PDA

View Full Version : Brochure on yoga and scuba diving

divingyogini
05-08-2008, 17:47
Hello,

For a recent dive expo, my husband and I put together some brochures on how yoga helps scuba diving with tips on finding a good yoga class near you. My OWSI husband included some tips on improving your surface air consumption (SAC) rate.

We have some brochures left and instead of putting them in storage, forgetting about them just to reprint them for the next event, we'd like to mail them out to anyone who's interested. If you would like one (or more), please send me a PM with your name and address and I'll pop some in the mail to you.

Cheers, Kimberlee

beperkins
10-16-2008, 12:43
Do you have an electronic copy available like a word document?

JFH
10-24-2008, 13:05
I just started doing yoga for some issues with my knees and it has been great. I see how it would benefit diving. I never gave it much thought before but since trying it I am hooked.

divingyogini
10-25-2008, 16:42
No, we don't have it available as an electronic version because we formatted it for a three-fold print, which does not translate well to screen.

Plus we want to make sure that the copies that we printed actually get used and don't just go to the recycle bin.

Yes, yoga can be great for dealing with muscle imbalances which can cause joint pain, especially knee pain. In fact, my knee pain got so bad I quit weight training and just did yoga for a long time and my knees felt so much better. That plus giving up running and step aerobics.

Cheers, Kimberlee

BarbadosSlim93
10-25-2008, 18:44
I'll take a brochure. My wife is pregnant and looking to get into yoga, and I can use anything that would help me with my diving. I'll send you a PM.

Zyxistal
10-26-2008, 11:44
I always wanted to try yoga up until my doctor strongly advised against it. My wife is interested though I'll ask if she wants a brochure. Thanks for the information you're making available though.

divingyogini
10-28-2008, 10:56
I always wanted to try yoga up until my doctor strongly advised against it.

I would really be curious as to why. There are some more aggressive types of yoga that I think would not be good for beginners, but a good yoga teacher with a solid grounding in anatomy who knows how to teach a basic foundational class would be great. Yoga poses, taught well, can be very therapeutic. I also found it highly suspect that he/she said to avoid all yoga rather than just tell you to avoid certain poses. I would ask for specifics and ask if there are certain types of yoga he/she wants you to avoid and certain poses. I'm very curious myself.

No problem on the brochures!

divingyogini
10-28-2008, 10:59
I'll take a brochure. My wife is pregnant and looking to get into yoga, and I can use anything that would help me with my diving. I'll send you a PM.

Hey, just a note--prenatal yoga is a special art. I teach a prenatal class and have noted some of the differences on this page under "What makes prenatal yoga unique" 8th Element Yoga - Prenatal Yoga (http://www.8thelementyoga.com/prenatal/)

Congrats on your soon-to-be baby, and please urge your wife to go to a prenatal class instead of a regular class so she can get all the special treatment she deserves.

BarbadosSlim93
10-28-2008, 20:33

Hey, just a note--prenatal yoga is a special art. I teach a prenatal class and have noted some of the differences on this page under "What makes prenatal yoga unique" 8th Element Yoga - Prenatal Yoga (http://www.8thelementyoga.com/prenatal/)

Congrats on your soon-to-be baby, and please urge your wife to go to a prenatal class instead of a regular class so she can get all the special treatment she deserves.

Yes, I think she is going to be attending a prenatal class. She originally got into the idea of yoga by playing Nintendo Wii Fit, but she has a hard time now because she can't balance on the board easily. She really liked the flexibility she gained from yoga. I'd like to hone in on my breathing and see how it can help me underwater.

divingyogini
10-28-2008, 22:59

Yes, I think she is going to be attending a prenatal class. She originally got into the idea of yoga by playing Nintendo Wii Fit, but she has a hard time now because she can't balance on the board easily. She really liked the flexibility she gained from yoga. I'd like to hone in on my breathing and see how it can help me underwater.

Also, and I say this as the mom of a 5-month-old. Tell her to get in the water and swim often. The water totally saved me while pregnant.

Diver Kat
10-28-2008, 23:07
I have 5 herniated discs and my doc advised yoga for my body type, so I would love a brochure. I'll PM you ..

RoyN
10-30-2008, 11:13
I do zen underwater. Sometimes I use a rake and make sand patterns. :D

mm_dm
10-31-2008, 07:44
I have 5 herniated discs and my doc advised yoga for my body type, so I would love a brochure. I'll PM you ..

I herniated a disk in my neck about 15 years ago, plus I have scoliosis from a extra lumbar I was born with which causes my lower back muscles to spasm on occasion. Without Hatha Yoga, I wouldn't be walking as upright as I am today.

BarbadosSlim93
10-31-2008, 14:48
Hello,

For a recent dive expo, my husband and I put together some brochures on how yoga helps scuba diving with tips on finding a good yoga class near you. My OWSI husband included some tips on improving your surface air consumption (SAC) rate.

We have some brochures left and instead of putting them in storage, forgetting about them just to reprint them for the next event, we'd like to mail them out to anyone who's interested. If you would like one (or more), please send me a PM with your name and address and I'll pop some in the mail to you.

Cheers, Kimberlee

Kimberlee, I sent you a PM a while back, but I am not sure that it went through. Can you send me one back if you recieve it? I'm going to try again.

teerlkay
11-24-2008, 09:51
This sounds great. I know it been sometime since your original post but I'm gonna try and pm you anyways.

teerlkay
11-25-2008, 08:21
FYI – Still available.

Thanks again divingyogini!

calwolf
12-01-2008, 12:06
FYI, there's a book available for sale on Amazon (I'm sure it can be found elsewhere as well) called "Yoga for Scuba Divers". I haven't had a chance to look through it yet, but it's not expensive and it's gotten a few good reviews. Here's a link to the book:

Amazon.com: Yoga for Scuba Divers: Todd Stedl: Books (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615154328?ie=UTF8&tag=jesswalkspers-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0615154328)

maggs_the
06-24-2009, 06:36
FYI, there's a book available for sale on Amazon (I'm sure it can be found elsewhere as well) called "Yoga for Scuba Divers". I haven't had a chance to look through it yet, but it's not expensive and it's gotten a few good reviews. Here's a link to the book:

Amazon.com: Yoga for Scuba Divers: Todd Stedl: Books (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615154328?ie=UTF8&tag=jesswalkspers-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0615154328)

okay, i bit :D

i've been diving for about 5 years and immediately gave up cigerettes when i began my OW class but am just now starting to think maybe i should EXERCISE to help out my diving... i've been dabbling in beginner yoga for about 2 weeks so when i saw this book, well... yes... i am going to buy it. i dont know if i should review it since i am not schooled enough in yoga to really give it a good comparison, but i am looking forward to receiving my copy in about a week.... maybe it'll even keep my interest going in yoga which is HARDER by the way than i ever would have thought "being still" could be :D