PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium diving

huvrr
05-16-2008, 07:16
anybody see the program from the georgia aquarium where you can dive with whale sharks? anybody else out there dive aquariums?

wxboy911
05-16-2008, 07:49
If I had one near enough I would be in it! I guess there is one on Long Island New York that takes a group of 8 down in a cage. Once my kids get to certification age I am sure that will be on our list!

Defman
05-16-2008, 07:57
I did the dive at the Mall Of America in Minneapolis a little over a year ago. It was OK, glad I did it but I don't know if I would do it again.

caroln
05-16-2008, 08:42
I did it last year in the shark tank at the Camden aquarium. It was nice, because they only take 2 people per day, so it's 2 of you and the DM in the tank with the sharks. You are in for 45-50 minutes, so you really get a nice long time to enjoy it, and once the DM sees that you are ok, he lets you pretty much do your own thing. 3 people, 26 sharks, and 2 saw fish=plenty to see.

I also did a dive day at the Baltimore aquarium recently. I enjoyed it because the water was 70 as opposed to 40 at the quarry, but there were a lot more people in the water (I think 6+DM) so it wasn't quite as free feeling as the Camden one. Still a good time though, and you get to do 2 dives there.

ScubaJenn81
05-16-2008, 11:25
anybody see the program from the georgia aquarium where you can dive with whale sharks? anybody else out there dive aquariums?

Speaking of that, has anyone done/planning on doing the whale shark dive?

thor
05-16-2008, 11:34
I did it last year in the shark tank at the Camden aquarium. It was nice, because they only take 2 people per day, so it's 2 of you and the DM in the tank with the sharks. You are in for 45-50 minutes, so you really get a nice long time to enjoy it, and once the DM sees that you are ok, he lets you pretty much do your own thing. 3 people, 26 sharks, and 2 saw fish=plenty to see.

I also did a dive day at the Baltimore aquarium recently. I enjoyed it because the water was 70 as opposed to 40 at the quarry, but there were a lot more people in the water (I think 6+DM) so it wasn't quite as free feeling as the Camden one. Still a good time though, and you get to do 2 dives there.

Is that the Adventure Aquarium?

elijahb
05-16-2008, 13:58
I am thinking about diving at west edmonton mall in there aquarium. Has anyone done that before? I hear it is intersting but it is a short dive.

*Merlin*
05-16-2008, 19:40
I read that for $150 you can dive the inland sea at Disney World Epcot center in orlando. I am thinking about riding down there and doing it just to say I did. The only "gear" you are required to bring is your C-card.

ratown
05-16-2008, 19:42
Tank cleaning/scuba diving would be the most kickass side-job.

comet24
05-16-2008, 20:29

I have dived the Baltimore Aquarium as a DM for these dives a few times. Always a good time. Alway look forward to these, great diving and then dinner in the inner harbor. We are required to have two staff in the water and one on the dive deck for these dives. Interesting you found the water warm as most divers find it colder them they thought.

While diving in the ocean is always a great time aquarium dive are nice because they are close and you always get really close to the fishes.

aggie99
05-16-2008, 21:27
I did the shark dive in the Denver Aquarium, it was more of a "sink to the bottom, stay still and watch" than dive but I doubt there are few other opportunities to see that many types of shark literally swimming within a foot of you.

Soonerwink
05-16-2008, 21:40
I wouldn't call it a job, but I do volunteer at the Oklahoma Aquarium, cleaning tanks and such. It is a blast, where else in Oklahoma can you do salt water dives with reef fish or even Leopard sharks. They don't let the volunteers clean the large shark tank. I wish they did, I always see shark teeth laying on the bottom. I would like to get to them before they get them and sell them in the gift shop.

Geoff_T
05-16-2008, 21:50
I read that for $150 you can dive the inland sea at Disney World Epcot center in orlando. I am thinking about riding down there and doing it just to say I did. The only "gear" you are required to bring is your C-card.

Yeah if I can convince the wife to take a trip to Disney before we have kids I am defiantly doing this.

scubasamurai
05-16-2008, 23:15
just remember if you do the disney dive quest
1. you have a disney visa card you get 20%
2. naui cert divers get a discount
3. passholders also get a discount

also i know a DM that is a volunteer at an aquarium here in florida and in return is able to dive at other aquariums for free ( some exchange program) or a reduced rate
so figure it out!! and yes i am doing the dive quest again since we are going to disney again!!! wife loves that place hahah

huvrr
05-17-2008, 05:15
Yeah it is fun, free air, hot showers, interaction with the kids outside the tank while feeding the fish. Great place to practice buoyancy skills.

cogrwy
05-31-2008, 20:02

This is true; I've done it twice. The second time, we had a surprise guest diver: some guy in a big yellow suit with big black ears, Mickey something-or-other. If you plan to do this dive, make your reservation as early as possible. They only do two dives per day(M-F, not sure about weekends). BTW, it's an awesome dive. Check it out at epcotdivequest.com

FailedExistence
05-31-2008, 23:20
Anyone ever done this one at the Maui Aquarium?

Shark Dive Maui | Maui Ocean Centers Hawaiian Aquarium (http://www.mauioceancenter.com/index.php?id=6&ss=0&page=shark&content=shark)

divingmedic
06-01-2008, 18:36
Moody Gardens Aquarium in Galvestion Texas has a volunteer diving program. Mostly to clean the tanks and such. But I guess you get to dive with what ever critters are in the tanks at the time.

Rileybri
06-01-2008, 18:48
The New England Aquarium has a dive club that hods a raffle (http://www.neadc.org/abc_GOTDiving.html) for members to dive the giant Caribbean tank. I have wanted to dive that fish tank since I was a kid. Its on that list!

diver-wife
06-01-2008, 19:06
there is one in Maui for about $150 you can dive it, but if you are in Maui for $120 you can dive Molokini which is about the same, and "real world"

buddhasummer
06-01-2008, 20:09
About 8 years ago I went diving the Perth aquarium in Australia, it was pretty expensive from memory, it was kinda cool, although not really diving as they weighted us pretty heavy and basically "walked around the bottom" following one of the staff, it lasted about 20mins, it had 5 or 6 fairly large Nurse/Sand tiger sharks, and they looked even bigger once we were in with them. I did hear recently that one of the sharks had a little nibble at one of the divers legs, although apparently nothing too serious.

Skyjunky
06-01-2008, 20:41
I'm a safety diver at Moody Gardens. You mostly feed the fish in the 2 larger aquariums and clean the tanks. One has the sand tiger sharks and reef type sharks. The other has the pacific type fish. Occasionally you can swim with the penguins while cleaning their tanks.

Chocoholic
06-01-2008, 23:20
I am thinking about diving at west edmonton mall in there aquarium. Has anyone done that before? I hear it is intersting but it is a short dive.

I asked this question before (on the "other board") and got
the answer that they don't allow divers in the aquarium anymore. I was hoping to dive it when I went to visit family.

divingmedic
06-02-2008, 14:57
I'm a safety diver at Moody Gardens. You mostly feed the fish in the 2 larger aquariums and clean the tanks. One has the sand tiger sharks and reef type sharks. The other has the pacific type fish. Occasionally you can swim with the penguins while cleaning their tanks.
I tried to volunteer for that a few years ago and never heard any thing back. Can ya pm me info on that again?

Martin2
06-03-2008, 14:20
We're scheduled to begin volunteering at the aquarium in Charleston this fall.

mauiiop
06-03-2008, 16:25
if i went back to the states that would be the job i would look for...:smiley2:

Skyjunky
06-03-2008, 23:18
if i went back to the states that would be the job i would look for...:smiley2:

Too bad they don't pay.

longtailbda
06-13-2008, 18:27
I have an offer to clean the shark tank toward the end of the summer man its tempting.

DiverMAN
06-13-2008, 18:46
they have whale sharks in an aquarium? didn't know they would survive in captivity. That has got to be a pretty big tank...

Vercingetorix
06-13-2008, 18:58
For Disney Dive Quest at Epcot, you cannot bring ANY gear other than your own mask. This is good for me because I'm doing that dive at Christmas and my mask has magnifying lens in it. Otherwise, I'd have a hard time with smallest numbers on my computer and gauges.

DiverMAN
06-13-2008, 19:17
Animal Guide - Kids Corner - The Georgia Aquarium (http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/animalguide/oceanvoyager/whaleshark.aspx)
so it is true...

Skyjunky
06-14-2008, 11:22
they have whale sharks in an aquarium? didn't know they would survive in captivity. That has got to be a pretty big tank...

Georgia hasn't had much luck with them surviving.

mrbheagney
09-06-2008, 00:53
I haven't dived an aquarium but I would like to. I kinow a bguy who used to dive them with new sharks and had to stop the sharks banging into the glass. Turning them back until they got used to their new confines.

trekkindave
09-06-2008, 10:49
I just learned that the new york aquarium has a volunteer diver program where you work as a diver to clean tanks, watch fish, and when you are not in the water you work as a tour guide and answer questions about the aquarium and its fishes.

The only draw back is that you have to donate atleast one full day of "work" every other week to remain in the program. Its only like an hour drive from here so i may consider it, except that its a full 8 hour day every other week. I really need to look into the program more to see if its something that is do-able.

Has anyone here every done this program?

Also, i saw mention of the shark dive at atlantis marine world here on long island. They do a "drop in" cage dive with the nurse sharks. You do not need to be scuba certfied as they give you a full face mask with communicator (not sure about the communicator). They also offer a snorkle adventure with the rays and "tropical" fishes.

tndiverdude
09-10-2008, 00:56
I woud like to, but it would be hard with my work right now. I know there are other aquariums around the US that are doing similar programs. One even had snorklers swimming with a pregnant beluga to keep an eye on her and the baby.

gilboadiver
09-10-2008, 10:16
My wife and I are part of the volunteer dive program at the PPG aquarium in Pittsburgh.

GIFFMANN
09-10-2008, 10:21
I've serioiusly considered doinig the volunteer dive program at the Henry Doorly Zoo here in Omaha, but have not had the time yet. Opportunities include the Shark tank and Penguin habitat.

Maybe after baby #4 comes along and we get into a groove with him, I'll look into it again.

srhtech
09-10-2008, 10:42
They offer that down in galveston at the Moody Garden aquarium too. They require doing so many hours of non scuba volunteer work though in order to dive in the tank.

GIFFMANN
09-10-2008, 11:00
Here is some interesting reading on what Henry Doorly requires:

http://www.omahazoo.com/scuba/Volunteer_Dive_Guidelines_October_2002.pdf

There is also a PDF outlining each exhibit and how it is cleaned.

Giff

mselizann
09-10-2008, 12:34
My wife and I are part of the volunteer dive program at the PPG aquarium in Pittsburgh.

It is so fun! and they always need divers if anyone is interested..........