PDA

View Full Version : be forwarned!!!

boates
05-13-2008, 14:35
Let me start by saying ,,, I'm a dento-phobe! That being said..
Every trip we go on, I get a dental check-up, just a look see. Well this last time, co-incided with my real check-up. Result,,, Dentist said "root canal".
Now what I heard was.........you need to have your head drilled with a jack-hammer, prodded with a pick axe, then we bring in the pavers and tar the whole mess!!!!!!!!
Needless to say, I thought I'd leave town and head to Bonaire(she'd never find me there) and have a great trip. This was 2 months before our trip....not enough time...........right?!
Well, everything went fine till our 5th day, then,,,,TOOTH SQUEEZE............:smiley19::smiley11:
It feels like someone takes a hot poker and pushes it right up through your tooth into your brain! As long as I stayed no deeper than 40 feet for the rest of the trip it was "ok"

So my words of experience would be get pending dental work done before you leave on your trip.

I have to go and book an appointment now, well maybe tomorrow, or better, next week........month.....our next trip isn't till Nov/Dec............lotsa time..................right???!!:smilie39:

mselizann
05-13-2008, 17:44
oh no!!! I had a bad root canal and I was so afraid of that happening to me- ouch
mine was the furthest in the back molar- they weren't sure if they could save it- so I had it pulled- no impending tooth squeeze for me

good advice for everyone- I'm not sure everyone thinks of that

ChrisA
05-13-2008, 18:17
good advice for everyone- I'm not sure everyone thinks of that

I always think it's best not to do anything new just before a trip. Don't buy a new camera, or a BC or dental work or anythng just before leaving town for vacation. Dive with the "new stuff" at home and get used to it and make sure it will work like you want it to.

I think the worst mistake is to have a reg serviced just before a trip. It the thing is going to fail it will be either just after it comes back from the shop or years after the last service. Dive on it for a few weeks befre flying off some place with it.

cummings66
05-13-2008, 18:37
So far I've been lucky on my dental work, but if I was leaving for an exotic locate I sure wouldn't tempt fate by having dental work done unless it was totally necessary.

elijahb
05-14-2008, 19:33
Why didn't you ask your dentist about getting the work done after your trip. Maybe they would have been able to tell you about tooth squeeze.

scubasamurai
05-14-2008, 22:14
didn't someone post a link to an article about that topic. i couldn't find it. but i of course got my check up and needed a cap. well i made sure my dentist knew about my diving and made sure it was well secured. have not had any problems so far, but i am with you especially with the caps because air can get trapped in there during placement and well lets say bang.

but i also heard that it happens with the mix gases more than air, someone from the tec department care to comment?? not too sure

huvrr
05-17-2008, 05:32
happens with nitros oxide a lot I hear

Dive Rong
05-17-2008, 13:14
I second the motion for a dental check-up prior to a dive trip. Last year my son and I went to a third world dive resort. He started getting tooth squeeze - went to the dentist in town and found a large cavity. We got the cavity filled, but the hygene at the dentist's office was only about a half step higher than that of a latrine at a survival camp. I resorted to my dive trip med kit and stuffed antibiotics down him for the next week. Note to self: Replenish kit this June! - DRg

boates
05-18-2008, 06:27
Why didn't you ask your dentist about getting the work done after your trip. Maybe they would have been able to tell you about tooth squeeze.

I guess I didn't make myself clear... I didn't get it done...........I ran away to Bonaire.
My point was that if you know you need work done, get it done.
I knew all about tooth squeeze,:smiley11: that's why I get the mini checks before leaving.