PDA

View Full Version : Post your Speargun

DOWNDEEP73
05-08-2008, 10:45
I want to know more about your Underwater Hunting!
What Brand/Model of speargun do you use?
Length?
How many bands?
Type of Point?
Freshwater/Saltwater?
Favorite Fish?

I'll Start:
*JBL Sawed-Off Magnum XHD
*53" overall- 3/8 X 36 harden spring stainless steel shaft.
*3 Amber 5/8 diameter X 20
*Rotating rock point #843
*Freshwater Lakes in Oklahoma and Arkansas
*Flathead Catfish

ScottZeagle
05-08-2008, 10:58
I have a custom mahogany gun which was made by my friend Ricky...

It has a sea hornet trigger mechanism, and shoots 60" freeshafts with a single flapper.

I usually only use one band, but the gun will hold two. I use Spearfishing Specialties bands.

I have a "kill spike" mounted on the end and a power head holder mounted in front of the trigger, with a spare shaft holder on the right side.

Most of my spearfishing is in the Florida Middlegrounds, and occasionally over in Jupiter with the Emerald Charter guys.

Favorite fish to shoot...grouper. Favorite fish to eat...hogfish!

DOWNDEEP73
05-08-2008, 11:31
I have a custom mahogany gun which was made by my friend Ricky...

It has a sea hornet trigger mechanism, and shoots 60" freeshafts with a single flapper.

I usually only use one band, but the gun will hold two. I use Spearfishing Specialties bands.

I have a "kill spike" mounted on the end and a power head holder mounted in front of the trigger, with a spare shaft holder on the right side.

Most of my spearfishing is in the Florida Middlegrounds, and occasionally over in Jupiter with the Emerald Charter guys.

Favorite fish to shoot...grouper. Favorite fish to eat...hogfish!
Sounds like a very nice gun! You must be proud of it! I would!

No Misses
05-08-2008, 13:31
I am starting a gun collection :-)

1st gun that I bought - Spearfishing Specialties 48" Rhino. I used this gun as a free shafter for several years. for the last year or so I have gone back to line shafting. The shots are a little shorter (range) and the leash does take longer to reload. But, I have stopped many fish that would have run off with my freeshaft in them. I have a spare freeshaft mounted on the left side. The shaft holder also holds a UK mini Q40 light under the barrel of the gun. This works great in low vis since the light is being held ~7 feet in front of me.

2nd Gun - is a Riffe Euro 110x (110 cm). This gun shoots like a laser! I use it with a line shaft. This is my favorite gun.

3rd gun - Aimrite 110 cm w/reel. I have yet to get this gun wet. This is my blue water gun.

wolfen42
05-08-2008, 14:01
Ok, can I just say that y'all are testing my ability to limit my interest area when it comes to diving. I never would have guessed that I'd end up so interested in underwater hunting. sigh...

mark44883
05-08-2008, 14:07
remington 870 12 gauge sluge barrel i like to shoot bluegill not much to eat though

DOWNDEEP73
05-08-2008, 14:21
remington 870 12 gauge sluge barrel i like to shoot bluegill not much to eat though
If you are going to use a shotgun use a real one like this....
Guns: Recoilless Auto Shotgun Fires 300 Rounds Per Minute, No Cleaning or Lube Required (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/guns/recoilless-auto-shotgun-fires-300-rounds-per-minute-no-cleaning-or-lube-required-324453.php?autoplay=true)

ScottZeagle
05-08-2008, 14:21

Oh, I have a collection as well...

I have two 54" Spearfishing Speacialties guns - one made of paloupe wood (which is negativly buoyant) and a rhino coated gun. I use for rhino gun for line shafting. Both have the commercial muzzle and I love them both....but the home made gun is my favorite.

If I had to buy a gun from the store, for my type of hunting, I would choose the Spearfishing Specialties line of guns!!!!

I also had a MiddleGrounds Special made by Daryl Wong, but it was so pretty that I never liked using it...so I finally sold it.
I should have kept it, too....

Spearguns and guitars...things I keep, sell, and then wish I had back again.

DOWNDEEP73
05-08-2008, 21:09

Oh, I have a collection as well...

I have two 54" Spearfishing Speacialties guns - one made of paloupe wood (which is negativly buoyant) and a rhino coated gun. I use for rhino gun for line shafting. Both have the commercial muzzle and I love them both....but the home made gun is my favorite.

If I had to buy a gun from the store, for my type of hunting, I would choose the Spearfishing Specialties line of guns!!!!

I also had a MiddleGrounds Special made by Daryl Wong, but it was so pretty that I never liked using it...so I finally sold it.
I should have kept it, too....

Spearguns and guitars...things I keep, sell, and then wish I had back again.
I'm like that with wives. I buy em', keep em', then get rid of em'!

DOWNDEEP73
05-09-2008, 07:59
I would have thought that there was more speargun hunters in this forum!
3 and I'm the only freshwater hunter.

ScottZeagle
05-09-2008, 09:34
Spearboard.com and/or SpearfishingPlanet.com are a couple of boards that might be of interest to you....

;)

DOWNDEEP73
05-09-2008, 10:37
Spearboard.com and/or SpearfishingPlanet.com are a couple of boards that might be of interest to you....

;)
Thanks Scott....I'll check them out!
By the way, I love my 911!

mulefeathers
05-09-2008, 12:49
JBL Xhd Magnum
3 bands
There is no where around my area to hunt fresh water. Gulf only besides the species that you can shoot are trash fish.

OilfieldTrash
05-09-2008, 16:39
JBL sawed off magnum is what I carry

justaddwater_ifukuda
05-09-2008, 17:29
- Riffe Comp 3 with extended stock.
- Two or three 9/16" bands. Recoils too much (poor accuracy) when using 3 bands and a heavy shaft. VERY accurate with 2 bands and a light shaft.
- Very smooth trigger mechanism.
- Saltwater
- Flexible enough for both SCUBA and freediving.
- Largest fish I've taken with it was in the 20lbs range.

ChrisA
05-09-2008, 18:09
I would have thought that there was more speargun hunters in this forum!
3 and I'm the only freshwater hunter.

I'm looking to buy a gun. I'l post what I get after I buy it. There is not fresh water near here. Only the Pacific Ocean. I'd be after Calico Bass, Ling Cod and the like or a Halibet. Hunting in near shore reefs. I'm thinking of a 42 inch AB Biller.

Grin
05-11-2008, 10:55
I have three guns.
58 Deathstick with 3 5/8 bands, for clear vis and months when big fish are around.

50 Deathstick with two 5/8 bands, for low vis and months of the year when the real big fish are not too common.

90cm Aimrite for lobster season, small-easy to carry-powerful gun-that shoots great-cost very little-sinks and lays on the bottow nicely while I shag lobsters. This gun is the gun I take when I doubt I'll shoot a fish all day, but a just in case situation.

shaggie
05-14-2008, 10:19
JBL sawed off magnum modified with 3 5/8th bands, breakaway tip and a ss leash. I only get to spear 3 or 4 times a year, on the oil rigs off Port Aransas and Puget Sound in Washington state. I'm hoping for some AJ this saturday!

DIdiver
05-15-2008, 23:39
48 inch Spearfishing Specialties and a 42 inch JBL super carbine

DiverMAN
05-21-2008, 19:24
I wanna get into spearfishing, I just gotta wait for my new job to roll in some money so that I can get one... any suggestions?

DOWNDEEP73
05-22-2008, 00:01
I wanna get into spearfishing, I just gotta wait for my new job to roll in some money so that I can get one... any suggestions?
Freshwater? Saltwater?
Type(s) of fish you seek?

Splitlip
05-26-2008, 12:04
SP Panther

DiverMAN
05-26-2008, 13:54
Freshwater? Saltwater?
Salt water... any fish I can get...

DOWNDEEP73
05-26-2008, 14:08
Freshwater? Saltwater?
Check out Spearfishing Specialties. Maybe something 52"-60". Maybe Teek or mahogany. Depends on your preference!
Happy Hunting!
Sea Hornet Spearguns and Accessories (http://www.spearfishingspecialties.com/)

DiverMAN
05-26-2008, 18:00
Freshwater? Saltwater?
Check out Spearfishing Specialties. Maybe something 52"-60". Maybe Teek or mahogany. Depends on your preference!
Happy Hunting!
Sea Hornet Spearguns and Accessories (http://www.spearfishingspecialties.com/)
Thanks for the info man...

DOWNDEEP73
05-26-2008, 18:20
This will be my next gun! The 42" model!
http://www.spearfishingspecialties.com/resources/guns/rhinosport.jpg
Model #
Gun
Size
Gun Style

CR42LS
42"
Rhino Sport

Features

Extremely Durable Polyurethane Coating
Sure Grip Textured Finish
Hi-Vis Yellow Butt and Bands
Speed Load Mono Line System
Butt Extension ( for easier band loading)
Hybrid Spring Steel Spearshaft
Stainless Cable Speargun BandsHi-Vis Yellow Butt & Bands
The new Hi-Vis yellow gun butt and bands are the latest addition for Sea Hornet wood spearguns. The Hi-Vis yellow color is a safety feature to help spot a diver who has surfaced away from the boat, as well as a locating feature in case the gun floats to the surface.
The Rhino Sport is the first speargun on the market to offer Hi-Vis components as a safety feature as well as a performance function in low visibility conditions

Splitlip
05-26-2008, 20:02
This will be my next gun! The 42" model!
http://www.spearfishingspecialties.com/resources/guns/rhinosport.jpg
Model #
Gun
Size
Gun Style

CR42LS
42"
Rhino Sport

Features

Extremely Durable Polyurethane Coating
Sure Grip Textured Finish
Hi-Vis Yellow Butt and Bands
Speed Load Mono Line System
Butt Extension ( for easier band loading)
Hybrid Spring Steel Spearshaft
Stainless Cable Speargun BandsHi-Vis Yellow Butt & Bands
The new Hi-Vis yellow gun butt and bands are the latest addition for Sea Hornet wood spearguns. The Hi-Vis yellow color is a safety feature to help spot a diver who has surfaced away from the boat, as well as a locating feature in case the gun floats to the surface.
The Rhino Sport is the first speargun on the market to offer Hi-Vis components as a safety feature as well as a performance function in low visibility conditions
Go for the commercial muzzle too.

ScottZeagle
05-27-2008, 10:01
Go for the commercial muzzle too.

Yes, go for the commercial muzzle by all means!!!

DIdiver
05-27-2008, 12:37
I have this one in 48". I love it.