PDA

View Full Version : how to take a hint....

Murloc
05-10-2008, 12:41
Fed Ex pulled up to the house today and delivered a box, which caught me by surprise because only thing I was expecting was my ST purchase and that's coming by UPS....

checked the label and sure enough my name's on it...and a dive shop return address I visited couple of weeks ago?...funny, I don't recall buying anything from them

opened the box and found this
Armor Products Wheeled Bags (http://www.armorbags.com/wheeledbags.htm)
#93 duffle/backpack

wife walks in and says she saw me looking at it and thought I'd like something nice as a gift so she ordered it because she loves me.....

I remind you tomorrow is Mother's Day....guess those flowers I was getting for her isn't gonna cut it.....

DOWNDEEP73
05-10-2008, 12:47
Fed Ex pulled up to the house today and delivered a box, which caught me by surprise because only thing I was expecting was my ST purchase and that's coming by UPS....

checked the label and sure enough my name's on it...and a dive shop return address I visited couple of weeks ago?...funny, I don't recall buying anything from them

opened the box and found this
Armor Products Wheeled Bags (http://www.armorbags.com/wheeledbags.htm)
#93 duffle/backpack

wife walks in and says she saw me looking at it and thought I'd like something nice as a gift so she ordered it because she loves me.....

I remind you tomorrow is Mother's Day....guess those flowers I was getting for her isn't gonna cut it.....
Lucky Ba**ard!

Murloc
05-10-2008, 13:15
think you missed my point...not her taking a hint, but me....day before mothers day and I get a nice gift from her....I'm just glad I got it before and not after I gave her the flowers....now I need to sneak out of the house and go get something shiny

DOWNDEEP73
05-10-2008, 13:17
Lucky SOB!

DOWNDEEP73
05-10-2008, 13:22
No really......You better get something nice! Or she will be packing up all your stuff in that bag!

Murloc
05-10-2008, 13:28
what makes it worse is the wetsuit I ordered from ST is due to arrive Tues....and she doesn't know I ordered it

Beaucoupfishies
05-10-2008, 13:41
Moderators, get ready to move this thread to the Tragedies section because Murloc will be drowning in guilt soon if he can't find something nice to buy! :smiley36:

OilfieldTrash
05-10-2008, 13:54
...now I need to sneak out of the house and go get something shiny

New tanks are shiny

BSea
05-10-2008, 13:55
All you guys that think his wife did him a favor, just don't know many tricks of the trade. She had it delivered Fed-X just before mothers day. Do you think that was a coincidence?:smiley5:

Now I've never understood wives thinking husbands should buy them gifts on mother's day. I don't recall many gifts on father's day from my wife. Now she did buy me shirts & things like that when the kids were little, but not since then. Usually I buy a piece of gear, and she says "Happy Fathers' Day". In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Murloc's wife doesn't say the same thing about his Tuesday delivery.

elijahb
05-10-2008, 15:27
Your lucky

Crimediver
05-10-2008, 16:05
On Father's Day about 5 years ago I went diving around a bridge at a river. I saw an old blackened womens ring lying on the bottom. It looked like a piece of costume jewelry. It had to have been in the river a long time. I slid it onto a finger so it would not get lost. As I pulled myself along the sandy bottom the ring began to get polished up a bit and started to shine up some. I thought maybe the ring might be worth a few bucks, maybe. I thought I might be able to sell it for enough to get a new dive mask or other piece of dive gear.

On the ride back from diving the old lady called me on my cell and wanted to know when I would be home as she wanted to throw some steaks on the grill for my Father's day dinner. She wanted to have them about ready when I got there. She then said those dreaded words "I got you something expensive for Father's Day." Well, I had gotten her a Ronco Vegamatic or something like it for Mother's Day so I was in a bind.
I asked what it was and she told me it was a surprise. I told her to "Surprise me now". She told me she had bought me a MIG welder. I knew I was really in trouble as it cost a helluva lot more than her Vegamatic.

As soon as I got home I tossed the ring into the ultrasonic cleaner and went into the kitchen to grab a beer. The old lady told me how she had gotten me a welder while she was using the Ronco Vegamatic to make the salad. The pressure had built up so bad that I blurted out "I know, that's why I stopped at a jeweler's and bought you a ring. "

When I went and retrieved the now sparkling ring I found it to be an antique ring with 9 diamonds and seven saphires in a platinum setting. With a sick feeling I handed it to her. I could have bought a new mask plus a scooter and regs by selling the ring. She now sports around with it on her finger and all I got was a lousy welder...

DollFin
05-10-2008, 16:09
When I went and retrieved the now sparkling ring I found it to be an antique ring with 9 diamonds and seven saphires in a platinum setting. With a sick feeling I handed it to her. I could have bought a new mask plus a scooter and regs by selling the ring. She now sports around with it on her finger and all I got was a lousy welder...

Would I have to turn in my "chick card" I I say that I would have hawked the ring to buy some dive gear?? LOL!!!

mm_dm
05-10-2008, 16:18
On Father's Day about 5 years ago I went diving around a bridge at a river. I saw an old blackened womens ring lying on the bottom. It looked like a piece of costume jewelry. It had to have been in the river a long time. I slid it onto a finger so it would not get lost. As I pulled myself along the sandy bottom the ring began to get polished up a bit and started to shine up some. I thought maybe the ring might be worth a few bucks, maybe. I thought I might be able to sell it for enough to get a new dive mask or other piece of dive gear.

On the ride back from diving the old lady called me on my cell and wanted to know when I would be home as she wanted to throw some steaks on the grill for my Father's day dinner. She wanted to have them about ready when I got there. She then said those dreaded words "I got you something expensive for Father's Day." Well, I had gotten her a Ronco Vegamatic or something like it for Mother's Day so I was in a bind.
I asked what it was and she told me it was a surprise. I told her to "Surprise me now". She told me she had bought me a MIG welder. I knew I was really in trouble as it cost a helluva lot more than her Vegamatic.

As soon as I got home I tossed the ring into the ultrasonic cleaner and went into the kitchen to grab a beer. The old lady told me how she had gotten me a welder while she was using the Ronco Vegamatic to make the salad. The pressure had built up so bad that I blurted out "I know, that's why I stopped at a jeweler's and bought you a ring. "

Did you ever play quarterback? That was some nifty scrambling against a serious pass rush, brother!

Crimediver
05-10-2008, 16:29
Yeah, I got lucky with that one cause the only thing else I found on the dive was a pair of dentures. Don't think that would have gone over as well...

Daved
05-10-2008, 19:55
Hey--I lost my dentures--what site?

Murloc
05-10-2008, 20:11
update: threat level downgraded to manageable levels....

found a good deal on a pair of earings so I should be safe...I'll know for sure come Tues when she finds out about the wetsuit

Black-Gorrilla
05-11-2008, 01:03
Well, i just tell my mother im a great gift and then i'm gonna end up cooking.
i know she already told me "i want you to sleep in... i'll wake you up at around 11 so you can make pie dough (for a chicken pie) and Bread Pudding (1 desert) and mille fuile (desert #2... at least a 2 hour project from start to finish...)
so yeah... tomorrow morning will go something like this...."happy mothers day (kiss)... now im gonna go cook."

Crimediver
05-11-2008, 08:15
Hey--I lost my dentures--what site?

The historic James River in VA. If they fit I will trade them to you for a new mask, scooter and regs.:smiley20:

divingmedic
05-14-2008, 15:12

Man that should have at least been worth a little "sumpin-sumpin" later that night.:smiley36:

ScubaToys Larry
05-14-2008, 16:14

What! She didn't buy from us!!! :smiley13: If you need the number to a good divorce attorney, I can help you out... :smiley36:

Murloc
05-14-2008, 16:48

What! She didn't buy from us!!! :smiley13: If you need the number to a good divorce attorney, I can help you out... :smiley36:

the rule is she can buy gift certificates from you guys but I'm the only one who actually buys the gear. knowing her sense of humor (or maliciousness) she'd buy me a pink BC or something....

Ohio_diver16
05-14-2008, 18:26
I concur, you are a lucky SOB. But after the phone conversation I just had with my significant(?) other... There's alterior motives!

CFDAlden
05-15-2008, 00:47
Hell, I got the wife a dive computer for Mother's day. I'm hoping for something of that caliber. A nice dry suit, perhaps? :D

longtailbda
06-02-2008, 16:49
I understand how you feel one of my other expensive hobbies is target shooting last year the wife took me out (kicking and screaming) christmas shopping stopped in local shop to look for some friends gifts and to pick-up the rifle she ordered for me.
Maybe this year she'll force me to go to lds travel area.