PDA

View Full Version : Diving while carrying

aaronle06
05-10-2008, 00:48
im not too educated on diving while pregnant. But what are the risks if any for recreational diving?

texdiveguy
05-10-2008, 00:52
Just a place to start reading:
DAN Divers Alert Network : Pregnancy (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=103)
Diving and Pregnancy (http://www.scuba-doc.com/prgdiv.htm)

ChrisA
05-10-2008, 01:18
im not too educated on diving while pregnant. But what are the risks if any for recreational diving?

I think there are 100 reasons why they say "no".

Every dive caries with it the risk of getting bent. Some people are thinking now that you actually do get bent on every dive it's just that the effects are normally so small as to go un-noticed but ultrasound is detecting bubbles in almost all divers when they come up. unborn babies are likely more susceptible to DCI then adults because adults have well developed lungs and an filter out nitrogen

I think the developing fetus has a low tolerance to oxygen toxicity.

If YOU get DCI and are pregnant you treatment options are more limited

The is very little data on the effects of diving in even children under 16 let alone unborn babies. It is rather unethical to experiment on kids so there will always be a lack of data

DAN Divers Alert Network : Pregnancy (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=103)

comet24
05-10-2008, 03:14
The risks are not really know because there is no way to know without real world test and that's not a good option.

I think the above post really points to why you shouldn't do it.

Crimediver
05-10-2008, 06:38
Any studies about the dangers of getting pregnant while diving?

DOWNDEEP73
05-10-2008, 07:00

There is a danger of entanglement! It might increase drag! May consume too much air! The man is jeopardy of falling asleep when finished!

aaronle06
05-11-2008, 02:33

I think there are 100 reasons why they say "no".

Every dive caries with it the risk of getting bent. Some people are thinking now that you actually do get bent on every dive it's just that the effects are normally so small as to go un-noticed but ultrasound is detecting bubbles in almost all divers when they come up. unborn babies are likely more susceptible to DCI then adults because adults have well developed lungs and an filter out nitrogen

I think the developing fetus has a low tolerance to oxygen toxicity.

If YOU get DCI and are pregnant you treatment options are more limited

The is very little data on the effects of diving in even children under 16 let alone unborn babies. It is rather unethical to experiment on kids so there will always be a lack of data

The risks are not really know because there is no way to know without real world test and that's not a good option.

I think the above post really points to why you shouldn't do it.

not to bring this point up from the 40s, but when the scientist in the Nazi work/death camps tons of experiments were done that by standards of then and today are unethical to great extent. Going on with that notion, the information that was received from those test were used to send our astronauts to the moon and beyond as far as things in pressure. Aside from incidents like that, I don't count on seeing any testing on children under 16 this extensive for a while...or at least in this century.

RikRaeder
05-11-2008, 03:21
I couldn't tell you a thing about the physiology involved, but as others have said; the risks are unknown. Are you certified yet? I believe it was mentioned in the OW training material not to dive while pregnant. Obviously the risk is a dead or serious f'd up baby.

aaronle06
05-11-2008, 03:36
I couldn't tell you a thing about the physiology involved, but as others have said; the risks are unknown. Are you certified yet? I believe it was mentioned in the OW training material not to dive while pregnant. Obviously the risk is a dead or serious f'd up baby.

i am actually recently certified. i got my DVD late and skipped the last couple of chapters in the book. Im sure it was in the DVD, but all I could remember was the effects menstrual cycles have on divers. Im not planning on being pregnant anytime soon, so I didn't pay close attention

RikRaeder
05-11-2008, 04:32
Congrats on your cert, and may you have many years of enjoyable diving ahead.

Splitlip
05-11-2008, 06:58
obrules15 is a an ob-gyn and on the board. Maybe a pm to her...

aaronle06
05-12-2008, 02:40
obrules15 is a an ob-gyn and on the board. Maybe a pm to her...

thanks for the info!

Damselfish
05-12-2008, 08:49
if you skipped the last few chapters in the book and think you might have missed things on the DVD, you might want to go back and do those.

DivingCRNA
05-12-2008, 10:32
I thought this thread was about carrying FIREARMS while diving.

I guess THAT was incorrect...

jj1987
05-12-2008, 11:00

That's what I thought at first too :smilie39:

medic001918
05-12-2008, 12:07
Everything my wife and I have read advise strongly against diving while pregnant, in fact some reading says not to dive while trying to get pregnant due to the time where you're pregnant and don't know it yet.

Some of the reasons are that we don't know how pressures effect an unborn fetus. Granted it's "water in water," but the tiny vasculature of an unborn baby could make it more susceptible to DCI and embolism. As adults, we can tolerate small variances far better than an unborn baby or even an infant.

There haven't really been much for studies done on this subject. I would think it's difficult to find people willing to be test subjects for it at the potential of such a high price.

Here's a link to a past discussion of this same subject: http://forum.scubatoys.com/womens-issues/9249-anyone-ever-dive-pregnant.html

Shane

divingmedic
06-07-2008, 10:19

There is a danger of entanglement! It might increase drag! May consume too much air! The man is jeopardy of falling asleep when finished!
Also makes it really hard to light up right afterwards also.:smilie39:

comet24
06-07-2008, 10:28

Thought the same thing when I first read it.

plot
06-07-2008, 11:32
nitrogen buildup in a fetus's tiny veins would be a very very bad thing...

diver-wife
06-16-2008, 19:27
why risk it? An unborn child is more at risk for all kinds of issues, I assume there are no solid studies, but who in their right mind would sign up for one, and no investigational board would ever OK it. SImple answer, don't do it

divingyogini
06-17-2008, 14:23
I told my story in the linked thread, but pregnancy does change your mental focus as well, which is not to be dismissed when it comes to diving.

azdiver
07-01-2008, 19:51

At least you don't have to worry about who will sleep over the wet spot!! :smiley36:

NeurosurgeryNP
09-01-2008, 18:26
Three words - Don't Do It!!!!! We don't even drink alcohol while we are pregnant (most of us, anyway). Why take the chance of getting bent and have it effect the baby? Just like the nitrogen bubbles float around in our little blood stream, the bubbles go through the umbilical cord and start to float around in their bodies - however, they don't breathe air yet, and there is no way to help get rid of the nitrogen.

BlowingBubbles
09-05-2008, 11:26

At least you don't have to worry about who will sleep over the wet spot!! :smiley36:

Not to mention the impossibility of a safety stop! (since we're on the subject of pregnancy)

freeski4ever
09-05-2008, 20:26

Not to mention the impossibility of a safety stop! (since we're on the subject of pregnancy)

I think there's a website out there with pictures of a couple doing this exact thing.... or so i've heard.

aperkins
10-15-2008, 09:23
It's just not worth it. In the long run the 9 months that you are pregnant is nothing compared to a lifetime of availability to dive so why not just wait til after the baby?:smiley31:

cutter77
11-02-2008, 01:00
Bad idea....

Don Wray
11-02-2008, 06:28
Here's an article from DAN addressing the issue:
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=9

James1010
11-04-2008, 11:55
Do Not Go Diving If You Are Pregnant Bottom Line....

scubastud
11-20-2008, 04:50
Do not dive while carrying, handguns do not like saltwater.

BlowingBubbles
11-20-2008, 06:31
Do not dive while carrying, handguns do not like saltwater.

Such a man response about a woman's issue!! :smiley36:

teerlkay
11-20-2008, 14:02
I couldn't agree with you more!!