PDA

View Full Version : AOW /Stress and Rescue

Mtrewyn
05-09-2008, 21:23
Does one need to AOW in order to take the Stress and rescue Class? I was just wondering about the different agencies, I have not asked my dive shop yet, but they will only do SSI.

huvrr
05-13-2008, 10:33
I do know that the Cpr/first aid is a prerequisite but I don't know if AOW is. I don't think it should be.

ScubaG
05-13-2008, 15:10
With SSI you can take Stress & Rescue right afer Open Water; no need to be AOW though wouldn't hurt.

Have fun with your class!

divingmedic
05-14-2008, 15:15
When I was taking my stress and rescue they wanted to see my first aid and Cpr card. Well they took my Cpr card but they would not take my Paramedic certification for first aid.

bamamedic
05-14-2008, 15:23
that's hilarious! I always assumed my NREMT Paramedic certification would serve as an appropriate prerequisite for Stress and Rescue. If I have to sit through a basic first aid class, I think I'd fall asleep :D

Illini_Fan
05-14-2008, 15:32
I think this varies by agency. NAUI does not require AOW before Rescue class. You must be CPR/First Aid certified before they issue you the Rescue card - but you can still take the class without those certs.

I believe that PADI requires AOW before their Rescue class.

elijahb
05-14-2008, 19:29
it wouldn't hurt to take your aow first. I think it gives you more time to practise.

huvrr
05-17-2008, 05:34
When I was taking my stress and rescue they wanted to see my first aid and Cpr card. Well they took my Cpr card but they would not take my Paramedic certification for first aid.
In this case they wouldn't have taken my money either.

Mtrewyn
05-17-2008, 08:24

I would have to question this, but I have heard of stranger things, and the Medical Field is full of odd balls like this, a good one is I think it is in OK if you want to be a RN you have to be a CNA first, but not if you are a LPN, so to get in to a RN job you have to go and take a CNA, not for sure I might be talking out my hind end but I have seen some dumb things that people have had to do, to satisfy educational requirements.

scubasamurai
05-17-2008, 08:53

I would have to question this, but I have heard of stranger things, and the Medical Field is full of odd balls like this, a good one is I think it is in OK if you want to be a RN you have to be a CNA first, but not if you are a LPN, so to get in to a RN job you have to go and take a CNA, not for sure I might be talking out my hind end but I have seen some dumb things that people have had to do, to satisfy educational requirements.

As an RN , if you mean certified nursing assistant ( CNA ) then your answer is no in the states of Texas, virginia, florida and new jersey. you could enter college right out of highschool and start an RN program with no medical training required , just good grades. lots of LPN's enter junior year into the RN programs, because lets face it , they had experience in that field just lacked the college courses. a CNA basically one who handles basic patient needs, baths, out of bed, etc you get the point. i entered my RN program as a veteran EMT and that made a big difference.

ok in padi rescue requires you to have AOW and cpr and first aid prior to taking the course. of course that makes sense. but being a paramedic and they not taking your certs as fullfilling your first aid requirment, sounds like the lds wants to charge you for a first aid course. i would call your certifying agency and see if they will accept this. as an RN/Firefighter they took my cert for the first aid requirements with no questions. so double check could save you time and money and you probably can teach the class, because i am becoming an EFR instructor and the stuff they teach you is very basic, even below the level of emt i feel.

Mtrewyn
05-17-2008, 09:46
there are some nursing programs at our local Colleges that require it as a prereq. to get into their program first, not to be licensed but to be in the "class" so to speak, some do some don't, but you would think that the EMT would satisfy the first aid/CPR requirement for rescue diver class but...

after that you are exactly right you don't have to have anything other than the schooling to sit for the board tests.

As i went back and re read my post it did not make a lot of sense, let me finish my thought, the LPN would have to go and take the CNA class before they could take the RN classes, and that seems like having to take steps back, do you relay think that the place doing the clinical time for that (LPN) CNA is going to use them as an aid, at my hospital we would put them to work as the LPN to fill a spot that we need filled than sign off the paper to show what they needed to get in to the class, and I think with the shortage of nurses most places would do this.

I would think that with the shortage or RN the schools would make it easer to get in or through or something, but our local schools have made it HARDER in the last few years, by doing away with RN programs and replacing them all with BSN and upping the standards for entry not that we need bad nurses but medical systems are in trouble and most people not working in that field don't relies how much trouble! , But that is a whole different subject.

rumblefish
05-18-2008, 21:31
If your shop is an SSI shop, then you don't have to be AOW to attend. As a matter of fact, the Stress and Rescue class can be included as one of the 4 specialties needed to get your SSI AOW rating. Like it has been mentioned before, you do need to be First Aid and CPR/AED certified first.

It's a good class. By allowing divers to take it at anytime, it highlights one of the philosophical differences between SSI and PADI. SSI believes that the best rescue is to avoid being in trouble and recommends that all divers take the class as soon as they can after OW.

The stress and rescue class, while it deals with how to rescue others also focuses on how you can avoid getting into trouble yourself by dealing with stress and avoiding potential dangers before they become big dangers.