PDA

View Full Version : Didn't call the dive.

fog
05-07-2008, 14:17
Have you ever failed to call a dive because you didn't want to offend your buddy? Or have you ever been offended when your buddy calls a dive and you felt like going?

MSilvia
05-07-2008, 14:48
Nope. I've called dives for reasons as intangible as just having a vaguely "off" feeling about the dive, and on one of those occasions one of the divers who went in the water didn't survive to make the trip home.

One of the principles I hold paramount in diving is that anyone can call any dive at any time. No questions asked. Personally, I wouldn't want to dive with a buddy who didn't feel safe and ready to go.

You can always dive another day, later the same day, or with a different buddy, so in my opinion, there's no reason for any hard feelings. Ego and peer pressure can get people killed in this sport, and as much fun as diving can be, it isn't worth that.

cummings66
05-07-2008, 15:36
I can honestly say that if I felt a need to call a dive I did so. I would never make another diver feel bad for calling a dive, never make them explain why. Any diver may call any dive for any reason without any question. How's that for over use of any?

spatman
05-07-2008, 16:53
no, and if you are diving with right buddy, offending him/her should never even cross your mind.

texdiveguy
05-07-2008, 17:04
No

No

If you answer Yes to either or both questions....you have some serious 'thinking' to do.

Sounder
05-07-2008, 17:41
Anytime I don't feel like it, I call it. Even if it's just a "something isn't quite right" or "I'm just not thrilled to dive today" kind of feeling.

Anyone can call a dive anytime, period.

texdiveguy
05-07-2008, 17:42
Anytime I don't feel like it, I call it. Even if it's just a "something isn't quite right" or "I'm just not thrilled to dive today" kind of feeling.

100% correct...well stated!!!!!

coyote
05-07-2008, 18:16

100% correct...well stated!!!!!

I absolutely agree.:smiley20:

RikRaeder
05-07-2008, 18:30
I wouldn't feel OFFENDED, but I have felt a bit disappointed though. Disappointment, I can handle. Maybe if my buddy called the dive because they didn't like ME! (imagine)

frogman159
05-07-2008, 19:39
I would never be mad at someone calling a dive.

elijahb
05-07-2008, 21:15
I have sat a couple dives. Sometimes it just doesn't feel right so you need call it. I have never had anyone ask me why I didn't dive. Sometimes your buddy can still dive with another buddy. Does anyone know if it is safe to dive as a group of three?

Chocoholic
05-07-2008, 21:24
I've called a dive before, I feel bad when it's a paid for boat dive, but c'est la vie.

skippy11
05-07-2008, 22:13
I wouldn't feel offend or bad about calling a dive b/c I would want my buddy to do the same if he/she didn't feel comfortable.

Anyone can call a dive at anytime...NO Questions Asked!

Penguino
05-08-2008, 00:27
Being able to call a dive at any time is one of the most important safety precautions IMO. More often than not it preempts a very serious situation underwater that could be hazardous/life threatening. Why risk it? My OW instructor told us that diving is supposed to be fun and painless. If it isn't, call it a day.

IndyDiver
05-08-2008, 08:01
I have only ever had one bad experience in cancelling a dive, and that was many years ago.

Diving off of Halifax, Nova Scotia - Viz was lousy, I felt a little congested, and I wasn't particularly comfortable with the guy I buddied with (a friend of a friend), so I called the dive. The other two guys on the boat, who we didn't know, did the dive.

The guy spent the entire 40 minutes they were gone being pissed off at me for ruining his dive and wasting his money. To this day, I am so glad I didn't get in the water with him.

In fact, looking back on it now, I'm glad I didn't get into the water off of Halifax at all in a WETSUIT :smiley5:

fog
05-08-2008, 20:49
No

No

If you answer Yes to either or both questions....you have some serious 'thinking' to do.

That is probably the most concise answer to the questions. I totaly agree but thought I would kick the question around. Thanks for the responses.

lisacay
05-09-2008, 11:44
Nope. I've called dives for reasons as intangible as just having a vaguely "off" feeling about the dive, and on one of those occasions one of the divers who went in the water didn't survive to make the trip home.

One of the principles I hold paramount in diving is that anyone can call any dive at any time. No questions asked. Personally, I wouldn't want to dive with a buddy who didn't feel safe and ready to go.

You can always dive another day, later the same day, or with a different buddy, so in my opinion, there's no reason for any hard feelings. Ego and peer pressure can get people killed in this sport, and as much fun as diving can be, it isn't worth that.

Amen!

cgvmer
05-09-2008, 12:54
Only piece of disagreement here is the "NO Questions Asked". My dive buddies are usually one or both of my son's, and we have all called a dive, No problem. But, I would suggest asking some questions, especially if they have dove that day already( or the day before). Just to make sure nothing more serious isn't wrong. I'm not talking an inquisition, but a show of concern, combined with complete support for their decision. BTW: I felt very good when my then 14yo son, called his first dive, because his allergies had kicked up while sitting on the boat between dives. My 18yo canceled his only day of diving while on a cruise, also for allergies. Both cases I asked why and supported their reasons, but also had a chance to get medicine for them when we returned.

MSilvia
05-09-2008, 13:00
I don't think "no questions asked" means not to ask why, but that someone calling a dive need not feel obligated to provide a justification or "good reason".

It's always good to look out for a buddy, but if they want to call a dive on the grounds that they just feel like sitting one out, that's as valid as calling one because of a sinus block, nitrogen load, malfunctioning equipment, etc.

spatman
05-09-2008, 13:03
Does anyone know if it is safe to dive as a group of three?

we often dive in groups of three. it is safe as long as all three of you are aware of the increased attentiveness needed to keep track of two other buddies.

emcbride81
05-09-2008, 14:46

we often dive in groups of three. it is safe as long as all three of you are aware of the increased attentiveness needed to keep track of two other buddies.

I have wondered about this. Is it normal or accepted that if I were to call a dive on a boat, another duo would pick up the buddy that I would have dived with? In the event that it should ever happen I would like to know what the protocol/etiquitte would be.

spatman
05-09-2008, 14:55

I have wondered about this. Is it normal or accepted that if I were to call a dive on a boat, another duo would pick up the buddy that I would have dived with? In the event that it should ever happen I would like to know what the protocol/etiquitte would be.

it probably depends on your buddy and the other divers. some people may not be comfortable diving in threes. as far as etiquette, it never hurts to ask, but don't be surprised if they say no...

cummings66
05-09-2008, 17:18
I've picked up a third when his buddy called a dive. It's not uncommon and I've been asked several times last year in fact if I'd take them as a third.

Other than the higher workload it's not a big deal. Basically you just go over the new rules and go dive.

SkuaSeptember
05-09-2008, 19:38
Everyone within my group of buddies has called a dive at one time or another, including my 12 year old. We do have an informal penalty of buying the first round, even if that round is just a coffee at Dunks.:smiley2:

As for adding a diver at the last minute, not a problem unless the dive planned is especially challenging. I've met some great folks this way!

Penguino
05-09-2008, 23:35

I think I remember reading about this in my OW material. They gave a couple of suggestions and the one that stuck with me was that you all three dive either in a line or side by side and the one in the middle is responsible for communication between the other two

emcbride81
05-10-2008, 11:08

I think I remember reading about this in my OW material. They gave a couple of suggestions and the one that stuck with me was that you all three dive either in a line or side by side and the one in the middle is responsible for communication between the other two

Hmmm...the OW manual...might not hurt to go back over that stuff every now and then, huh? :)

That is good to know, I guess it all boils down to the trio's comfort level.