PDA

View Full Version : Dive tips

dallasdivergirl
08-05-2007, 19:40
I am curious... what do to keep your hair back & out of you face & mask? Keeping you hair in good shape while diving?

Any tips for for keeping the sandflies at bay?

Good sunscreen?

saltwater newbie
08-05-2007, 19:44
I have been using the new "no slip" elastic head bands...they are not perfect but so far, they are the best I have found.

Hey Larry, why don't you carry women's no slip hair bands?

sidneydiver
08-05-2007, 19:50
I wear those hair bands too. My hair is not long enough to tie back so a hairband is the only thing that stops my hair flopping over my mask.

My tip for keeping your hair in good shape is to soak it well in fresh water before going in a pool or the sea because that will stop it absorbing too much chlorine or salt water. It can only absorb so much water so if it's already wet it can't take on much more.

pjm1128
08-05-2007, 20:20
I am curious... what do to keep your hair back & out of you face & mask? Keeping you hair in good shape while diving?

Any tips for for keeping the sandflies at bay?

Good sunscreen?

Before I got my hair cut really short (for ease while diving and motorcycling), I used to get my long hair cornrowed before trips. Kept everything out of the way.

Good sunscreen...I use Ocean Potion. Love it.

Pat in MI

the gooch
08-05-2007, 21:29
Best sunscreen is Baby Magic if you can find it. Cheap and SPF 50 http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/21J1MFEFEKL._SS500_.jpg

Osprey
08-06-2007, 00:36
I second Ocean Potion. Not only does it work, but it smells nice too! Hard to find both lol

picxie
08-06-2007, 01:35
My hair is too short to tie back so I just let it free flow. The fish *usually* leave it alone!

08-06-2007, 09:09
I was diving the other weekend and one of the ladies on board had a small spritz bottle of conditioner that she sprayed on her hair after diving. She says it keeps it from feeling like straw after diving and the long boat ride back to shore. I bought some cheap conditioner (diluted w/water approx 50/50) and a spritzer and plan to try it the next time I dive.

Debraw
08-06-2007, 10:18
I wear a beanie to keep my long hair down and out of my way. After I dive I typically spray my hair down with a detangler and use a large tooth comb to comb it all through. My hair has stayed nice and soft ever since.

ScubaToys Larry
08-06-2007, 10:30
I have been using the new "no slip" elastic head bands...they are not perfect but so far, they are the best I have found.

Hey Larry, why don't you carry women's no slip hair bands?

They are over in the section with curling irons and manicure accessories, just left of the tech section.

(Sorry... that was un-called for!)

Probably because we're a bunch of stupid guys, and joe is in charge of most the product purchasing - and he hardly has any hair left.

Disneymom
08-06-2007, 10:31
I was diving the other weekend and one of the ladies on board had a small spritz bottle of conditioner that she sprayed on her hair after diving. She says it keeps it from feeling like straw after diving and the long boat ride back to shore. I bought some cheap conditioner (diluted w/water approx 50/50) and a spritzer and plan to try it the next time I dive. Is that what the other woman did too? Does the dilution thin it down enough that you can use it in a spray bottle?

YellowfinKunkfish
08-06-2007, 11:05
Probably because we're a bunch of stupid guys, and joe is in charge of most the product purchasing - and he hardly has any hair left.

That's no excuse. We want to see a new section, complete with elastic hair bands, AND dive toenail polish. And I really think you should locate it right next to the DIR stuff.:smilie39:

08-06-2007, 11:18
It does make it thin enough to spray. Just have to shake it well to remix everytime. I just got a cheap brand conditioner and spray bottle at Walmart. The conditioner that the lady had was a small (perhaps sample) size from a salon.

Foo2
08-06-2007, 11:25
I use a doo rag that my mom got me in Cozumel. It's really cool! It has elastic on the bottom so it's kind of like a headband. The fabric can either bunch up like a headband or you can open it up and it covers your head like a doo rag. I'll try to get some pics of it so you can see what I'm talking about.

namabiru
08-06-2007, 15:09
When it's too warm for a hood, I use a swimsuit-material bathing suit cap, and two bobbi (bobby?) pins at the sides to help secure it. Reason being I have this terrible habit of exhaling through my nose instead of my mouth while diving, so my cap eventually starts bubbling up. It's not so bad to squash the cap back down when the water's warm, but if it's a bit colder.... eek.

I've found, though, that elastic bands have this terrible habit of either becoming lost or else digging into my head while wearing a cap.

lucidblue
08-06-2007, 15:46
I have long hair and I just can't seem to keep the flyaways out of my way. However, I have found a few things that improve the situation.

1. I spray a ton of leave in conditioner on my hair before diving. I comb it through really good before trying to do anything with my hair.
2. Put my hair in a tight pony tail at the base of my head. Then I put in 2-3 more hair bands down the ponytail to keep the layers from getting tangled. Seems to work the best of anything so far.
3. I put bobby pins in to keep the shorter hair out of my face. I have a Buff (http://www.buffusa.com/) (REI carries them) that I use as a headband if I'm snorkeling. Haven't tried it diving yet though. I was afraid the current in Cozumel would pull it off.

I take my hair out and comb it and put more conditioner in after each dive. Otherwise I'll have a knotted mess and a mass of flyaways.

Cheddarchick
08-06-2007, 17:25
Now Larry, you know grass doesn't grow on a busy playground....leave Joe alone. He is the god of computer fixes in my eyes....

foo
08-07-2007, 02:39
As goofy as they make you look, the beanie is a great warm water solution to flyaway hair. My hair is too short to pull back, but too long to stay out of my face & mask. Comb your hair back before putting on the beanie. Pull it on from front to back. They are not restricting, like a hood can be, although I cannot hear as well when wearing it.

MelC
08-07-2007, 09:16
I second the layering on the conditioner before you dive. It protects the hair and leaves it nice and soft when you rinse it out back at the hotel. I've tried a Buff to keep it out of my eyes when I dive but it wasn't elastic enough and tried to float away.

Mel

LCF
08-07-2007, 10:44
I've heard the suggestion of putting conditioner on your hair before you put your hood on, as a way of keeping the hair from turning into straw from too much salt. But I'm already replacing neck seals about every 50 - 75 dives, and I wonder what the perfumes, etc., in the conditioner would do to the seals?

clearvisibility2
08-07-2007, 21:54
As far as keeping your hair out of the way I don't have any great recommendations. However, ya know when you surface from a dive and can't get a comb/brush through your hair? Keep Paul Mitchell The Detangler in your gear bag. Put it on once you get situated on the boat (use alot) and you will be amazed.

Happy diving!

Osprey
08-08-2007, 00:45
I will definitely be needing some of that, CV2. My hair is long and THICK! Thanks!

fisherdog
08-08-2007, 13:59
I generally just use a hair band and look like a mangled sheep dog after a dive regarding the hair all over the place... Beanie's work best for me tho... As for conditioner after the dive, I always try and spray down my hair with "Aussie" leave in conditioner- It's a spray and seems to work pretty well...

Harshal
08-08-2007, 14:04
I was diving the other weekend and one of the ladies on board had a small spritz bottle of conditioner that she sprayed on her hair after diving. She says it keeps it from feeling like straw after diving and the long boat ride back to shore. I bought some cheap conditioner (diluted w/water approx 50/50) and a spritzer and plan to try it the next time I dive.

Should guys try this......................

JodiBB
08-08-2007, 15:24
I swim a lot in the pool, so the chlorine has the capacity to do a lot of damage!

I learned 2 things to really keep your hair healthy:

1) Soak you hair in COLD water before diving or swimming. As your hair soaks up the cold water to max, it won't have the ability to soak up the salt or chlorinated water. Rinse you hair with COLD water afterwards as well.

2) I use a spray-on oil called Redken UV Rescue Protective Oil, which is waterproof. You spray it in your hair before and after the dive. Because it's waterproof, it really protects your hair!

foo
08-09-2007, 01:32

Not unless you want your hair to feel irresistably soft and touchable to the opposite sex.

tx.lakerat
08-09-2007, 08:53

Not unless you want your hair to feel irresistably soft and touchable to the opposite sex.

Should we really let them in on this?? I mean they keep trying but Foo... not to many hints babe!

squidlee1
08-09-2007, 10:45
then put on my infamous Dee-Rag. It keeps those stay hairs and bangs out of my face plus it keeps the sun off my forehead. I also comb in conditioner on the surface interval but I don't water it down.

foo
08-09-2007, 15:30

Should we really let them in on this?? I mean they keep trying but Foo... not to many hints babe!

TxLR, I do understand the need to keep some things only to the sisterhood- however, if we want them to have soft hair, we will have to explain it to them. They don't know. They can't help it. We have to help them with certain genetic difficienci... I mean, differences. We love them, we need them. But, they must have loving, supportive training. As they are fearfully and wonderfully made. We help them to understand. And to give a rats behind.

And this, my friend, is how you stay married 28 years. (To the same man.) ;)

ScubaLover
08-12-2007, 21:40

Good sunscreen?

I use a dive cap to keep my hair out of my face. It works well. Also, I always rinse with fresh water on the boat after diving, but will probably start using a spray-in conditioner as well.

I use Bullfrog sunscreen. It is a gel that dries quickly, and all of us on the boat use it.

lucidblue
08-12-2007, 22:03
For hair health, my stylist said to wet your hair thoroughly before going into saltwater. Your hair will absorb the tap water and be "filled," so it won't absorb the saltwater.

You can also do this if you're swimming in a pool to keep the chlorine out of your hair.

Stuspot
08-13-2007, 12:27
Could someone post a picture of what you mean when you say "beanie?" I'd like a simple solution like that but I'm just not sure I understand. Thanks!

Foo2
08-13-2007, 12:53
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/wetsuits/pics/tilosbeanie.gif (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TilosBeanie)
This beanie is straight from the ST website.

Stuspot
08-13-2007, 13:36
Thanks Foo!! I figured when you divers say it you mean something different than the stocking cap my stepson calls a beanie. :smiley36:

picxie
08-16-2007, 03:34
I have one of those beanies. I have not yet worn it yet though. I got it as I hate wearing hoods and I thought that might be better than wearing nothing.

Will hopefully be getting out again next month (:wave:so long winter!!!!) so I'll be giving it a go then!

foo
08-17-2007, 20:44
Haha, love that picture, Foo2. I'd kinda go into a panic if I misplaced my beanie... I even wear it over my hood in colder water, as a double insulation layer. It also seems to make my hood fit better. (?)

caroln
08-19-2007, 15:17
I have tried bandanas, scuba doo rags, hair bands, and about 10 different kinds of hair ties, but the only thing that works to keep my hair under control is a beenie. Also for after diving, go to the baby section in Wal Mart and grab a bottle of generic detangler. It's 98 cents for a big bottle, and it's basically just spray conditioner. It takes care of my post dive dreadlocks nicely. My choice for sunblock is bull frog spray gel. I hate having sun block on my hands because I tend to rub my eyes a lot so ouch. This stuff works great.

Liv7301
08-19-2007, 20:54
There are some beanies that I love at terrapinwetsuits.com. They have a bunch of really fun ones...bunny ears, cat ears, princess crown, clown fish, Shrek, dolphin, dragon, etc. They also have a wide neoprene headband that completely coveres the ears. Foo2 should recognize the Shrek one I think from her OW weekend. The beanies can also be made into full hoods. I think I am going to have to make a purchase.

ScubaJenn81
08-20-2007, 07:22
I wear a hood 99% of the time and then as soon as I get out of the water, I put on a baseball hat. I have a big toothed comb in my dive bag, but I honestly find it easier to just shampoo the first chance I get. Otherwise I just look like a drowned rat. I have come to accept it.

Foo2
08-20-2007, 10:03
Foo2 should recognize the Shrek one I think from her OW weekend.

The Shrek beanie is hysterical! The guy that we saw wearing it was a big guy too, so that made it even more funny!:smiley36:

ixrayu
08-20-2007, 19:56
I'm going to have to find the Shrek one for my husband! He's 6ft 4 and 350 lbs. The kids and I would get a big kick from it!

Liv7301
08-20-2007, 22:19
I love the Shrek one myself and was thinking about that one, and then also trying one of those wide head bands. Hidden bonus with the Shrek cap: the lime green color must make it very easy for your buddy to find you!

cutter77
08-20-2007, 22:28
I have a short "do" so I just time my haircuts to coordinate with my dive trips.

dallasdivergirl
08-21-2007, 08:57
You can blow bubbles from the "ears" of the Shrek beanie

Disneymom
08-21-2007, 09:32
those beanies are great!!

chace_nicole
10-07-2007, 19:38
Has anyone tried surgical caps that are for sale at many uniform shops? I thought of this the other day when I was buying scrubs for work. Not so much the big fluffy scrub caps but the ones that have a closer fit. Didn't know if the cotton would be good (hold wise) but they do come in many cute colors & patterns for us gals!

gthomas
10-09-2007, 13:25
My sister-n-law has short hair but gets only the top portion of her hair braided as soon as we land for are vacations in Mexico. I tried it once wasn't a good look for me, but seems to work for her.

TRACI
10-16-2007, 14:54
Braids are great, they keep your hair out of your face, the only con is about the 5th or 6th day they start making my head hurt.

caroln
10-16-2007, 15:02
The problem with braids is your scalp can get sunburned which is not fun at all.

Anne Eastwell
10-16-2007, 19:34
Hey Larry & Joe, why don't you invent something similar to the mask bands that will stretch (or velcro ends?) over a gal's delicate head to keep our luscious hair back... Snow skiers have them. Maybe a slimmer version, we don't need it to keep our ears warm.

I'm sure there's heaps of gal's around the shop that will happily help with designs! And you get to put the ST logo all over it...

Chocoholic
10-17-2007, 18:04
Those beanies look like they would work. But, does it yank on your hair when you try to take it off like a hood does? I have a sensitive scalp.:smiley5:

TRACI
10-17-2007, 19:54
If you get your hair braided, to keep your scalp from being sunburned, I just use the sunblock that if for your lips that comes in a stick, its applies clear and is waterproof.

abcitydiver
10-17-2007, 22:56
I'm with cutter....scissors are the answer before a dive trip
ironic...cutter...scissors....

scubajane
11-20-2007, 22:23
I love my beanie for hair control. I misplaced my beanie and attempted to dive with a knit Steeler hat. wow what a treat no hair inmy pace but the stupid thing grew underwater and flopped and sagged over my mask. non bad enough to abort the dive but I got zero style points for the dives that day. I like the idea of a spray bottle of conditioner. sounds like a good idea!!

PhD4JC
11-23-2007, 10:17
I use conditioner on my hair right before AND after diving. That helps immensely

rach
11-23-2007, 11:13
wow, why have i been diving for so long and never thought of putting spray-in conditioner in my dive bag?? genious! i'll be using it tonight!

From_Arizona
11-24-2007, 15:30
I have long hair to my waist, lots of it, and always have difficulties keeping it from becoming a rats nest after coming out of the water.

I use Bio-Silk before and after being in the water and use a wide-tooth comb or pick to run through it afterwards. I tie my hair in a low single pony tail or pig tails and braid the lower half. I then add more bio-silk to the braids to help it comb out after a dive. Before using this method, I ripped chunks of hair out trying to detangle it after coming out of the water.

Bio-silk now has small travel sizes that easily fit within the quart-size bag for airport security....get one for travel and refill with the standard size bottle for lower costs.