PDA

View Full Version : What's a good base layer?

WC46
05-15-2008, 15:14
Will be diving a new Dui TLS 350 with a Dui Polartec Powerstretch undergarment, 7mm hendersen gloves, and a 7mm Hendersen Gold Core hood. What would be a good base layer for this set up? Looked at some of the polypropylene on ebay but a little skeptical about the off brands. Water temps in the 48 degree range and Inget cold pretty easily

CompuDude
05-15-2008, 15:47
Base layer? It's hard to beat Patagonia Capilene, Level 4 is warmest.

With just that and powerstretch undergarment, though, at 48 degrees you're not likely to be very warm. I suspect you'll end up needing something more substantial than the powerstretch for the main insulating layer.

MSilvia
05-15-2008, 15:51
I don't use a base layer with my undergarment, unless you count boxer briefs and wool ski socks.

CompuDude
05-15-2008, 16:11
I don't use a base layer with my undergarment, unless you count boxer briefs and wool ski socks.

You must launder your undergarments a lot. I hope!

MSilvia
05-15-2008, 16:55
Every 5 dives or so I give them a rinse, and every third rinse they get laundered... or more often if they get really stinky, or if I have a p-valve malfunction.

terrillja
05-15-2008, 17:01
With the midweight Hot Chillys and my BARE T-100, I can handle most anything. The Hot Chillys also do double duty as my ski layers.

a_siren
05-15-2008, 17:41
I did an AOW/Dry Suit combo class (6 dives over 2 days) in Weezle Extreme undergarment I thankfully purchased. I don't mean to sound un-ladylike, but that thing was completely rank and sweaty at the end of each day of diving. And no, I didn't wash it in between day 1 and day 2, but it *really* needed washing after that. I wore a bathing suit and wool socks under it. The rental drysuit I was using was leaking like a sieve which really didn't help matters much. The Weezle survived the washing very well.

huvrr
05-15-2008, 18:40
can't beat the weezle

CompuDude
05-15-2008, 18:52
Weezle isn't an underlayer/base layer, it's a main insulating layer.

Ideally, a wicking base layer should be worn underneath the main layer, both to move moisture away from your skin, where it makes you cold, and to help keep your main base layer a little cleaner.

Chad
05-15-2008, 22:01
I second the Capilene. Great stuff!

cummings66
05-16-2008, 06:41
I use a fleece under garment for my base layer. It helps keep the main outer garment clean. Thinsulate really should be washed as few times as possible so I always have that under layer. It gets all sweaty leaving the other one mostly clean.

huvrr
05-17-2008, 03:56
I like the patagonia silk weights myself they are very thin.

MSilvia
05-19-2008, 11:19
Weezle isn't an underlayer/base layer, it's a main insulating layer.

Ideally, a wicking base layer should be worn underneath the main layer, both to move moisture away from your skin, where it makes you cold, and to help keep your main base layer a little cleaner.
That may be true for fleece (or other single layer) undies, but the Weezle is a multiple layer suit (http://www.weezle.co.uk/info/suit_technical_specification.htm), with a TS1 sueded poly wicking layer built in. That's why I don't wear much of anything under mine. From their web site FAQ:

What should I wear underneath it?

Nothing, or as little as you are comfortable wearing. The wicking properties of the suit work best when in direct contact with the skin. Any layers between the skin and The Weezle inner wicking layer need to be of excellent wicking property themselves so as not to hinder the removal of perspiration from the skin.

CompuDude
05-20-2008, 00:12
Nifty. :)

Is that the case with all weezles, or just the specific model you have?

Personally (and I say this having never used one), I think I prefer multiple layers, from a washing standpoint.