PDA

View Full Version : Diving with contact lenses

*Merlin*
05-15-2008, 11:53
I went for my eye appointment yesterday and decided to go for contacts. My sight at distances is not to bad but the day-date function of my watch as well as text messaging on my cell phone have been useles items to me for some time now. I am exited about getting back to being able to see up close again without a pair of cheaters on my nose. I did a search and found a thread where everyone agreed to carry an extra pair of lenses but no one mentioned any issues related to diving with contacts. So to all the contact wearers, how about it. Do you do anything different? Are there any extra steps you take before you dive? After the dive?
And if you don't mind what type of lens do you wear and why? Does salt water bother them? If they become bothersome or painful can you ditch them under water? I guess that sounds dumb but the only thing I realy know about contacts is they go in your eye.

julz
05-15-2008, 11:57
i wear soft lenses that i change every 3 months i've never wore them in salt water but i wear them them the rest of the time and they don't bother me just bring moisturizing drops for after the dive because mine feel dry when i get out of the water

TRACI
05-15-2008, 12:11
I do every dive wearing my contacts, never had any problems, nor have I ever lost any contacts while diving. I usually just keep some moisture drops in my dive box to use after diving.

Defman
05-15-2008, 12:19
Dive in mine all of the time, no problems ever, and I don't do anything different. No worries about the salt water, it's natures saline!

mm_dm
05-15-2008, 12:24
I've been diving with contacts for years and haven't had any problems. I wear the ones that you change out monthly and so far haven't lost any. I always bring and extra pair along just in case. If you get water in your eye, maybe from some that leaked into your mask, it doesn't feel any different than when you're not wearing lenses. I also carry some moisture
drops for after the dive.

coyote
05-15-2008, 12:29
I never had a problem with mine.

YamilR
05-15-2008, 12:29
I wore glasses and contacts for 13 years till I got my Lasik done, been 5 years and still perfect vision

dallasdivergirl
05-15-2008, 12:38
I wear ACUVUE Advance for Astigmatismcontacts for vision correction. They have silicone in them to keep them hydrated. they are super comfortable. I have been wearing contacts since I was 7th grade and I have had issues before with getting my vision correction being spot on due to my nearsightedness and the strength of my astigmatism.

Do not be afraid to tell the doctor that something doesn't work and if you can try a different lens.

DUnder
05-15-2008, 12:57
Never had any problem diving with my soft contacts, replace them monthly. As the other have said use rewetting drops if they feel dry.

matt151617
05-15-2008, 13:11
I'd wear them during dives, but not during class. They seem to pop out when someone's mask floods all the time.

CompuDude
05-15-2008, 14:41
I've worn them while diving and found them more comfortable than I thought they'd be. The completely still, warm air in the mask is very easy on contacts.

That said, I really don't like wearing contacts in general, so I prefer using a prescription mask and glasses (topside) to contacts.

If contacts are your thing, though, it's no big deal to use them while diving. You may want to be extra careful with cleaning, especially if you're diving fresh water or contaminated water. And be careful about opening your eyes if your mask floods... you may or may not lose a lens (based on reports I've heard... I never had a flood the few times I wore contacts diving). Opening your eyes just to a slit may help keep them in if you do need to open your eyes underwater.

fkostyun
05-15-2008, 14:46
I haven't lost a set yet - I typically don't bother in the pool or local lake - but, when I am diving I always take an extra set with me - as I also don't want to lose them. I also keep the rewetting drops in the mask box also - I don't always need them, but, it is nice to have them ready.

cudachaser
05-20-2008, 07:45
I wear contacts all the time, in the pool, ocean, etc. I'm an instructor so I'm constantly demo'ing mask clearing to my students. The contacts won't come out if I squint my eyes while doing the the demos. Never lost a contact in any diving activity...I don't even think about them anymore. I do nothing special after a dive either

Martin2
05-20-2008, 12:59
I wear contacts for everything and take no special precautions while diving. For someone new to wearing contacts and not yet as comfortable with them, I would probably second several of the suggestions previously made. Eye drops certainly wouldn't hurt nor would a spare pair of contacts. Most importantly, be certain you settle on a brand that is comfortable. There are tons of options out there, so don't be hesitant to ask your doctor for a few trial pairs from different brands.

obrules15
05-20-2008, 13:26
I dive with Purevision monthly disposables, no problems and I don't do anything different I am just very protective of my mask when diving with other groups.

chinacat46
05-20-2008, 13:50
I wore contacts for over 7 years while diving and never had a problem. Then I got lasik and no more contacts. Yipeee!

heydn62
05-20-2008, 13:57
I wearglasses most of the time, but I do wear contacts when I'm in or around the water. For me, contacts are always a bit irritating. Not horrible, but I'm always aware that they are in my eyes, and I'm more sensitive to light. They've worked well, though when I've been diving or snorkeling. I did lose one during my endurance swim when getting certified and had to spend the rest of the class with unequal vision. Other than that, no problems.

thmoose51
05-20-2008, 15:52
I also have been wearing soft contacts while diving for years with no issues. I recently discovered that in pools that use a salt system that even if I open my eyes underwater it doesn't really effect my contacts.

I also need reading glasses now and I use the plastic inserts in my mask for reading my gauges.

comet24
05-20-2008, 15:59
I wear disposable ones that are supposed to be changed every two weeks. I have had very few problems with them in and around the water. This includes working as a lifeguard for many years when I was younger. Most problems I encountered are getting splashed in the eyes or water running down my face. I alway try to have an extra pair with me when I am around the water just in case.

Martin2
05-20-2008, 18:31
I will add that some people (myself included) seem more sensitive to the sun with contacts. Won't make a difference underwater, but you may want to have a couple pair of cheap sunglasses for the surface interval. Just a thought.

hooligan
05-20-2008, 20:49
I use ProClear Toric soft contacts. I've always worn them diving. Never had one come out, and I sometimes open my eyes under water (pool, fresh and salt) without a mask on . That being said, I still keep an extra pair around and some rewetting drops.

Madmax1997
05-20-2008, 21:03
I Keep 1 pair just in case of a bad luck... otherwise never got a problem with them, diving or not.

I usually lose them when I remove them and don't have the moisturizing drops with me.

DIdiver
05-21-2008, 05:12
I have been wearing them for years. I have really bad eyesite and I am usually the one driving the boat, so I always keep extras around. I have never lost any diving though.

I now wear O2 Optix. I have worn Acuvue in the past. I tried the Acuvue2 but they were not comfortable for me. The different brands really do feel different.

Subaqua
05-21-2008, 06:04
I wear soft contacts and never had problems. I use the one that need to change every month. Always bring an extra pair, just in case I loose one and drops in case my eye would be dry after a dive, but never needed to use them

CamaroChick
05-21-2008, 07:25
I wear toric soft lenses (changed annually) while diving and snorkeling, and so far haven't had any problems with the salt water. I just make sure to have some eye drops handy :smiley1:

Byte Me
05-21-2008, 08:06
Never an issue w/ my accuview lenses. I don't sleep in them and bring an extra pair just in case because it would sure suck to lose or rip one and not be able to focus underwater. I'm functional without them but only to the point where I wouldn't run in to things! The only issue I could see is if I got my mask knocked off I'd have to keep my eyes closed so I wouldn't lose a contact with my eyes open.

I'm very much looking forward to Lasik if I ever remember to put that amount in my flex spending account!

Dieseler
05-21-2008, 23:58
All my dives have been in contacts and never had an issue. Even during cert doing mask floods.

Keeping a spare set and some drops is probably a good idea though

elijahb
05-22-2008, 05:42
I never had a problem with mine.
I have heard the same from many people. I have 20/20 vision so I can't tell you what my personal experience is.

gthomas
05-22-2008, 13:03
Never had any problems. My eyes burn when mask leaks in salt water, but my guess is thats with every one. Never lost a lense yet.

JTSeamans
09-26-2009, 15:53
An optician warned of diving with contacts below 30 feet. Anyone had trouble at greater depths? My dives typically take me to as much as 100 feet.

Soonerwink
09-26-2009, 17:26
An optician warned of diving with contacts below 30 feet. Anyone had trouble at greater depths? My dives typically take me to as much as 100 feet.
I have dove down to 120' and several dives over 100' and never had any trouble. What was the reasoning of the warning?

Diver Kat
09-26-2009, 19:59
An optician warned of diving with contacts below 30 feet. Anyone had trouble at greater depths? My dives typically take me to as much as 100 feet.Been diving with contacts 7 years, been down to 130, and have quite a few at 100 or more .... never had any problems. Maybe it has to do with what type contacts??

JTSeamans
09-26-2009, 20:36
There was some thought that greater depths would cause tightening of the contact around the cornea, so I surmised, not sure the optiician was all that familiar with diving and sided with another diver in the store. Personally, I have dove to 90' with contacts but had some redness persisting for a couple of days and wondered about infections. Am on the fence about buying a prescription mask. Must admit it is a bit nervewracking at times to clear the flooded mask. Thanks for responding!

Okc_diver
09-27-2009, 11:12
I had lasix done a few years ago (the best 1900.00 I ever spent) and no problems. Been wearing glasses since 8th grade then went to contacts in my 20's, developed an allergic reaction to the contacts was told to go back to glasses.

Tekdivr
09-27-2009, 13:04
An optician warned of diving with contacts below 30 feet. Anyone had trouble at greater depths? My dives typically take me to as much as 100 feet.Been diving with contacts 7 years, been down to 130, and have quite a few at 100 or more .... never had any problems. Maybe it has to do with what type contacts??

Been diving with contacts for 13 years to depth of around 250' with no problems. If masked has to be removed, for any reason, a serious squint has to be used to keep them in your head. I always travel with a spare set just in case.

Diver Kat
09-27-2009, 14:45

Been diving with contacts for 13 years to depth of around 250' with no problems. If masked has to be removed, for any reason, a serious squint has to be used to keep them in your head. I always travel with a spare set just in case.Yup ... I also swim with my contacts in, so I got pretty good at the 'keep them in' squint. Discovered that going off a diving board isn't a good thing - they roll back in your eye socket, and it's a pain to get them back in place. And no matter what I'm doing, I usually have a spare pair with me ...

CompuDude
09-27-2009, 18:49

Considering how many divers wear contacts every day with dives well over 100', I think your optician is very uninformed, and is just guessing... wrongly, as it turns out.

comet24
09-27-2009, 19:04

I am not a doctor.

I wear contacts and have dived below 100' many many times without an issue.

My only issue ever with contacts and water is getting splashed in the face or water running down my face without a mask. If water runs over my eye when open it have moved a contact. This has happened very infrequent considering how much time I used to spend around the water.

Caribe_fanatic
03-08-2010, 03:18
Quick question:
I've completed my elearning as an OW diver and am planning to finish cert. with dive company in Belize this March. Isn't there a proficiency exercise I must demo regarding mask submersion (mask ~water evacuation)? If so, that's gonna' be funky with contacts in (?). I suppose I can keep my eyes closed during, right?
Thanx in Advance~

P.S.: just wanted to mention how absolutely helpful the computerized table tutor is (was) in helping me get through the elearning quizzes, I'm still practicing with it, super software idea!

Diver Kat
03-08-2010, 13:26
Quick question:
I've completed my elearning as an OW diver and am planning to finish cert. with dive company in Belize this March. Isn't there a proficiency exercise I must demo regarding mask submersion (mask ~water evacuation)? If so, that's gonna' be funky with contacts in (?). I suppose I can keep my eyes closed during, right?
Thanx in Advance~

P.S.: just wanted to mention how absolutely helpful the computerized table tutor is (was) in helping me get through the elearning quizzes, I'm still practicing with it, super software idea!
I did my cert with contacts in.For the mask off/on clearing drill I closed me eyes. My instructor just taped me on the arm when I put the mask back on and had cleared it enough so that the water level was below my eyes and I could open them

TwIsTeD
03-08-2010, 16:20
I did my cert with contacts in.For the mask off/on clearing drill I closed me eyes. My instructor just taped me on the arm when I put the mask back on and had cleared it enough so that the water level was below my eyes and I could open them

I did the same thing. Not such a big deal. I got my mask knocked off once underwater and did the contact squint, it was almost reactionary instead of a thought of mine. My eyes were red after that dive and I tossed my contacts as a precautionary measure. I carry as many contacts as days I plan on diving.

PhD4JC
03-20-2010, 12:23
I switched to contacts so I can dive.

I'm supposed to change them every 2 weeks, however you can tell when it's time to change them. Typically when you put them in your eyes you cannot feel them, when you feel them if there's nothing in them by mistake, then it's time to change them.

Never had any mishaps while diving, but I bring an extra pair in case I rub my eyes (from the salt) and rub them out my mistake, or if it's really windy on the boat, the wind can dry out the lenses and make them pop out by themselves.

seasport22
04-06-2010, 14:39
+1 for the Acuvue advance-been wearing them for years and no issues while diving. I do have excessively dry eyes, and these have not had an issue while diving or otherwise. I do avoid opening my eyes deliberately such as if a mask floods, drills/class. Otherwise, have not had any issues and I too keep moisturizing drops handy for after the dive.

cam
04-07-2010, 07:11
I have soft contacts and I haven't lost a contact from diving yet...pool or open water, fresh or salt water. The comfort in the water with soft contacts is fine for me but I grew up wearing the old hard lenses. So in comparison to those old clunkers I could probably have a whole tree branch stuck on my eye and it wouldn't phase me.

If you're worried about function, that's a choice you have to make. If you mask is flooded or off your face...don't open your eyes until you get it back on and cleared. :)

I figure my odds of losing a lense on a recreational dive are very low and even 50/50 when you factor in both eyes. If I lose one lense I still have the other "good" eye to see out of. Regardless, the loss of a lense probably means it's time to stop looking at pretty fish and I'm going to end my dive and begin my ascent. My vision is good enough uncorrected that I can still see my SPG readings if I hold it up to my face and good enough to make out the blurry blob of my buddy.

Scubashine
04-07-2010, 07:21
I have soft contacts and I haven't lost a contact from diving yet...pool or open water, fresh or salt water. The comfort in the water with soft contacts is fine for me but I grew up wearing the old hard lenses. So in comparison to those old clunkers I could probably have a whole tree branch stuck on my eye and it wouldn't phase me.

If you're worried about function, that's a choice you have to make. If you mask is flooded or off your face...don't open your eyes until you get it back on and cleared. :)

I figure my odds of losing a lense on a recreational dive are very low and even 50/50 when you factor in both eyes. If I lose one lense I still have the other "good" eye to see out of. Regardless, the loss of a lense probably means it's time to stop looking at pretty fish and I'm going to end my dive and begin my ascent. My vision is good enough uncorrected that I can still see my SPG readings if I hold it up to my face and good enough to make out the blurry blob of my buddy.

I have been wearing soft contacts for about 25 years. I did lose one during a dive in a quarry about an hour from home. My eyesight is -2.50 in both eyes. It was amazing to me that at the surface, I had very noticeable "unequal" vision, but underwater the difference seemed to disappear. I could see perfectly with one lens in and one gone.

I usually carry extra lenses with me, but was on my last pair at the time. The drive home was horrible, though.

Good luck, contact lenses are no more a problem diving than at the surface.:smiley20:

emtdiver
04-08-2010, 21:21
[quote=cam;379841]I usually carry extra lenses with me, but was on my last pair at the time. The drive home was horrible, though.

I have been wearing contacts for about 21 years now & I have never lost a contact during diving. I have had one what I call "Float" (not settle on the eye) after clearing some water from my mask. That made the rest of my dive difficult. I absolutely recommend bringing a pair of glasses with you wherever you dive due to the fact that you never know what's going to happen to your eyes. I've had water that irritated my eyes & my contacts just hurt so bad that I couldn't even stand putting a new pair in. I drive almost 3 hours away to dive quarries & I have to get back home. If all else fails I just put the contacts up & get the old glasses out. :glasses:

Skinsfan1311
04-11-2010, 04:40
[quote=cam;379841]I usually carry extra lenses with me, but was on my last pair at the time. The drive home was horrible, though.

I have been wearing contacts for about 21 years now & I have never lost a contact during diving. I have had one what I call "Float" (not settle on the eye) after clearing some water from my mask. That made the rest of my dive difficult. I absolutely recommend bringing a pair of glasses with you wherever you dive due to the fact that you never know what's going to happen to your eyes. I've had water that irritated my eyes & my contacts just hurt so bad that I couldn't even stand putting a new pair in. I drive almost 3 hours away to dive quarries & I have to get back home. If all else fails I just put the contacts up & get the old glasses out. :glasses:

+1

I've never lost one, or had one "float" but the glasses as a backup is a great idea.

josh7284
05-04-2010, 07:57
Each dive that I have ever done has been with my soft contact lenses in. I wear acuvue advance and I can usally open my eyes underwater with the salt and it does not bother them. I have never had to ditch them underwater but I am sure that you could.