PDA

View Full Version : Where to Dive in New England?

thor
05-14-2008, 14:46
We are planning a vacation this summer and considering places like Boston, Newport, Block Island, Nantucket, Maine, etc. (For the record, I wanted to go to the Keys, but my wife wants to stay within driving distance of the kids) Does anyone know of an area where the diving is particularly better than the other areas, so I can turn this trip into a diving vacation?

Geoff_T
05-14-2008, 14:59
Before we get to that how deep are you talking. The andrea doria is in new england but at 50 dives it is probially not on the radar. Some great wreck diving in all of those places but varing tecnical dificulty levles and depths. As for specific places I will leave that to sombody else.

thor
05-14-2008, 15:34
Before we get to that how deep are you talking. The andrea doria is in new england but at 50 dives it is probially not on the radar. Some great wreck diving in all of those places but varing tecnical dificulty levles and depths. As for specific places I will leave that to sombody else.

The Andrea Doria? Why didn't I think of that? Or perhaps we could just drive to Mt. Everest and do that.

Sorry for the confusion, but I was talking about something I could do with the Mrs., that would be a leisurely recreational dive(s), with just one tank strapped to my back. 190 feet is a little deep for me, right now.

MSilvia
05-14-2008, 16:19
If you go a bit north of Boston to Cape Ann, there are some excellent shore diving opportunities. I'm particularly fond of Old Garden Beach, and Pebble Beach, Folly Cove, and Cathdral Rocks are also popular spots. It's hard to go wrong up there. There are literally dozens of good shore diving spots, and you're assured of having a sheltered location available regardless of which way the wind is blowing. Here's a rough map:
http://web.mit.edu/scuba-club/www/Images/CapeAnnMap.gif

The Boston Harbor Islands national park offers some great boat diving opportunities in the 30 to 90 foot range, including several interesting wrecks. There's the passenger steamer Romance, the City of Salisbury (which was carrying a cargo of exotic zoo animals), and several others in addition to good scallop diving and interesting bathymetry. I highly recommend Boston Harbor Diving Company (http://www.bostonharbordivingcompany.com/) as a charter operation if that interests you.

There are good dives to be had on the south shore as well, but the beaches that allow access to them generally don't have any provisions for non-resident parking.

I'm less familiar with sites on Cape Cod and points south, but I know Newport, Rhode Island has some good shore dives, with the possibility of seeing juvenile tropical fish in the late summer. Fort Wetherill is a good site if you find yourself down there.

Geoff_T
05-14-2008, 16:27

The Andrea Doria? Why didn't I think of that? Or perhaps we could just drive to Mt. Everest and do that.

Sorry for the confusion, but I was talking about something I could do with the Mrs., that would be a leisurely recreational dive(s), with just one tank strapped to my back. 190 feet is a little deep for me, right now.

Yeah it is for me too but I thought it better to ask there are a lot of great wrecks in new england problem is many of them are deep though it looks like msilva has given you some good leads

SkuaSeptember
05-14-2008, 18:21
Matt gave you some great info, here is another link for some good shore diving.
MIT Scuba Club (http://web.mit.edu/scuba-club/www/Dive_Sites.html)

lovesmexico615
05-15-2008, 14:13
Matt gave you a good map. I really like Cathedral Rocks and Old Garden Beach. Another shop to try is PG Dive in Newton Welcome to PG Dive. Snorkel and Scuba Outfitters. Private Scuba Instruction, PADI classes, Boston Scuba gear,boston snorkel equipment, Newton scuba classes,MA Scuba Equipment (http://www.pgdive.com/)

MSilvia
05-15-2008, 16:01
Good tip Amanda (Have fun in Playa!). I totally forgot to mention dive shops.

You can't go wrong with PG dive. Free air fills, good gear, and even a test pool nearby!

terrillja
05-15-2008, 16:33
Matt gave you a good map. I really like Cathedral Rocks and Old Garden Beach.
One note on cathedral rocks- not for those with weak ankles or those carrying large tanks. Rocky entry/exit which can be exciting at times...

If you want the easy entry/exit, back beach is nice, also it has a lot of parking, which many places on cape ann do not have. Only downside, not too deep, but otherwise a nice site.

lovesmexico615
05-15-2008, 16:34
I can't wait to get down there :smiley20: I'm thinking about heading out with the PG guys Saturday, but I'm not sure they're going. Haven't heard back, but they're supposed to be doing Folly Cove. Hope to see you this summer!

Good tip Amanda (Have fun in Playa!). I totally forgot to mention dive shops.

You can't go wrong with PG dive. Free air fills, good gear, and even a test pool nearby!

MSilvia
05-15-2008, 16:52
I just moved to Cohasset, so I'm planning to try out some of the new sites I can get to with my new beach parking sticker!

terrillja
05-15-2008, 16:59
I just moved to Cohasset, so I'm planning to try out some of the new sites I can get to with my new beach parking sticker!
And you just have to rub it in...

CFDAlden
05-24-2008, 19:56
Lake Champlain has a bunch of old wrecks:

Adventure Trips and Dive Charters at Waterfront Diving Center - Lake Champlain - http://www.WaterfrontDiving.com (http://www.waterfrontdiving.com/adventure.html)

Scuba Diving In Vermont - Victory Sports Dive Shop - Colchester Vermont (http://www.victorysports.net/divevermont/)

Both are the local LDS, and run charters.

MConnelly2
06-03-2008, 10:41
If you go a bit north of Boston to Cape Ann, there are some excellent shore diving opportunities. I'm particularly fond of Old Garden Beach, and Pebble Beach, Folly Cove, and Cathdral Rocks are also popular spots. It's hard to go wrong up there. There are literally dozens of good shore diving spots, and you're assured of having a sheltered location available regardless of which way the wind is blowing. Here's a rough map:

The Boston Harbor Islands national park offers some great boat diving opportunities in the 30 to 90 foot range, including several interesting wrecks. There's the passenger steamer Romance, the City of Salisbury (which was carrying a cargo of exotic zoo animals), and several others in addition to good scallop diving and interesting bathymetry. I highly recommend Boston Harbor Diving Company (http://www.bostonharbordivingcompany.com/) as a charter operation if that interests you.

There are good dives to be had on the south shore as well, but the beaches that allow access to them generally don't have any provisions for non-resident parking.

I'm less familiar with sites on Cape Cod and points south, but I know Newport, Rhode Island has some good shore dives, with the possibility of seeing juvenile tropical fish in the late summer. Fort Wetherill is a good site if you find yourself down there.

Magnolia Rocks - never thought of diving there. That's where I proposed to my wife. Hell of a surge down there, not sure I'd try diving that one without being comfortable getting around in rough water.

MConnelly2
06-03-2008, 10:44
Getting back to the original question, though, there are quite a few wrecks around Nantucket, including at least a half dozen up around Monomoy Island, off Chatham. If you're headed to Nantucket, call Phil Osley at the Sunken Ship. Nantucket's best dive shop, by far and away. Runs trips on the 007 out to the various wrecks.

Rainer
06-03-2008, 10:52

Magnolia Rocks - never thought of diving there. That's where I proposed to my wife. Hell of a surge down there, not sure I'd try diving that one without being comfortable getting around in rough water.

You dive it on calmer days. Same for Cat Rocks. It does take some timing (aligning weather, tides, conditions, and your own movements in and out of the water). I wouldn't recommend it as someone's first Cape Ann dive, but it's very doable for those with some local experience.

terrillja
06-03-2008, 10:55
Folly cove isn't bad at low tide, nice sandy entry and exit, at higher tide there are some rocks to walk over/ around, but still not bad.

Rainer
06-03-2008, 10:59
Folly cove isn't bad at low tide, nice sandy entry and exit, at higher tide there are some rocks to walk over/ around, but still not bad.

Was there this weekend (and Cat Rocks, and the quarry in CT, and...). The usual ankle breakers at Folly have actually been washed out for the past month or so. I've never seen the entry so easy. Definitely a good time to go.

terrillja
06-03-2008, 11:58

Was there this weekend (and Cat Rocks, and the quarry in CT, and...). The usual ankle breakers at Folly have actually been washed out for the past month or so. I've never seen the entry so easy. Definitely a good time to go.
Yeah, nice and sandy, much nicer than even back beach. I went 2 weeks ago, no surge at all, great dive. No big bugs around at that time though.

thor
06-03-2008, 16:42
Does anyone know if there are any dive ops on Block island?

Rainer
06-03-2008, 17:05
Having just checked google, the answer would appear to be 'yes'.

Give it a shot. I hear it's all the rage.

thor
06-03-2008, 17:24
Having just checked google, the answer would appear to be 'yes'.

Give it a shot. I hear it's all the rage.

And the name of one of those ops actually located ON Block Island would be...?

Rainer
06-03-2008, 17:25
I searched: diving block island

thor
06-03-2008, 17:41

So you searched google, and then decided to keep the information to yourself. Nice. Perhaps you are on the wrong forum.

Other than Bottom Dwellers.net, who appears to do primarily salvage and some instruction (not sure if they have a boat, plus they won't return my e-mails) the other dive ops found on google
are NOT located on block island. I already checked google and scubaboard before I posted this. Rainer, perhaps you could share your own experience with dive ops located ON Block Island.

Rainer
06-03-2008, 17:42

So you searched google, and then decided to keep the information to yourself. Nice. Perhaps you are on the wrong forum.

Other than Bottom Dwellers.net, who appears to do primarily salvage and some instruction (not sure if they have a boat, plus they won't return my e-mails) the other dive ops found on google
are NOT located on block island. I already checked google and scubaboard before I posted this. Rainer, perhaps you could share your own experience with dive ops located ON Block Island.

I'm proud of you. The first returned google hit was for an operator ON BI. Imagine that! Don't you feel special now? It's nice knowing people take the time to at least attempt a search on their own before posting...

That appears to be it. Sorry, bub.

thor
06-03-2008, 17:49

I'm proud of you. The first returned google hit was for an operator ON BI. Imagine that! Don't you feel special now?

Sorry to confuse you Rainer. Let me rephrase the question.

Is there anyone that has any personal knowledge (not google) or experience with a dive operator, whom they recommend, and who is actually located ON Block Island?

Rainer
06-03-2008, 17:54

I'm proud of you. The first returned google hit was for an operator ON BI. Imagine that! Don't you feel special now?

Sorry to confuse you Rainer.

It's ok. When you fail to actually ask the question you intended, these things can happen. Glad you've figured out what you wanted to ask, though.

As far as I know, there are no other operators on the island. For diving OFF of BI, the best local boat is the Canned Air.

thor
06-03-2008, 18:06

It's ok. When you fail to actually ask the question you intended, these things can happen. Glad you've figured out what you wanted to ask, though.

As far as I know, there are no other operators on the island. For diving OFF of BI, the best local boat is the Canned Air.

Yes I fully understand. I have children that take everything literally as well.
Where does the Canned Air leave from? (or do I have to look that up on google also)

Rainer
06-03-2008, 18:09

Where does the Canned Air leave from? (or do I have to look that up on google also)

Have your kids show you how to use the internet. Sometimes you can't teach old dogs new tricks.

thor
06-03-2008, 18:18

Have your kids show you how to use the internet. Sometimes you can't teach old dogs new tricks.

That's funny, I thought we were on the internet.

Is there anyone who would like to give constructive answers to my questions regarding Block Island? I want to thank everyone who have already given me some great suggestions around the Cape area.