PDA

View Full Version : wetsuits for women

saltwater newbie
08-05-2007, 19:15
thanks Larry -- now that my boyfriend has officially called me out ...can anyone tell me whether there is a wetsuit that shaves 10 pounds off my butt??? Ok...seriously, I am a newbie and I am struggling with the wetsuit purchase. Are the women's wetsuits truly a better fit for women or does it really matter? I am also trying to figure out what mill to get as a starter suit. We are diving in the keys in mid october but my guess is that the majority of rest of my dives will be primarily in the caribbean. I am not a cold blooded person. ....and about that dive toe nail polish.....????

dallasdivergirl
08-05-2007, 19:23
i am a total warm water wuss & i normally wear a 3 mil shorty with short or long sleeves. i was in roatan in October and i was pretty warm.

i am totally lost with the dive toe nail polish. i do get a good pedicure right before i leave and put on 3 or 4 coats of clear & i never have problems.

saltwater newbie
08-05-2007, 19:32
thanks for the response - this forum started at the request of my boyfriend because he was tired of trying to answer my girl body questions from his male body perspective.....the nail polish comment started out as joke, but I appreciate the tip all the same.

I see you are from Illinois. Have you ever been to the Superman festival in metropolis (I think that is in Illinois...or heck, maybe it is Ohio...)

Have you ever tried the front zip wetsuits? how about a farmer jane?

Athena2c
08-05-2007, 19:33
I would say that you do want the women's wetsuit-it does make a difference.
I've been very comfortable with a 1/2 or 1mm suit for the April/May Caribbean diving I've done, but am opting for a 3mm for the Bahamas liveaboard in January.

I don't know about dive toe nail polish, but I did get a dive flag pedicure for my wedding last year-a barefoot on the beach affair. It was a special request from hubby
:smiley4:

cutter77
08-05-2007, 19:35
My long sleeved 3mm shorty has been just the right weight for our Caribbean trips. It's easy to get in and out of too.

saltwater newbie
08-05-2007, 19:39
What about farmer janes (bib only) with a rash guard or a jacket? what about front zip wetsuits? Good? :smiley20: Bad? :smiley21:

Hey Larry, why don't you carry any 3 mil farmers?

dallasdivergirl
08-05-2007, 19:53
I got a 5 mil full wetsuit with hood and front zip. very easy to get in & out of. my shorty is a back zip & it's a pain to not zip my hair up in it. I have never tried on a famer jane.

my 5 mil is a mares & it fits great. i can't wait to try it out.

salt water newbie i don't know if you were talking to me about living in IL but i live in Fort Worth, TX

Athena2c
08-05-2007, 20:00
I prefer front zip when I get it. They don't make a lot of suits with the front zip unfortunately.
I used a farmer jane for my certification classes and hated it. I really like the full suits.

pjm1128
08-05-2007, 20:11
thanks Larry -- now that my boyfriend has officially called me out ...can anyone tell me whether there is a wetsuit that shaves 10 pounds off my butt??? Ok...seriously, I am a newbie and I am struggling with the wetsuit purchase. Are the women's wetsuits truly a better fit for women or does it really matter? I am also trying to figure out what mill to get as a starter suit. We are diving in the keys in mid october but my guess is that the majority of rest of my dives will be primarily in the caribbean. I am not a cold blooded person. ....and about that dive toe nail polish.....????

My suggestion would be to try various thickness suits and styles (maybe renting?) before you sink the money into a wetsuit. I *know* I get cold easily, so usually end up wearing more suit than anybody else in my group, but diving cold is NO FUN, as well as less safe. You kinda have to learn what works for you and can't always go by what others do, or the temp recommendations for a particular gauge wetsuit. I got back from the Bahamas a week ago and dove in a skin while most of the others in my group dove in swimsuits. Water temp was 87 degrees. I was more than warm enough in my skin, but wore it primarily for protection from inadvertent brushes with coral and various stinging critters. For night dives I wore a 3 mm full suit comfortably. When I dive in Maui, I usually wear a 7 mm full wetsuit for water temps in the low to mid 70's during the Winter, while other people might be diving in 3 mm's. It all depends on you, and how easily you get cold.

Pat in MI

saltwater newbie
08-05-2007, 20:13
why did you hate the farmer? I am trying to figure out a way to get a two piece suit that can be a 2 or 3 mil farmer with a rash guard for warmer water and a jacket for colder water.

have you ever had a custom suit made?

saltwater newbie
08-05-2007, 20:14
sorry - i was talking to you - I have no idea why I thought you lived in Illinois...

Cheddarchick
08-06-2007, 05:53
Yup, women's suits suck, they don't understand that all girls are not Jessica Alba. Real women have curves, and arms with muscle. Make sure the one you get has zipppers on the arms and legs. And get a dive skin for making it easy to get on and off...

tx.lakerat
08-06-2007, 07:48
I use a henderson hyperstretch 3mil for a carb. diving as your core body heat starts to drop once you start to multiple dives. and I've never had a problem. Might start off slightly warm in the beginning but by the end of the week I get chills when dropping at depth..

texgal@heart
08-06-2007, 09:12
I'd really like to see a wetsuit for us gals that are larger that the size14 or 16, have real curves. I haven't found one yet. Can't afford a custom yet either.

Debraw
08-06-2007, 10:16
Check Henderson's new hyperstretch wetsuit line in plus sizes. They are not listed on the website yet, but they are available. They go by WP1, WP2, etc. Sizes 16-22. Call Scubatoys and see if they can order you one. They are worth it!

texgal@heart
08-06-2007, 11:15
Thanks, I'll be in the Dallas area this weekend and Scubatoys is definitely one of my 1st stops.

lucidblue
08-06-2007, 15:52
I prefer front zip when I get it. They don't make a lot of suits with the front zip unfortunately.
I used a farmer jane for my certification classes and hated it. I really like the full suits.

I used the farmer jane for my cert class too and absolutely hated it. Right now I have a 7mm full Aqualung Flex suit. I had a really hard time finding a 7mm suit that would fit. Both Henderson and Bare just didn't fit right at all.

For warm water I ordered a 3mm Pinnacle shorty. We'll see how it fits.

Not sure why I have such issues with fit. I don't have an odd shape or anything and I'm pretty small (size 2-4 in regular clothes), might have more muscle than some women. I don't have issues with regular clothing, so not sure why I had such issues with wetsuits.

Liv7301
08-06-2007, 23:52
I am a size 22 and have found that for some reason many wetsuit manufacturers are convinced that "big girls don't dive." I was having a hard time finding a full 3mm and ended up getting a Bare Progressive Stretch in a men's 2XL Short. I am 5'4" and it's just about right...there is still a touch extra in the arms and legs but not enough for me to bother having it shortened.

I am considering getting a 7mm next and I probably am going to do a custom because I am so unhappy with how the thicker neoprene fits. Is it going to be snug, sure. But dang, it shouldn't be torture. So I will be droppping the money for a custom with zips.

georoc01
08-07-2007, 08:27
BTW, they make the BARE in that same size for a 7MM too. I have both the 7MM and 3MM BARE progressives. Might want to give it a try before the expense of a custom.

MelC
08-07-2007, 09:07
I use a 3mm full hyperstretch which I find really easy to get in and out of notwithstanding the back zip. To "warm" it up I add a 5/3mm hooded vest and that serves me pretty well for all the places I have dove so far - WPB, Florida Keys, Cozumel. I'm off to Roatan in September and I will bring the 3mm but not the hooded vest since I do find repetitive diving gets cold.

Mel

Liv7301
08-07-2007, 09:43
BTW, they make the BARE in that same size for a 7MM too. I have both the 7MM and 3MM BARE progressives. Might want to give it a try before the expense of a custom.

I have tried on both 2xl and 3xl suits in 7mm and had a fairly ugly experience in the dressing room. It was all of my usual problems magnified: difficulty getting the legs up on my big calves, fighting extra leg and arm length because of the size of suit I am having to try on, and some really intense chest/lung squeeze once I actually managed to get it all the way on, which took almost 20 mins. So, if I can avoid all of that with a custom, I will happily open up my wallet.

This all reminds me...

Joe/Larry: Can you guys possibly shoot some air conditioning into those dressing rooms? Trying on wetsuits in there can be murder! I had the mirrors all steamed up and the suit was only up to my knees! Or maybe put in some fans or something? Or, better yet, install a meat locker and trying on 7mm wetsuits will be a breeze. :)

lucidblue
08-07-2007, 10:15

I have tried on both 2xl and 3xl suits in 7mm and had a fairly ugly experience in the dressing room. It was all of my usual problems magnified: difficulty getting the legs up on my big calves, fighting extra leg and arm length because of the size of suit I am having to try on, and some really intense chest/lung squeeze once I actually managed to get it all the way on, which took almost 20 mins. So, if I can avoid all of that with a custom, I will happily open up my wallet.

Chest/lung squeeze was my problem with the Bare and Henderson suits too. Even though I went up more than 1 size beyond what their sizing charts recommended. And believe me I'm not well endowed in that area :smiley36:.

Liv7301
08-07-2007, 11:38
My 3mm that I have now is a Bare and I love it, but it being a 2xl Short it had to be ordered. Then we found out it was back ordered. It took about 3 months to get it but it was worth it and is very comfortable. Totally different story for me though with the 7mm.

Here is a thought: I got a tip from a fellow diver that uses a diluted baby shampoo and water mixture in a spray bottle as a "lube" of sorts to help get on his thicker wetsuits. Apparently it works well for him and also leaves his gear smelling fresh as well! Might have to try this sometime.

silentstone7
08-07-2007, 21:11
Does anyone know of a company that makes wetsuits in long lengths? I rented for my OW dives for certification, but the legs on the farmer jane and the arms on the top were all too short, my gloves were full of cold water and sand, and my boots weren't much better. I buy long jeans, why not long wetsuits?

Liv7301
08-07-2007, 21:19
Compare size charts. From my experience Hendersons seem to run longer. Most manufacturers now offer longs in many of their sizes. You might want to even try mens cut for the extra length.

Mithril
08-16-2007, 06:10
hey! in answer to your question about the suits getting a womens wetsuit- i would never consider anything else! the more poor the fit on your suit the more the water will get in and then youl really feel the cold. Im a fairly new diver and have been renting a women's suit with back zip- i get someone else to help me with the zip and i wear a couple of layers (thermal) underneath because i also really feel the cold, i would only ever invest in a wetsuit of my own if it was custom made- it usually costs about AUD$800 here in Australia but if you dive alot it would be well worth it. Im looking into getting a drysuit now though :smiley2:

Zenagirl
08-16-2007, 20:59
I would say that you do want the women's wetsuit-it does make a difference.
I've been very comfortable with a 1/2 or 1mm suit for the April/May Caribbean diving I've done, but am opting for a 3mm for the Bahamas liveaboard in January.

I don't know about dive toe nail polish, but I did get a dive flag pedicure for my wedding last year-a barefoot on the beach affair. It was a special request from hubby
:smiley4:

I'm coming into this kinda late, but remember that the Bahamas isn't in the Caribbean, it's in the Atlantic and tends to be much colder in the winter than Caribbean islands. We dove Bahamas in January a few years ago and the water was 74 degrees. FAR too cold for a 3mm doing repetitive diving on a liveaboard for me...but you might be fine in a 3mm.

When we did our Belize liveaboard the water was 78-79 degrees all week, but I was so happy to have my 5mm full suit since 4 dives a day really sucks the heat right out of you.

Oh yeah, and I dive in Henderson Hyperstretch suits....very stretchy and conforms well to different body types.

foo
08-17-2007, 21:31
I'm coming into this kinda late, but remember that the Bahamas isn't in the Caribbean, it's in the Atlantic and tends to be much colder in the winter than Caribbean islands.

This is very true. I did a couple of dives in the Bahamas on a one-day cruise stop in February (in a 3mm), and I wrote in my dive log: "a 5mm wetsuit would be perfect".

I usually wear a skin for repetitive dives in the Caribbean, so it is evidently quite a bit colder in the Bahamas. I know I had to add weight after getting in the water. Have fun, it's great diving!

ChrisA
08-17-2007, 23:29
[QUOTE=georoc01;18855] I actually managed to get it all the way on, which took almost 20 mins. So, if I can avoid all of that with a custom, I will happily open up my wallet.

Before you go with the custom wetsuit. Try on a stock drysuit. Dry suits are meant to fit loose and can be very confortable. You can unzip them between dives. The low end of the dry suit price range is near the top end of the custom wetsuit price.

Also, my Bare Tech HD drysuit is serieously out lasting my Body Glove wetsuits. 7mm wetsuits only last a couple hundred dives and then they are not as warm as they were. Compression kills them. But shell type drysuits
don't have this problem, just replace the seals as required.

OK third option. This is the lowest cost: Buy an off the rack suit and have it "customized". They can open a seam and add material or make some other part smaller or add zipper to the legs or "whatever". Cheaper than a full custom suit.

Liv7301
08-18-2007, 01:18
[QUOTE=georoc01;18855] I actually managed to get it all the way on, which took almost 20 mins. So, if I can avoid all of that with a custom, I will happily open up my wallet.

Before you go with the custom wetsuit. Try on a stock drysuit. Dry suits are meant to fit loose and can be very confortable. You can unzip them between dives. The low end of the dry suit price range is near the top end of the custom wetsuit price.

Also, my Bare Tech HD drysuit is serieously out lasting my Body Glove wetsuits. 7mm wetsuits only last a couple hundred dives and then they are not as warm as they were. Compression kills them. But shell type drysuits
don't have this problem, just replace the seals as required.

OK third option. This is the lowest cost: Buy an off the rack suit and have it "customized". They can open a seam and add material or make some other part smaller or add zipper to the legs or "whatever". Cheaper than a full custom suit.

All excellent tips and things I didn't even think of! Thanks! I think for a while I will stick with the wetsuit before getting a dry. I will be completely honest here: I very much value peeing whenever I darn well want...and as pathetic as that sounds it is one of the reasons I haven't put a ton of consideration into drysuits. Sorry if that was Too Much Info for anyone out there.

Cheddarchick
08-18-2007, 09:24
Liv, I found the only way to try on suits and not die a tragic sweat death is to wear a skin for the fittings. Stupid looking, but so much eaiser to get on and off.....Plus it eliminates the arms getting stuck theory and flailing around like a spaz

Liv7301
08-18-2007, 11:33
More excellent advice! I did use a skin for one of my exploits with a 7mm and by the time I was done trying to cram myself into the wetsuit the skin was drenched with sweat. I left it hanging in the changing room to dry rather than putting it back out in the rack right away to "contaminate the stock." The arms getting stuck thing usually isn't too bad for me. I have found with diving that if it is a day that I am the least bit annoyed, frustrated, angry, etc, donning a damp 3mm full becomes that much more dramatic. Sort of like spontaneous PMSing at the wrong time of the month and for a totally different reason. I try really hard though to keep my mouth shut and not whine in the moment.

fox02554
08-19-2007, 06:41
whats wrong with layering wet suits ? we dive in the northeast oct/ nov. i wear a 3mm/5mm full suit and a front zip hooded 3mm shorty on top. i'm cold blooded { i wear the 3mm/5mm when we dive warm water} if it's really cold i throw a skin on too. both suits are womens both from the UK { on-line search} i looked at having one made but they're to expensive. I'm a 16 on top and a 10 on the bottom so nothing fits well in the water or on dry land... haha

scubasdaniel
08-19-2007, 06:52
My girl friend bought a custom Aquaflite Wetsuit and loves it.
http://www.aquaflite.com/

divinandjeeps
08-19-2007, 08:55
I have a seaquest 5/4/3 that I originally purchased 7 years ago and that worked great for all types of diving and I recently pruchased a Hennderson Hyperstretch 5mm and I love it. Keeps me warm in colder water and if I get hot when i am in warmer water, I just open the neck and Voila'.....I am cool!! It fits great and you can move!!

Charlotte Smith
08-19-2007, 09:18
Be your own judge! I have 5 wetsuits because I listened to everyone else! I now have the ones I want and keep hanging on to the others just in case but it is EXPENSIVE! I love my custom made Excel wetsuit but thats just me. It has pockets where I want them and zippers where I want them so be your own judge! Not everyone fits in the suits alike...here in arkansas the lake gets warm so most of the time I just wear a vest with my BC and I save my wetsuits for the deeper dives. My suggestion is to rent some and figure out the one for you......good-luck!

kittyjg
08-20-2007, 18:56
As cheddarchick stated, take a skin with you to try on suits.
And Roo was correct with the Bahamas being farther north than you think. You may be more comfortable with a 5mm if you are going to do several dives a day. A beanie will also be helpful.
For fit, all you can do is try different brands. Some run small, some stretch more than others. I have tried many different brands and am stuck with mens suits because of height. Rent different ones for a while until you can get a feel for the different styles, brands, etc. Buy a skin for yourself so you can get them on. Suits are too expensive to buy one and not like it.

ixrayu
08-20-2007, 20:04
I have a ? abt the wetsuits. Of course the guys with my husband fitted me for my rental wet suit. I hated the stupid thing (other than it did hold my stomach in nicely). Anyway, I swear the wet suit was trying to kill me every dive I did it. I couldn't take a comfortable breath and it was choking me. This is what the guys told me... It is supposed to be that way. You'll get used to it. So ladies... Is this true?!! Or did theu have me in a too small wet suit?

Athena2c
08-20-2007, 20:14
Thanks for the advice about the Bahamas gals! Based on what I know about myself and how warm/cool I am diving (in 50 degree Monterey and 80 degree Caribbean), I think the full 3mm is going to be right for me. But I have considered getting a beanie-I HATE hoods, but can get behind the idea of a beanie
:smiley14:

ixrayu-I don't think your wetsuit fits. You should not be struggling to get a breath or feel like you are choking! Try another one! Even my 7mm full suit doesn't feel like that.

I really like Henderson for being stretchy and comfortable.

Liv7301
08-20-2007, 22:14
ixrayu: I second Athena...sounds like that suit is definitely too small! Is it a close fit? Yes, but it shouldn't be so uncomfortable that you feel like you are choking or can't take a proper breath. Wetsuits aren't in anyway comparative to ladies' clothing sizes. Always best to try it on yourself when possible, and don't be embarassed if you are going up a handful of sizes! All that matters is comfort and a good fit. Perhaps consult different manufacturers fit and sizing charts for more help on measurements, high/weight, and fit.

SouthernSeas
08-21-2007, 06:13
I have a one piece, semi-dry 5.5 mil AquaLung "Balanced Comfort" women's wetsuit. I LOVE it. Fits like a glove.

The fit is great, it looks good -- I would highly recommend it.

JodiBB
08-21-2007, 11:03
As I mainly dive in the cold CA waters, I only have a 7mm Bare Arctic Hooded wetsuit. I love getting it on with the front diagonal zipper, but getting it off requires the help of my buddy! But it keeps me warm and in 45+ degree water, that says a lot.

Jocasseegirl
08-21-2007, 11:23
Ladies, I haven't read all the posts - but my dive buddy and I (both women) have found the Henderson Hyperstretch suits a dream to get into. MAJOR difference in how easy they are to put on. . . and they really do stretch up to accommodate about 20 pounds more weight than their specs say.

I have also dived in a farmer Jane shorty with a skin underneath. That worked real well. I bought about 3 used suits before I finally bit the bullet and bought the Henderson :smiley20:

savannahbell
08-27-2007, 19:16
I have a Bare full 3mm. I had three before I found them. All the other ones, either did not fit or I brought the whole ocean up and into the boat it was so big. I wear a 16 - 18 and could not find one to fit until the Bare came along. I love it, I ordered the mens xl short cause I am only 5'6" and it fits like it was made for me. My 7mm on the other hand is a Sea Elite XL, it fits but I rather wear the Bare even in colder water, that's how big of a difference there is to me. Hopefully one day they will have more of a selection for us ladies and a wide range of sizes as well. Good luck.

Liv7301
08-27-2007, 21:02
I have a Bare full 3mm. I had three before I found them. All the other ones, either did not fit or I brought the whole ocean up and into the boat it was so big. I wear a 16 - 18 and could not find one to fit until the Bare came along. I love it, I ordered the mens xl short cause I am only 5'6" and it fits like it was made for me. My 7mm on the other hand is a Sea Elite XL, it fits but I rather wear the Bare even in colder water, that's how big of a difference there is to me. Hopefully one day they will have more of a selection for us ladies and a wide range of sizes as well. Good luck.

Very well said! I love my Bare as well and find it so comfortable. I just got a Neoport shorty and found that I went up an additional size because it doesn't have stretch. I am so used to have lots of give, especially in the arms and found that the non-stretch shorty grabbed in that region.

savannahbell
08-28-2007, 16:57
Yeah, not sure why there is such a difference in all of them, but I will say Bare is in a class all alone. Maybe we can all gain up on the company and push our way to a larger selection of Bare products for us ladies.

caroln
08-28-2007, 16:59
I am very happy with my Henderson Thermaprene suit. It's plenty stretchy, and about 1/2 the price of hyperstretch.

foo
08-28-2007, 19:40
I have dived in a Bare wetsuit for quite some time, now. They have "plus" sizes that some of you might not know about... I think they start at a 10+, 12+, 14+, etc. These wetsuits are a bit bigger than their regular counterparts, without being LONGER. That's important when you're short and... well... uh, fluffy, like me!
Foo

savannahbell
08-28-2007, 19:55
Thanks for that info. I was not aware. I will have to look into that.

caroln
08-30-2007, 13:58
That's important when you're short and... well... uh, fluffy, like me!
Foo

It seems like all wetsuits are designed for taller folks, or at least ones with arms a good few inches longer then mine. If you look at the size charts anytime you get above a 2-4, the heights are 5'7 and up. While I'd love to be 5'7 or above, or smaller then a size 2, it just isn't gonna happen, so I'd be very happy to support a manufacturer who made more suits for the short chicas.

Liv7301
08-30-2007, 17:48
That's important when you're short and... well... uh, fluffy, like me!
Foo

It seems like all wetsuits are designed for taller folks, or at least ones with arms a good few inches longer then mine. If you look at the size charts anytime you get above a 2-4, the heights are 5'7 and up. While I'd love to be 5'7 or above, or smaller then a size 2, it just isn't gonna happen, so I'd be very happy to support a manufacturer who made more suits for the short chicas.

Or in my case, short and fluffy!

foo
08-30-2007, 20:08
My Bare is a 14+ and the length is perfect for me, although I'm a little less than 5'4". I celebrated when I found it, because as you shorter and fluffier gals know, clothing and wetsuit manufacturers think a size 14 is at least 5'8"!

Divegirl
08-30-2007, 21:51
Good luck with the wetsuit. When I was trying to work with the same idea, the dive shop gave me the same answer I was getting from everyone, Do you get cold easily? Are you diving mostly in warm or cold water? At that point, I really didn't know because I was getting certified the following weekend. Really didn't want to rent (DO DIVERS REALLY P IN THEIR WETSUIT?) Needless to say, after two years of diving and several trips later, I have a skin, a 3 mil, a 5 mil, and the MONSTER suit, ( you know the one you put on and feel like the kid in the Christmas story) Seriously, trail and error, seems on dive trips everyone has a different idea of what mil they need. The Hood is a problem for me, I find when I have my hood on I have trouble with my ears popping, they just don't pop. Tried to go down numerous times, and just couldn't get there, took the hood off and the problem was gone.

Don't know if that helped much, but hang in there you will find the one that works best for you with time.

caroln
08-31-2007, 08:43
The Hood is a problem for me, I find when I have my hood on I have trouble with my ears popping, they just don't pop. Tried to go down numerous times, and just couldn't get there, took the hood off and the problem was gone.

Don't know if that helped much, but hang in there you will find the one that works best for you with time.

When I was doing my OW, someone mentioned that if you have this problem, you should pull the hood away from your head and allow water to get in by your ears. Once the water is in your ears, you should be able to equalize. If you have an air pocket in your hood, your ears are equalizing to that, not to the water around you, so that can be a problem. I do this a couple of times every dive and it really works.

Divegirl
08-31-2007, 23:40
Thanks, I will try that, As a hood would really help in that COLD water!!!

Cheddarchick
09-01-2007, 05:56
My biggest problem is the errrrr......Bust area. The manufactors think that if you have big boobs you have a big butt to go with it. I don't have a big butt, but muscular arms and legs, that never go through the stinky little sizes they think the arms should be....Thanks god for zippers, now if they were just longer....

BLGould22
09-02-2007, 14:44
I'd really like to see a wetsuit for us gals that are larger that the size14 or 16, have real curves. I haven't found one yet. Can't afford a custom yet either.

(a bit late but I hope this helpsÖ)I believe it does make a world of a difference if you are a girl to get a girls cut wet suit. Especially if you are like me and, well lets just say, curvy. Iím a size 12, and I have a 38DD chest size and a big curvy butt (making it hard to find anything that fit my crazy curvy shape). I have had problems finding wet suits to fit my size, then finally I found (well I should say my boyfriend found) the Akona Quantum Stretch Womenís 3MM Jumpsuit (comes in 7mm too, both are prices much better then getting a custom). They seem make them larger then other brands. I am no way a size 15/16 but my chest and butt say differently. It fits well, I must say a bit loose in the lower legs and arms but thats because of size being so big on me, and well being from Jersey Iím never out of my gloves or boots, so they stop any extra water that might make itís way in. I donít have the luxury of diving in warm waters all the time. I live in New Jersey and until yesterday Iíve been diving in a rental 7mm farmer john! (YUCK) But yesterday I was able to try out my new 3mm Akona, and man is it so comfortable and easy to swim in, it conforms to my shape just right in all the right places. I still have to get a 7mm because even though I was ďokĒ at 57 degrees in my 3mm (Berrr), I do need a 7mm for my future Jersey shore wrecks. I do stand by getting a womenís cut, you may find you like it better. Anyway I kind of rambled on, but I hope it helped.:smiley1:

cshel
09-03-2007, 11:45
[quote=Athena2c;17494]

Oh yeah, and I dive in Henderson Hyperstretch suits....very stretchy and conforms well to different body types.

I'm a new diver but I'm always cold. I have a 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch suit and I love it. I don't have any problem with the back zip - the pull strap is plenty long - and there is plenty of room for my chest (I'm a 36 DDD)
It's a size 10 and I've gained some weight since I bought it last year but it handles all my curves just fine.

I've only dived in the quarries around here and once in Ixtapa Mexico. I am always very comfortable.

H20newbie
09-19-2007, 20:07
I am a fan of Bare as well. I am not a standard size 8...a little "bottom" heavy (aren't we all???:smiley36:) Bare makes a ... plus size( 8 plus, 10 plus, 12 plus etc) that is a little more generous and fits well. I was so impressed with the fit of my 7mm suit, that I purchased a 3 for my warm water dives.

BobArnold8265
09-19-2007, 20:52
Hi,

My Wife and I just bought new Waterproof brand wetsuits. They claim that their women's suit is better designed to fit a woman than other brands and my Wife seems to agree. You might want to give one a try.

Bob

MysteryGirl
11-17-2007, 19:46
I have my 3mm wetsuit for diving in Cancun and the Carribbean, and bought the Henderson microprene front zip from scubatoys a few months ago for swimming at the Y. I try to do 100 laps with my fins every day just to keep in shape. Both suits are easy to get into - the 3 mm Body Glove with the long back zip, but the front zip microprene needs someone else to stand behind me and pull it off my shoulders. It comes with extra padding on the back - but I don't need it because I have a great BC and the mere fact that I use that suit in the freezing cold pool at the local YMCA.
Is it possible to find a suit for the short waisted gals? Long legs, voluptuous tops, but an extra 3 inches bunched up at the waist.

By the way, I'd like to sell the microprene suit. It has faded from the chlorine, but still in great condition. ( it was a deep purple and black - still sold on this site) The only part not faded is around the ankles that are covered by my dive booties. It still has plenty of wear left. I just need to get it in a smaller size.

weight-n-sea
11-17-2007, 22:39
I hear you! My legs are about two inches shorter than my wetsuit. I struggle with baggy knees all the time.:comfort:

kqhouston
11-18-2007, 12:32
It DEFINITELY makes a difference, especially if you are curvy! They're just cut differently.

I am a henderson hyperstretch fanatic, and the 3 mil usually will take me anywhere carribean or south pacific....when we got to CZM in the winter, tho, I alternate days with my hyperstretch 2-piece, which is a farmer jane with a long sleeved shorty that front zips over it, giving me 6 mil on the core and 3 mil on arms and legs.

that hyperstretch stuff is magical at higher mils! no more michillin (sp?) man!!

BeachBunnyCrissy
11-18-2007, 13:12
It DEFINITELY makes a difference, especially if you are curvy! They're just cut differently.

I am a henderson hyperstretch fanatic, and the 3 mil usually will take me anywhere carribean or south pacific....when we got to CZM in the winter, tho, I alternate days with my hyperstretch 2-piece, which is a farmer jane with a long sleeved shorty that front zips over it, giving me 6 mil on the core and 3 mil on arms and legs.

that hyperstretch stuff is magical at higher mils! no more michillin (sp?) man!!

I am glad to see that I am not the only hyperstretch fanatic here!! I am a super curvy woman, so i always had the problem of too much room in the tummy area for it to fit my chest and butt, until i got the hyperstretch now its like a glove. I have the 3mm and 6/5.

PhD4JC
11-23-2007, 10:45
Does anyone know how he bares compare to the hendersons?

scubajane
11-30-2007, 18:07
I see alot of xs wetsuits. I cant even get my arm in the leg ,and I have never seen a diver that small they look like they would fit a 10 year old

DollFin
12-17-2007, 22:07
Newbie here, but I can relate to some of the woes we gals have with wetsuits. I'm 5'8", very hour-glassy and have muscular legs. I look at the size charts and think "who are they kidding???"

Recently I happened to run across a used Henderson Gold Core 5mm farmer jane 2 piece that was in great cindition, a steal of a price and, according to the size chart, my size. At first when I tried it on, I could not get the "overalls" part over my calves, but the step-in fit fine so I went ahead and bought it (the price she was asking was well worth it and I figured if nothing else, I could use it as a shorty) I don't have a skin, but I DID try it on later with a pair of panty hose and was able to get it on. SO, anyone else here ever use panty hose or tights?

Since money is an issue for me at the moment, I was just happy to find SOMETHING that would work for me for now so I don't have to rent, but I think when I can, I am going to go the Henderson Hyperstretch route since everywhere I look it gets glowing reviews and it does seem to accommodate us slightly taller than average gals.

Diver Kat
12-17-2007, 23:32
Don't think I could ever use anything but Henderson Hyperstretch .... once you get one, you're spoiled for anything else!! And it does work for all different sizes ... I'm short (5'4") and not even close to skinny and the HH was the only one (of all those I tried) that I didn't feel like I was choking or unable to move in .... and it adapted pretty well to my short arms & legs ...

SarahBella
12-18-2007, 07:08
I have a 3mm for the warm waters and have been renting a two piece 7mm for local diving until my husband ordered me a Mares 6.5 semi dry. I will have to update the post later this week when it arrives on how it fits...and again in 4 or 5 months when I can actually get out to dive.

Zenagirl
12-18-2007, 07:34
I can't imagine wearing a wetsuit without the super stretchiness of a Henderson Hyperstretch anymore. I have broad shoulders and thick waist instead of a big butt and hips like most women. My Henderson Hyperstretch fits me perfectly and feels like a custom wetsuit.

Okay, most feel that the Hyperstretch suits aren't as warm as a regular suit, but frankly I'll give up a little warmth for comfort, particularly when I can slip on a 5mm full suit easier than others can put on a regular 3mm suit.

Diver Kat
12-18-2007, 16:54
I can't imagine wearing a wetsuit without the super stretchiness of a Henderson Hyperstretch anymore. I have broad shoulders and thick waist instead of a big butt and hips like most women. My Henderson Hyperstretch fits me perfectly and feels like a custom wetsuit.

Okay, most feel that the Hyperstretch suits aren't as warm as a regular suit, but frankly I'll give up a little warmth for comfort, particularly when I can slip on a 5mm full suit easier than others can put on a regular 3mm suit. Totally agree .... and if I ever get desperate, I can put my 3 mil Hyperstretch shorty over the 3 mil full and still breath while staying warm!!

Liv7301
12-18-2007, 20:15
Just got my 7/5 mm Henderson Hyperstretch custom and it is niiiiiiiiiiice....

I can get it on in about 10 seconds. It's easier to put on than my Bare Progressive stretch 3 mm. I do need to make a few adjustments to it but I will have that done in my area. The legs will need to be shorter and then re-tapered and I might have a bit taken out of the back. But hell, I could get it on without breaking a sweat which is more than I can say for any other 7 mm that I have tried.

Once I get the alterations set, it's off to Clear Springs here in TX for a winter trip down to the silos!!!!

Grizbear98
01-10-2008, 19:30
I got certified, well both times I went to get certified, in a farmer jane. One had eccentric tiger stripes down the shoulders (man was it fugly) and the other had a hole in the crotch. They do add a nice layer of warmth if they aren't letting in water through the crotch or the neck like the tiger stripped one was because it was stretched out like an old pair of gym shorts. If it gets too hot you can always take off the top and wear the pants, or be like me and wear under armour under it in june (I'm cold blooded, not to mention medically get colder easier too). But I just ordered a one piece since the farmer was out in the 3 mm. IMO, farmers are easier to get in and out of from my hour long wetsuit try on session at the LDS before my certification.

cutter77
01-11-2008, 23:33
.............thanks for the info y'all. I'm gonna get a Henderson Hyperstretch with my Christmas money!