're spearfishing and have an injured fish, they might come visit you, otherwise they could care less if you are there.

:D Surely, Mike, you know that some sharks can "live" in the same area on a consistent basis or be frequent visitors to that area. For instance, the bull sharks on the u.s.s liberty. That is really what I am asking about. I know that sharks are in the ocean all the time, LOL. I am also not to concerned about them bothering me as a diver. But I know what you mean. That being said there are several species that I would prefer not to dive with if I can help it: Shortfin Makos, Bulls, and Great Whites. My dive buddy for this trip is Dr. Craig Burnside, a seasoned diver, Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary Conch Research (http://flowergarden.noaa.gov/science/conch_burnside.html). Yet, even with all his experience he still doesn't prefer to dive with sharks, but it is not a limiting fear, just a concern which leads to awareness and the reason we are curious about the locations possible species. He has been on the jetties before, but infrequently!:) We will be watching the tides if this is a dive that we decide to do. Thanks for the heads up, Rob!

mike_s
05-07-2008, 12:41
what I mean is you're likely to run into them anywhere...

but here or on scubaboard have I seen any reports of "saw a shark at the jetties".

regardless, they don't bother the divers. maybe if you've got fish on a stringer.

There was one that was in the destin jetties a year or two ago,but it had been 'filleted' by a fishing boat and it's carcass tosed overboard in the pass.

FishFood
05-07-2008, 18:09
Ill be at PCB for the 1:30 high tide, anyone else?

EDIT:

Also, to add to other's warnings. When the tides are moving, the water around the gulf side point can do weird things. Ive been carried off by strong currents goign side ways before I knew it. Also, it's easy to miss the point and keep going straight out into the gulf. Been there to :(

Flfiremedic
05-27-2008, 08:55
I'm at the Jettys alot, and its a great dive...haven't seen any sharks there this year so far.

moosicman
05-27-2008, 19:07
I'm at the Jettys alot, and its a great dive...haven't seen any sharks there this year so far.

When you do see them (I assume you have in the past), what species is it?

coyote
06-02-2008, 16:05

Wow. Excellent write-up. Nice job!