PDA

View Full Version : Ear Beer

skdvr
08-05-2007, 15:03
I did not know where else to put this so I just thougth it would fit best in here.

I wanted to make and start using Ear Beer after dives to keep my ears healthy and just wanted to know how you made it. I have seen a few recipes and want to make sure that I get it right...

Thanks
Phil

torrey
08-05-2007, 15:58
I've never heard the term "ear beer", but if you're talking about an after-dive ear cleaning solution, I use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and alcohol. The vinegar cleans and then the alcohol allows it to dry quickly. I've also read about mixing in mineral oil to replace the natural oils that are lost to the cleaning process. I put this into a small bottle with a dropper that I got from Wal-Mart. I don't bother with it in fresh-water lakes, but it certainly takes care of the salt from ocean diving.

ScubaToys Larry
08-05-2007, 16:00
As an additional note... this is a great mix to keep around. The vinegar (5% acidic acid solution) is also great for knocking out any marine stings you get... fire coral, sponge, etc...

texdiveguy
08-05-2007, 16:00
50/50 mix of white vinegar and standard rubbing alcohol.

texdiveguy
08-05-2007, 16:02
As an additional note... this is a great mix to keep around. The vinegar (5% acidic acid solution) is also great for knocking out any marine stings you get... fire coral, sponge, etc...

Yea and if you run out of the 'ear beer' or 100% vinegar....in a pinch and miles from home/store/doc,, urine works great--really....for many jellyfish spec. stings,,,,but this might be a good Myth Busters show experiment. Not sure how it would do on irritations like fire coral and stuffs...?

DirtyWaterIL
08-05-2007, 16:07

Yea and if you run out of the 'ear beer' or 100% vinegar....in a pinch and miles from home/store/doc,, urine works great--really....for many spec.,,,,but this might be a good Myth Busters show experiment.

$20 for a 2 oz bottle, pm me.

ScubaToys Larry
08-05-2007, 16:26
Urine is going to be diluted ammonia... and ammonia is somewhat effective on marine stings, not as good as the white vinegar. And if you had asparagus that day - the whole urine thing.... it is better to smell like a salad with vinegar!

texdiveguy
08-05-2007, 16:46
Urine is going to be diluted ammonia... and ammonia is somewhat effective on marine stings, not as good as the white vinegar. And if you had asparagus that day - the whole urine thing.... it is better to smell like a salad with vinegar!

LOL your right!!! Good one... :-)

plot
08-05-2007, 17:05
urine works great--really....for many jellyfish spec. stings,,,,but this might be a good Myth Busters show experiment. ?

So... who gets to pee on Kari Byron?

Cheddarchick
08-05-2007, 17:12
My ENT said to make it 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 saline solution. He said adding the saline won't dry your ears out as badly as just alcohol....

texdiveguy
08-05-2007, 17:15
My ENT said to make it 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 saline solution. He said adding the saline won't dry your ears out as badly as just alcohol....

A few drops of glycerin in the ear beer will also help prevent drying in the out ear.

skdvr
08-05-2007, 17:49
I had heard of the 50/50 of Alcohol and White Vinegar, and of the 1/3 solution but in the 1/3 solution I had heard about they said just water but Saline would make more sense to me. I had never hear about Glycerin though.

Phil

Cheddarchick
08-05-2007, 17:59
He said it just helps coat the inner ear

tx.lakerat
08-05-2007, 18:02

This is the mix my ENT gave me as well... Works great!

cyclical
08-05-2007, 19:13
Yea and if you run out of the 'ear beer' or 100% vinegar....in a pinch and miles from home/store/doc,, urine works great--really....for many jellyfish spec. stings,,,,but this might be a good Myth Busters show experiment. Not sure how it would do on irritations like fire coral and stuffs...?

Aahh yes it does... been there done that.

Works pretty damn well when there is no vinegar around.

If you had plenty of water that day you won't smell too bad. :smilie39:

skdvr
08-05-2007, 20:32
So what kind of alsohol??? 70% or 90%

Phil

plot
08-05-2007, 20:35

Phil

busch

the gooch
08-05-2007, 21:33

Phil
No more for you, slurring already.:smilie39:

Cheddarchick
08-06-2007, 05:29
90. though either would work

skdvr
08-06-2007, 07:04

Phil

Yeah I guess maybe it was staring to get to me...

Phil

Disneymom
08-06-2007, 10:28
An interesting note, my head instructor (1000+ diver) told me to pick up grain alcohol & mix w/ the vinegar. Anybody heard of this?
Maybe thats what Phil used... :dunno:

CompuDude
08-06-2007, 12:50
An interesting note, my head instructor (1000+ diver) told me to pick up grain alcohol & mix w/ the vinegar. Anybody heard of this?
It would work, but why waste good (and expensive) grain alcohol when rubbing alcohol is cheap and readily available?

The officially recommended home brew (easy to make version... there is amore complex version but there's little point) is 50-50 white vinegar and rubbing alcohol (normal strength, i.e., closest to 100% as you can find... note it's not possible to have 100% so don't sweat it). I've also heard the tip about the glycerin. It's a nice extra but not essential to get the job done. I don't bother with it.

DAN recommends 50-50, and if you have trouble with it being too drying, just add a little water.

More On Swimmers Ear: DAN revisits and expands on the preventive measures for otitis externa
http://diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=49

Keeping It Clean: Reasons for Good Aural Hygiene
http://diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=69

Can You Prevent Otitis Externa, or Swimmers Ear?
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=48

Larry, these links might be good for a sticky somewhere. :smiley20:

Roboray
08-07-2007, 03:54
Aaaah, Ok!

frankc420
08-07-2007, 07:30
My ENT recommended Vinegar / Alcohol / Water, equal parts of each. That solutions didn't work too well for me, so I went to the Vinegar / 90% Alcohol mix. I will tell you one thing, if you have any signs of swimmers ear starting, there will be a good sting from the 90% :)

skdvr
08-07-2007, 17:44
Well after reading all of this and the links that CompuDude linked I think I am going to stick with the 50/50 solution.

Thanks for the input from everyone...

Phil

ReefHound
08-07-2007, 18:50

Yea and if you run out of the 'ear beer' or 100% vinegar....in a pinch and miles from home/store/doc,, urine works great--really....for many spec.,,,,but this might be a good Myth Busters show experiment.

$20 for a 2 oz bottle, pm me.

Did you say "pm me" or "pee on me"?

Doghouse
08-08-2007, 09:50
I second Cheddar's response.
My step daughter used to swim for the USA team. They use the 1/3 mix and make it by the bucket. Keeps the swimmers ear away.

dludwig
08-10-2007, 18:43
Could you can the 1/3 parts of vinegar, alcohol & saline solution EAR BEER LIGHT? :smilie39:

techgnostic
08-10-2007, 21:17

Perhaps they were having a little after dive drink, w/o alarming the class by tipping back the whole bottle?

Disneymom
08-10-2007, 22:46

Perhaps they were having a little after dive drink, w/o alarming the class by tipping back the whole bottle?:smiley36:

cummings66
08-10-2007, 23:31
I'm not sure I want anybody peeing in my ear to ward off an infection. Of course I will tell you this much, if a person's in great pain they'll do things that you can't imagine. I found that out the hard way during a medical test. I would have done anything if they just stopped the test right there and then, no questions asked.

skdvr
08-11-2007, 15:26
Could you can the 1/3 parts of vinegar, alcohol & saline solution EAR BEER LIGHT? :smilie39:

That is pretty good...:smilie39:

Phil

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 17:42
I'm not sure I want anybody peeing in my ear to ward off an infection. Of course I will tell you this much, if a person's in great pain they'll do things that you can't imagine. I found that out the hard way during a medical test. I would have done anything if they just stopped the test right there and then, no questions asked.

that would be gross if someone peed in your ear :smiley11:

skdvr
08-12-2007, 03:15

that would be gross if someone peed in your ear :smiley11:

Yes it would be, and NO they are not going to....

Phil

Buoyant1
08-18-2007, 07:08

THAT show would be a classic!:smilie39:

chewyjr15
09-11-2007, 20:39
made a batch of the 50 50 mix today and after i did my laps in the pool i squirted it in with one of those childrens medication dispenser thingy's and it dried my ears up right away gonna use it everyday now after i swim. No more wet ears for me!

skdvr
09-11-2007, 22:16
I had not used anything like this since I was a kid and after I started this post and heard about everyone using it, I decided it was better to be proactive about protecting my ears so I started using it and I love it. It works great. I too have a 50/50 mix in my gear box that I take with me everwhere now. I cannot imagine diving without it now, which is a total 180 from the position I was in before trying it....

Phil

Tableleg
09-12-2007, 08:35
I'm not sure I want anybody peeing in my earlol... I can see it now at Blue Hole or some of the more policed dive sites: " No officer, he asked me to pee into his ear, honest!" :smiley36:

Or what the passerby's would be thinking as they saw divers peeing into each other's ears... :smilie39:

sudnit5
09-12-2007, 11:13
I was a lifeguard at a summer camp and after everyone came out of the water we had them put a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and standard rubbing alcohol. It seemed to work good.

jwdizney
09-12-2007, 13:35
It would work, but why waste good (and expensive) grain alcohol when rubbing alcohol is cheap and readily available?

The officially recommended home brew (easy to make version... there is amore complex version but there's little point) is 50-50 white vinegar and rubbing alcohol (normal strength, i.e., closest to 100% as you can find... note it's not possible to have 100% so don't sweat it). I've also heard the tip about the glycerin. It's a nice extra but not essential to get the job done. I don't bother with it.

DAN recommends 50-50, and if you have trouble with it being too drying, just add a little water.

More On Swimmers Ear: DAN revisits and expands on the preventive measures for otitis externa
http://diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=49

Keeping It Clean: Reasons for Good Aural Hygiene
http://diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=69

Can You Prevent Otitis Externa, or Swimmers Ear?
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=48

Larry, these links might be good for a sticky somewhere. :smiley20:

These are all great links! Thanks Compudude!

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 13:48

or you can help out your buddy and go wee wee ... hey what are buddies for? :smilie39:

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 13:49
be careful with the alcohol solution. its good for swimmers ear but if you have an ear infection (pain) than you should see your doctor.