PDA

View Full Version : Diver Education

Zatharas
05-07-2008, 00:59
Hello all,

I am part of a university dive club who is looking for grants and other ways to fund diver education. This funding is for college students who are looking to become certified divers and for others who are already certified and looking to further their education.

If you know of or have heard of any ways to fund diver education please let me know.

Thank you

elijahb
05-14-2008, 19:44
talk to your LDS maybe they can help you out. Some instructors will teach for free if you help them in there open water classes its a win win

Zyxistal
05-14-2008, 21:28
Summer jobs?

scubasamurai
05-14-2008, 22:10
i work for trade with my lds teaching cpr and first aid in return for education and other things
give it a try maybe work the desk and get some training in return never hurts to ask!!!

Zatharas
05-16-2008, 23:46
Zyxistal, we are not bums we are just cheap. College is expensive and many of our members already have full time jobs.

elijahb & scubasamurai, thank you for reminding me to speak to our LDS about other funding option.

One of the main reasons why our club is looking for possible grants and what not is because we would like to recruit more members and many individuals are put of by how much it cost to learn how to dive. Yes, I realize that this is an expensive sport and lowering the cost is difficult but all in all it is worth a shot right?

huvrr
05-17-2008, 05:19
Hiatus from beer for 2 weeks ought to about cover it. Wait, this is college....disregard.

Murloc
05-17-2008, 05:35
does anybody else find it funny that Zatharas and Zyxistal are posting to each other?

Geoff_T
05-17-2008, 07:40
Have you tried to obtain an activity grant from the collage. The one school I went to gave us funding for just that training new members, though depending on your university you might have to be really politically correct in how you word your application for this. As many schools leave these matters to the student government which is its own political organization with its own politics.

Second if you are a new dive club see if the collage used to have a dive club. When I went to ccsu they had recently reformed the club and when we found out there was a previous club apparently there was also a bunch of inherited equipment. That said most of it was dry rotted but some of it was still serviceable. The reason I say this is that the other thing you should do is in addition to any other money you bring in you should consider holding fundraisers as well. These can serve to raise your profile within the campus community and recruit future members. If you can get space from the university to store equipment you should if you have enough members to have a sustainable club consider purchasing some equipment. This is how the Penn State diver club operates. Ie you don't pay or pay very little (don't remember) for your OW cert then for the rest of the time you are there you can use their gear for extremely nominal rates. Think something like 1/3-1/2 normal rates.

Other than this I don't know what to say college dive clubs can be a great thing but they can be tough as well. Unless you have a core of dedicated divers who are willing to put in a lot of extra work than things will sort of fall apart. Also look into your campus rules about club membership, I believe Penn State had a rule that allowed non students to become associate members this way grads who lived nearby could continue to participate in club events with their friends. This isn’t always allowed but it could help you grow a community for your diving friends.