PDA

View Full Version : Can a 3 watt led really compare with a 10 watt HID ?

Jeff G
05-16-2008, 18:46
I have read great reviews on the Oxycheq 3 watt LED. Some people say it is as bright or brighter than a 10 watt HID. Can this really be true?

Rainer
05-16-2008, 18:48
No.

But a good reflector and subsequent tight beam, plus color spectrum CAN make up for less lumen output in many cases.

That said, I just saw someone post about a recent 3W back up "appearing" to him to be brighter than his 21W.

And some people claim to have seen UFOs and Big Foot. I don't place too much stock in some people's eye witness accounts.

IndyDiver
05-16-2008, 19:13
Depends on what you want to look at.

I have an expensive 5 watt LED flashlight that will light up the mailbox at the end of my driveway (200' away) plain as day with a tight beam. I have an ATV with 45 watt headlights with the worlds worst reflectors that you can't even see the mailbox at the same distance.

Now if i put the ATV 30 feet in front of the house, it will light up the whole front wall. The flashlight will only light up a 2 foot circle on the wall from that distance.

I would say that the ATV puts out a lot more light, but not on a single object 200' away!

DOWNDEEP73
05-16-2008, 19:15
I don't think so....Tim!

rawalker
05-16-2008, 22:40
Besides just focus and spectrum the color and clarity of the water you are diving in has a lot to do with the preceived ability of a lite. The spectrum of new LED emmiters doesn't seem to filtered by the colors of water when compared to other type bulbs.

BSea
05-17-2008, 00:32
I have read great reviews on the Oxycheq 3 watt LED. Some people say it is as bright or brighter than a 10 watt HID. Can this really be true?I have 1 of those new Oxycheq lights. It's a very bright handheld, but not as bright as a 10 watt HID IMHO. But it did convince me that if I'm going to spend in the money for a can light down the road, I'm waiting on an LED that will be in the ballpark of a 21 watt. I know Salvo has some that they say are close, but I'll wait till a few more enter the market before I take the plunge.

freeski4ever
05-20-2008, 00:04
The Oxycheq Backup is a great light for the price, but compared to a 10W HID, it doesn't come close. Then again, the price difference between the two is quite large. If you need the extra light, go HID. If you want a small, inexpensive, yet powerful light, go with the Oxycheq.

Geoff_T
05-20-2008, 00:34
No.

But a good reflector and subsequent tight beam, plus color spectrum CAN make up for less lumen output in many cases.

That said, I just saw someone post about a recent 3W back up "appearing" to him to be brighter than his 21W.

And some people claim to have seen UFOs and Big Foot. I don't place too much stock in some people's eye witness accounts.

actually when dealing with light it is the output in foot-candles that is what matters. Your lumen rating will effect this number. see wikipedia for more Foot-candle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_candle) Basicaly while the water will filter some wavelengths faster than others effecting perception of strength. The strength of a light can only be measured in foot candles so that you are compareing apples to apples.

now if you wanted to get realy tecnical you could bring a light meter under watter inside a video houseing and compare different types of water and at different depths to see which color tempratures of light fall off faster.