PDA

View Full Version : Hard Weights or Soft Weights

jtkkym
05-12-2008, 21:47
Which type of weight do you prefer to use?

DOWNDEEP73
05-12-2008, 21:54
I have a weight intergrated BC. I prefer soft weights.

CompuDude
05-12-2008, 21:57
Pocket weight belt. Coated hard weights, all the way.

texdiveguy
05-12-2008, 21:57
I use mainly soft wts., when wts. are required. But I have both...used both and can make due with either!

FishFood
05-12-2008, 21:58
Hard weights. Cheaper, and they last forever. Plus, they go into my weight pocket much easier.

Soonerwink
05-12-2008, 22:00
I use hard weights just because that is what I started with and have 60#, various weights. It would be too expensive to switch now. It works great in my intergrated BC also.

crpntr133
05-12-2008, 22:02
Hard since they take up a lot less space in a pocket.

Damselfish
05-12-2008, 22:02
I use whatever is available at my tropical destination, normally hard weights. They are fine in my WI BC. I've got hard weights at home too, I don't dive here anymore but they're still useful for all sorts of other things!

spatman
05-12-2008, 22:36
Hard since they take up a lot less space in a pocket.

i started with a bunch of soft weights, but found that some pockets were a bit tight, so those now have vinyl coated hard weights in them.

aaronle06
05-12-2008, 22:59
i dont know if it just me being a new diver, buy why would someone carry soft weights instead of hard weights?

spatman
05-12-2008, 23:28
i dont know if it just me being a new diver, buy why would someone carry soft weights instead of hard weights?

i prefer them in some cases because they're more form-fitting when put in a pocket. no hard edges or corners to dig in somewhere.

Penguino
05-13-2008, 00:05
I prefer the hard weights (coated). They seem to slip around less in my BC. Plus they are cheaper.

CFDAlden
05-13-2008, 00:30
Try dropping a 5lb hard weight on your foot from, oh, say, bench height. Then try dropping a soft weight. :)

fisheater
05-13-2008, 00:33
I use hard weights, because:
- the lead residue of the soft weights scares me and I figure it can't be too good for the UW ecosystem, either;
- I can get them really cheap, delivered on eBay;
- they take up less room in my weight bag and in my BC pockets (even 44#!); and
- they don't jab me anyplace or cause me any problems (other than their damned weight, that is.).

CompuDude
05-13-2008, 03:25
Try dropping a 5lb hard weight on your foot from, oh, say, bench height. Then try dropping a soft weight. :)

Try being more careful with your stuff. ;)

Oh, and when you drop that soft weight, you'd better hope it doesn't break, scattering lead shot (lead being a known health risk that is classified as hazardous material in many places) all over the place.

Some people (but not all) have a legitimate gripe about hard weights not being as comfortable, when they're strung on a standard weight belt. But there's really no excuse when you can put them in a pocket belt, or the weight pocket of a BC, where they are kept away from your body.

In case anyone missed it, I'm not a fan of the soft weight. It's a solution to a negligible, easily corrected problem, and a solution that brings actual harm in place of the minor, easily corrected discomfort.

Geoff_T
05-13-2008, 04:15
I have always figured soft weights were a solution to somebody’s sales problem. This way as your students upgrade their equipment to weight integrated bc's you can convince them that they must buy soft weights or else they will destroy their investment. That said I like hard I think they are easier to move around. Even know a few divers who put one on their tank strap just because they can. Also works great for light stands when I run out of sand bags at work.

oddbod
05-13-2008, 06:26
I dive a Black Diamond BC and have shaped some myself to fit the pockets and wrap around the body, much more comfortable. Am in the process of doing the same for some weight pockets for my backplate and a channel weight.

BSea
05-13-2008, 08:25
i dont know if it just me being a new diver, buy why would someone carry soft weights instead of hard weights?I've been on a few charters that wouldn't let you bring hard weights because they were afraid of damage to the boat deck. If you brought hard weights, they'd ask you to leave them, & provide soft weights.

I personally don't care, but with the cost of lead going sky high, I'm glad I have enough. Any weight I might buy in the future will be hard weight (from Ebay if it makes sense). But I'm going to have to lose some before I go buy any.

mselizann
05-13-2008, 09:05
I am pretty bony through my hips- so I find the soft wieghts much easier on my body

spatman
05-13-2008, 09:21
the lead residue of the soft weights scares me and I figure it can't be too good for the UW ecosystem, either

i never noticed a residue, but that is a good point. have soft weights been known to shed lead?

CompuDude
05-13-2008, 13:16
the lead residue of the soft weights scares me and I figure it can't be too good for the UW ecosystem, either

i never noticed a residue, but that is a good point. have soft weights been known to shed lead?

Set down your wet soft weights after a dive. Wait 10 minutes. Pick them up, and observe the milky residue they leave behind.

Lead powder is not your friend.

texdiveguy
05-13-2008, 13:22

Set down your wet soft weights after a dive. Wait 10 minutes. Pick them up, and observe the milky residue they leave behind.

I only use Sea Pearls soft wts. and have for years without 'any' of the mentioned residue being left.

spatman
05-13-2008, 13:42

i haven't noticed it the past, but i'll take a closer look next time.

DOWNDEEP73
05-13-2008, 13:47

I only use Sea Pearls soft wts. and have for years without 'any' of the mentioned residue being left.
I have never seen or felt any milky residue, either!
But then again....I'm usually looking around for some hot chicks in bikini's!

Crimediver
05-13-2008, 19:41
I have both. I generally use the hard. I have hundreds of pounds of lead I pick up, a lot of which I found diving. I have some molds for weights.
I dive both weight integrated and weight belt configurations. Also use a DUI harness. I also dive w/o weights. I made up different weight belts for most of the diving I do from 4 pound belts on up. I have had soft weight worm their way out of some integrated weight systems and fall out. Hard weights on webbing don't have that problem.
However the soft weights worked real good a couple of days ago for holding down some patches I was gluing on my Zodiac.

texdiveguy
05-13-2008, 19:58
Various size soft wts. make for a great replacement to expensive V-wts. and you can configure your own set-up.

ChrisA
05-13-2008, 20:07
Which type of weight do you prefer to use?

I'm converting over to rubber coated hard weights. Most of mine are soft now

Currently I use softweights in the BC that are the correct weight for my wetsuit and then when I dive dry I add a weight belt that has traditional hard weights threard on webbibng with those kepers so they don't slide around.

I'm putting together a backplate system and I don't know how I'll rig weights yet. I'm switching but I'm not going to replace all my weights unless maybe some local diver will want to trade

elijahb
05-13-2008, 20:15
I use soft cause they feel better when they are on you. They are a lot more comfortable

Mooha182
05-13-2008, 20:16
Even with only doing a few dives I think the soft weights are a better idea for me. I have very little body fat around my waist and the lead weights (all 16lbs!) where chafing the crap out of my hips with a 4/3 wetsuit on. If I ditched the hard weights and got soft ones to spread out more evenly on a belt (no lead hanging directly on the hip) it would of been a little better. Other then that I don't really care which as long as it is lead.

FishFood
05-13-2008, 20:18
I use soft cause they feel better when they are on you. They are a lot more comfortable

Huh? What sort of weight system do you use?

texdiveguy
05-13-2008, 20:39
This is the type wt. belt I use with my soft wts. (minus the plastic clip/d-ring) 5 pocket model. Very comfy and allows for great wt. placement.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUMWB.html

CompuDude
05-13-2008, 21:24
Even with only doing a few dives I think the soft weights are a better idea for me. I have very little body fat around my waist and the lead weights (all 16lbs!) where chafing the crap out of my hips with a 4/3 wetsuit on. If I ditched the hard weights and got soft ones to spread out more evenly on a belt (no lead hanging directly on the hip) it would of been a little better. Other then that I don't really care which as long as it is lead.

Might want to try the XS Scuba Pocket belt (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=XSWB). Keeps the weight away from your waist... only the belt touches you, the weights all hang off in pockets.

http://www.h2ogeek.com/divegear/200211GR_08_xsscuba.jpg

CFDAlden
05-14-2008, 01:20
Try being more careful with your stuff. ;)

We were, but, when the guy next to you goes to sit (charter boat) and the boat drops off the top of 5-6' swells, and flails everything off the bench (himself included), it's hard to dodge everything. :D

Geoff_T
05-14-2008, 04:18
Has anybody tried coating their hard weights themselves? I believe you can buy rubber made for tool handles and the like at home depot. Might even be spray on, I have been thinking of this for a while just never took the initiave.

Jasper
05-14-2008, 06:10
I have coated a few hard weights with Plasti-Dip.

I have only tested them a few times, so I cannot speak for it's durability yet.

The coating seems to hold up pretty good.

The dip is expensive.

scubasavvy
05-14-2008, 10:29
I prefer soft weights because as someone said previously, they tend to form to the pocket. Even when I may put them in my BC in a funky position, they seem to even themselves out pretty well. Oh, and if you drop soft weights on your foot by accident...they hurt much less ;).

DUnder
05-14-2008, 11:04
Soft weights they fit into my BC pockets better

RoyN
05-14-2008, 16:55
I never use hard weights anymore since I use my BC with the weight pouch. If I take out the weight pouch, its because I'm gonna dive using double tanks.

616fun
05-14-2008, 16:57
I've used soft weights my entire dive career. Not opposed to hard, just ended up buying soft weights.

Brian

huvrr
05-14-2008, 21:57
I make my own and use graphite coated #4 lead that doesn't milk out.

Grizbear98
05-15-2008, 11:31
I don't mind hard weights, not since I picked up my 3 mil wetsuit, the back pad keeps my hips and back from turning into a bruised mess. But I've had soft weights thrown into my BC pockets before to keep me under and I didn't mind them either. If I go to buy my own I guess it will just depend on if it's in a weight integrated BC or not and if hard is something I can put in there, that and my income at the time. I usually use what's available, and its been hard for the most part so far.

jtkkym
05-18-2008, 20:38
It looks like soft weights are more popular but I'm going to get some hard weights because they are cheaper.

matt151617
05-18-2008, 20:47
I think soft weights would be a little better for weight-integrated BCs, but the disadvantage is they can break open and spill out if thrown or dropped.

huvrr
05-20-2008, 07:46
I drop mine all the time and they never spill or break in the xs bags I got from ST.

CompuDude
05-21-2008, 14:36
I drop mine all the time and they never spill or break in the xs bags I got from ST.

As the bag ages, it will be less resilient. There's a reason why my LDS' pool bottom is always covered in shot...

character157
07-02-2008, 19:45
I am using hard weights....they work great and have never let me down.

sroe72
07-02-2008, 23:34
I prefer hard weights. I thinks it is easier to get in and out of my bc pockets