PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Snap help

DirtyWaterIL
08-05-2007, 11:57
I think Ive been to just about every hardware store, scuba site, and marine supply website i can think of and i still can't find what i'm looking for. i want some bolt snaps with extra large thumb hooks kind of like the ones you see on trigger snaps. Anyone know where i can find some? I find it somewhat difficult to operate them when my hands are extremely soggy or when i'm wearing very thick gloves.

ScubaToys Larry
08-05-2007, 11:59
I've never seen something like that.. and you may not. From a leverage and physics standpoint, it look like if you put a larger tab on the first kind, when you try to depress it, you might be rotating it which would make the shaft bind in the sliding hole. That may be why you can't find it!

DirtyWaterIL
08-05-2007, 12:15
ok now i have to make something to try to prove you wrong, brb

ScubaToys Larry
08-05-2007, 12:21
ok now i have to make something to try to prove you wrong, brb

Cool! And when you make 'em... I'll sell 'em for you!

DirtyWaterIL
08-05-2007, 12:31
Ok were both right. i don't have a video camera or anything to prove it but i will put some pics up later when my gf shows me how to operate the camera. i drilled a 3/32 hold into the thumb lever and then placed the 2.5" drill bit inside the hole. I have a rather fat thumb, about 1.25" across. With my thumb close to the lever, but using the drill bit for grip the bold slides just as easily as when used normally. When i hold my thumb at the end of the dril bit and try to slide the bold it binds immediately and will not slide. I do not know the math to figure out the exact formula but with the snap i was using the lever can be "X" longer than the length of the bolt "y" before it starts to bind.

DirtyWaterIL
08-05-2007, 12:37
i appreciate you offering to sell them if i make them but i do not have the money or the knowledge to start something like that. All I want is an easier way to clip my console across my chest.

Vercingetorix
08-05-2007, 22:25
You'll find them at Reef Scuba stainless steel (http://www.reefscuba.com/ss.htm) (scroll half-way) and brass (http://www.reefscuba.com/brass.htm)

ScubaToys Larry
08-05-2007, 22:36
Those are just like the ones he already found. He is looking for a hybrid, one kind of opening, the other kind of lever.

hydro
08-06-2007, 10:20
In Verc's link that he provides, there are butterfly snaps, which have a bit larger thumb area, a la:

ScubaToys Larry
08-06-2007, 10:22
Yea, those might be easier for him to get - but with the rounded pull tab - it still might not give him enough grip to do it easily with gloves. Might be worth a try though!

ertechsg
08-06-2007, 10:34
Check out a local farm shop or horses I know I'v seen something like that before. Try myTSCstore.com

CompuDude
08-06-2007, 12:34
I've never seen something like what he's describing.

Two options: 1) try butterfly bolts and see if that accomplishes the goal, or 2) practice practice practice with the regular ones. I know guys who throw on their bp/w and gloves and sit around the living room while watching TV, attaching and unattaching the clips, to build the muscle memory and get better at working with them.

It CAN be done with regular bolts snaps. It just takes practice.

DirtyWaterIL
08-06-2007, 22:26
I'm gonna try one of the butterfly snaps, thanks a lot