PDA

View Full Version : servicing your own regs

Jeff G
05-16-2008, 18:52
for those of you who service your own regs, how did you get started and why do you do it?

jbres1
05-16-2008, 22:59
I started working on my own regs about a year and a half ago.
I do it because I like to know that my gear is in good working order.
Its also a way for me to buy more tools.
Jim Breslin

Geoff_T
05-16-2008, 23:13
as far as doing this what is required by way of training. I have always wanted to learn how but don't even want to risk screwing somthing up ie. doing this without knowing what I am doing. Is is a seperate training for each reg model or a general training for each brand or regs in general. Who do you go to to learn this? LDS, factory, or 3rd party.

Crimediver
05-16-2008, 23:36
I got started working on my own because I was a broke college kid. I took my regs apart and saw how they worked, cleaned 'em up and put them back together. Pretty simple really. I made up my own IP guages and magnahelics guages. Now with the internet it is a hell of a lot easier. Download an overhaul manual, and fix them yourself. I find it easier to take care of regs like keeping water out of the first stage, use environmentally sealed regs, etc. than it is to overhaul them.

Many won't agree with this but I only overhaul a reg once in a blue moon. I usually only inspect them and only replace seats and valves when they need it.

Get an Airspeed press book and your overhaul manuals and a few tools. I own dozens of regs and could not afford to send them off for "annual overhauls". I have had a couple of LDS really screw up my overhauls. One reg I opened up after it was overhauled had the second stage diaphram covered with dried silt. They charged me for an overhaul but did not work on it. I have also asked a local shop for my old parts and he went back in the shop and brought me a baggie of parts that I knew did not even fit my regs. I also once got back a reg that was missing an exhaust valve under the exhaust T. Man, what a sweet breather on the surface but underwater all you got was lungs full of water. I have never had a bit of trouble with my regs and they are finely tuned to the IP pressure I need.
If you are just a bit handy with tools, know how to read and are patient scuba regs are not that tough to work on.

Some regs I can rebuild in my sleep but some I won't work on. Poseidons are one I avoid but simple regs like the USD Conshelfs designs are so simple a frogman can do it.

coral cowgirl
05-17-2008, 01:08
"If you are just a bit handy with tools, know how to read and are patient scuba regs are not that tough to work on."

Crimediver
05-17-2008, 07:37
"If you are just a bit handy with tools, know how to read and are patient scuba regs are not that tough to work on."

I said it was so easy a frogman can do it, not a mermaid. Of course it goes without saying that women should always send their regs off to Scubatoys.:smiley2:

Actually the regs my department dive team uses are shipped off to a company for annuals and there have been no problems with their repairs or price and it has a quick turn-around. It pays to shop around and ask others for the best price and service and not blindly take a reg to a LDS, who may or may not be the right place to work on it.

One local shop near me sends any regs they get off to a shop in NC and the shop tacks on additional charges to the customer who could have sernt it to the same place themselves at considerable savings.

I like knowing how my regs work as it allows me to notice problems before they get worse and do quick field repairs that have saved dives for me and my partners.

jtkkym
05-17-2008, 08:40
Now with the internet it is a hell of a lot easier. Download an overhaul manual, and fix them yourself.

Do you have the web site for downloading manuals?

in_cavediver
05-17-2008, 09:19
Now with the internet it is a hell of a lot easier. Download an overhaul manual, and fix them yourself.

Do you have the web site for downloading manuals?

What manual do you need? ST has several on thier site for download.

I'm similar to Crimediver. I rebuild only when they need it, and that's mostly 2nd stages not 1sts. I do it because I own 9 regs and I am sure as heck not paying the retail rate on 9 regs for service when they don't need it. (or I can do it).

For a single reg though - there are some really good places you can send it off to. ST does mail order service and judging by the posts here, they do a pretty good job and stand behind their work. If I had just one, I'd consider that option.

Geoff_T
05-17-2008, 09:23
what about parts. While I am sure I can find the manual for mine online what if I need replacement parts. Or rather do you have to go through a dive shop or licensed service tec to get them?

in_cavediver
05-17-2008, 17:32
what about parts. While I am sure I can find the manual for mine online what if I need replacement parts. Or rather do you have to go through a dive shop or licensed service tec to get them?

Depending on the model - ST stocks them. I got my last Zeagle parts from them. I get the Dive Rite parts from Cave Excursions or Dive Rite express. Some companies are a PIA to deal with though (Scubapro for example).

I subscribe to the freedom of access ideals. I can buy critical parts for my car and fix it myself (if I screw that up, I can kill a lot more than just me) and therefore a reg should be no different. Some companies agree with me, some don't. I patronize only those who do.

Dive Rite, Salvo, Zeagle and Posiedon are ones I know personally allow for part kits to be sold.

Geoff_T
05-17-2008, 19:04
Depending on the model - ST stocks them. I got my last Zeagle parts from them. I get the Dive Rite parts from Cave Excursions or Dive Rite express. Some companies are a PIA to deal with though (Scubapro for example).

I subscribe to the freedom of access ideals. I can buy critical parts for my car and fix it myself (if I screw that up, I can kill a lot more than just me) and therefore a reg should be no different. Some companies agree with me, some don't. I patronize only those who do.

Dive Rite, Salvo, Zeagle and Posiedon are ones I know personally allow for part kits to be sold.

I agree with you here I can manage to do most basic service on most of my camera equiptment and some of that is way more tecnical than my regs. I just have always been under the impression that it was impossible to get parts without being a dealer or service tec. Currently I am still useing an old aqua lung artic do you know about parts for them?

in_cavediver
05-18-2008, 07:27

I agree with you here I can manage to do most basic service on most of my camera equiptment and some of that is way more tecnical than my regs. I just have always been under the impression that it was impossible to get parts without being a dealer or service tec. Currently I am still useing an old aqua lung artic do you know about parts for them?

From what I have heard - Aqualung isn't very friendly to DIY service.

huvrr
05-18-2008, 18:53
is the book from airspeed press on DIY worth the money as a reg repair manual?

in_cavediver
05-18-2008, 20:04
is the book from airspeed press on DIY worth the money as a reg repair manual?

I think so. I also have the Oxyhacker guide, the gas booster guide and dive light companion. (I've built a few dive lights)

There are others as well but Vance's is good.

jtkkym
05-18-2008, 21:02
[quote=in_cavediver;174130
ST has several on thier site for download.
[/quote]

I can't find on ST site. Could you please post the link? Thanks.

in_cavediver
05-20-2008, 18:52

I can't find on ST site. Could you please post the link? Thanks.[/quote]

Well, I can't either. It used to be there. Oh well, here is another site:

http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/

huvrr
05-20-2008, 19:06
great thanks I am ordering mine today. That link is excellent also for manuals.

fireflock
05-20-2008, 19:39
Scuba diving Manuals - Service Manuals - Regulator, Computer, Owners Manuals (http://scubatoys.com/manuals.asp)

huvrr
05-20-2008, 20:32
I just picked up a couple of basket cases and took them apart. I am mechanically inclined so it is not rocket science. I have found, as some others have posted here, that the LDS doesn't always do the best job.

jtkkym
05-22-2008, 20:29

I can't find on ST site. Could you please post the link? Thanks.

Well, I can't either. It used to be there. Oh well, here is another site:

http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/[/quote]

Thanks for the Link.

Marcus
05-22-2008, 21:16
If you have to service your own Reg...you can't afford diving.:smiley2:

jtkkym
05-22-2008, 21:27

Why??? A reg service tec can't afford diving?

Marcus
05-22-2008, 23:23
Good point. Diving is hard to afford in general...lol

in_cavediver
05-23-2008, 05:25

How about I can't afford diving because I own 9 regs???

Or I don't trust a 'shop monkey' to work on my gear or I don't think its worth $450/yr for work that I can do myself

There are a lot of reasons to service you own gear. Its just like people who work on their own cars. Its not always about money.

awap
05-23-2008, 08:55

If you service your own regs, diving becomes much more affordable.

I'm currently supporting about a dozen regulatorr setups. Annual service at a shop would be both expensive and unnecessary. It probably cost me about $250 for startup and maybe $50 annually for parts. That works out to about one extra dive trip per year.

Geoff_T
05-23-2008, 09:35

Or I don't trust a 'shop monkey' to work on my gear or I don't think its worth $450/yr for work that I can do myself

There are a lot of reasons to service you own gear. Its just like people who work on their own cars. Its not always about money.

While I have not done my regs yet I agree %100. I work on my own camera equiptment does that make me an broadcast engineer, no. But it does save me a few thousand dollars annualy in little things money that I spend diving.

RoyN
05-23-2008, 13:35
I let my parents service my regs. :)

jtkkym
05-23-2008, 15:25

I agree. I'm an engineer so I'm always curious to know how things work. It is nice to know everything of own regs.

junzhang
07-15-2008, 22:09
there's a course from PADI I remember as something like equipment specialty, is that worth attending?

namabiru
07-15-2008, 23:11
The ST manuals page is Scuba diving Manuals - Service Manuals - Regulator, Computer, Owners Manuals (http://www.scubatoys.com/manuals.asp)

Another reason for self-service is geographic location. For instance, out of the 3 dive shops in Doha, none of them service Aqualung. The postal system is not to be trusted, and courier service is an arm and a leg. So, to have my Aqualung regs serviced, I have to either take them to Dubai in person, or have it done on a trip somewhere. Which means time out of the water...

So I suppose this is another reason I'm becoming more of a DIY person.