PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good charter?

DirtyWaterIL
08-05-2007, 16:47
I'm curious what other peopel think makes for a good charter. The dive conditions ect cannot be controlled by the charter operator so lets leave theese things out. Heres what i think.....

1. Friendly, helpful, knowlegable about the type of diving you are going to be doing.

2. Knows quite a bit about local diving and is familiar with alternate dive sites in case something isn't going to work out at the site you had planned on diving

3. Provides food/drinks ect on the surface (nothing fancy, water and fruit or cookies work fine for me

4. decent sized boat with plenty of room that doesn't take forever to get to the site

5. offers as much or as little help as you want. Some people want their hand held from the time they step on the boat to the second they leave including gear assembly, entry, a tour underwater, help exiting ect. Others just want somone to drive the boat to the dive site and keep their hands off.

PlatypusMan
08-05-2007, 17:02
No bottom-time limitations that are unreasonable with regard to the type of diving/divers on board the vessel.

If I'm on a boat with a lot of relatively new divers, then I expect to be required to come up earlier than I normally would; OTOH, if most of the divers are fairly experienced with good SAC profiles, let's let them stay down a bit longer than the newer folks, eh?

MEL-DC Diver
08-05-2007, 22:03
Don't operate the cattle boats and don't provide tanks with short fills.

Dive-aholic
08-05-2007, 22:21
No bottom time limits - if I want to do one long dive while everyone else does 2, I'm happy. I'll plan my dive and bring the required gasses.

No cattle boats - I hate crowds.

No lame sites - then again, I sign up for a specific site, not just to dive.

dmdoss
08-05-2007, 23:12
A boat? j/k The crew

Black-Gorrilla
08-05-2007, 23:56
good crew... no a**hole captain... no **** spots and no rushing everyone off the boat either.

picxie
08-06-2007, 01:25
I think everyone's said it all really. A good crew makes a huge difference. Friendly, helpful, not rushing you, etc. They're in the service industry - they need to be 'people' people. I like someone who doesn't look down on me for not having as much experience as them and who is patient when I ask questions.

CompuDude
08-06-2007, 13:10
Membrane Nitrox system with the ability to give good solid HP fills... quickly... and for a reasonable price (all-day flat fee is often best)! :smiley20:

Good gear storage locations for each diver. A table in a central area (by the gear) so you have a place to work on camera equipment, etc.

I also prefer a recessed ledge and bungee system for tank retention rather than the individual plastic round slots for individual tanks, due to variations in tank size (7.25/8.0", plus boots, not to mention those who attach their ponys to the tank). Doubles-friendly is a plus.

A charging station inside with places to charge your lights, cameras, scooters, etc. between dives.

Hooks to hang towels and boat coats.

A hot tub a great addition to boats that have room for one, especially on cold winter days!

mike_s
08-06-2007, 14:10
how about "Provide the customer what they paid for" (unless there is a valid reason not to).

(sorry... .. sour from my last charter trip).

jlwest63
08-06-2007, 14:28
Just max my dive time and let me do my thing. Have a DM go down and the people that want to stick with them fine let the other people do there own thing. That is big for me since I don't like hanging with the group and like for me and my buddy to go off on our own.

ReefHound
08-06-2007, 14:41
I just want safe boat transportation to the site, preferably a top for shade, reasonable room for gear storage, and a tag line for getting to the exit ladder.

Avoid lots of unnecessary picky rules and don't act like your biggest concern is getting back to the dock so you can get home early.

CompuDude
08-06-2007, 15:00
Just max my dive time and let me do my thing. Have a DM go down and the people that want to stick with them fine let the other people do there own thing. That is big for me since I don't like hanging with the group and like for me and my buddy to go off on our own.

Good point. I forgot that in much of the world, they don't let you do your own dives. In SoCal, all the boats let you do your own thing... DMs do not accompany you unless you have specifically (and independently) hired one to lead you on a dive.

mobeeno
04-13-2008, 21:23
To me a good charter is one that will take you the spots where divers want to go.

scubasamurai
04-13-2008, 21:58
they take care of you, don't give you grief about coming up with less than 500 psi, heck i paid for all the air, might as well use it

give me insight to the dive sites that we are going to

be able to spot someone you isn't really sure about themselves and the dive they are about to make

fireflock
04-14-2008, 06:45
they take care of you, don't give you grief about coming up with less than 500 psi, heck i paid for all the air, might as well use it

be able to spot someone you isn't really sure about themselves and the dive they are about to make

Any chance that the 2 might go together? :smiley5: or maybe...is too sure about themselves and the dive they are about to make?

Rock Bottom and Gas Management for Recreational Divers (http://www.scriptkiddie.org/diving/rockbottom.html)

mentalmarine
04-14-2008, 09:14
Give scubasamurai a break, we have all come up with less than 500 psi before for one reason or another. I think what he was referring to here is someone that isn't sure about how to put their gear together and maybe needs a little more help with everything.

RoyN
04-14-2008, 10:12
Flexiblility, knowledge, and actually caring for the customer is what makes a dive charter a good charter. There are rules and restriction too but those should be the social norms like not sucking the tank down where they have to do an inspection fee, asking the divemaster all these question where you're supposed to know from the open water class, and being a snob on the boat. Those three there are a big no-no, I've seen people done it and it is very sad but to counter it, let it go out this ear and out the other ear.

EuphoriaII
04-14-2008, 10:19
No bottom-time limitations that are unreasonable with regard to the type of diving/divers on board the vessel.

If I'm on a boat with a lot of relatively new divers, then I expect to be required to come up earlier than I normally would; OTOH, if most of the divers are fairly experienced with good SAC profiles, let's let them stay down a bit longer than the newer folks, eh?

That and I want a good predive briefing about the area if I haven't been there before.

MSilvia
04-14-2008, 10:20
A big one for me that no one has mentioned yet, especially for the charters that aren't the time-limiting hand-holder type, is adequate first aid for diving injuries. At the very least, I think it's important for there to be O2 on board, and someone trained to administer it.

scubasamurai
04-14-2008, 11:34

Any chance that the 2 might go together? :smiley5: or maybe...is too sure about themselves and the dive they are about to make?

Rock Bottom and Gas Management for Recreational Divers (http://www.scriptkiddie.org/diving/rockbottom.html)

i have done several dives where i come up with 300 psi in the tank, by choice, not by lack of planning. especially in shallow water dives looking for shark teeth. so the two are not meant to be related. coming up with less than 500psi is not a planning failure , but sometimes a plan in itself in shallow diving. on most dives i have always returned to the boat with 500 minium psi especially on deep wreck dives, where you need an emergency reserve for unforseen events ie increasing current or your buddy loses his grip on the descent/ascent line and you have to go get them. in 20 feet of water my computer doesn't even call for a safety stop, unless i did a deeper dive in the am.

the point is having an novice diver unsure about how to handle a depth or maybe a night dive issue or even an open water dive or their first drift dive.. even dealing with sharks in the water could give anyone an anxious moment. better that the dm/operator can see this diver's anxiousness and intervene on the boat deck not at a depth of 100 feet when things go wrong quickly or when your in the water where panic can overwhelm the most exp dive operator. that was the point i was making.

over confidence gets people injuried or killed. :smiley29:

oddbod
04-14-2008, 14:04
Post-dive MUNCHIES:smilie40:,lollies, home made muffins, cakes etc.:smilie40:

rktman26
07-11-2008, 11:19
I think everyone here missed a very important part of what makes a good charter.

A ride back!!!