PDA

View Full Version : ~Purists"~

coral cowgirl
05-14-2008, 16:52
Not being a spearfisher myself, I'm wondering....

it's been implied in our area that "real" spearfishers are free-divers...any thoughts on that?:smilie40:

ratown
05-14-2008, 16:56
A friend of mine will only spearfish freediving and another guy I know spearfishes commercially on scuba gear. You can't help but think that you have quite the advantage over the fish with scuba and when you kill a big fish holding your breath, it feels much more gratifying. But the guy I know who commercially fishes with scuba gear goes down 200' where it is impossible to free dive. Interesting thread. I am interested in what some more advanced spearfishermen/women have to say.

DOWNDEEP73
05-14-2008, 16:57
Everyone has their own opinions!
I do not believe that statement is true at all.
Some people think that just because that's the way they do things....then it must be the only right way.
Tell them to come to the murky waters and free-dive where I hunt. They can do it sure....but how long before they get caught up on a snag from a submerged tree, or even better someone's trot line.

MSilvia
05-14-2008, 17:02
My thought is that I'm not particularly interested in what some people imply "real" spearfishermen do.

However, in my experience, open circuit scuba broadcasts your presence to fish and makes it harder to approach them.

As I see it, scuba gives you a spearfishing advantage over freedivers in the same sense that a running ATV gives you a deer hunting advantage over someone on foot. Yeah, you can get there easier, but there won't be as much to shoot at as there would be if you quietly blended in with the scenery.

Spearfishing on a rebreather might be a different story.

ratown
05-14-2008, 17:04
My thought is that I'm not particularly interested in what some people imply "real" spearfishermen do.

However, in my experience, open circuit scuba broadcasts your presence to fish and makes it harder to approach them.

It gives you a spearfishing advantage over freedivers in the same sense that an ATV gives you a deer hunting advantage over someone on foot. Yeah, you can get there easier, but there won't be as much to shoot at.

True, a lot of free divers go down in full camo, making themselves close to invisible to the fish... unless the camo wetsuits are a marketing ploy? I won't ever wear one. But analyze this: Does it take more training to be able to hold your breath for long periods of time and spear a fish than scuba diving and spearing a fish?

ratown
05-14-2008, 17:05
...and this is assuming you are in free divable depths. There are certain depths you just cannot free dive and therefore that makes spearfishing on scuba the only way.

MSilvia
05-14-2008, 17:08
Does it take more training to be able to hold your breath for long periods of time and spear a fish than scuba diving and spearing a fish?
I don't know about training, but it certainly takes a lot more conditioning. I won't argue that freedivers are generally in excellent condition and work hard for it.

I fail to see what that has to do with it though. It no more makes the case that freediving is the only "real" way to spearfish than that freediving is the only "real" way to dive. It's a way, and a good way, but not the only way.

If I go for a dive and come back with a fish that I speared, the fish isn't any less "real" if I took it on scuba.

ratown
05-14-2008, 17:10
I guess I interpreted that statement differently. I saw it as man-talk for freedive spearing is cooler and harder than scuba spearfishing.

MSilvia
05-14-2008, 17:11
I saw it as man-talk for freedive spearing is cooler and harder than scuba spearfishing.
In that case, spear guns are for dandies. REAL underwater hunters use a knife. :smiley2:

ratown
05-14-2008, 17:18
Or bare hands like Manny Puig!

coral cowgirl
05-15-2008, 19:17
I guess I interpreted that statement differently. I saw it as man-talk for freedive spearing is cooler and harder than scuba spearfishing.

Splitlip
05-15-2008, 20:15
Or bare hands like Manny Puig!
Manny IS the man.

You from Boca ratown? I have family in the Keys.

ratown
05-15-2008, 20:17
I go to school in Boca Ratown and I am from Fote Myas.

DiverMAN
05-15-2008, 20:20
I go to school in Boca Ratown and I am from Fote Myas.

Dude, I'm from Fort Myers and I go to school in Boca too... small world...

Splitlip
05-15-2008, 20:25
FAU guys?

A lot of people don't know who Manny is. If your form SoFla you do, particularly the Keys.

Actually, suppose if you say "Sharkman" different story.

DiverMAN
05-15-2008, 20:29
yeah, i go to fau. i first heard of Manny when he had that tv show called Extreme Encounters, with manny mark and megan. Have you seen his new movie Ultimate Predator?

ratown
05-15-2008, 20:30
He is the ultimate spearfisher and he only uses a pole spear. That is a real spearfisherman if you are going to divide them up like that.

Splitlip
05-15-2008, 20:34
No. Haven't seen it. I try and catch anything of his that comes up.
Some You tube vids out there.

Splitlip
05-15-2008, 20:34
He is the ultimate spearfisher and he only uses a pole spear. That is a real spearfisherman if you are going to divide them up like that.

YouTube - Manny Puig Pole Spear (http://youtube.com/watch?v=67RcBDHjRI4&feature=related)

ratown
05-15-2008, 21:17
Back to the subject... I was just kidding about the Manny guy ,all though, he is way cool.

Let me elaborate on the guy I was talking about earlier. He scuba dives 250' for Cobia commercially, and sometimes when he catches one, he has to hide it in a wreck so bullsharks don't grab it. That is extremely ballsy and could be considered way more badass than swimming down 60' on a breath hold and shooting an 11" hogfish...lol So I believe you cannot really call one or the other better because there is a time and place for both.

Geoff_T
05-15-2008, 21:23
now I remember this guy. I seem to recall seeing him years ago and thinking that he would end up like the croc hunter. That is to say tragic accident on land (out of his element) Did you see the other clip where he was wrestling the gattor

ratown
05-15-2008, 21:26
now I remember this guy. I seem to recall seeing him years ago and thinking that he would end up like the croc hunter. That is to say tragic accident on land (out of his element) Did you see the other clip where he was wrestling the gattor

Ya, I figured his career would be big like the croc hunter's, but the only place on TV I usually see him on is Jackass and Wildboyz. The gator clip is killer. There was also another one of him getting grabbed by a Jewfish while freediving. He just swam to the top slowly. It was crazay.

Splitlip
05-15-2008, 21:47
check out these Cobia shots.
YouTube - Shark Tales Report 5-9-08 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_JrUMlDlWk)

DiverMAN
05-15-2008, 21:50
They got some good videos. I've probably seen every single video of theirs...

ratown
05-16-2008, 17:53
Ya, the sharktales videos are worth watching. Some great stuff. I cannot believe they shoot them off of sharks.

cmburch
05-17-2008, 01:47
I mainly freedive. Women and men that spearfish both freedive and use SCUBA, also use pole spears and spearguns. Spearos are selective and have less impact on the environment. For example someone fishing with a fishing pole may catch 10 fish, but only keep 5 because the others are the wrong species or not the right size. The 5 that are thrown back may have a low survival rate due to trauma from being pulled up from deep depths. Can you imagine a boat load of 30 line fishermen all bringing in their limit of ten, but releasing 10 that they did not want = up to 300 unwanted or undersized fish -90% mortality for the day of deep sea fishing comes to 270 wasted fish for that one boat. Fish that did not need to die. A spearo sees the legal size fish that he/she wants and spears it. It is easier to freedive spearfish certain species that are afraid of the noise that SCUBA makes.

mulefeathers
05-21-2008, 08:47
I have done both freedive and scuba while spearfishing. The deepest I have ever been freediving is around 35 - 40 feet. For me at this depth it does not give me a lot of time to choose the fish. See one you like shoot surface. I prefer SCUBA I have more time to select the fish. Some times we simply remove the fish from the spear and place on a stringer and never surface. If we have someone not diving on the boat we will suspend a line overboard attach the fish to that and have the person on board pull up the fish. My next goal to pole spear flounders in shallow waters around 15- 20 feet.

longtailbda
06-07-2008, 10:10
I think that there are definite advantages to spearing using scuba, for both the diver and fish species in general. The diver can be more selective in what they take by allowing more time for each shot.

dive10killer
06-09-2008, 22:08
Not being a spearfisher myself, I'm wondering....

it's been implied in our area that "real" spearfishers are free-divers...any thoughts on that?:smilie40:
It figures!
Just like anything else.
Strictly bowhunters think thay are better than rifle hunters.
Bass fisherman think they are better than catfish fisherman.
Cops think they are better than firemen.
Firemen think they are better than cops.
People with BP/w think they are better than divers with Back inflates.
IT NEVER ENDS!