PDA

View Full Version : Marital Advice

3boyzmom
05-09-2008, 15:51
Posting this here because I think my dad's advice to my husband on our wedding day is sage advice meant for mankind in general, and not specific to my hubby. I'm thinking maybe all you guys out there can use some truly useful advice. So, here it is....

"Keep your mouth shut and your wallet open and everything will be just fine."

:smiley20:

Beaucoupfishies
05-09-2008, 16:05
Posting this here because I think my dad's advice to my husband on our wedding day is sage advice meant for mankind in general, and not specific to my hubby. I'm thinking maybe all you guys out there can use some truly useful advice. So, here it is....

Or even better, keep your mouth shut at the part where you're supposed to say, "I do." :smiley36:

mike_s
05-09-2008, 16:08
What's one thing you can feed a woman that will hardly ever make her want to have sex again?....

Wedding cake...

3boyzmom
05-09-2008, 16:11
What's one thing you can feed a woman that will hardly ever make her want to have sex again?....

Wedding cake...

I'll have to tell my husband that one....:smilie39:

cummings66
05-09-2008, 17:02
Being just a young pup myself, I will say that having a partner fulfills many needs and provides many that are of greater value than imagined.

Those of us who've been married a while have learned something, what that is I'm still working on. I like coming home and having my wife there so we can talk, play, cry, whatever it needs there she is. I like that constant in my life.

DivingCRNA
05-09-2008, 17:29

Wedding cake...

It also makes her gain A LOT of weight! What is in wedding cake???:smilie39::smilie40:

3boyzmom
05-09-2008, 19:48
Being just a young pup myself, I will say that having a partner fulfills many needs and provides many that are of greater value than imagined.

Those of us who've been married a while have learned something, what that is I'm still working on. I like coming home and having my wife there so we can talk, play, cry, whatever it needs there she is. I like that constant in my life.

Oh my goodness...that's the best post ever!! Was your wife sitting next to you while you wrote it??!! I can just see it now....you're in the "do you pee in the shower" thread...then your wife comes over and says, "whatcha' doin?" so you real quick start typing the response above. It would work for me! Seriously, I've been married 15 years and feel that way too, but I'm a woman! I didn't know guys even thought that deeply about it.

Largo
05-09-2008, 20:05
I don't know...

If I could afford to be married, I'd probably just use the money to buy some Atomic regs, and get a nice Dive Rite BP/W set-up.

John Yaskowich
05-09-2008, 20:10
I will not give a man advice about marriage or religion. I will not be responsible for his suffering in this world or the next. --?Mark Twain?

Largo
05-09-2008, 20:25
Sorry, Dudes and Dudettes, but...

Marriage seems an awful lot like a case of identity theft that never goes away.

"Divorce is when you pay a woman not to live with you anymore."

-Drago (from McLintock!)

IndyDiver
05-09-2008, 20:38
After 18 years it's way past identity theft - It's more like a Vulcan mind meld at this point.

Largo
05-09-2008, 20:57
"Better you than me."

-Adam Baldwin (from Full Metal Jacket)

3boyzmom
05-10-2008, 09:12
After 18 years it's way past identity theft - It's more like a Vulcan mind meld at this point.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

hoobascooba
05-10-2008, 09:25
on my second marriage now, and one thing i still haven't learned:

Don't expect too much, that way you won't be disappointed.

OilfieldTrash
05-10-2008, 10:03

A friend of mine once told me: "If I ever decide to get married again, I'll just shortcut the system and find a woman I hate and buy her a house"

*Merlin*
05-10-2008, 10:31
Never marry the woman you can't live without. Marry the woman you can live with.

DiverMom
05-10-2008, 12:23
Maybe you guys haven't met you soul mates yet... and yes they exist. Known my DH for 28 years, we've been married for 20 of them. He encourages me to find more of myself then I ever imagined was there. Without his support I never would have come to know how strong of a person I am how very much I am capable of. A truly good relationship mellow and improves with age. :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

Largo
05-10-2008, 12:34
"Ever notice how soulmates always seem to live within driving distance of one another?"

-Scott Adams, The Way of the Weasel

Scotttyd
05-14-2008, 13:43

Wedding cake...

sad, but true :smiley13:

divingmedic
05-14-2008, 15:02

Wedding cake...

sad, but true :smiley13:

How true, as soon as they say "I Do" they don't. I know so many jokes to tell, but I can't. They are not clean enough to post here.

ratown
05-14-2008, 15:35

Sounds like your pops is on a tight leash.

hychang
05-14-2008, 15:36
I resemble this after 17 years, this Memorial Day weekend :smiley29::smiley29::smiley29:!

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Illini_Fan
05-14-2008, 15:37

A friend of mine once told me: "If I ever decide to get married again, I'll just shortcut the system and find a woman I hate and buy her a house"

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: thanks, I like that one.

Scotttyd
05-14-2008, 19:05

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: thanks, I like that one.
stay away from illini fans
Go Hawkeyes

Scotttyd
05-14-2008, 19:06
[quote=Largo;170555]

You forgot to give her half of your stuff:smiley21:

cummings66
05-16-2008, 07:17
Oh my goodness...that's the best post ever!! Was your wife sitting next to you while you wrote it??!! I can just see it now....you're in the "do you pee in the shower"

It's strange you asked that, but no she was not there when I wrote it and oddly enough I just showed her the do you pee thread.

I believe many of the guy responses here are the typical male responses, but not a true reflection of what they think. Men are not typically emotional and we don't speak of them, but we do have them and think about things, we just don't tell you.

Lately I've been learning new things and changing for the better, or so I hope. Marriage is a partnership and if either doesn't keep up their end the marriage will fail. IMO you must give and take, in all things to be successful.

ndv21
05-16-2008, 09:33
Damn. I should have read this thread before popping the question.

cummings66
05-16-2008, 12:01
I recall the day I proposed vividly. I so wanted to get married and I asked her, after she said yes my next thoughts were, "what have I just done?"

As it turned out I did the best thing I've ever done in my life, and I was lucky enough she said yes.

WetHog
05-16-2008, 12:18
I would have to agree. I chased my lady for 5 years before she finally agreed to marry me. We celebrated 13 years in February. I am one of the lucky ones to have married way way up.

JTMoney
05-16-2008, 16:35
Been with my gf for 5 years come July. Both agreed marriage wouldn't come until after college is over. Kinda nice not having that to worry about just yet.

buddhasummer
05-18-2008, 06:27
Oh my goodness...that's the best post ever!! Was your wife sitting next to you while you wrote it??!! I can just see it now....you're in the "do you pee in the shower"

It's strange you asked that, but no she was not there when I wrote it and oddly enough I just showed her the do you pee thread.

I believe many of the guy responses here are the typical male responses, but not a true reflection of what they think. Men are not typically emotional and we don't speak of them, but we do have them and think about things, we just don't tell you.

Lately I've been learning new things and changing for the better, or so I hope. Marriage is a partnership and if either doesn't keep up their end the marriage will fail. IMO you must give and take, in all things to be successful.

I liked your post #5 on this thread, it sounded true, honest and real, something I would lie to have, good luck with the changing, I think its when we stop changing that it all falls to pieces...Good luck eh...

buddhasummer
05-18-2008, 06:28

I liked your post #5 on this thread, it sounded true, honest and real, something I would like to have more of, good luck with the changing, I think its when we stop changing that it all falls to pieces...Good luck eh...

snagel
05-18-2008, 10:03
In July I will be married 18 years, but we dated for 4 years also. So, we have been together for over 20 years over half my life. I am perfectly happy and my wife says the same. The other day we attended my nephews wedding and my wife and I talked about "how we beat the national average" for being married. Then my wife told me, "I think I'm good for another 10 years". Not sure how to take this.

Here is a perspective....about 6 months ago out of the blue, a buddy's wife calls my wife and wants to know if she can rent our other house. Apparently, she is moving out. The next day, I meet up with my buddy and he is basically an emotional wreck, but trying to keep things together for his two kids (boy 13 and girl 16). He says they have had some issues for about a year (nobody ever knew and thought they were the perfect couple). He said that his wife just didn't know if she wanted to continue being married and wanted to "try other things" to make sure she really wanted to remain married. She was having strange feelings for a guy she worked with and this caused her to question if she really wanted to married. Obviously, there is a lot more to this story. They are both handling this the best they can and has asked everybody not to take sides; which we are not.

It has been 6 months since she moved out (not in our other house because we didn't want to get in the middle of this). They attend kid functions together and appear to be very civil to each other. I'm close with my buddy and man has this taken a toll on him. He believes he did nothing wrong and still is wanting to work things out. He is a changed person. I'm very worried about him. The first things he did was quite drinking. Not that he was a huge drinker but he thought he didn't want to fall into a drunken state. He then found god. He attends church several times a week and his whole attitude now is that everything in life is in Gods hands. Maybe this is good, but man this just isn't the person I knew for years. He is so laid back, but I can tell deep down he is trying to angle everything so that his wife will take him back. The kids...they are handling this good. But, I can see they too are changed. The boy who is my sons best friend "has an attitude". He's a good kid and maybe this is just being a teenager, but he is mouthy and rebelious. The daughter is doing everything she can to support her father and frankly has a grudge against her mother.

The point is that sometimes you don't know what you have until you lose it. I'm sure I don't know everything about this relationship, but I can see what is happening to my buddy. He is still very much in love with his wife and has told me that what he thinks lead up to all this was that he "took his wife for granted". Now, he just wants everything back and has been trying to show her that he realizes that. So, the morol to the story is you always have to work at it. Don't get caught in a rut. I've been through this and was able to work things out. Hopefully, my buddy and his wife can too.

S. Nagel

longtailbda
06-02-2008, 16:43
Been married for over 20 years w/ only 2 arguments in all that time. Rarely receive any grief and hopefully she can say the same. Poor girl; sometimes I think she was blind and deaf when we met. Thank goodness, after all this time she finally tried diving. Guess what I'm about to start bleeding money for equipment and more lessons.:smiley20:

imasinker
06-02-2008, 19:34
I got you all beat..... Married and my wife bought all my gear! How lucky is THAT!!!!

Largo
06-02-2008, 20:53
...too...much...glucose...must...reach...insulin.. .aaarrrghhh

Largo
06-02-2008, 21:03
Don't panic! I'm OK. The paramedics showed up and gave me a shot of testosterone, and a six-pack of beer.

david_57
06-02-2008, 21:05
I was married for 18 years got rid of her 10 years ago since then have had the best years of my life, the kids chose to stay with me and we adjusted very well.

buddhasummer
06-03-2008, 08:00
I was married for 18 years got rid of her 10 years ago since then have had the best years of my life, the kids chose to stay with me and we adjusted very well.

Thats great, the kids and the best years of your life I mean:smiley20:

cummings66
06-03-2008, 10:04
To many of the posters who regard marriage as a downer, I suppose it can be if you've got the wrong partner but if you've got the right one marriage can be very beneficial. My wife whom I love dearly is probably one of the best women on the planet IMO. She's allowed me to have things that she has every right to say no to, but she loves me enough to realize that I need things. She is not a fan of my diving, she thinks that I may someday not come back from a dive and it scares her, yet she loves me enough to let me participate in it knowing I may not return. But she let me have it because she loves me and knows I need this, and she knows that I have done everything in my power to insure I always come home. She's let me have others things for the same reasons and that makes for a strong marriage if I also give her the same considerations.

What I've learned in marriage (22 years as of June 1) is that in the beginning you and your spouse will spend every second together, that's good because you're getting to know each other. After a time it's bad for the marriage if you both give up your friends and hobbies or worse choose only one set of friends to maintain.

My marriage was fantastic in the beginning, then it waned due to losing friends and hobbies, then my daughter came into the picture and we lost each other because now we had no true friends and no outside interests. We got that back and here's the things we do now.

Friends, we've got them back and make time to be with them on a regular basis, she visits hers and I visit mine on a frequent basis. We take one day a month and drop our daughter off at Grandma's and have a date, it's just us and we spend every second of it with each other, talking and playing, there are no hobbies done by either of us because it's "our" time to be together. We are not with each other 100% of the time like we used to be and that makes us stronger. Making time for our own selves outside of "us" has made our marriage stronger than it's ever been. I think that's the key, do not lose yourself in your partner, either one of you.

DiveSooner
06-03-2008, 11:03
After 11 years for me, we are still learning about each other. Have to make compremizes ever day..