RikRaeder
05-16-2008, 19:11
**********************BEGIN RANT***********************
I want to buy a reg. What's the best?
What fins are the best?
What's the best wetsuit?
Who's the best instructor?
What's the best shop?

Come on guys! STOP. BREATH. THINK. TYPE.

What's the best Italian dish? Zitti or Lasagna?
What's the best way to spend a Sunday morning (besides sex and diving; respectively).

It's all quite subjective. Why not offer some choices? Better yet, why not do a little independant research and then ask for peoples' experiences with the choices that seem best to you. Of course it's fair to ask for input; smart even.
When you're talking about gear, it all comes down to fit and personal suitability. There is a wealth of experience and helpful information on this board, but no one here knows how an Atomic mask fits your face, or if Cressi or O'Neil wetsuits have the sizes that fit you best.
Rather than rely on what people
say on the internet, use the information to help shape your own opinions. You need to start out with an opinion to modify first though. Here are some helpful links:

Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://http://www.scubadiving.com/GeneralMenu)
Navigate to GEAR. This is Rodales (or used to be). They are a pretty good source of comparison for gear and have archives that go way back. They seem to be pretty objective about it all.

Bitz Scuba Diving Equipment Guide (http://www.bitz.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm)
This is Bitz. There are some more helpful hints in choosing gear from people who know more than I do about it (the list is long).

Library (http://www.psicylinders.com/library/Current/library.htm)
This is PSI/PCI library. Learn a bit about cylinders.

http://www.regtechscuba.com/reg.views.htm
This is RegTech. Almost all you need to know about regulators.

The list goes on (but not here). After you've formed your opinions to be modified, don't forget to give the community a bit of information about what type of diving you tend to do. Are you an ice diver? Maybe a full-face mask would be best. Do you travel a lot? Hmmm. Perhaps a travel BC. If you really want the best, start out with some information, then give a little and it's sure that you'll get much better advice.
The same holds true for dive spots, shops, etc. Maybe I like an instructor but you don't (assuming you have a different personality than mine; God I hope you do). I like wrecks but not reefs; what advice might I give? Hmmm?
Scuba is a pretty independant sport when it all boils down. Only you know if the dive is too deep, conditions are too rough, or feeling is not right; for you. Only you know if the gear you want to buy is "the best:" for you.
In the end, if you're like me, you have to ask yourself a question. Can you really afford "the best?" I know I can't, but I'm just a poor teacher. Good luck and good diving.

**********************END RANT**************************

DOWNDEEP73
05-16-2008, 19:13
That's gonna take too much effort!

IndyDiver
05-16-2008, 20:30
I had to use all my concentration just to read a long post like that. I could never get through all that research (I'll bet some of it even involves MATH!)

I would rather just ask people and then do whatever the consensus says. Much easier.:sheep:

ratown
05-16-2008, 20:40
Sometimes, you just need to try things out to know how well they are for you and when someone tells you what they think is best it helps you start somewhere...

thor
05-16-2008, 21:20
Now that's what I call a good old fashioned rant

scubasamurai
05-16-2008, 23:05
bet he feels better as for equipment i have some and still messing around, if anyone wants to donate some so i can try on well that would be nice hahah

RikRaeder
05-17-2008, 04:39
Now that's what I call a good old fashioned rant
Thanks. Nice to have one's medium appreciated!

Beaucoupfishies
05-17-2008, 11:21
Any hobby takes a little research before you jump into it, and especially a hobby where you put your life on the line. Some basic research into each piece of equipment you need will arm you with enough knowledge to go to your LDS (or call Scubatoys) and talk to them about what features you want and don't want.

Save the "What should I get" questions until you're stuck trying to decide between two pieces of the same equipment and just want enough opinions one way or another to make a decision. :)

The onus is still on you to get the basics down first, and it'll benefit you in the long run to know why you want something instead of just getting it because someone else sees it as the best.

doczerothree
05-17-2008, 18:14
**********************BEGIN RANT***********************
I want to buy a reg. What's the best?
What fins are the best?
What's the best wetsuit?
Who's the best instructor?
What's the best shop?

What's the best Italian dish? Zitti or Lasagna?
What's the best way to spend a Sunday morning (besides sex and diving; respectively).

It's all quite subjective. Why not offer some choices? Better yet, why not do a little independant research and then ask for peoples' experiences with the choices that seem best to you. Of course it's fair to ask for input; smart even.
When you're talking about gear, it all comes down to fit and personal suitability. There is a wealth of experience and helpful information on this board, but no one here knows how an Atomic mask fits your face, or if Cressi or O'Neil wetsuits have the sizes that fit you best.
Rather than rely on what people
say on the internet, use the information to help shape your own opinions. You need to start out with an opinion to modify first though. Here are some helpful links:

Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://http://www.scubadiving.com/GeneralMenu)
Navigate to GEAR. This is Rodales (or used to be). They are a pretty good source of comparison for gear and have archives that go way back. They seem to be pretty objective about it all.

Bitz Scuba Diving Equipment Guide (http://www.bitz.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm)
This is Bitz. There are some more helpful hints in choosing gear from people who know more than I do about it (the list is long).

Library (http://www.psicylinders.com/library/Current/library.htm)
This is PSI/PCI library. Learn a bit about cylinders.

http://www.regtechscuba.com/reg.views.htm
This is RegTech. Almost all you need to know about regulators.

The list goes on (but not here). After you've formed your opinions to be modified, don't forget to give the community a bit of information about what type of diving you tend to do. Are you an ice diver? Maybe a full-face mask would be best. Do you travel a lot? Hmmm. Perhaps a travel BC. If you really want the best, start out with some information, then give a little and it's sure that you'll get much better advice.
The same holds true for dive spots, shops, etc. Maybe I like an instructor but you don't (assuming you have a different personality than mine; God I hope you do). I like wrecks but not reefs; what advice might I give? Hmmm?
Scuba is a pretty independant sport when it all boils down. Only you know if the dive is too deep, conditions are too rough, or feeling is not right; for you. Only you know if the gear you want to buy is "the best:" for you.
In the end, if you're like me, you have to ask yourself a question. Can you really afford "the best?" I know I can't, but I'm just a poor teacher. Good luck and good diving.

**********************END RANT**************************

Don't hold back. let it all out!!

Geoff_T
05-17-2008, 18:53
You sound like I feel sometimes. I always have people coming up to me and asking whats the best camera. Well it depends what you want to do just like scuba.

Bill1979
05-17-2008, 18:58
I get this question a lot for ultra light gear, I tell them its the stuff I make, because it suit my purpose. On the other hand I don't think it would be a good idea to make your own equipment for scuba.

huvrr
05-17-2008, 21:00
what was this about, italian food? or diving on sunday after sex

Murloc
05-17-2008, 21:29
what's this about Italian food and sex?

Zenagirl
05-18-2008, 07:53
I have to admit that I agree with Rik. The questions and debate that follows about which is the "best" gear drive me insane sometimes. In particular the whole BP/W crowd that acts as if there's no other choice for a diver to make. ALL gear isn't for everyone, and all gear configurations don't fit everyone's needs.

I say people need to get over it and find the best gear for THEM....after they've tried and look at stuff for themselves and used their own brains to figure it out. Reading reviews is a great way to get started in LOOKING, but to buy based on someone else's choices is idiotic.

Case in point, my first BC was a HIGHLY recommended Diva....the "best" women's BC. I bought one without trying on other BCs, just knowing it was the "perfect" one. NOT! Within 10 dives I knew I had made a mistake, the Diva clearly wasn't "best" for me, and off to ebay it went. I then went out and TRIED ON as many BC's as I could find (which I stupidly didn't do the first time), and wound up choosing a Zeagle Zena (and yes, I tried a BP/W...hated it!). Yes, I was stupid for buying the Diva, and yes, I'm still diving the Zena nearly 150 dives later. But that doesn't mean the Zena is "best" either.....it's simply "best" for ME!

I try hard to never recommend someone BUY a specific thing, but instead to LOOK at and TRY for themselves.

MSilvia
05-19-2008, 11:07

Think? Awww... man, that sounds hard. I just want someone to tell me what my opinion should be.

EuphoriaII
05-19-2008, 12:55
I need:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/attachments/complaints-problems/2264d1211219707-best-everything-cliff_notes.jpg

reactive
05-19-2008, 15:14
soooo... what is the best regulator? :smiley20: :smiley36:

chinacat46
05-19-2008, 15:41
It depends how you define "is"

reactive
05-19-2008, 15:45
–verb 1.3rd pers. sing. pres. indic. of be. (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=be)

MSilvia
05-19-2008, 17:03
Billy the Kid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County_Regulators)

reactive
05-19-2008, 17:26
Billy the Kid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County_Regulators)

Touche! Nice job! :smiley36:

PepeDiver
05-20-2008, 09:28
oddly enough i had this conversation with my wife a few days ago regarding running shoes. we were standing in front of the wall of shoes and she asks "whats a good running shoe?" I just started handing her every shoe off of the wall to make my point! Unfortunately she started throwing them at me for it! You'd think we were kids the way we act sometimes!

RikRaeder
05-20-2008, 09:57
What's a good, I can deal with. The best is a bit more subjective I think.

PepeDiver
05-20-2008, 10:29
well with "the best" you get those who swear by certain brands and thus think that is "the best". but with whats "good"....heck most of it is good depending on what it is you're looking for. In the shoe case...nearly everything on that wall was a good running shoe. Maybe not good for her...nothing in that store was good for me...but each one of them would be good for someone somewhere.

Skinsfan1311
05-20-2008, 11:18
Best post ever.

elijahb
05-20-2008, 19:18
good post

longtailbda
06-07-2008, 10:48
In many cases when people ask questions on boards like this they're looking for places to start their research. In my case I've been looking for opinions on light reasonably priced backup/tropical gear. Through garnering peoples opinions on what they use and research on my own, I'll eventually narrow down my choices. Thats one of the big advantages to forums like this. Its an easy way to talk to like minded individuals.
As Zenagirl stated just because something "is the best" doesn't mean its the best for you.
I still use an original pair of power plana fins. Few people I ever dive with think that they are the best or why I'd dive with outdated equipment. Occasionally I get a reminiscent look from older divers though.

Rileybri
06-07-2008, 11:26

Think? Awww... man, that sounds hard. I just want someone to tell me what my opinion should be.

This is frightening to me on so many levels Matt!

Everyone knows the best Italian food is what ever grand ma is cooking tonight!
Um I think it was sex while diving on Sunday before Italian food. But I could be wrong about that one?
GWB chose these screw ball to be our top financial regulators, explains allot! http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2008/03/31/1206997152_3150/539w.jpg
But I don't think thats what you were asking? Wait what was the question again?

digitalman
07-05-2008, 22:56
I got tired reading the first few lines. I couldn't possibly handle that much info in one post without timing out.

Vercingetorix
07-05-2008, 23:15
What's the better color: Red or Blue?

Discuss.

Rileybri
07-05-2008, 23:42
What's the better color: Red or Blue?

Discuss.

red no blue? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

diver 85
07-09-2008, 15:15
Do you really want the world, too???

Sasha_K
07-09-2008, 15:28
Great list, thumbs up for that. At the same time, not sure if there is place for rant - isn't this forum here so people can ask those exact questions. Even when given all that info, it is hard to comprehend in one sitting, so people need to be guided through it (myself included).

Great links to get people started, but to be honest, I wouldnt refer people back to this post as it isn't friendly (contrary to most posts on this site).

My 2 cents.

beperkins
10-16-2008, 11:19
Yeah, Don't hold back-tell us how you really feel.

thagar
10-16-2008, 18:54
I thought you were going to answer those questions, not make me look for myself.

ScubaDude
10-16-2008, 19:33
You're over-breathing your reg, dude.

Zeagle Eagle
11-22-2008, 20:13
The best reg or dive equipment for that matter is the one that you like the best. Dive gear is very personal and what is "the best" for me is not necessarily the best for you. For example I don't dive cold water so I don't need a cold water reg. There are regs out there that do cold water and could be considered better than mine, but not for me. I have been through about 10 regs or so to find the one that I really love. Same for my fins my mask and on and on. With dive gear the most expensive is not necessarily the best. Try a bunch of dive gear and then settle on what is best for you, what is most comfortable, easiest to maintain, most durable for your style of diving. Yep.....it's going to take time. Meanwhile have a great time diving.

Splitlip
11-22-2008, 20:23
The best is what I use. (so to speak) :)

teerlkay
11-23-2008, 09:05
i prefer to take the opinion of anonymous persons on the internet that may or may not know what the heck they are talking about, that may or may not have an agenda, etc.

shawnwill36
11-23-2008, 09:56
as long as i can breathe and see underwater it works for me :)

maverick
11-23-2008, 14:01
The best Italian dish veal pamigan.

ScubaDude
11-26-2008, 19:17
as long as i can breathe and see underwater it works for me :)

:smiley20:

fanatique
02-06-2009, 18:48
Love to see an old school forum rant! Sometimes the difference between asking a question that has never been asked before and being the 1000th lazy arse to ask "what's the best fin?" is simply checking for threads like this or hitting up the archives. Way to go.