PDA

View Full Version : No Excuse AED Program

Murloc
05-14-2008, 13:21
get an AED and don't pay....

http://www.divingindepth.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=511&tabindex=7&DocumentID=4961

Charles R
05-14-2008, 13:49
That would be great if I owned a Dive Operation. But I am sure there are alot of boat operations that could use this. I wonder How many free dive excursions it costs?

scubasamurai
05-14-2008, 14:05
great idea, but get certified it only takes 2 hours and includes cpr!!! like the moron said " push the button"

Charles R
05-14-2008, 14:11
great idea, but get certified it only takes 2 hours and includes cpr!!! like the moron said " push the button"

They are not giving the class away. They are giving the acctual AED machine away.:smiley20:

aaronle06
05-14-2008, 14:17
yeah ive used a Training version of an AED and htey are really easy to use. im talking elementary math, not rocket science hard. it shows where you place the pads, and IT EVEN TELLS WHEN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PRESS THE BUTTON. i dont know why they dont make it 100% automated. i mean it knows if the person has a pulse, or not.

aaronle06
05-14-2008, 14:17

They are not giving the class away. They are giving the acctual AED machine away.:smiley20:

how much is the class? i didnt see it posted on the OP's link.

aaronle06
05-14-2008, 14:19
nvm boat operators only...i was about to sign up for the class even if it was 1500 bucks.

Scotttyd
05-14-2008, 14:19
I work in a hospital ED, I have seen many many times were lives were saved by AED's. We had a local high school lacross player who took a shot to the chest, heart stopped, there were 3 doctors at the game, but it was the AED that saved him

Scotttyd
05-14-2008, 14:20
nvm boat operators only...i was about to sign up for the class even if it was 1500 bucks.
CPR class 1500 bucks, that does not sound right, 50 maybe

Murloc
05-14-2008, 14:25
if I was Joe I'd contact them and work out a deal where they supply ST with a unit for their pool classes and Joe waives the OW certification fees for their clients....it'd be a win/win.....Joe and Larry would have one of these units available in case of an emergency during pool sessions and it would be an added appeal to Aqua Sports, Inc where they could have certain clients become certified through ST (not to mention the increase sales promotion)

just a thought

divingmedic
05-14-2008, 14:38
yeah ive used a Training version of an AED and htey are really easy to use. im talking elementary math, not rocket science hard. it shows where you place the pads, and IT EVEN TELLS WHEN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PRESS THE BUTTON. i dont know why they dont make it 100% automated. i mean it knows if the person has a pulse, or not.
A AED does not know if the person has a pulse or not. Someone could be in Ventricular Tachycardia with a pulse and the AED sees that and shocks it might end up killing the person instead of saving them. That is why people need a class before ever using one.

divingmedic
05-14-2008, 14:40
I work in a hospital ED, I have seen many many times were lives were saved by AED's. We had a local high school lacross player who took a shot to the chest, heart stopped, there were 3 doctors at the game, but it was the AED that saved him

And that is only if the heart is able to reset it's own pacemaker site and start beating on it's own. Many times it takes and advanced airway and medication before the heart starts back on it's own.

CompuDude
05-14-2008, 18:01

Considering you can buy an AED outright for $1200, last time I priced them (and I'll bet they're cheaper now), that's not much of a bargain.

elijahb
05-14-2008, 19:25

Considering you can buy an AED outright for $1200, last time I priced them (and I'll bet they're cheaper now), that's not much of a bargain.

cpr should be a lot less then 1500 at most it should be 150. AED prices are dropping they are even adding them to some malls

scubasamurai
05-14-2008, 22:18

yes i know, but you really should pay and get certified if you have one of these things on the boat was the meaning. :smiley9:

matt151617
05-14-2008, 22:18
The AED is probably $1500, not the class (link isn't loading for me). And they do make 100% automatic AEDs... all you have to do is check for a pulse, if they don't have one, you stick the pads on and do CPR, and listen to the prompts. The only reason most AEDs aren't fully automatic is because it allows the operator to ensure no one is touching the patient before they push the shock button, otherwise, you might have 2 patients.

scubasamurai
05-14-2008, 22:21
The AED is probably $1500, not the class (link isn't loading for me). And they do make 100% automatic AEDs... all you have to do is check for a pulse, if they don't have one, you stick the pads on and do CPR, and listen to the prompts. The only reason most AEDs aren't fully automatic is because it allows the operator to ensure no one is touching the patient before they push the shock button, otherwise, you might have 2 patients.

and for checking the pulse that is no longer necessary as well, you just have to check for level of "alertness" basically kick before you shock them!!

they found 75% error rate when checking for a pulse (AHA) during the assessment and that included medical personal!!!! so now hey just shake and yell to see if they are awake the aed determines if there is a pulse.

matt151617
05-14-2008, 22:27
and for checking the pulse that is no longer necessary as well, you just have to check for level of "alertness" basically kick before you shock them!!

they found 75% error rate when checking for a pulse (AHA) during the assessment and that included medical personal!!!! so now hey just shake and yell to see if they are awake the aed determines if there is a pulse.

No, the AED does not check for a pulse, it checks for electrical activity in the heart. There's plenty of cases where you can have one but not the other. Like if someone is in shock and lost a lot of blood, they can have no pulse, but on a heart monitor their heart is beating normally (it's just not moving any fluid, because the fluid doesn't exist). Also, as has been mentioned before, there's a shockable rhythm called ventricular tachycardia, but you only shock it when there's no pulse. If they do have a pulse, they need a shock, but of less current, and it needs to be synced up to their heartbeat. So you run the risk of stopping their heart altogether if you shock someone with a pulse.

aaronle06
05-15-2008, 00:46

No, the AED does not check for a pulse, it checks for electrical activity in the heart. There's plenty of cases where you can have one but not the other. Like if someone is in shock and lost a lot of blood, they can have no pulse, but on a heart monitor their heart is beating normally (it's just not moving any fluid, because the fluid doesn't exist). Also, as has been mentioned before, there's a shockable rhythm called ventricular tachycardia, but you only shock it when there's no pulse. If they do have a pulse, they need a shock, but of less current, and it needs to be synced up to their heartbeat. So you run the risk of stopping their heart altogether if you shock someone with a pulse.

I remember something about a pulse in a health class when using an AED, but I guess that it wasn't for an automatic AED. it shows what i know. lol

MConnelly2
05-22-2008, 05:33

And that is only if the heart is able to reset it's own pacemaker site and start beating on it's own. Many times it takes and advanced airway and medication before the heart starts back on it's own.

Funny how none of the course cirricula mention that AED's will sometimes shock a person from VFib into a nice, stable asystole (hey, it IS a stable ryhtm, right?)

Didn't the newest ECC revisions have something to say about AED protocols for VTach? I'll look it up when I have a moment later in the day, but I think I remember something changing in the latest protocols.

divingmedic
05-22-2008, 14:07

Funny how none of the course cirricula mention that AED's will sometimes shock a person from VFib into a nice, stable asystole (hey, it IS a stable ryhtm, right?)

Didn't the newest ECC revisions have something to say about AED protocols for VTach? I'll look it up when I have a moment later in the day, but I think I remember something changing in the latest protocols.
Asystole is the most stable rhytmn of them all.:smiley36: