PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Tool Box

skdvr
08-05-2007, 15:01
I was just curious as to what you all keep in your scuba tool box. Do you just have a scuba tool, or do you have seperate wrenches, allen wrenches, and the like? I want to put together a tool box to keep with my gear but I do not want to carry more than necessary...

Thanks
Phil

medic001918
08-05-2007, 15:25
I don't have one yet...I have a couple of extra items that I keep with me such as mask straps and such. But I suppose it really is a good idea to get a scuba tool and keep it in the bag just in case. It certainly can't hurt, and in the grand scheme of scuba spending, it's not that expensive.

Shane

Buoyant1
08-05-2007, 15:48
I have the same thing, just some basic stuff...A good idea would be for people to post what's in their's, and why, then we can sort thorugh the madness and start our own! Good topic!

ScubaToys Larry
08-05-2007, 15:51
Make sure you have plenty of zip ties. (I actually keep some in my BC pocket as well, and have saved a few dives with them because I had them with me when a mouthpiece fell off, or an inflator end came off, or a fin strap broke.)

torrey
08-05-2007, 16:06
I've been wondering what people have in their save-a-dive kits as well. I've never really put together a kit per-se. So scuba tool, zip-ties, mask strap...I know you always want to have spare o-rings, so I'll mention that as well. What else should one have?

ScubaToys Larry
08-05-2007, 16:23
Obviously - O ring kit. Spare Mouthpiece. (Now I'm a nut - so I have a spare 1st stage) a few port plugs in different sizes (hp and LP) besides the ScubaTool, a little scissors of some kind (if not on the BC). I also have a tire inflator that fits my inflator hose, and an air blowey thingy for drying off my camera before opening it.

PlatypusMan
08-05-2007, 16:25
I was just curious as to what you all keep in your scuba tool box. Do you just have a scuba tool, or do you have seperate wrenches, allen wrenches, and the like? I want to put together a tool box to keep with my gear but I do not want to carry more than necessary...

Thanks
Phil

In another board, I was able to post the following:

There was a discussion recently about 'Save Dive' kits and the contents thereof.

This piqued the interest of the Platypus Research Organization Systems Technology Institute Taskforce Unified Texas Enterprise, and it was determined what the contents of the Ultimate Save-Dive Kit would consist of. Reproduced here are their findings.

The Ultimate Save-Dive Kit

Contents:

1 mask
1 fin strap
1 mask strap
10 extra O-rings of varying sizes
1 snorkel
1 extra set of weights-lead
1 extra set of weights--shot
1 O2 emergency bottle
1 emergency bottle Monopolova-w/shot glass
1 extra tank
1 extra regulator
1 dive repair technician for any field repairs (pack separate from Monopolova)
1 Air compressor to fill tanks as needed
1 extention cord to power compressor to fill air tanks as needed
1 portable generator to power compressor to fill air tanks as needed
1 emergency sausage
1 polish sausage
1 Swedish bikini model (pack with Monopolova)
1 Fuel for generator (kerosene)
1 Fuel for bikini model (Green paper with Hamiton, Grant and Jackson portraits)
1 something to keep technician going (Subway sandwiches)
1 hyperbaric chamber
1 bang stick
1 bang stick cover (personal)
1 Nitrox testing kit (used in conjunction with Nitrox tank)
1 pregnancy testing kit (used in conjunction with bikini model)
9 additional bang stick covers (personal)
1 Jimmy Buffet compiled Greatest Hit
1 Warren Buffet compiled portfolio (for incidental expenses)
1 Attorney to handle any legal interruptions (pack separate from everything, abandon after dive trip)

If they missed anything, please feel free to add...

Cichlid
08-05-2007, 17:52
...I also have a tire inflator that fits my inflator hose...

This may be a dumb question, but what for? I saw them for sale on the site, but are they to inflate your tires from your tank or do you use them for something else? Do you get the air let out of your tires that often Larry? You seem like a pretty good guy to me. :smiley2:

skdvr
08-05-2007, 18:00
I have a scuba tool right now and I would be curious to know what other sizes of wrenches or allen wrenches could come in handy just incase those are not included in the scuba tool that I have. I guess I could throw in a small adjustable wrench. I do have a kit started and actually came in handy a few weeks back, when I needed a fin strap, becuase mine broke. The kit I have just has everything thing that has been mentioned so far. Well except now I need another fin strap. I think I may just buy a set of spring straps for them and be done with it.I know that some people say to have a spare mask too, which I do not have but can see it coming in handy.

Phil

Buoyant1
08-05-2007, 19:02

Thanks
Phil

In another board, I was able to post the following:

There was a discussion recently about 'Save Dive' kits and the contents thereof.

This piqued the interest of the Platypus Research Organization Systems Technology Institute Taskforce Unified Texas Enterprise, and it was determined what the contents of the Ultimate Save-Dive Kit would consist of. Reproduced here are their findings.

The Ultimate Save-Dive Kit

Contents:

1 mask
1 fin strap
1 mask strap
10 extra O-rings of varying sizes
1 snorkel
1 extra set of weights-lead
1 extra set of weights--shot
1 O2 emergency bottle
1 emergency bottle Monopolova-w/shot glass
1 extra tank
1 extra regulator
1 dive repair technician for any field repairs (pack separate from Monopolova)
1 Air compressor to fill tanks as needed
1 extention cord to power compressor to fill air tanks as needed
1 portable generator to power compressor to fill air tanks as needed
1 emergency sausage
1 polish sausage
1 Swedish bikini model (pack with Monopolova)
1 Fuel for generator (kerosene)
1 Fuel for bikini model (Green paper with Hamiton, Grant and Jackson portraits)
1 something to keep technician going (Subway sandwiches)
1 hyperbaric chamber
1 bang stick
1 bang stick cover (personal)
1 Nitrox testing kit (used in conjunction with Nitrox tank)
1 pregnancy testing kit (used in conjunction with bikini model)
9 additional bang stick covers (personal)
1 Jimmy Buffet compiled Greatest Hit
1 Warren Buffet compiled portfolio (for incidental expenses)
1 Attorney to handle any legal interruptions (pack separate from everything, abandon after dive trip)

If they missed anything, please feel free to add...

Nice! What no Tequila? shame! The pregnancy kit is a definate if you are talking 'bout your dives at the local watering hole! "yeah babe, I was at 120' and narc'd out of my gourd and this friggin' Oceanic White Tip started buggin' me..I could have died!...so ya wanna go see my Nitrox card?":smiley20:

creggur
08-05-2007, 19:47
Right now our SAD kit includes,

Spare o-rings - various sizes
Spare mouthpiece
Spare Finstrap (Don't have the cool spring straps yet)
Spare mask strap
Port plugs
A couple of allen wrenches and a pair of channel locks (soon to be a one of Larry's SCUBA tools)
A few tie-straps (never know when those will come in handy)
- Being from the south I'm fighting the urge to include duct tape and WD-40... I feel like it should be there, I just can't reason why...

the gooch
08-05-2007, 20:53
"1-Polish Sausage" LOL, is that the original safety sausage.

Dive-aholic
08-05-2007, 22:35
Obviously - O ring kit. Spare Mouthpiece. (Now I'm a nut - so I have a spare 1st stage) a few port plugs in different sizes (hp and LP) besides the ScubaTool, a little scissors of some kind (if not on the BC). I also have a tire inflator that fits my inflator hose, and an air blowey thingy for drying off my camera before opening it.

Re: the bold - we already know that Larry...

My kit started out as an old mask box filled with some stuff. I now have a van with shelves!

O ring kit that I put together - about 500 o-rings.
spare mouthpieces
wrenches
zip ties
tire inflator
air blowey thingy
hoses
1st stages
2nd stages
tanks
webbing
d rings
cutting tools
cristolube
vip stickers
port plugs
screw drivers
allen wrenches
dive lights

I'm sure there's a lot more. I just can't think of it all right now.

BSea
08-05-2007, 22:52
Here's what I have.
O-rings of various sizes
allen wrenches.
cresent wrench
Screw driver - Regular & very small
Zip Ties
din to yoke converter
bolt snaps
rope for tying bolt snaps
matches
extra mask
port plugs
insert for convertable valve to change it from din to yoke.

Wolfie2012
08-05-2007, 23:12
Here's what I have:

O-rings
Scuba Tool
Pliers
needle nose pliers
allen wrench tool
wire cutter
zip ties (carry those around in my pocket on the dive too)
tire inflator
extra mouthpiece
extra inflator hose
1st stage port plugs
silicone grease
aquaseal
corn cob holder pokey thing (found it to be the easiest thing to clear the hardened end of the aquaseal tube)
DIN-to-yoke adapter
Tank Valve Yoke plugs
fin strap
mask strap
drysuit p-valve um, stuff

I probably have more stuff in the boxes that I'm just not thinking of off the top of my head. Ah well.

skdvr
08-06-2007, 07:02
Corn Cob Pokey thing. That is a new one, but a useful one...

BSea, Why the matches???

Phil

BSea
08-06-2007, 07:54
Corn Cob Pokey thing. That is a new one, but a useful one...

BSea, Why the matches???

Phil
I use them to burn the ends of the line I use to tie on bolt snaps. I need to get a lighter, but since I don't smoke the matches were all I had at the time, and I've never replaced them.

skdvr
08-06-2007, 08:40
I use them to burn the ends of the line I use to tie on bolt snaps. I need to get a lighter, but since I don't smoke the matches were all I had at the time, and I've never replaced them.

Good call, I guess that would be a good thing to keep on hand...

Does anyone have any specific sizes of wrenches or allen wrenches that they can post just to make sure that we can have what we need...

Phil

BSea
08-06-2007, 08:58
Does anyone have any specific sizes of wrenches or allen wrenches that they can post just to make sure that we can have what we need...

Phil
I just use a cresent wrench & a fold up set of allen wrenches. But I take this on trips and everywhere. I have a dry box just for my tools, but I don't have enough room for a set of wrenches, or even the most common ones. Plus, I have 2 cresent wrenches not 1.

Oh, 1 other thing I take is a brass pick for O-rings.

mike_s
08-06-2007, 09:25

This may be a dumb question, but what for? I saw them for sale on the site, but are they to inflate your tires from your tank or do you use them for something else? Do you get the air let out of your tires that often Larry? You seem like a pretty good guy to me. :smiley2:

I've actually used mine once when a tire was low. Good for filling intertubes too to float in :D

Other items I haven't seen others mention.

* Duct tape (fixes almost everything!)
* Liquid Band-aid (for backs of heels that are tender)
* service manual for regulator (easily downloadable & printable)
* 1st and 2nd stage service kits (from manufacturer)
* extra computer batteries and tool to remove cover.
* thread/needle. (ever had a wetsuit seam come unstitched on a trip? I have).
* "soft scrub" or other to really clean mask.
* sunscreen, in case you forget it in your day bag.
* fin buckles. Everyone take spare straps, but you need buckles too!
* paper/pen in ziploc bag. (in case of emergency to record info or other use).
* toliet paper in ziploc bag (again in case of 'emergency' if head is out!)
* band-aids in ziplock.

georoc01
08-06-2007, 13:09
For me, I would rather carry other types of protection to with the bikini model to avoid needing the pregnancy kit.

That said, My kit looks like creggur's. Adding zip ties would be very easy to to and I will remember that for the next trip.

BSea
08-06-2007, 13:15
Hmmm, I don't know why I don't take aqua seal. That will be corrected right now. It's the scuba divers duct tape.

thesmoothdome
08-06-2007, 13:27
Don't forget a basic first aid kit, pocket mask, emergency space blanket, vinigar, etc.

ReefHound
08-06-2007, 13:42
You people should be ashamed of yourselves. All those emergency kits and not one bottle opener?

It's good to know if I ever have a flat tire that 4 out of 5 divers will be able to help me out.

The Ultimate Kit is missing a spare dive boat.

My kit includes many of the items mentioned plus some cash for tips. I had to stiff a good DM once and didn't like the way I felt about it.

mike_s
08-06-2007, 14:13
You people should be ashamed of yourselves. All those emergency kits and not one bottle opener?

I thought about adding that to the list, but since I coverted over to DIN I don't need it anymore.

(At least I found something good for old YOKE assemblies...:smilie39:)

skdvr
08-06-2007, 14:14

* band-aids in ziplock.

There are some good ones there that I would not have thought about like the Thread/Needle, Soft Scurb, TP, Liquid band-aid. Good ideas....

Phil

mike_s
08-06-2007, 14:42

* band-aids in ziplock.

There are some good ones there that I would not have thought about like the Thread/Needle, Soft Scurb, TP, Liquid band-aid. Good ideas....

Phil

I had a wetsuit shortie that had a seam come undone on a liveaboard once. Luckily I had one of those tiny sewing kits in my shaving bag and was able to sew it back up.

Liquid Band-Aid is great on long dive trips or liveaboard where your heels get really tender/raw. You just paint the stuff on and let it dry and it adds another "layer" of skin on top.

Soft Scrub, or something similar, is great when you get that funky film on your mask on a trip. find a small sample bottle and then put it in a ziplock in case it leaks. Refill sample bottle as needed. If you can't find a sample bottle, then just any small squeeze/squirt bottle such as a hotel shampoo bottle and re-label.

Toliet Paper, well... self explanitory.

I agree with a lot of what the others said too... just didn't put them on my list as they had already mentioned them.

For Liveaboards, add a few extra items to that list:
* Ear plugs as boats/engines/anchor chains going up/down are noisy and so are people who snore.
* small flashlight for bunk. (If Peter Hughes boat, make sure it's waterproof and add a pony bottle & mask for bunk).
* Alligator clips to clip towels, wetsuits, swimsuits to side rails to dry. Alligator clips are much stronger than clothespins and will go over thick towels and wetsuits.
* milk crate or plastic bin to put under dive deck seat. For gloves, booties, lights, mask, etc to keep them off the deck and being stepped on between dives.
* small otter box for above bin to put sunglasses in or anything else to keep from getting wet at dive deck.
* large insulated cup with lid. For drinks & to differentiate your from all the other cups that look alike.
* Medical: lip balm to protect lips from sun & saltwater exposure, hydrocortizone cream for saltwater rash, etc. something for jellyfish sting.

Hope that helps.

CompuDude
08-06-2007, 15:30

* band-aids in ziplock.

Phil
Rather than thread, a good strong substitute for emergency wetsuit repairs is dental floss. Just make sure your needle is big enough and strong enough to get the floss through the eye, and beefy enough you can jam it through thick neoprene.

My kit always has:

Couple of o-ring kits (viton and regular)
O-Ring pick (ok, not yet... but I REALLY need one)
Adjustable crescent wrench
Needlenose pliers
TWO: wrenchs (sometimes you need to hold one side while torquing the other)
allen key set: My Scubatool doesn't have an allen key that fits my DIN/Yoke inserts. :(
Scubatool
Leatherman-style multi-tool
Several Yoke inserts for my convertible DIN valves.
Port plugs, both HP and LP
A DIN pressure checker (with a yoke adapter)
5' of several widths of Bungee
electrical tape and Rescue tape
Convertible screwdriver (small/big/standard/philips)
Small screwdriver
A couple of SS tri-glides
A couple of D-rings
Several sizes of bolt snap
A couple different sizes of Zip tie (5-10 of each)
Lighter
10' of Cave Line
AquaSeal (not that it's much use for day trips, since it won't cure fast enough to do much good)
Spare mask strap (for others, really, since my neoprene strap isn't in danger of breaking, and I have a spare mask if so)

Note: It's good to buy as many of these tools as you can a West Marine-type store (for boating) because you're more likely to get corrosion-resistant SS in tools there than Home Depot.

I should add a small pair of scissors, but my trauma shears (in my DS pocket) should handle most needs. I also need to take my own advice and throw in the floss and a good needle... I've seen it work, and it's great, but ... my kit overfloweth! I need a bigger dry box for it as it is!

My medical supplies are separate, but include a pocket mask, basic first aid kit, sunscreen and a water bottle filled with "ear beer" (handy both for ears and for jellyfish stings). I want to add a DAN o2 kit one of these days, but haven't been able to justify the money yet.

thesmoothdome
08-06-2007, 15:43
[QUOTE=mike_s;18192
* small flashlight for bunk. (If Peter Hughes boat, make sure it's waterproof and add a pony bottle & mask for bunk).
Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

Sigh. I was hoping that there wouldn't be need to start bashing what was a terrible accident over 5 years ago, but in the realm of reality, I guess it's something the Dancer fleet is always going to have to live with.

I had the pleasure to sail not only on the Sun Dancer II, which replaced the Wave Dancer down in Belize, but with Peter Hughes himself. A nicer man there is not. My wife and I had booked the cheapest stateroom on the boat and Peter suggested switching rooms with him so we could have a nice picture window view instead of the portholes you couldn't see out of. We were also the last to board the boat, and as a result, my wife and I had to set up gear on the opposite sides of the boat. Peter ended up switching spots with me so I could be closer to my wife.

I won't get into the fabulous service and great diving that I experienced on the SD II. Suffice it to say, that I'm already booked on the Star Dancer for next year.

Splitlip
08-06-2007, 17:41
My save a dive:
spare necklace
electical tape
mini firsta aid kit
swiss army knife
magnifyer glasses
butane lighter
assorted zip ties
din and port plugs
o-rings
crystalube
mouth piece
DR clipper for 2" webbing
small needle nose pliers
small common pliers
dental pick
scuba tool w/ adjustable wrench
mask strap
laminated computer crib sheet
bolt snaps and quick links
ss bolts, nuts and washers
edit shock cord too spare mask and computer in the dive bag

nferra2
08-06-2007, 19:35
I hope I end up going diving with some of you all with those great diving kits. It seems like everyone has something that I never thought of listed in their kit. I guess I better start on mine, I think Ill start with some sunscreen and chapstick (since I know I have those from this weekend). Now I just need a good box to put them in.

skdvr
08-06-2007, 20:55
why a pocket mask in the first aid kit? Not being a smartass, I just do not know....

Phil

thesmoothdome
08-06-2007, 21:03
why a pocket mask in the first aid kit? Not being a smartass, I just do not know....

Phil

No worries. It's sort of a misnomer. A pocket mask is used for mouth to mouth resuscitation. It provides a seal over the nose and mouth and allows the rescuer to do without having to actually go directly mouth to mouth.

ReefHound
08-06-2007, 21:03
A pocket mask is what you use to give CPR, more hygienic than placing your mouth over theirs and works better in water rescue situations.

Here's an example (http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Gear-Direct-Pocket-mask/dp/B0001ZVQZW).

skdvr
08-06-2007, 21:31
No worries. It's sort of a misnomer. A pocket mask is used for mouth to mouth resuscitation. It provides a seal over the nose and mouth and allows the rescuer to do without having to actually go directly mouth to mouth.

OK, that is what I thought, but the way it sounded to me was a dust mask. Thanks for clearing that up...

Phil

mike_s
08-06-2007, 21:33

Phil

THe others explained it already, but another benefit of it is that often someone that needs CPR from a water accident often regurgitates stomach contents or water swallowed.

without getting into details, it can be kinda nasty.

the pocket mask allow some "seperation" between those bodily fluids and the rescuer.

hmmm.... I think I'll add some disposable gloves to my kit now.

Dive-aholic
08-06-2007, 23:25

Phil

I have an adjustable wrench that works for various sizes. I also have an allen wrench set. Depending on the regs, I need a couple of different sizes.

That's in my primary kit! :D

Liv7301
08-07-2007, 00:42
Our kit has most of the components you have all mentioned as far as basic tools, spare items, handy things to have, etc.

Our kit also doubles as a very basic first aid kit with antibiotic ointment, band-aids, gauze bandages, and a variety of medications: ibuprofen, alieve, sudafed, benadryl, tums, and my epi-pen because I have a bee/wasp reaction.

Definitely want to add a universal barrier for CPR and gloves.

mike_s
08-07-2007, 08:39
I just wonder how often those CPR masks are actually used.

I mean.... here's the scenario. Guy collaspes on the street or on the dive boat. you run over. You check his pulse and breathing. NO PULSE, HE's NOT BREATHING.

You think "Quick, let me run and find my CPR mask before I do anything else...."

Not to say the things are bad to have. Maybe they provide a much better seal on the face. It's just that I don't think you'll always have one anywhere close. I've never seen anyone ask "Is that a CPR Mask in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

The rubber gloves I can see much more use for. If you've got to doctor a cut foot or limb on the dive boat, you typically have enough time to grab those as you're grabbing the first aid kit.

torrey
08-07-2007, 09:31
I mean.... here's the scenario. Guy collaspes on the street or on the dive boat. you run over. You check his pulse and breathing. NO PULSE, HE's NOT BREATHING.

You think "Quick, let me run and find my CPR mask before I do anything else...."

If you're on a boat, then it's going to be close unless you're on something more like a live-aboard. My mom used to be an EMT and she always kept one in the car in case she ever came up on an accident scene.

ReefHound
08-07-2007, 09:35
Maybe whether you take the time to get the pocket mask out of your kit depends on how bloody and foamy his mouth is.

Phestr
08-07-2007, 09:55
Okay, so I thought I was good with an adjustable wrench, some o-rings and a set of hex keys. Now I think I'm gonna have to get a bigger box! Thanx for all the great ideas, guys.

mike_s
08-07-2007, 09:55
If you're on a boat, then it's going to be close unless you're on something more like a live-aboard. My mom used to be an EMT and she always kept one in the car in case she ever came up on an accident scene.

I think if you're on a boat is the most likely situation where you'll see one used because of the smaller space on a boat to go to get one. On land unless one is in a first aid kit on a wall somwhere or unless it by someone who's a medic and has one in their emergency bag, I don't think you'd see them used much.

I still don't think they are bad to have. The newer ones have an o2 inlet on them also, which is an added feature.

Maybe whether you take the time to get the pocket mask out of your kit depends on how bloody and foamy his mouth is.

True... I've only pulled one unconcious body out of the ocean. Though she was unconcious, luckily she was sorta breathing and had a pulse. Which was amazing considering she was found face down.

after we got her in, she imediately threw up vomit and seawater all over her face. Like I said, luckily she was breathing. We still had to roll her on her side and clear her airway after she vomitted so she didn't choke on it. But I was glad we didn't have to give her mouth-to-mouth with vomit all over her face. (Hence the reference to the CPR Pocket Mask).

Note: She wasn't diving. this was on the beach. Alcohol and drugs were a factor I think to her passing out. She apparently went for a swim while highly intoxicated and was about 30 yards offshore. If we hadn't seen her, she'd prob been dead.

Note to Moderator: Feel free to break the CPR mask discussion into another thread if needed since it's gotten off topic of the original thread.

Dive-aholic
08-07-2007, 23:11
I just wonder how often those CPR masks are actually used.

Not to say the things are bad to have. Maybe they provide a much better seal on the face. It's just that I don't think you'll always have one anywhere close. I've never seen anyone ask "Is that a CPR Mask in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

The rubber gloves I can see much more use for. If you've got to doctor a cut foot or limb on the dive boat, you typically have enough time to grab those as you're grabbing the first aid kit.

I carry one in my med kit and both my vehicles. And believe me, I'll be using it. I've done CPR enough times to know what happens and I don't want my mouth anywhere near that!

Krakenn
08-07-2007, 23:38
I have one of those Scuba Dive tool sets and while other divers have chipped me on having it. They seem to be quick to ask for a lend when something goes wrong.

In addition to the tools I also put in cable ties small can of WD40 and spar battery for the computer,some silicon grease and spare orings.

I have got a couple of the Scuba tools that ST sell though they are totally stainless just sit in the BC pocket.

Cichlid
08-08-2007, 00:28
I carry one in my med kit and both my vehicles. And believe me, I'll be using it. I've done CPR enough times to know what happens and I don't want my mouth anywhere near that!

For sure! Blowing air into a person is the same as blowing air into a Caprisun or juice box drink. Something always shoots back out! Ewwww.

Something that I added to my kit that I'm building was a pocket First Aid book. It has cpr info and also remedies for oceanic creature/scuba related injuries. It is put out by DAN, small and waterproof. It's pretty cool, tells you all about the symptoms and fixes for jelly stings, blue ring octo bite, stingray sting, etc... I was a little disappointed that it didn't tell you to pee on the jelly sting though.

Dive-aholic
08-08-2007, 02:42

For sure! Blowing air into a person is the same as blowing air into a Caprisun or juice box drink. Something always shoots back out! Ewwww.

Only it's not as sweet as what comes out of the juice box...

cummings66
08-08-2007, 11:47
This may be a dumb question, but what for? I saw them for sale on the site, but are they to inflate your tires from your tank or do you use them for something else? Do you get the air let out of your tires that often Larry?

Last year when I didn't have one of those somebody let the air out of one of my tires and also did the same to my buddy. I suspect due to limited parking somebody got upset at having to walk, we got to the dive site early and did a few dives taking our time.

I consider it important, you never know who you'll upset.

thesmoothdome
08-08-2007, 11:59
This may be a dumb question, but what for? I saw them for sale on the site, but are they to inflate your tires from your tank or do you use them for something else? Do you get the air let out of your tires that often Larry?

Last year when I didn't have one of those somebody let the air out of one of my tires and also did the same to my buddy. I suspect due to limited parking somebody got upset at having to walk, we got to the dive site early and did a few dives taking our time.

I consider it important, you never know who you'll upset.

I also carry one in my save-a-dive kit. You never know when you're going to have a flat and they always seem to occur at the worst possible times.

ScaredSilly
08-08-2007, 17:11
Most people have covered the main ones. For me I carry an extra Rx mask. It would suck if my primary mask got squished and I did not have a spare. Of course it is only recently that I got a second mask.

Splitlip
08-08-2007, 19:51

I have them in my primary first aid kits home and in the cars. Not in my dive bag. Maybe I should reconsider.

A few years a go I was on my skates on a sidewalk running by the beach. I came upon a good samaritin who was administering CPR to an elderly gentleman. The guy's face was covered with blood as was the face of the rescuer. He asked if I was trained and I said yes. He wanted me to relieve him. I am not ashamed to say I refused, but I did say I would do compressions.

kevinj1
08-08-2007, 20:37
I always keep two bottles of 500PSI---I am usually everyone's friend when that comes out of the ole' dive kit.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=500PSI

thesmoothdome
08-08-2007, 20:50
I always keep two bottles of 500PSI---I am usually everyone's friend when that comes out of the ole' dive kit.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=500PSI

I just offer to spit in peoples masks...hmmm...maybe that's why I don't get asked to dive more often. :smilie39:

skdvr
08-08-2007, 20:52
I think that I will be adding the pocket mask to my list of things to get. I have also wanted to get the inflator and the little blow gun but never really thought I would use it, but I guess that since I do not have one I will need one, so I guess I better buy one... I am also going to have to get an OtterBox to put all the stuff in...

Phil

cummings66
08-08-2007, 22:58
I'm not sure about how useful the blowgun would be. What would you anticipate the usage to be? I thought about blowing up an air mattress but I suspect the thing might drain 2 scuba tanks to do it.

skdvr
08-09-2007, 03:24
I'm not sure about how useful the blowgun would be. What would you anticipate the usage to be? I thought about blowing up an air mattress but I suspect the thing might drain 2 scuba tanks to do it.

I would use it to blow rafts and such on the boat or to top off innertubes, or even to blow up my float. It is killing me right now because the last time I was on the boat I had something happen that I thought one would have been handy to have, but I cannot think of what it was now.

Phil

Dive-aholic
08-09-2007, 11:33

I use the blow gun when I service my regs and valves. It's usually not something I have to do in the field, but it's there just in case.

Texas Girl
08-09-2007, 15:07
My husband and I each carry a different kit containing different items. His is in a small dry box and contains: silicon grease (for cameras), lanyard, scuba tool, mouthpiece, snorkle keeper, lots of zip ties and o-rings, and a travel dental pick (to remove o-rings). He keeps extra fin and mask straps in his mesh boat bag.

I have a small dry bag, and it has: various mask drops, kleenex, sunscreen, pen/paper (to write notes or exchange adresses with other divers), eye drops (contact wearers), auro-dry/swim ear, chapstick, aleve, advil, different sizes of bandaids, small water-proof fish ID book, waterproof dive computer guide,

And (for the ladies only)

comb, small spray bottle with detangler, feminine supplies.

Harshal
08-09-2007, 15:12
My husband and I each carry a different kit containing different items. His is in a small dry box and contains: silicon grease (for cameras), lanyard, scuba tool, mouthpiece, snorkle keeper, lots of zip ties and o-rings, and a travel dental pick (to remove o-rings). He keeps extra fin and mask straps in his mesh boat bag.

I have a small dry bag, and it has: various mask drops, kleenex, sunscreen, pen/paper (to write notes or exchange adresses with other divers), eye drops (contact wearers), auro-dry/swim ear, chapstick, aleve, advil, different sizes of bandaids, small water-proof fish ID book, waterproof dive computer guide,

Man that sounds like an arrangement…… lol :)

skdvr
08-09-2007, 15:25

I would use it to blow rafts and such on the boat or to top off innertubes, or even to blow up my float. It is killing me right now because the last time I was on the boat I had something happen that I thought one would have been handy to have, but I cannot think of what it was now.

Phil

I just thought about when I would like to have to blow gun while I posting about cleaning gear in another forum.

It would come in handy when I use my lift bag because it almost always has some water in it and it is a pain to blow up by mouth on the surface at home when I am cleaning gear. I could use the air gun to fill the bag so that I can get the inside to dry out better.

Man I feel better that I remembered that.

Phil

skdvr
08-09-2007, 15:27
eye drops (contact wearers)

You know I think that I am going to put a extra set of contacts in my bax when I get home. I usually have eye drops with me, but if my mask floods I could easily loose a contact. That would not be good because I do not see to well without them...

Thanks for the ideaer

Phil

Texas Girl
08-09-2007, 15:41

Man that sounds like an arrangement…… lol :)

It works. At one time or another, either we or other divers have used most everything that we carry.

cummings66
08-09-2007, 16:58
I'm naive, I would not have guessed women borrow each others feminine supplies.

Texas Girl
08-09-2007, 18:14
I'm naive, I would not have guessed women borrow each others feminine supplies.

It depends upon how desperate you are, and whether you planned ahead.
;-)

skdvr
08-09-2007, 18:26
I know that my wife is not shy to ask if she needs something. I thougth the same way as Matt. I would not think that would be something you would ask someone else for, but I guess if you need it you need it. Maybe I should suggest to my wife to keep some supplies in with her dive gear...

Phil

Dive-aholic
08-10-2007, 03:17
I'm a nurse and work with women on a regular basis. And yes, they do ask to borrow supplies. They do quite a few things that you'd never think they did. I guess when a guy is around enough, like at work, they just start letting their guard down.

Oh, let's add deodorant to the kit. Living in AZ, the closest water to me was 3 hours away. After doing 3-4 dives a day for a couple of days with no shower (camping), deodorant is a nice thing to have!

CompuDude
08-10-2007, 03:39
I'm a nurse and work with women on a regular basis. And yes, they do ask to borrow supplies. They do quite a few things that you'd never think they did. I guess when a guy is around enough, like at work, they just start letting their guard down.

Oh, let's add deodorant to the kit. Living in AZ, the closest water to me was 3 hours away. After doing 3-4 dives a day for a couple of days with no shower (camping), deodorant is a nice thing to have!
Sooo... what exactly were you diving in if there was no water nearby? :smiley_confused:

Dive-aholic
08-10-2007, 03:49
Clarification: the closest water to where I used to live was a 3 hour drive. I drove to the lake every other weekend for a camp and dive. No showers. In the summer, I could do lake baths in the morning, but no way was I going to do that in the winter! The deodorant came in handy during the 3 hour drive home.

Krakenn
08-10-2007, 05:06
Hmm no comment

Kraks

skdvr
08-10-2007, 10:44
Wouldn't you just keep deoderant in with your bag with your clothes? I would certainly hope so...

Phil

Dive-aholic
08-10-2007, 11:20
It depends. I've actually driven the 3 hours, done a few dives and returned home the same day. No bag of clothes those trips.

skdvr
08-10-2007, 11:45
It depends. I've actually driven the 3 hours, done a few dives and returned home the same day. No bag of clothes those trips.

That is true. I have done the same thing. Well I guess in goes the deoderant into my toolbox. I am going to need an actual tool box here shortly.

Phil

skdvr
08-12-2007, 16:26
Well I went out yesterday and got a little tackelbox from Bass Pro Shop to start my scuba tool box. It is already full with a lot of the stuff from this post, but I am going to keep adding to it. I was going to try to put first aid type stuff in there as well, but I am just going to have to get another one. It was one about $2. It was one like this http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_13316_100011009_100000000_100011000_100-11-9 but with no dividers. I also bought a small one to put inside the big one to hold little fastners, or reg plugs.

My tool box is coming along. I need to get up to speed on the first aid stuff though.

Phil

CompuDude
08-13-2007, 11:56
I need to find a place that carries a variety of waterproof (resistant, that is) toolboxes. Like a Pelican box, but way less beefy... and lighter weight. Capable of floating would be good, but no need to withstand immersion or running over it with a tank.

Regular toolboxes may keep your gear dry if they're splashed, but I'd like a little more protection than that, for instance, if I want to keep a paper pamphlet in there and not worry that it might get wet.

skdvr
08-13-2007, 12:17
I need to find a place that carries a variety of waterproof (resistant, that is) toolboxes. Like a Pelican box, but way less beefy... and lighter weight. Capable of floating would be good, but no need to withstand immersion or running over it with a tank.

Regular toolboxes may keep your gear dry if they're splashed, but I'd like a little more protection than that, for instance, if I want to keep a paper pamphlet in there and not worry that it might get wet.

After this weekend I will let you know how the little tackle box hold up to having all the wet gear sitting on top of it. I think that it will be fine, but I will know for sure after next weekend.

Phil

RonFrank
08-13-2007, 12:32
I don't have a separate scuba tool box, and likely will not put one together unless I buy very specific things just for servicing regs (for example).

What I do have is a Save-O-Dive kit, which takes up a chuck of my double reg bag. What does it have in it currently?

Hex Wrenches
Crescent Wrench
Oring, save a dive kit
Zip Ties (HUGE)!
Second first, and second
Extra Fin Strap
Extra Mask Strap
Extra MASK!
Aquaseal
ScubaTool
Knife
Snorkel keeper
Bolt Snaps
Oring Silicon

I'm sure I've left stuff out, but basically I have enough stuff to deal with most foreseeable equipment failures, and problems that may happen on a boat.

skdvr
08-14-2007, 21:17

After this weekend I will let you know how the little tackle box hold up to having all the wet gear sitting on top of it. I think that it will be fine, but I will know for sure after next weekend.

Phil

Well I could not wait for this weekend so a buddy of mine and myself hit a small pond tonight and after throwing all my wet gear in the tub on top of the tacklebox no water got in. I say go and buy one and give it a shot and see if it will work for ya, and if not you are only out about $3.00

Phil

skdvr
09-01-2007, 10:12
Just as an update I took my tool box and dropped it over the side of the boat and it floated. Now I did not have the nerve to tumble it over and hope that everythign stayed shut and did not spill everyting into the lake but to just toss it into the lake it floated just fine with everyting in it, and nothing got wet. I may try again later to set it on the side of the boat and flip it into the water to see what happens. I really do think that it would have been just fine. It fits good in my tub with all the rest of my scuba gear and they make a ton of different sizes of these little tackle boxes that would work well. Right now mine just has some tools and save a dive stuff. I think that I am going to start another one to use as a first aid kit. Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions.

Phil

diver_daver
09-03-2007, 21:22
Ok, two most important pieces of "any" emergancy/tool/spare part kit are:

toilet paper {in a good ziplock bag}
duck tape {you can fix almost anything with this... including my first car}

Never leave home without them!

skdvr
09-03-2007, 21:46
The TP is a great idea.

Tonight I just added a small set of needle nose pliers and a dikes. I am quickly runnign out of room in my little tacklebox. I am going to have to do some better organizing or get a bigger box. I feel like I have to much stuff in there right now but it one of those things where you never know if you are going to need it or not so I cannot take anything out of there. Now I have to add some TP. Well I can just make sure that we have some on the boat I guess...

Phil

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 22:51
Ok, two most important pieces of "any" emergancy/tool/spare part kit are:

toilet paper {in a good ziplock bag}
duck tape {you can fix almost anything with this... including my first car}

Never leave home without them!

+1 on the duck tape. that stuff is made by the gods!!

bversteegh
09-09-2007, 11:21
Lot's of good stuff here - the nylon cable ties are what I have used the most. I have a pair of long nose vice grips that have come in handy - and I have one of those screwdivers with multiple bits inside the handle.

I also found some neat velcro straps at Home Depot, about 4 inches long, 1/4 inch wide (have a slot on one end you thread the other end through) - you can use them to tie up hoses, mount flashlights, etc. They are kind of like a cable tie only easy to open/close.

Meat tenderizer works well to stop the pain from jellyfish/hydroid encounters.

Fireplug
11-27-2008, 14:51
Amen on the vice grips. I have a small pair with the short jaws and I've used them to hold stuff together, as a handle for a shower valve, and even to hold a cb antenna on to a truck mirror.

Same with zip ties. Haven't had to break them out of my save a dive kit but I did daisy chain 10 or 12 of them together in place of a throttle cable that broke on a fire truck I was ferrying home. It was a cabover so ran the zip ties thru the back window, jerked on the throttle and shifted with my right hand and steered with my left. Worked good for the 100 miles or so to home on a weekend. Just glad the Ohio State Patrol didn't notice, probably would have got the death penalty for that one. Nearly as bad as speeding!!!

Also recommend having a PSI gauge to put on your 1st stage. If your wireless computer goes down you can at least do your dives with tables, a watch, depth gauge and a air PSI gauge. Nothing worse than sitting out a dive because you don't have the toys to play. :smiley2:

Zeagle Eagle
11-29-2008, 12:37

I have a large generator that rides on inflatable tires. One of the tires was flat, probably from lack of care. Instead of loading the generator in the back of a truck and hauling it to the air machine. I purchased a tire inflation tool for the end of my HP hose from my LDS. It was cheap and it worked great. Since then, I have used it for all sorts of things. It's great for blowing up footballs (pay special attention to the word blowing up), car tires, tubes for the comal river and pretty much anything with a schrader valve attached to it. It's like electric windows, once you have 'em you can't live without them. I also got another attatchement that just blows air. It's great for the tool bench. I got a 1st stage cheap at the dive flea market and keep it attached to one of my tanks with the inflator nozzel attached. I use it all the time. I keep a scuba tank on a set of luggage wheels and I get to use my scuba tank all year not just for diving.
Works great, last a long time.