PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit Fit?

DiverMom
05-06-2008, 21:28
I just got an ST order! Yippee!!! I ordered the Henderson core warmer suit, it's a hyperstretch. I don't know how they are supposed to fit. LOL! Is it supposed to be tight? It is a close fit, not really tight... does it stretch in water or stretch out with wear? I am wondering if it would be better to exchange it for a size smaller?

I also got my son the Bare shorty that was only $34. What a deal! He looks so cute...er... handsome in it. I am really pleased with our order!

We got scissors since knives are not allowed at Sea Base. And I got a beanie... I am so worried about how cold the quarry will be for OW. The DI said we could pour warm water in the wetsuit so it is warm when I go in. Just rambling...

elijahb
05-06-2008, 21:45
Hope you enjoy your purchases

Doug B
05-06-2008, 22:36
I just got an ST order! Yippee!!! I ordered the Henderson core warmer suit, it's a hyperstretch. I don't know how they are supposed to fit. LOL! Is it supposed to be tight? It is a close fit, not really tight... does it stretch in water or stretch out with wear? I am wondering if it would be better to exchange it for a size smaller?

I also got my son the Bare shorty that was only $34. What a deal! He looks so cute...er... handsome in it. I am really pleased with our order!

We got scissors since knives are not allowed at Sea Base. And I got a beanie... I am so worried about how cold the quarry will be for OW. The DI said we could pour warm water in the wetsuit so it is warm when I go in. Just rambling...

The wetsuit should fit you like a proverbial glove. No too tight that it's uncomfortable to wear, but not loose either. Too loose, and it won't keep you warm like it's supposed too. It should be tight enough to "show off your curves" mom.

I don't have a henderson hyperstretch, but most wetsuits seem to loosen up a little once you get in the water. I feel like the Goodyear tire man wearing a 7mil farmer john on land, but once I'm in the water, I hardly notice it.

There are varied opinions about pouring warm water in your suit before a dive. I personally don't do it BEFORE the first dive of the day, but I will do it during a surface interval, at times.

gthomas
05-07-2008, 11:07
I also just purchases a hyper strech. It fit great in the dressing room. We'll see if it still fits good in the water?

RetroVertigo
05-07-2008, 13:07
I also just purchases a hyper strech. It fit great in the dressing room. We'll see if it still fits good in the water?
Same here:smiley9:

I'm going to find out this weekend!

ChrisA
05-07-2008, 13:23
I just got an ST order! Yippee!!! I ordered the Henderson core warmer suit, it's a hyperstretch. I don't know how they are supposed to fit. LOL! Is it supposed to be tight? It is a close fit, not really tight... does it stretch in water or stretch out with wear?

Ideally a wetsuit shoud fit tight so there is no airspace between you and the suit. None at all. It should be not tighter then than is required. There should only be a thin film of water between you and the wetsuit.

In the "real world" the suit is not cut for your exact body shape and has to depend on "stretch" for some of the fit so it maybe have to fit slightly tigher then ideal so as to eliminiate any air space in the suit and to account for compression at depth (see below). Only a custom made suit would fit you perfectly without being overly tight.

It should take some effort and three or four minutes to put on a 7mm suit but not a great amount pulling and tugging

Over time (about 100 dives) the walls between the small air cells in the neoprene will break down and the suit will become thinner and not fit so tight. Even a new suit at depth will be compressed. But remember the water will compress the material from BOTH sides making the suit thinner and slighter larger overall.

What you want is the largest size suit that will still alow only a thin film of water next to your skin even at 60 feet of depth.

ChrisA
05-07-2008, 13:34
[quote=DiverMom;169042]
There are varied opinions about pouring warm water in your suit before a dive. I personally don't do it BEFORE the first dive of the day, but I will do it during a surface interval, at times.

Adding warm water has two effects that are in conflict. Which effect "wins" differs pre and post dive.

The reason is that once the suit gets wet it acts like an evaporative cooler. It's like wearingt a wet t-shirt, makes you colder. Addig the warm water pre-dive warms you for only a few minutes then after that the water cools the suit.

But after you get out after your dive the wetsuit is already wet and can't get any wetter so the warm water can do not harm

Many time on a hot day after putting on a wetsuit but before getting in to the water I'll be roasting in the sun. I carry water with me just so I can get the suit wet and cooled off. I'll run the water into the exterior of the wetsuit. It makes a big difference. Even if my water jug is warm, it still cools the suit off dramatically.

Diver Kat
05-07-2008, 23:31

Congrats on purchasing the Hyperstretch! I have the full 3 mil, and the shorty 3 mil. (The only wet suits I tried that I didn't feel like I was being choked in!) I'd say the wet suit should be snug, but not uncomfortable. If it seems a bit loose anywhere at all, you may want to go smaller. Maybe the folks at ST can help with some advice, or if you have another diver around that can check the wet suit for size while you have it on ...

Zenagirl
05-08-2008, 03:39
Keep in mind that due to the stretchiness of the Hyperstretch suits, they don't fit like regular neoprene suits do. Kat is 100% correct that the suit should fit snugly but not be uncomfortable.

wolfen42
05-08-2008, 08:24
Also, as you go deeper in the water the neoprene will thin out and the fit will become a bit looser. :)

Diver Kat
05-08-2008, 17:28
Also, as you go deeper in the water the neoprene will thin out and the fit will become a bit looser. :)Haven't had this problem at all with the Hyperstretch, so I think I have a really good fit.

ChrisA
05-08-2008, 18:49
Also, as you go deeper in the water the neoprene will thin out and the fit will become a bit looser. :)Haven't had this problem at all with the Hyperstretch, so I think I have a really good fit.

He said "looser" not "loose". There is no way out of it. It's a law of physics. Any neoprene suit will become looser at depth. Maybe not enough looser to notice but it has to get thinner as the pressure increases. The effect is more noticable with thicker suits with a 3mm you'd notice less then if it were a 7mm suit.

Diver Kat
05-09-2008, 23:29

He said "looser" not "loose". There is no way out of it. It's a law of physics. Any neoprene suit will become looser at depth. Maybe not enough looser to notice but it has to get thinner as the pressure increases. The effect is more noticable with thicker suits with a 3mm you'd notice less then if it were a 7mm suit.
Well I'm not talking science here, I'm talking fit. Yeah, we all learned in OW class, it does become thinner at depth with the compression of the air bubbles within the wet suit. But, if you have a good fit to begin with, you won't feel as if it's getting loose as you go deeper, and you won't have water seep in if the fit is good. With a Hyperstrech, if you get to depth, and it no longer feels snug, I'd say you need a smaller size.