PDA

View Full Version : eled vs hid

Lucky(AR)
08-05-2007, 21:56
I was just wandering peoples opinion i just bought a uk hid light but now im hearing the new uk eled is the way to go ? only experience i have with leds is the q 40plus and its great for a backup small light.... just wandering how the eled will compare to the hid though?

BSea
08-05-2007, 22:04
That's a good question. I'm thinking of getting a can light in the near future, but I may wait a little longer to see what is on the horizon for LED technology. I have a salvo rat light for a backup. It's LED, and has really impressed me. It penetrates better than any LED light I've seen. It's not as bright as a 10w HID, but then it isn't advertised as a primary light.

What I would like to see is a side by side comparison of both the handheld dive rite HID & their new LED handheld. They retail for the same price & look identical. But how do they perform?

ScubaToys Larry
08-05-2007, 22:39
HID's are much brighter... Led's are more indestructible. Me... I have a UK Hid, and it's amazing. And for some reason, theirs blows away a lot of the cannister HID lights that cost 3 times as much.

In the beginning they had some bulb issues where they didn't last very long, and at $75 a bulb... that was not too good. But I have over 100 dives on mine now with no problems.

BSea
08-05-2007, 22:43
I will say, if you are looking at the UK light cannon, that it really does put out some light. Last year at the flower gardens, a diver had 1 of those. It looked like a search light underwater.

TxHockeyGuy
08-06-2007, 16:37
I will say, if you are looking at the UK light cannon, that it really does put out some light. Last year at the flower gardens, a diver had 1 of those. It looked like a search light underwater.

Yikes, I don't think you should be taking that powerful of a light into blue water. I plan to use my eLED on low power in blue water.

ScubaToys Larry
08-06-2007, 16:45
Yikes, I don't think you should be taking that powerful of a light into blue water. I plan to use my eLED on low power in blue water.

You'll think that... that will last for about a minute, then you'll be on High beam for about a minute... then you'll follow a guy with a HID the rest of the dive! Ahhh .. Errrr ... Aaarrrrggg.. More Power!

thesmoothdome
08-06-2007, 16:46
I've got a UK Light Cannon HID and a PT Shockwave LED. I've had both lights in the water at the same time and can definitively say that both are good lights and I'd be comfortable with either light. The LC is downright amazing though. It's a huge, powerful beam. The updside of the LED is that the batteries last upwards of 12 hours compared to 3 to 4 for the HID.

Lucky(AR)
08-06-2007, 16:57
thats great input i dove for the first time with the uk hid light cannon and it blew all the other guys using the princton shockwave 2 lights out of the water ...no comparison i guess since i have i will stick with it just didnt want my fellow divers to out do me...lol

BSea
08-06-2007, 17:01

I'm with larry. The more power the better. Besides, the LED I had (Shockwave LED) was good, but it didn't penetrate very well. Give me the power, then I can decide how much to use.

JahJahwarrior
08-06-2007, 17:15
I asked about the lights recently at my LDS, and they showed me a Salvo handheld HID that they reccomended. It uses a different bulb (Brightstar?), is lighter and shorter than the DR, and comes standard with a rechargeable battery and charger, which'll give you about 2.5 hours run time.

They also reccomended that you go with the Rat as a backup, or as a "baby primary," but that if you did plan to use it as a primary, the Rat Jr. had a much more focused beam and they would actually advise using it.

nferra2
08-06-2007, 18:48
Are they using High Output LED's In dive lights yet. Companies have started using the high output leds for aquarium use and they have been able to reproduce the light output of Metal Halide lamps.

Also, Does anyone make a red dive light. I would imagine it would be great to have a red light at night, since inverts can't see the red light you should be able to see their natural behvior without them knowing.

94GTStang
08-06-2007, 19:28
I have been plenty happy with my UK LED lights I got. The C4 version. Plenty of light and I don't have to worry about having a fish fry underwater.

How much light do you truly need underwater?

thesmoothdome
08-06-2007, 19:34
I have been plenty happy with my UK LED lights I got. The C4 version. Plenty of light and I don't have to worry about having a fish fry underwater.

Depends. If I'm trying to sneak up on someone. None. If I'm trying to see as much as possible, as much as possible.

94GTStang
08-06-2007, 20:13

Depends. If I'm trying to sneak up on someone. None. If I'm trying to see as much as possible, as much as possible.

Guess you have a point. All I know is that I have never wished I had more light on a night dive. I don't think a huge light would help out much in our area lakes though.

Krakenn
08-10-2007, 05:11
Niterider have a dual globed light that has one red light FYI

Kraks

BSea
08-10-2007, 07:33
They also reccomended that you go with the Rat as a backup, or as a "baby primary," but that if you did plan to use it as a primary, the Rat Jr. had a much more focused beam and they would actually advise using it.
I think you might have that backwards. The Rat has a more focused beam. Salvo's website has a comparison of their lights here (http://salvodiving.com/light_output_chart). Go to the bottom of the page to see the comparison between the rat & rat jr.
My buddy has a rat jr., and I have the rat. We used them side by side, and they were just as the website shows. Mine was more focused & penetrated better. His is more useful in a smaller area. It also has a much more blue light while the rat has a whiter light. But you don't see the color difference on the comparison on their website.

JahJahwarrior
08-10-2007, 07:50
Well, I thought the big one was the rat and the smaller was the Jr.? I could have sworn that the bigger one had a wider beam than the smaller one. I don't know, I was handing over a pretty penny at that moment to buy a BP/W setup, so my memory might have been.....distracted?

BSea
08-10-2007, 08:06
Well, I thought the big one was the rat and the smaller was the Jr.? I could have sworn that the bigger one had a wider beam than the smaller one. I don't know, I was handing over a pretty penny at that moment to buy a BP/W setup, so my memory might have been.....distracted?
The rat is the bigger light, but with a tighter beam (8 degrees) & uses a 3 watt LED. It uses 3 C batteries, & is almost 2 times as long as the rat jr. The rat jr uses the cr123 batteries (2), and has a wider beam (13 degrees) & uses a 2 watt LED. Both have their pluses. I plan on getting a rat jr down the road.