PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed With Safety Items

james.earnhardt
08-04-2007, 22:45
My wife is currently completing her open water and I want to outfit our BC with some basic safety items. Right now all we carry is the standard whistle. Please help provide some ideas as to what to carry because we have all had that "man I wish I would have thought to have brought that before" moment.

So far I have thought of these items:

Whistle
Safety Signal Mirror?
Safety Bouy?

DirtyWaterIL
08-04-2007, 22:48
those are all good things to have. One thing you need to also do is make sure you know where the items are, and how to use them. I know it may sound stupid, but if you really need help and are in a serious situatuion it is easy to forget things and not be able to figure out something as simple as blowing up a smb. Also make sure they are in a place where you can easily access them in an emergency.

texdiveguy
08-04-2007, 22:59
Basic folding knife

94GTStang
08-04-2007, 23:21
I say get a dive knife or EMT shears. I use this http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TitaniumRemora knife and I like it a lot. It attaches easily to my BC and is small enough to be out of the way. Luckily it has seen more topside action than underwater.

Could also get a safety sausage that inflates via either your octo or reg.

MEL-DC Diver
08-04-2007, 23:21
Surface Marker Buoy. While the other items on the list have value, the SMB will likely be the most often used. After that, I would get a knife or shears.

techgnostic
08-04-2007, 23:30
Basic folding knife

I folding knife is an ok backup...but it is hard to deploy with gloves. Look at getting a fixed knife, and my personal fav: EMT shears (they cut line better than suratted edges). There are threads dealing the knives worth looking at first.

A steel cap on the knife or a tank banger, or a u/w noise making device is a very useful thing to have as well.

Don't forget a slate: makes communication between buddies a lot easier.

thor
08-04-2007, 23:50
Although not basic equipment: Forget the whistle. Buy her a dive alert. You can hear that thing a mile away. Also a compass and knife are not a bad idea.

Splitlip
08-05-2007, 00:02
the type of diving you do may drive some of the gear.

I do mostly ocean drift diving.
I have a dive alert mounted on my LP hose.
I always carry at least 1 DSMB and a spool which I can also inflate orally at the surface.
If seas are narly I will carry 2 dsmb's.
I don't bother with a mirror. Besides, masks reflect the sun pretty well.
I always carry a flashlight.
Night dives, I don't bother with a 2nd DSMB, but will carry an extra mask as wll as 2 backup lights.
Always 2 cutting tools. Usually 3.

Don't get the image of a christmas tree.
It all tucks neatly away with the exception of the 2nd DSMB spool if I carry it. That goes on a d-ring on my right hip. I don't care for a butt d-ring.

Can you get away with less. I would hope.
But in my history, I have used a knife to cut my 1st stage free from a monofiliment birds nest, I have drifted in rough seas away from my boat without the tender knowing and had to be picked up by strangers, I have been run over at the surface by a boat, have lost a mask and I once rescued four divers adrift. (I saw the reflection off their masks)

Edit:
In my Avatar, I am carrying every item listed above with the exception of the spare mask and 3rd light. I was getting ready for weight check.

Judestudio
08-05-2007, 02:10
Although not basic equipment: Forget the whistle. Buy her a dive alert. You can hear that thing a mile away. Also a compass and knife are not a bad idea.
Second to the Dive Alert. I heard it's a must-have on some liveaboard / dive boats.

james.earnhardt
08-05-2007, 06:45
Thanks for all of the help and ideas so far. My wife and I are diving in Crete, Greece so all of our dives will be Ocean dives. I started pricing out the bouy marker, dive alert device, save a dive kit and some first aid stuff. Honestly though with the price of everything and the cost of getting all of my wife's gear together I can't afford to buy a good quality light and knife yet. I know there are some basics but can anyone recommend a good starter set until I can save for the real deal. I was looking at pricing the BCD knife at $14.95 but it doesn't look like it has a tank banger on it. Next step up is the Hydralloy at $32.95 looks pretty good. For the light I was looking at the Uk-Q40 because it is on sale. Any input please help and if there are some used equipment or old rental equipment we would consider that also. Once again thanks for the help.

Paul Earnhardt

Judestudio
08-05-2007, 07:33
....I can't afford to buy a good quality light and knife yet. I know there are some basics but can anyone recommend a good starter set until I can save for the real deal. I was looking at pricing the BCD knife at $14.95 but it doesn't look like it has a tank banger on it. Next step up is the Hydralloy at $32.95 looks pretty good.
I have the hydralloy, it's a great knife. But the one I carry most is this one here:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/image_store/60012/60012_IMAGE_MEDIUM.jpg

Here (http://www.atlanticunderwater.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=66) shows how you can make your own. It's cheap, yet practical.

Remember, expensive is not necessarily the best.

Splitlip
08-05-2007, 08:00
I know there are some basics but can anyone recommend a good starter set until I can save for the real deal. I was looking at pricing the BCD knife at $14.95 but it doesn't look like it has a tank banger on it.
Paul Earnhardt

Here you go. I have a couple of these.

http://www.scuba.com/shop/productspecials.asp_hashvalue_024100/070177
One of the nice things about these, there is another belt slide on the back of the scabbard which can be unscrewed to you can attach to webbing or harness without having to thread it,

james.earnhardt
08-05-2007, 11:03
I like the knife a lot and I would like to look at getting one or two on Friday. What would shipping be on these? Was it SCUBA.com that added an extra 10.00 to ship to an FPO/AE adress? Thanks

medic001918
08-05-2007, 11:25
I have to agree with other's about a kinfe and a SMB (or safety sausage). We each carry a safety sausage here when we dive. I think we got ours for around $25-30 USD each. A light is always a good idea. And you already have the whistle.

Shane

awap
08-05-2007, 11:49
For dives with the "lost at sea" potential, I carry a snorkel attached to my BP. I'd look at attaching it to a BC next to the tank.

Splitlip
08-05-2007, 13:37
I like the knife a lot and I would like to look at getting one or two on Friday. What would shipping be on these? Was it SCUBA.com that added an extra 10.00 to ship to an FPO/AE adress? Thanks

Hell, I hope not.
I just ordered 2 more this morning after I posted the link. Shipping to Jupiter Florida for me is $5.95. Total for the 2 knives came to $21.95.

the gooch
08-05-2007, 20:57
The dive alerts are nice but what happens if you are OOA.

thor
08-05-2007, 21:18
I think Akona makes a combo light, knife, retractor kit, but quite frankly I don't know anything about the quality nor do I know anyone who uses any of these items. IMO you are better off buying a good knife, than a cheap crap one, just to have a knife. No sense buying something that might not be of any use when you really need it. I'd save up for a titanium knife. Virtually maintenance free. Are you going night diving? I'd spend the money on either a good knife or a good light, rather than trying to stretch your dollar to afford both items. Printeton Tech makes some highly rated, best buy lights.

Judestudio
08-05-2007, 23:44
Hopefully your buddy have one!

the gooch
08-06-2007, 00:07
Air or another dive alert

Judestudio
08-06-2007, 00:52
Air or another dive alert
Hopefully you have a buddy to start with....

Dive alert works on the surface, I wouldn't worry too much if I'm OOA on the surface :smiley2: So hopefully your buddy would have a dive alert, AND some air would be nice too.

TxHockeyGuy
08-06-2007, 16:39

You just have to blow really really hard into the connector, I'm kidding of course. I also carry a whistle just in case but no whistle powered by a human will ever be as loud as a dive alert, they are scary loud.

thesmoothdome
08-06-2007, 16:49
Second to the Dive Alert. I heard it's a must-have on some liveaboard / dive boats.

Another vote for a dive alert. I had to buy one for the Sun Dancer II and thought it was absolutely ridiculous. I've always used a whistle and thought it good. One blast of the dive alert and the whistle goes in the trash. The thing is painfully loud, but that's sorta the idea.

CC1020
08-07-2007, 12:20
Knife, EMT shears, SMB with dump valve (check ST), signal mirror

james.earnhardt
08-07-2007, 13:51
It looks like everybody is leaning towards the dive alert the most. I also saw where members can get a 10% discount or $10.00 off after ten post so that should help with the cost. These guys at Scuba toys come up with some great ideas everday. Thanks

MEL-DC Diver
08-07-2007, 15:23
Are people seriously recommending a dive alert over an SMB? I can hear you I just can't see you... I can see the value in a dive alert, I just wouldn't put it at the top of the list.

mike_s
08-07-2007, 15:27
I like the idea of EMT shears and have a pair, but unless you've got a big BC, they are a pain to mount.

Here's what I'd reccomend:

1.) Safety Sausage. Blow up or Octo inflate.
2.) Dive Alert.
3.) line cutter (Dive Rite Z-knife or simliar)
4.) any other shear or cutter
5.) whistle, cheap and easy to clip on, but Dive Alert should take care of need.

One trip on a liveaboard where you come up a long way from the boat and you'll be glad you had that Safety Sausage. Personally I think you need one at least 8" wide and 6' long. I carry a finger spool with mine so it can be deployed from depth. (they also make a nice lift bag if you find an anchor).

In my opinion, you shouldn't even go on a dive without a Dive Alert.

The Z-Knife line cutter is small and takes up no room. Very good for cutting fishing line without having to get a knife out.

I'm not big on the signal mirror as a mask will reflect also. That and you already have the sausage for closer range visual notification.

thesmoothdome
08-07-2007, 15:38
Are people seriously recommending a dive alert over an SMB? I can hear you I just can't see you... I can see the value in a dive alert, I just wouldn't put it at the top of the list.

I think an SMB is just as important. I think the situation dictates which one will be more effective though. If I'm shore diving and no one is looking for me, a blast of the dive alert is going to alert more people that there is a problem somewhere around them. If I have someone on a boat specifically looking for me, I'd rather have the SMB so I can be easily seen. Obviously, the best solution is to have both.

MEL-DC Diver
08-07-2007, 15:54
I think an SMB is just as important. I think the situation dictates which one will be more effective though. If I'm shore diving and no one is looking for me, a blast of the dive alert is going to alert more people that there is a problem somewhere around them. If I have someone on a boat specifically looking for me, I'd rather have the SMB so I can be easily seen. Obviously, the best solution is to have both.

I can see your point, but to build on it a little bit... I can't see a situation where a dive alert by itself is more useful than an SMB by itself. I can see how they can compliment one another, however.

I get the sense we are drifting into semantics. James, get the SMB, a dive alert, and a knife/shears and you'll be good to go. Everything else you can tailor to your diving needs as you go along.

thor
08-07-2007, 16:16

Let me clarify. It was dive alert rather than/ in addition to whistle, not instead of SMB. The more the merrier I always say.

It's kind of like that game where they tell you that you have been in a plane crash and have the following items (parachute, mirror, salt tablets, etc,) and you have to rank the items in terms of how important they are. The reality is that you hope you have most of these items if you ever are in a jam. Whistle, SMB, Compass, Dive Alert, Knife, ... Flare gun, , Life Raft, Shark repellant, Avalanche Beacon, Snake Bite Kit.....

MEL-DC Diver
08-07-2007, 16:22

Let me clarify. It was dive alert rather than/ in addition to whistle, not instead of SMB. The more the merrier I always say.

It's kind of like that game where they tell you that you have been in a plane crash and have the following items (parachute, mirror, salt tablets, etc,) and you have to rank the items in terms of how important they are. The reality is that you hope you have most of these items if you ever are in a jam. Whistle, SMB, Compass, Dive Alert, Knife, ... Flare gun, , Life Raft, Shark repellant, Avalanche Beacon, Snake Bite Kit.....

Does ST carry shark repellant?

mike_s
08-07-2007, 16:50
Does ST carry shark repellant?

Just carry a dive knife...

No it won't protect you from that Shark, but all you have to do is cut your dive buddy and the sharks will be drawn to his blood and leave you alone! :smilie39: