PDA

View Full Version : Do you mind having a newbie along?

divedeeper
05-16-2008, 15:11
Hey gang,

My wife and I just got certified last december and we have logged only like 5 dives since our class. Part of the reason we dive so infrequently is that we saved up and have all of our own gear (except tanks). Now I am looking to do some shore dives that will give me some experience in the water. I am hoping to one day become an instructor, so any experience I can get would be awesome. I read on another thread that some of y'all dive around here pretty regularly. If you don't mind having a newbie along, let me know some time if you wouldn't mind diving with me. I am seriously considering buying a tank so I can be ready to go any time as well as saving on rental fees each time I want to go out. What are your thoughts on that too? Hope to hear from you.

See ya down there,

Dive Deeper:smiley20:

Dive-aholic
05-16-2008, 16:29
I'm in the panhandle and don't mind diving with new divers at all. You're a bit far from me, though. But if you're ever up this way, let me know.

As for buying a tank...

If you plan on diving a lot, then I say go for it, the benefits will far outweigh the costs. However, if this is for once in a while diving, then you're better off renting. Remember you have to get annual VIPs and hydros every 5 years. With the cost of fills not being much less than tank rentals, this could run you quite a bit of money. I ended up buying my own tanks when I first started diving, but I was diving a couple times a month and my LDS was about an hour drive from my house. The convenience factor was a big one. Now I own almost 40 tanks!

You should check out the shore diving at LBTS, Commercial Blvd, Datura Blvd. It's easy, shallow diving with lots to see. Perfect for any experience level. Check out my website (in my sig) for information and videos on dives there.

scubasamurai
05-16-2008, 16:54
never had a problem if you come down to the tampa area. we all have to start somewhere and having someone that actually cares how "rookie" divers are treated, makes for a better experience!!!!

Buoyant1
05-16-2008, 20:31
I'm nowhere near you...but I have no issues with newbies...I was one once, and a few guys didn't mind diving with me!

Geoff_T
05-16-2008, 22:04
I'm nowhere near you...but I have no issues with newbies...I was one once, and a few guys didn't mind diving with me!

Same here I have known many new divers who learned quickly and were a pleasure to dive with. The important thing for me is that you are working on things like bouyancy controll but as for your basic shore dive if you are ever in the DFW area look me up.

oddbod
05-17-2008, 00:31
You can dive with me anytime, :smiley31: somehow showing people around I can actually see more myself and we all had to start at sometime.

Black-Gorrilla
05-17-2008, 02:26
i live not too far from you and some good shore diving (an hour or so...)
i just started a new job... so im not sure how my weekends are looking for now... but as soon as i find out i have a saturday or sunday off i will let you know, and we can meet up and do some shore diving (i might bring my brother and his girlfriend too)

I dont at all mind having new divers with me... and im sure neither do the people that i've been shore diving with (when i too only had 5 dives)

i know im working this weekend for sure (sat/sun... 2-midnight) but if i have a day next week(or any other weekend), you will hear from me.
im sure i can get Eyezz to go too.

as far as buying your own tanks... i'd say if you can afford it, then go for it. just make sure you get them filled after you dive...so when that Sunday rolls around and you feel like going diving, you have air and dont have to hope there is an open shop (not too likely on Sundays.... but there is a chance)

huvrr
05-20-2008, 11:15
love to dive with new divers anytime. I too bought tanks soon after cert. glad I did. Like the other poster said, then you get to decide when to go diving. well worth it in my book.

divedeeper
05-21-2008, 00:03
I ended up buying a tank! So stoked.. So now I have my full kit. Now I just need someone to dive with! My new tank needs water and I am feeling reverse Narc'ed from lack of nitrogen in my blood from not diving enough. hahaha. Glad to hear so many people don't mind a newbie! Let me know when we can dive!

Dive Deeper

TommyB
05-21-2008, 09:16
I ended up buying a tank! So stoked.. So now I have my full kit. Now I just need someone to dive with! My new tank needs water and I am feeling reverse Narc'ed from lack of nitrogen in my blood from not diving enough. hahaha. Glad to hear so many people don't mind a newbie! Let me know when we can dive!

Dive Deeper

We dive almost everyday here. And love to have the new people to scuba hang out.
Try to hit the boats out of Lantana/Boynton at least once a week, the rest of the time we are doing the springs/caves in North Florida. From Orlando (where I live) it's the same amount of travel to either go Ocean, or Cave Country.

TommyB

eyezz
05-25-2008, 07:42

Dive Deeper

I will be more than happy to do a shore dive, you got my vote I live in Boca. I was a newbie once and still learning, I met a few Tech divers
that ask me to go dive with them all the time.

As far as tanks go, I just bought a pair of steel 80's that I am very happy with, Only becasue I try to dive almost evey weekend. :smiley20: