PDA

View Full Version : Dive Conditions????

snagel
05-11-2008, 10:58
Trying to think about putting together some dive trips, but with all the recent rain and such I don't want to drive hours to find total muck out conditions. Don't have anything specific in mind, but would like updates on the various dive conditions in southern missouri and norther arkansas.

Table Rock
Bull Shoals
Oronago
Mermet
Dive Stop
Beaver
Norfork
Anything Else I haven't thought of.

If you have dove any of these places recently, please chim in.

Thanks,

S. Nagel

coyote
05-11-2008, 12:17
Bull Shoals

I did a houseboat trip on Bulls Shoals Lake the 2nd to 5th of May. Im not sure what the official water level is, but at 36 feet down I was swimming above pick nick tables and a boat dock. Id guess the water is up about 40 feet.
Vis was around 10 - 15 in the first 50 feet of water. Anything deeper and it was lights out. I needed a light to read my gauges at 60. It might clear up deeper down, but I wasnt diving with the right folks to check things out better (OW students). Temps were between 56 and 53.

A good time, but all of my favorite spots are a tad too deep now.. :smiley6:

I'll be heading back down the 23rd - 26th of May, hopefully the vis will improve a bit.

plot
05-11-2008, 14:02
Beaver - I didn't dive it, but I know someone who has.

from what i've heard, vis was about 4-5 feet at beaver 2 weeks ago. guy that told me is an instructor at my LDS that's been going down there at least once a month in the summer since the late 80s, early 90s... worst he's ever seen it... and that's on the boat hitting the bluffs, foundations, etc.

I don't know if you've ever been to lost bridge marina, but the lake is up so high that the steps leading down to it are completely underwater!

julz
05-11-2008, 19:37
i haven't been to mermet this year but website says water is about 45 degres at 50' with 15-30 foot vis below 30'. i'm hoping to go next sunday.

navyhmc
05-11-2008, 22:22
Oronogo is about 7'-10' above the 'cline and 10'-12' below the 'cline.

There are some serious slit-outs in the deeper areas.

Water level is still some 10' above normal pool: The 3 gear tables are in 2 1/2' of water.

PepeDiver
05-13-2008, 14:01
10 more days and i can give you 3 days worth of dive reports for TR!

cummings66
05-13-2008, 18:52
I've been thinking about it, but just haven't quite made up my mind to spend the money for 5 feet of vis at TR or Beaver. I'm still hoping to hear back that it's better now before I go.

Dark Wolf
05-13-2008, 20:23
navyhmc is dead on about Oronogo. Stockton was about 10' last Friday, but with the extra rain that we have had I am sure that it has dropped. Stockton was about 10-15' high when we were there, and I was amazed that we got 10' of vis.

DW

Tom A
05-13-2008, 20:51
what was the temp at stockton

Dark Wolf
05-13-2008, 21:03
56 degree's at 50 ft.

DW

PepeDiver
05-13-2008, 21:33
I've been thinking about it, but just haven't quite made up my mind to spend the money for 5 feet of vis at TR or Beaver. I'm still hoping to hear back that it's better now before I go.

i figure since my mom and her husband (my dive buddy) are financing most of the trip to TR I can get excited about it! If I were paying for it myself I think I'd wait till I heard something promising about the conditions.

We're making our first dives on that Friday. I'll try to get a report on here that evening in case anyone is contemplating coming down for the long weekend.

mm2002
05-14-2008, 08:17

I heard they're not letting anyone dive around the dam right now. They say there's a lot of debris in the water that's washed in from the upper areas of the lake. Supposedly lots of huge trees, parts of boat docks, and other stuff submerged in the area. There is supposedly some decent diving elsewhere on the lake though. Temp is around 73, and vis is (supposedly) 10ft + or -.
Definitely call one of the dive shops for some tips.

mm2002
05-14-2008, 08:21
Bull Shoals

I did a houseboat trip on Bulls Shoals Lake the 2nd to 5th of May. Im not sure what the official water level is, but at 36 feet down I was swimming above pick nick tables and a boat dock. Id guess the water is up about 40 feet.
Vis was around 10 - 15 in the first 50 feet of water. Anything deeper and it was lights out. I needed a light to read my gauges at 60. It might clear up deeper down, but I wasnt diving with the right folks to check things out better (OW students). Temps were between 56 and 53.

A good time, but all of my favorite spots are a tad too deep now.. :smiley6:

I'll be heading back down the 23rd - 26th of May, hopefully the vis will improve a bit.

I'd say you're about right guessing the water level to be about 40 ft high. I took these pics of Powersite dam last night. To put things in perspective, the spillway is usually about 40 ft or so above Bull Shoals. The road is Y hwy, and is at LEAST 40 ft under water at the lowest point.

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/powersite/pic1.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/powersite/pic2.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/powersite/pic3.jpg

PepeDiver
05-14-2008, 09:20

I heard they're not letting anyone dive around the dam right now. They say there's a lot of debris in the water that's washed in from the upper areas of the lake. Supposedly lots of huge trees, parts of boat docks, and other stuff submerged in the area. There is supposedly some decent diving elsewhere on the lake though. Temp is around 73, and vis is (supposedly) 10ft + or -.

of course they wouldn't be letting anyone dive there...thats half of my dive plans! Oh well....I needed to call scuba sports anyways!

mm2002
05-14-2008, 09:58

of course they wouldn't be letting anyone dive there...thats half of my dive plans! Oh well....I needed to call scuba sports anyways!

I'm going to be diving on TR somewhere this weekend, just don't know where yet. It's a big lake! :smiley2:

PepeDiver
05-14-2008, 14:39
we're staying at the Valley View "resort". Just a collection of fairly inexpensive cabins really. But we'll probably dive off the shore there some. Guess I need to track down some other shore dive spots if I can't count on Dewey.

mm2002
05-14-2008, 16:25
Well, now I feel like an idiot. I'll never listen to "local" rumors again!
I went to the shop to get my tanks filled today, and they have been diving Dewey for a few days now. So, I went down to Dewey to check it out for myself, and it's VERY diveable! The vis looks very good, and according to the folks that have been diving it, it's 10+ right now. That's not bad for TR. They said it gets pretty crappy below the cline at about 30 ft, but other than that it looks pretty promising. You basically go in on the cement steps, and dive them on down to the rock ledges. We're gonna dive it this weekend, so I'll post a report.

snagel
05-14-2008, 17:53
mm2002....

You diving Dewey Saturday? If so, any idea of time? If I can get away, I'd love to join you if you don't mind? But, I have to see what my wife has planned for this weekend, first.

S. Nagel

mm2002
05-14-2008, 20:43
We're going to camping on TR all weekend, and will either plan on Diving at Dewey Saturday afternoon, or Sunday afternoon. We haven't decided yet. I'll PM ya my cel #, and you can get in touch with me. I think it would be a fun little dive!

navyhmc
05-14-2008, 23:37
mm2002

Impressive picts. And is that a future dive buddy in the last shot?

mm2002
05-15-2008, 18:02
mm2002

Impressive picts. And is that a future dive buddy in the last shot?

Yep! That's my 3 yr old. Next to my 7 yr old, she's the best friend I have in the whole wide world! :smiley20:

navyhmc
05-15-2008, 18:26
You sir, are a rich man!

mm2002
05-15-2008, 18:32
You sir, are a rich man!

I'll have to agree with that! You don't need money to be rich. :smiley20:

Oh...and don't call me sir......I'm not sure what that means.......:smiley2:

Soonerwink
05-15-2008, 18:38
Has anyone ever dived Lake Ouachita? Is there any good shore diving there? I know it is a little farther east but maybe the conditions are better there. I am going to hit Beaver this weekend, hoping the condiions have improved. I plan on diving the bluffs on Sat. and Sun.

plot
05-26-2008, 21:40
Just got back from beaver.

Vis is pretty much 2-3 feet anywhere you go. Below 50 feet or so it's pitch black, but you can see to the end of your light at least.

It rained all weekend and keeps raining, vis isn't gonna get better anytime soon. Guy at the marina told me the lake levels probably won't start to drop until September or so, and if it keeps raining like it did this weekend, than probably not until much later in the year.

I'd imagine Table Rock and Bull Shoals are even worse since they're on down the stream from Beaver.

Gonna be a crappy year of diving for the area lakes this year it seems. :(

mm2002
05-27-2008, 06:45
Just got back from beaver.

Vis is pretty much 2-3 feet anywhere you go. Below 50 feet or so it's pitch black, but you can see to the end of your light at least.

It rained all weekend and keeps raining, vis isn't gonna get better anytime soon. Guy at the marina told me the lake levels probably won't start to drop until September or so, and if it keeps raining like it did this weekend, than probably not until much later in the year.

I'd imagine Table Rock and Bull Shoals are even worse since they're on down the stream from Beaver.

Gonna be a crappy year of diving for the area lakes this year it seems. :(

That's strange. Last I heard, Beaver was a little better than TR. Guess not. At least on TR there's some decent diving to 30 ft or so, then it gets pretty crappy. Above 30 ft, though, we're talking 10-15 ft vis in some areas.

PepeDiver
05-27-2008, 10:02
got home yesterday from a weekend at TR. Dove dewey short Friday morning with decent vis, 6-8'. Lesson learned there...don't leave your weights at the cabin on the other side of the lake. I couldn't keep my happy butt under without grabbing and holding large rocks! The rest of the weekend we dove off of the dock at our cabin. 15' vis and durn cold water at 50'!!! I was not enjoying my 3/2 suit with the 3mil hooded vest under. The water was very comfy at about 20'. Did some night diving around there...lots of crawfish...though not enough to make a meal. I do have to go buy a new wetsuit now though. I managed to rip the leg of mine just above the knee. All in all a pretty good weekend. Managed to get 8 dives in between the storms.

bottomdweller
05-27-2008, 15:33
I will be diving Beaver on June 7th & maybe the 8th also.
Was wondering what the water temps are like? Should I take my 4/3mm full body wetsuit or will I need my farmer john 5mm? We will be diving Helicopter cove & the bus for sure.

coyote
05-27-2008, 16:10
Just got back yesterday from Bull Shoals. Not much has changed in three weeks. Water temp is 63 on the suface, 56 below the thermocline. Vis is nasty (5’-6’) in less then 40’ of water. I’d guess it’s all the decaying plant matter.
Things cleared up pretty well around 70’. With some lights we were getting about 20’ vis in some places. Without the lights it’s lights out and pitch black at 100’.
Just an observation, but it seemed like the dive sites closer to the main channel were the clearest. Diving right next to the bluffs seemed to work best.
A lot of the more remote spots had lousy vis all the way to the bottom.

We had to dive between the storms but that what a surface interval is for anyway.
:smiley20:

PepeDiver
05-27-2008, 16:12
don't know about Beaver but TR was 65 at the surface. temp dropped pretty good around 30' to the mid 50s-ish range. The guy I was diving with said I must not have any blood in me. We both wore the same levels of protection and he was freezing at 50' while I was pretty comfy.

mm2002
05-27-2008, 16:21
don't know about Beaver but TR was 65 at the surface. temp dropped pretty good around 30' to the mid 50s-ish range. The guy I was diving with said I must not have any blood in me. We both wore the same levels of protection and he was freezing at 50' while I was pretty comfy.

Right now, the thermocline doesn't seem like as drastic of a temp change to me. Usually, it's like walking into a refrigerator. I guess that's because the surface temps aren't real warm yet, plus my computer wasn't working so I didn't get an actual temp reading. I honestly never felt it.
Glad you guys had some good dives. It's a good thing that we can actually dive right now, even with the lakes being all screwed up. It could be worse I suppose.

cummings66
05-27-2008, 16:56
So it's good to hear it's not that bad now. I may make a trip down there sooner rather than later. I'm wanting to dive someplace other than a quarry, they just get so danged boring.

mm2002
05-27-2008, 17:16
So it's good to hear it's not that bad now. I may make a trip down there sooner rather than later. I'm wanting to dive someplace other than a quarry, they just get so danged boring.

I can't do your deep dives with you, but if you need a buddy for 50 ft or less, I can usually arrange a sitter if I have a little notice. Right now, I don't know how deep you have to go before the vis gets better, but I'm thinking it's probably deeper than I dive at this point in time. It isn't bad at all down to 30.

Walt725
05-27-2008, 21:09
Conditions at Beaver Monday were:
Vis - 5ft from the surface to about 30' and then maybe I could call it 10 but dark. We went down to about 40' and the temp was around 70 at the surface and in the upper 50's at 40'. No problem in a 2pc 5mm w/ hood and gloves of course. If the weather holds I think I'll head back over there on Friday or Saturday and see if the conditions have improved any.

cummings66
05-28-2008, 06:39
I can't do your deep dives with you, but if you need a buddy for 50 ft or less, I can usually arrange a sitter if I have a little notice.

I have my required deep dives in so now I don't need to dive deep. But, you know that in reality the 50 foot dive isn't that deep, or, I've seen that area when it used to be pretty shallow. That means, the first 40 or so feet are completely new territory that I've never seen before.

I'm trying to get a buddy certified before I head down there, my normal one is back helping with classes now that diving season has started. With gas prices being what they are sharing rides makes more sense now. I do intend on diving there fairly soon and any dive you feel like doing is fine with me. Shallow or within the OW limits is fun, in fact, honestly the best dive I've ever done was about 17 feet deep there at the dam.

mm2002
05-28-2008, 10:56
I can't do your deep dives with you, but if you need a buddy for 50 ft or less, I can usually arrange a sitter if I have a little notice.

I have my required deep dives in so now I don't need to dive deep. But, you know that in reality the 50 foot dive isn't that deep, or, I've seen that area when it used to be pretty shallow. That means, the first 40 or so feet are completely new territory that I've never seen before.

I'm trying to get a buddy certified before I head down there, my normal one is back helping with classes now that diving season has started. With gas prices being what they are sharing rides makes more sense now. I do intend on diving there fairly soon and any dive you feel like doing is fine with me. Shallow or within the OW limits is fun, in fact, honestly the best dive I've ever done was about 17 feet deep there at the dam.

I know what you mean, as depth is relative. My personal "hard deck" is 50, but that's just because it's within my comfort zone at my level of experience. Honestly, right now, there isn't any vis below 30 anyway. I can have a great time in 30 ft or less, as long as there's something to do. At 15 to 20, the lighting and vis are usually good enough to have fun taking pics and just hanging out. I'm easy!