PDA

View Full Version : Flying Delta Airlines w/ a pony

diverdan_51
05-08-2008, 17:24
Has anyone recently flown on Delta Airlines with a pony bottle? Outside of the TSA rules which are no problem, Delta's website says that they have a $150 charge for taking a scuba tank on a plane. $150 dollars for something that will fit in my freaking laptop case!!!!!!!! I was wanting to take my 13 cf pony to Cozumel next month but if Delta really is charging $150 for ANY tank it's just not worth it....:smiley21:

spatman
05-08-2008, 17:28
what are the TSA rules? when you fly with a tank, do you have to disassemble it?

diverdan_51
05-08-2008, 17:32
Yes, you must remove the valve and leave the cylinder open so that the TSA agent can inspect the interior and make sure there's nothing illegal inside. Also, but unrelated to the TSA, any time after the valve has been removed, your supposed to have the cylinder re-VIP'd.

jbres1
05-08-2008, 20:44
I have been on Delta with a pony in my carry on bag about 6 or 8 times in the past 2 years without a problem.
I have carried both a 19 and a 13 without being asked by Delta .
The TSA is the only group that has seen my ponies.
Jim Breslin

diverdan_51
05-08-2008, 21:04
Thanks Jim for the info.

All I could figure is that Delta was just trying to discourage passengers from taking a scuba tank on their plane for whatever reason. It's pretty ridiculous to think that it would cost $150 to carry something that's barely longer than a 2 liter bottle and is smaller in diameter. I also plan on taking my fill whip so I can scam some free air off of a full tank... :smiley36:

Dan

jbres1
05-09-2008, 09:32
Dan,
I always bring a fill whip with just for that reason.
I will rent an extra tank for the first dive just so I can fill the 2 ponies up , and then top them off with the dive tank. This way I have both tanks close to full.

Jim Breslin

torrey
05-09-2008, 09:53
It could really suck if you're pressed for time and you get there and they say $150, leave it, or don't fly. Would you have time to take it back to your car? Do they have any way to hold it? I've never used a pony, but I think I might try to make arrangements with the dive-op for a rental. Or possibly ship it to the dive-op beforehand if it really means that much to you.

huvrr
05-09-2008, 10:18
the baggage rules for "scuba tanks" were written for larger tanks that are checked not pony/spare airs etc. those rules have been there for more than 20 years.

No Misses
05-09-2008, 10:19
How about if you drain it down to <40 PSI. Ship it via FedEx or UPS to your hotel one week prior to arrival. It should be waiting for you when you get there. Just a thought...

DOWNDEEP73
05-09-2008, 10:23
For $150 bucks!.....you can buy one for that!

spatman
05-09-2008, 10:31
For $150 bucks!.....you can buy one for that!

haha, that's a good point! and that's also assuming you can get one wherever it is you're going...

BuzzGA
05-10-2008, 11:45
If I take the valve off, put the tank in duffel bag with a TSA lock on it and it weighs under 50 lbs will Delta every know?

spatman
05-10-2008, 12:04
If I take the valve off, put the tank in duffel bag with a TSA lock on it and it weighs under 50 lbs will Delta every know?

i'm pretty sure that a big metal cylinder will show up on their x-rays...

DarinMartell
05-10-2008, 12:15
I took my spare air on delta last Niv. No problems, Now I have a 30cf, I guess well see.

BuzzGA
05-10-2008, 13:10

The x-rays I've seen were all operated by TSA, so as long as TSA clears it...

ScaredSilly
05-14-2008, 21:01
Take the valve off, put a piece of tape or plastic cap over the opening, stick in your bags preferably on top with a copy of this:

TSA: Compressed Gas Cylinders (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/compressed_gas.shtm)

Do not lock said bags but place a zip tie inside with a request that it be place on the zippers after any inspection. Check in as normal with said bags.

TSA will pull the bags for a secondary inspection as the cylinder will show up as a big black thing and be flagged. Allow for an extra 10-15 minutes for said inspection.

TSA will hopefully find zip tie and secure baggage.

Repeat process on the return.

Scotttyd
05-14-2008, 21:24

The x-rays I've seen were all operated by TSA, so as long as TSA clears it...
I am pretty sure delta does not know what is inside your bags, they do not inspect. As long as you are within weight limits you are OK (I think, I never have tried)