PDA

View Full Version : How Afraid are you of Sharks?

RikRaeder
05-16-2008, 19:29
So where do sharks figure in your fear factor? Where do you dive? Are they a consideration? Should they be ;)

Vote and compare:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/comments-questions-dont-fit-above/13176-how-afraid-you-titan-triggers.html

ratown
05-16-2008, 19:32
I am way less scared of them diving than surfing...lol

*Merlin*
05-16-2008, 19:37
You just have to remember you are not at the top of the food chain.

ratown
05-16-2008, 19:40
And I dive in Southeast Florida. They are definitely out there.

Splitlip
05-16-2008, 19:57

They are less intimidating when you as a diver can move in 3 dimensions as they can and you are 8 ft long and 2 1/2 feet thick. As a surfer you find yourself hamstrung by being limited to 2 dimensions and your appendages offer nice bite sized targets.

Quick story.
There was a nice little knee to waist high swell going on at Corners a couple years ago. It was March no daylight savings. I surprised my then middle school age daughter by picking her up from school with boards loaded on the truck.
Winds were off shore and it was so clean and easy I was wearing my polarized Costas on the paddle out. It was near sunset, the bait was running between the sand bar and the shore. As we headed into a wave a Bull was sillouetted in the face right off the nose of my board. I was surprised that it did not bother me "that" much.
Instead I simply told my kid it was time to head in. She asked why. I said it is dinner time. She said she was not hungry. I explained I was not talking about us. :smiley36:
I learned something that day. Do not wear polarized glasses in the surf because ignorance is bliss.
I watched the shark swim between two guys sitting on their boards shooting the **** and past 2 old guys doing aerobics in the surf, oblivious to it's presence.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
05-16-2008, 20:01
I dive places where shark encounters are the norm. I saw 12 sharks on my last dive. Hope to see more next weekend. I have a lot of respect for their ability to take a chunk out of me, so I give them their space.

05-16-2008, 20:03
I was surprised that it did not bother me "that" much. Instead I simply told my kid it was time to head in. She asked why. I said it is dinner time.

:smilie39:

Largo
05-16-2008, 20:10
I just WISH a shark would try some stuff like that with me.

I would be all like, "Hey! You back off, or I'll sue you!"

ratown
05-16-2008, 20:22

They are less intimidating when you as a diver can move in 3 dimensions as they can and you are 8 ft long and 2 1/2 feet thick. As a surfer you find yourself hamstrung by being limited to 2 dimensions and your appendages offer nice bite sized targets.

Quick story.
There was a nice little knee to waist high swell going on at Corners a couple years ago. It was March no daylight savings. I surprised my then middle school age daughter by picking her up from school with boards loaded on the truck.
Winds were off shore and it was so clean and easy I was wearing my polarized Costas on the paddle out. It was near sunset, the bait was running between the sand bar and the shore. As we headed into a wave a Bull was sillouetted in the face right off the nose of my board. I was surprised that it did not bother me "that" much.
Instead I simply told my kid it was time to head in. She asked why. I said it is dinner time. She said she was not hungry. I explained I was not talking about us. :smiley36:
I learned something that day. Do not wear polarized glasses in the surf because ignorance is bliss.
I watched the shark swim between two guys sitting on their boards shooting the **** and past 2 old guys doing aerobics in the surf, oblivious to it's presence.

Ya, I totally agree. The same exact thing happened to me on a clean waste high swell. An 8' Bull swam right by us in the lineup. I just told my friend that we needed to go in. It was so scary.

fisheater
05-16-2008, 20:25
I think about them before each local dive.

Somehow, they disappear from my mind as soon as the dive starts.

Around here, I'm talking Great Whites. Though they're rare and bother humans even more rarely, encounters involving biting aren't too benign for the humans involved.

Largo
05-16-2008, 20:29
It's fairly well established that "Shark Shield" works. But, it's expensive and cumbersome.

Does anyone know of other measures to make sharks avoid you?

I.E. Sub-ducks? I've heard that they don't like divers because of the bubbles, and because they don't look natural.

Other things?

Travelnsj
05-16-2008, 20:45
I've had hundreds of dives with Sharks in Rangrioa, Fakarava, Palau, Galapagos etc....Never a worry...just respect!....the only thing that would bother me is to dive somewhere where they have Shark feedings.

DOWNDEEP73
05-16-2008, 20:46
It's fairly well established that "Shark Shield" works. But, it's expensive and cumbersome.

I.E. Sub-ducks? I've heard that they don't like divers because of the bubbles, and because they don't look natural.

Other things?
It probably would not hurt if you smeared yourself with your own feces. What kind of shark would want to eat you then?

Splitlip
05-16-2008, 20:52

Quick story.

Ya, I totally agree. The same exact thing happened to me on a clean waste high swell. An 8' Bull swam right by us in the lineup. I just told my friend that we needed to go in. It was so scary.

The nice thing though about this area, the water is pretty clear. Limit cases of mistaken identity. The irony though, as you go north (of Ft Pierce say) and get out of the shadow of the Bahamas, the waves get better, but the viz gets worse. I have a buddy who got popped surfing at the Sabastian inlet. Carries a nice little scar on his calf. He is in High School though, so chicks dig it.:smiley36:

Don't know if you've been up this way for the Jupiter Fall Classic. If not, you should try. Lots of fun.
Link is here on this site.
http://www.jupitersurf.com/
They usually have Brice from Boxelder Live to Love, Love to Live - Boxelder (http://www.boxelder.com/) performing at the Square Grouper Square Grouper - Tiki Bar at Castaway's Marina - Jupiter, FL (http://www.squaregrouper.net/).

Largo
05-16-2008, 20:53
You don't?

RikRaeder
05-16-2008, 20:55
Best way to avoid shark attacks is to stay out of the water. That's no fun at all, though. Let me check my 1942 Pilots' Survival Manual...
Oh, it says here to just thrash around and splash the water. That will scare them away!

DOWNDEEP73
05-16-2008, 20:56
No....The corn attracts too many Alligator Gar!

RikRaeder
05-16-2008, 21:07

You might try hitting them up for spare change or talking to them about religion/politics.

Largo
05-16-2008, 21:11
That's how I get rid of girlfriends who are too clingy.

reeldive
05-16-2008, 21:17
When diveing with your spearfishing buddies - just cary a camera - Might get something great on the 5 o'clock news

aggie99
05-16-2008, 21:23
I'm more scared of people, Sharks are more predictable.

thor
05-16-2008, 21:25
No matter how many times I might see a shark or hear stories about how they mostly ignore divers, the movie Jaws will always creep into my head. I saw that movie when I was a little kid, and it really affected me. I had nightmares for weeks. I won't avoid places that have sharks, and I sometimes seek them out, but when I am at the surface, daaaadaaaaa...................daaaaadaaa.........d adadadadadadadadad.....

Largo
05-16-2008, 21:32
Here is the summary of my interaction with sharks.

Before every dive in North Carolina, the DM would surface and say, "There are a couple of Sand Tigers! Check it out!" Then, when we got to depth, the Sand Tigers would be gone. :(

In Florida, I accidentally found a nurse shark, and my insta-buddy scared it away because he thought I was pointing him toward a lobster.

Shark encounters seem to be rare for me. That Stuart Cove guy's operation is looking better every year.

DOWNDEEP73
05-16-2008, 21:32
You do not need to be scared of either one.... if you carry one of these!
Guns: Recoilless Auto Shotgun Fires 300 Rounds Per Minute, No Cleaning or Lube Required (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/guns/recoilless-auto-shotgun-fires-300-rounds-per-minute-no-cleaning-or-lube-required-324453.php?autoplay=true)

Splitlip
05-16-2008, 21:34

Before every dive in North Carolina, the DM would surface and say, "There are a couple of Sand Tigers! Check it out!" Then, when we got to depth, the Sand Tigers would be gone. :(

In Florida, I accidentally found a nurse shark, and my insta-buddy scared it away because he thought I was pointing him toward a lobster.

Shark encounters seem to be rare for me. That Stuart Cove guy's operation is looking better every year.
Come to Jupiter.

DOWNDEEP73
05-16-2008, 21:36
Anybody ever tried to noodle one?
YouTube - Catfish Noodling (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOjA8Puh1BM)

DIdiver
05-16-2008, 21:49
I have been scuba diving since 1992 - I had never seen a shark while diving until last month. My buddy and I were spearfishing. Our first dive was uneventful - shot some fish and surfaced. On our second dive, my buddy shot a fish as soon as we got down. I shot one soon after. My spear got jammed into the wreck so it took a little longer to get my fish strung. My buddy tapped me and when I looked at him, he had his hand like a fin on his forhead. I said to myself "Is he giving me the sign for ---- SHARK" well, there he is!! While I am reloading my speargun, my buddy is pushing the sharks (yes, now plural)away from us with his spear gun. They were definitely interested in our fish. We headed for the surface and they started following. They finally broke off and we had no further interaction.

I talked with a guy at the local LDS and he said the sharks around here are more plentiful early in the year. I usually don't dive much until the Summer.

I have a healthy respect for these animals especially now after seeing one up close and personal. It definitely won't keep me out of the water though!!!

reeldive
05-16-2008, 21:57
My Wife napping on the grass. check out the shark in the background on the right side of the picture

aggie99
05-16-2008, 22:01
Guns: Recoilless Auto Shotgun Fires 300 Rounds Per Minute, No Cleaning or Lube Required (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/guns/recoilless-auto-shotgun-fires-300-rounds-per-minute-no-cleaning-or-lube-required-324453.php?autoplay=true)

Wow, this is scary, these need to be standard issue to all school teachers! Maybe that would solve the school shootings.

DOWNDEEP73
05-16-2008, 22:03
Here is a picture of my wife and I with shark behind us!

aggie99
05-16-2008, 22:06

I think he is smiling for the pic! What type of shark is that? It looks like a great white but I doubt you would be that close if it was.

Grizbear98
05-16-2008, 22:06
I haven't seen a shark yet, I'm sure I'd piddle a bit at first glance depending on the species, then try to get its picture

Grizbear98
05-16-2008, 22:11

I think he is smiling for the pic! What type of shark is that? It looks like a great white but I doubt you would be that close if it was.

and holy crap is that real?!

Ryanh1801
05-16-2008, 22:16
I have never seen a shark, so I can't really say if I would be scared or not. I don't think it would really bother me, but I will never understand people that go on feeding trips, just seems like Darwin at work to me.

Geoff_T
05-16-2008, 22:41
loo key reef in december both years ran into nurse sharks. Nothing big but the seccond year I was there We headed back to the boat after seeing the nurse sharks. Only to find a reef shark circling under the boat, that put me in my place real quick. Thing of it is it pretty much just swam of when it realized we were there. If you do want to see some try the key west area around christmas or new years. When we drove in we could see them hanging out under the bridges as well.

scubasamurai
05-16-2008, 23:13
all the encounters i have had with sharks never seemed to give me the time of day, but they don't wear watches and i don't look like a nice fat juciy seal, just some small eel

Athena2c
05-17-2008, 00:01
We went to the Bahamas just so I could get my desired natural shark encounter (didn't want to do a feed dive). I love them-they are amazing and my first dives with them did not disappoint!

Black-Gorrilla
05-17-2008, 00:12
I dive places where shark encounters are the norm. I saw 12 sharks on my last dive. Hope to see more next weekend. I have a lot of respect for their ability to take a chunk out of me, so I give them their space.

i go in the water hoping to see them. I've seen some here and there... never on of these south Florida bulls i hear about... but i do wanna see one, and preferably large... just so i know how it feels to be that close to a very large powerful creature... in his house.

Black-Gorrilla
05-17-2008, 00:17
My Wife napping on the grass. check out the shark in the background on the right side of the picture

those are some good pictures. looks pretty shallow judging by the amount of light. good stuff.

oddbod
05-17-2008, 00:24
Good Photoshop.:smiley36:
Doesn't it depend on the type of shark, Grey Nurse = Tabby cat,:smiley20: White pointer = Lion:smiley21: (yes i did Piss myself:smiley9:)

Shark girl
05-17-2008, 00:28

I've seen sharks fairly often, but they don't tend to hang around long. Second open water dive was a night dive. I jumped into the water, found there were 5 bronze whaler sharks hanging round the boat, munching scraps thrown overboard from dinner. They scattered fairly quickly and, although we sighted sharks throughout the dive, none came close. Triggerfish are far more terrifying. Of course, I've never had a great white sneak up on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOWNDEEP73 http://forum.scubatoys.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/13175-how-afraid-you-sharks-post173926.html#post173926)

:smilie39:

Could make me change my mind!

RikRaeder
05-17-2008, 05:07
[quote=Shark girl;174011]Triggerfish are far more terrifying. Of course, I've never had a great white sneak up on me!]

That you know of.... :naughty:

huvrr
05-17-2008, 05:09
OK I'll bite, what so scary about trigger fish?

RikRaeder
05-17-2008, 05:15
The teeth, baby, the teeth. And they're highly territorial and aggressive (during mating season). I tried to put a pic up of one that attacked me at 25m, but couldn't get it on the page. Trust me or better yet ask around.

Zenagirl
05-17-2008, 07:23
LOVE sharks and look forward to diving with them. However, that does NOT apply to Tiger Sharks, Bull Sharks, and Great White sharks, nor any shark near someone spear fishing or chumming. Some species of shark just are too big and too aggressive to want to be in the same area with.

Charles R
05-17-2008, 08:23
Unless you feed, chase, provoke or harass them generally speaking they will leave you be. other things to consider, if you are a hunter remember you are basically chumming the water while you dive! you shoot the fish the fish bleeds the sharks come sniffing around.

CPTOZZY
05-17-2008, 08:37

That's Great ! :smilie39:How did you make that ?? :smiley32:can you e-mail me the background picture? I would LOVE to Photoshop that to send to my sister (who is convinced that that is what is lurking beneath every wave)

Babster
05-17-2008, 08:39
I'm kind of amazed to hear that some folks do tons of dives without seeing any sharks.

My first dive trip after OW was on the Turks and Caicos Explorer II, and we saw sharks on practically every dive. Mostly Nurse Sharks sleeping on the sandy bottoms, and smallish (6 foot or so) reef sharks. On the very last dive off a wall, we had 3-4 reef sharks circling around around and through the group. I had a couple pass so close I could (almost) reach out and touch them. After the dive, I jokingly asked the crew if they had arranged that show deliberately for the last dive!

I was amazed at how un-scared I was... but then again, they weren't making any agressive moves, just cruisin' around.

However, I don't think I have any interest in doing one of the shark-feeding things. Unh uh.

CPTOZZY
05-17-2008, 08:54
I'm somewhere between
"I'd pee my wetsuit if I hadn't all ready.

I don't give them a second thought (just a first).

Nurse sharks don't scare me, but any other shark that was as big as me would DEFINITELY get my attention.

I've never seen any other sharks while Scuba diving (other than Nurse Sharks), but once when I was snorkeling in Australia (before I started Diving) I saw a 6 foot black tip swimming parrallel to the shore just feet away from all the wading beachgoers. He just zipped by and didn't seem to be interested in any humans, but he difinitely got my attention, and I exited the water and reported the siting to the lifeguard.

Mtrewyn
05-17-2008, 09:33
Unless you feed, chase, provoke or harass them generally speaking they will leave you be. other things to consider, if you are a hunter remember you are basically chumming the water while you dive! you shoot the fish the fish bleeds the sharks come sniffing around.

This has been my experience with most large predator type of animals.

I still find it amazing that people won't understand this, if you just leave things alone they will generaly leave you alone.

I still am afraid of sharks:smiley5: but diving with them would be cool, I would love to do the Stewart's cove thing. I just give them the respect they need and they'll give it to you.

Travelnsj
05-17-2008, 09:56

This has been my experience with most large predator type of animals.

I still find it amazing that people won't understand this, if you just leave things alone they will generaly leave you alone.

I still am afraid of sharks:smiley5: but diving with them would be cool, I would love to do the Stewart's cove thing. I just give them the respect they need and they'll give it to you.

Well if you want to do Stewart's cove....I think they are best known for Shark Feedings (or used to be)....That promotes unnatural behavior and I will never dive anywhere where you may have a Shark come up to you for a bite to eat!...just a thought.

moosicman
05-17-2008, 10:07

and holy crap is that real?!

You have to be kidding! You guys thought that was real?? LOL...

scubamarc
05-17-2008, 14:41
http://www.mwdives.com/DiveGallery/North%20Carolina%202005/slides/North%20Carolina%202005_228.JPGhttp://www.mwdives.com/DiveGallery/North%20Carolina%202005/slides/North%20Carolina%202005_228.html

moosicman
05-17-2008, 15:08
Way more comfy diving with sharks than with alligators. Was reading another thread from "that other board" and this one chick has PHOTOS of them hanging out with this HUGE gator. AND: its no photo shop deal. THAT is the definition of "wacked"....

Don't know if its tacky to put a link to the other board...if it is, moderator, please clean and make shiny!:)....

Diving with Gators present?? - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/233869-diving-gators-present.html)

Shark girl
05-17-2008, 16:36
Way more comfy diving with sharks than with alligators. Was reading another thread from "that other board" and this one chick has PHOTOS of them hanging out with this HUGE gator. AND: its no photo shop deal. THAT is the definition of "wacked"....

Don't know if its tacky to put a link to the other board...if it is, moderator, please clean and make shiny!:)....

Diving with Gators present?? - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/233869-diving-gators-present.html)

Now THAT's insane. NO WAY would you get me in the water with those things! Glad we're croc free in NZ.... (crocs were my biggest worry when diving in Aussie)

oddbod
05-17-2008, 20:03

Now THAT's insane. NO WAY would you get me in the water with those things! Glad we're croc free in NZ.... (crocs were my biggest worry when diving in Aussie)
Never been a known attack offshore, and they are majestic beasts to watch, saw a small one, about 2 metres, whilst snorkeling off the Low Isles just of Cairns years ago, we were told by the guys on the boat that in deep clear water they won't attack. You're real biggest worry in Aussie is we don't have enough sheep to keep you happy:smiley2:

DOWNDEEP73
05-17-2008, 20:19
Shark Pics!

coral cowgirl
05-17-2008, 22:02
It's a treat getting to see a shark anywhere we've been in the Bahamas, but I think if I was a spearfisher off the coast of California I'd be a nervous wreck.

RikRaeder
05-18-2008, 01:26
Check out the photo here (didn't want to post photo only due to copyright stuff). Want to go for a swim?
Shark still menacing Albany beachgoers : thewest.com.au (http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=145&ContentID=73635)

coyote
05-18-2008, 06:30

Wow! I want one...

Grin
05-18-2008, 09:31
I am a spearfihing diver here in Florida. It is very common to have Bull sharks bug us when spearfishing. I have never had a bad problem with a shark yet. They are like dogs. If you have food in your hand, you need to make them aware that they can only have it if you give it to them. And that is definatly not a option. For whatever reason I am afraid of sharks while out of the water, but when I see them under water I am 100% unafraid. Nitrogen Narcosis? Maybe? Or I guess the fact is, once your in the situation you have no choice but to deal with it, and fear and screaming and running is not a option. If your not spearfishing, there is zero reason to fear sharks. They are unlikely to even check you out if your not spearfishing. But occassioanlly they will come in and take a look at you. If you panik and freak out, your sending "weak" signals to them and they may stick around even longer. Remember sharks are the cleaners of the ocean, meaning they eat the weak. Giving a speared fish to a shark is like telling a begging dog that begging works. Here in Florida that is our biggest problem. Many spearfishers make stupid decisions and end up feeding the sharks their catch. Thus training the sharks. Every now and then a shark will come in on me real agressive and the first thing that comes to mind is some idiot fed this shark his speared fish. But they are only bullying you, because it worked on the last idiot. Luckily, agressive moves toward them seems to always work. As soon as you see them coming at you, you need to make quick aggressive movement, straight at them, and they will turn off and keep their distance every time.
The worst shark thing that ever happened to me was: I was on a solo dive (95% of my dives are solo) and vis was about 15 ft. I kept seeing these big fish just on the edge of my vis and couldn't make them out. I figured they were Barracudas or something. About 15 minutes into the dive I see one of these fish moving in and Yikes! It's a jumbo fat Bull shark. He was not aggressive at all, just circling me and curious. He kept making passes in my vis and I decided I had enough. I started a slow accent and at about 35 ft off the bottom, the vis turned to Blue water and 100ft of vis. As I sloly accended into the blue water 5 extra large Bull sharks emerged out of the bad vis and they were circling me about 15 ft away. They were not aggressive at all, but not being able to keep an eye on all of them at the sma etime and sheer size of these Bull sharks was a bit nerving. What really scared me was the idea of all those huge sharks being right there and not being able to see them, and the possibility I could have shot a grouper or something. That would have been ugly!

Yesterday afternoon, I was followed all the way to the surface by a couple Bull sharks in 50 ft of vis. I had a big grouper, I just shot, and the sharks never came that close to me. They were just hanging around, and I guess they smelled the blood in the water. Once I hit the surface, the Grouper started thrashing, and one of the sharks instantly raced up from the bottom toward me. He stopped about 20 ft shy of me and then moved off about 40 ft and kept his distance until the boat came over. For whatever reason that does not scare me at all. I can see them and I keep my eyes on them, and I am ready to poke them with a spear if neccesary. But it rarly is neccessary. I poked shark once just to get him to move off and he did. They are not trying to eat you, they are exactly like a dog trying to get you give him a steak. He isn't after you, he is after the steak. What moron would give a steak to a dog becasue hes barking at them. You kick the dog(that some other idiot trained to act like this) and tell him to go lay down. I never carried a powerhead, never will. I think powerheads are false security, and wasted time, while you should be presenting you superiority to the shark in order to keep him away. Instant agression toward the shark is way more important than screwing around trying to get you powerhead on the tip of your gun.
Last week I saw a big unagressive bull shark right before I saw a really nice big Grouper. I figured the only way I could shoot the grouper was if I could get a perfect head shot and hopefully instant kill. The shark was gone at this point, but only for a few minutes, and the thrashing fish struggle would defiantly call him back in very fast. I ended up having to not shoot. It would have been a stupid move and a trophy grouper dinner got away again.
In clear water, while not spearfishing there is a zero chance of shark issues IMO.
In White shark country I might have a different attitude toward the situation.

ratown
05-18-2008, 09:48

Quick story.

The nice thing though about this area, the water is pretty clear. Limit cases of mistaken identity. The irony though, as you go north (of Ft Pierce say) and get out of the shadow of the Bahamas, the waves get better, but the viz gets worse. I have a buddy who got popped surfing at the Sabastian inlet. Carries a nice little scar on his calf. He is in High School though, so chicks dig it.:smiley36:

Don't know if you've been up this way for the Jupiter Fall Classic. If not, you should try. Lots of fun.
Link is here on this site.
JupiterSurf.com (http://www.jupitersurf.com/)
They usually have Brice from Boxelder Live to Love, Love to Live - Boxelder (http://www.boxelder.com/) performing at the Square Grouper Square Grouper - Tiki Bar at Castaway's Marina - Jupiter, FL (http://www.squaregrouper.net/).

That's cool man. I might have to head up in November.

RikRaeder
05-18-2008, 10:14
...They are like dogs. If you have food in your hand, you need to make them aware that they can only have it if you give it to them...

Thanks much for sharing your experience. Your input was quite interesting. I'd just like to point out, though, that I have never heard of a dog over two meters long. I, personally, am not afraid of sharks, but that being said I haven't seen one over four feet, and never any commonly aggressive species. When I do, I think I shall yield the dive to them. While I understand your point, I think I'll leave it to you to represent the dominance of humanity to the toothy ones.

Travelnsj
05-18-2008, 10:20
Grin, great experience....seen many Sharks...two Sharks that I have not and probably will never see unless I hang out with a spear fisherman or go to a Shark feeding is the Bulls and Tigers....since I will never do either I probably will miss seeing them other than by chance.

Desert_Diver
05-18-2008, 11:27
There is an account in the book "Devil's Teeth" by Susan Casey of a diver who was gathering sea urchins (apparently considered a delicacy in parts of Asia) in the Farallon Islands. The Farallons are a seal rookery, which means it is also a great white shark cafeteria. A great white came after the diver. He managed to wedge himself into a crevice where the shark could not get to him and eventually the shark lost interest and left. The diver returned to his boat safely. He also quit diving for sea urchins in the Farallons but more because it became uneconomically feasible than because of the sharks.

Art

Splitlip
05-18-2008, 13:10
Grin:
Interesting.
What are your thoughts on hunters now a days who are sending their catches up on bags (which often lose the fish to a bull). I wonder if the animals might start associating DSMB's with food.

I used to hunt with a guy who would zip his catch inside his wetsuit when sharks got too close. (He is still with us today to the best of my knowledge.)

Grin
05-18-2008, 13:59
I send them up on lift bags all the time. Never heard of one getting eaten like that yet. I'm sure it has happened, but it's not common. Sharks don't have much of a brain. I've sent fish up right in front of sharks and they don't know what it is, and it's not natural, and they can't detect scent that fast. If the fish was struugling on it's way up a shark could probably detect that if he was right there. I was going to float that fish up yesterday but I was task loaded, and done, and the sharks were not aggressive so I just figured I would remain as calm as possible, and go up nice and slow and keep my eyes peeled. I am sure if I floated that fish the sharks would have disappeared. They followed me up because they knew I had a treat they wanted. I just needed a extra set of arms and hands to do that in yesterdays situation.

Grin
05-18-2008, 14:06
...They are like dogs. If you have food in your hand, you need to make them aware that they can only have it if you give it to them...

Thanks much for sharing your experience. Your input was quite interesting. I'd just like to point out, though, that I have never heard of a dog over two meters long. I, personally, am not afraid of sharks, but that being said I haven't seen one over four feet, and never any commonly aggressive species. When I do, I think I shall yield the dive to them. While I understand your point, I think I'll leave it to you to represent the dominance of humanity to the toothy ones.

So your saying you are going to scream and paddle as fast as you can away from the first shark you see over 4 ft. Remember, my way is the only choice. You have to deal with it when they show up, and paniking is the worst thing you can do. Have you ever seen a bear bigger than 4 ft. I think they say the same thing: Don't run away from a bear screaming bloody murder or he'll eat you. I saw that on Discovery channel! :smiley32:

RikRaeder
05-18-2008, 18:44
Please, Grin, you misunderstand. I didn't say that at all. If I'm not afraid of sharks, as I stated, then I won't "...scream and paddle away..." I will definitely get the hell out of the area/water if a large predator takes a persistent interest in me. I don't hunt, and I'm not above defending myself (as if) but I'm simply saying I will gladly yield the field to a big predator. That's true on land or in the water. Panic? Well, no one knows until the big moment comes, but I have never done so in my life, so we'll have to wait and see on that. I was simply stating that dogs are generally smaller than people and so, being animals, naturally easier to intimidate. Next time a five or six meter shark takes an interest in you, let us know how that works out for you; the intimidation thing. Good hunting.

EuphoriaII
05-18-2008, 19:13

I don't worry about them at all when I'm diving and I can see them. Its when I'm floating on a raft 100 yards from shore that I think about it.. alot.

moosicman
05-18-2008, 20:56
You know, Grin and I have kindly debated this before a LONG time ago I think. So I'm not really looking to "enter the ring":). But I do think that we humans get to feeling 10 feet tall and bullet proof if we have a lot of experience under the water. I don't mean that we really let our guards down in terms of scuba safety, but what I do mean is that the shark (or most any other marine animal) has the home field advantage. He can manuever on a dime 'cause it is his home turf. We simply cannot, as it is not our natural environment. But we get to thinking that we can do so and get into a comfort zone (not that we would say this out loud but we sure act like it). We get to thinking because we have some sort of weapon (speargun and tip for instance) that we can ward off an attack. It is a GREAT risk, that so far, Grin and company have come out on the fortunate side of ok. But the shark is not a dog, and we are not dominant over them when in the water. It would be like the little dog that comes around and barks and intimidates my very BIG dog and actually (for now) makes him keep his distance. All it would take is this little dog actually landing one of his nips and my dog is going to show the little dog the meaning of "short man syndrome". But thankfully the little dog hasn't gotten close as my dog stays JUUST out of reach of his nips. But it is only a matter of time. Grin can (and did..lol) disagree but the same phrase applies to spearfishermen that think sharks and dogs are similar when it comes to "submission". It is only a matter of time. It is, of course, their personal calculated risk. And though I certainly hope not, but I fear that one day, the Grins of the dive world will eventually run into the shark that has no intention of "laying down" when kicked as he said they would, similar to dogs. One lightening fast burst of speed, a flip of the tail and Grin would grin no more. But this is one that I don't at all mind being wrong about:).

moosicman
05-19-2008, 22:51
Looks like I killed another one!!!:cussing::anim_rocket:

matt151617
05-19-2008, 23:17
I'll revive it...

It's their territory. I respect them totally, and know their the boss.

hooligan
05-20-2008, 00:03
I've seen sharks on quite a few of my dives. Most seemed pretty uninterested in those "Hoomans". The little horn sharks in Cali are kinda fun to play with. They would come right up and swim around me. They're only like 1-2 feet long.

One of my divemaster friends is planning a hammerhead dive in october. I guess they school in this area around that time. I can't wait for that one.

RoyN
05-20-2008, 01:03
I would rather like to see one, get up close and get a picture of one. Did once with an angel shark. Did't get to take a picture of a pair of leopard sharks in love though.

moosicman
05-20-2008, 06:06
I've seen sharks on quite a few of my dives. Most seemed pretty uninterested in those "Hoomans".

Hoomans....LOL....cute!:smiley20:

RikRaeder
05-20-2008, 08:13
I'm pretty psyched to see the Hammer Head schools that come around here. Have to check with my LDS. I think October is probably dry suit weather here. I think 10 months a year is dry suit weather here. Hammer Heads and Yonaguni rock formation are on my list! Should I start a new thread? "How afraid are you of Yonaguni?"

05-20-2008, 08:33
A friend of mine had a 10 ft sand tiger swim around a wreck with him about 6 feet away almost as if the shark was his dive buddy.

Grin
05-20-2008, 08:57
Your cracking me up :smilie39:
This responses type of thinking is the same sort of ideal that has sharks in the threatened classification / situation they are in these days.

Obviously there are those who do shark dives for the thrill, feeding them and everything.

Those who deal with them as I do. Not doing them any harm and respecting them.

Those who are scared to death of all of them. The same type who thinks sharks are out there waiting for a human meal to enter their lair and anyone who does htis is tempting fate. This comes from the same classification of person that thinks, when there is a shark attack, we need to go shark fishing and catch and kill the monster. The same reason the news hypes a surfer getting bit and 10 stitches with a picture of a Great White skyrocketiing a seal in Africa. Because there are people out there that eat this up 100%.

So lets get this straight: You are afraid to dive because of sharks. You hope I get eaten :smilie39:
And I am getting the feeling you want to save the sharks from???? people who are uninformed about sharks, I guess!
HAAA That's you!
This couldn't get any funnier!

You know, Grin and I have kindly debated this before a LONG time ago I think. So I'm not really looking to "enter the ring":). But I do think that we humans get to feeling 10 feet tall and bullet proof if we have a lot of experience under the water. I don't mean that we really let our guards down in terms of scuba safety, but what I do mean is that the shark (or most any other marine animal) has the home field advantage. He can manuever on a dime 'cause it is his home turf. We simply cannot, as it is not our natural environment. But we get to thinking that we can do so and get into a comfort zone (not that we would say this out loud but we sure act like it). We get to thinking because we have some sort of weapon (speargun and tip for instance) that we can ward off an attack. It is a GREAT risk, that so far, Grin and company have come out on the fortunate side of ok. But the shark is not a dog, and we are not dominant over them when in the water. It would be like the little dog that comes around and barks and intimidates my very BIG dog and actually (for now) makes him keep his distance. All it would take is this little dog actually landing one of his nips and my dog is going to show the little dog the meaning of "short man syndrome". But thankfully the little dog hasn't gotten close as my dog stays JUUST out of reach of his nips. But it is only a matter of time. Grin can (and did..lol) disagree but the same phrase applies to spearfishermen that think sharks and dogs are similar when it comes to "submission". It is only a matter of time. It is, of course, their personal calculated risk. And though I certainly hope not, but I fear that one day, the Grins of the dive world will eventually run into the shark that has no intention of "laying down" when kicked as he said they would, similar to dogs. One lightening fast burst of speed, a flip of the tail and Grin would grin no more. But this is one that I don't at all mind being wrong about:).

huvrr
05-20-2008, 08:59
sand tiger is that the furry ones with the stripes? (paraphased from "Into the Blue")

RikRaeder
05-20-2008, 10:00

What was that Scott guy's name? You know the grizzly guy?
(absent omen)

Grin, as stated, I can respect your opinions, but please don't get defensive.

05-20-2008, 10:08
sand tiger is that the furry ones with the stripes? (paraphased from "Into the Blue")

Pretty much.

Here's a sand tiger shot from ncdivers.com

moosicman
05-20-2008, 15:32
[quote=Grin;175195]Your cracking me up :smilie39:
This responses type of thinking is the same sort of ideal that has sharks in the threatened classification / situation they are in these days.

Obviously there are those who do shark dives for the thrill, feeding them and everything.

Those who are scared to death of all of them. The same type who thinks sharks are out there waiting for a human meal to enter their lair and anyone who does htis is tempting fate. This comes from the same classification of person that thinks, when there is a shark attack, we need to go shark fishing and catch and kill the monster. The same reason the news hypes a surfer getting bit and 10 stitches with a picture of a Great White skyrocketiing a seal in Africa. Because there are people out there that eat this up 100%.

So lets get this straight: You are afraid to dive because of sharks. You hope I get eaten :smilie39:
And I am getting the feeling you want to save the sharks from???? people who are uninformed about sharks, I guess!
HAAA That's you!
This couldn't get any funnier! [quote]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said, I'm not entering the ring....but let's !REALLY! get this straight:

you couldn't have misread me or misunderstood me any more if you tried. I'm not at all afraid of diving with sharks. It is something I look forward to. I just wouldn't be crazy enough to chum the water and ring the dinner bell when I do it while at the same time equating shark behavior with a dogs (this is the most laughable thing I've read in these threads, if anything is funny about them). And I don't at all want anyone to get bitten/attacked/eaten/killed. I don't think that sharks are out there waiting for humans to get in the water to have something to snack on. I don't think you are uninformed about sharks at all. I think you are SERIOUSLY uninformed about your ability to fend one off. And I mean SERIOUSLY. BUTTTTT...like I said: I'll gladly be wrong about this point! (This is your FIRST clue that I'm not hoping you'll get eaten...something you erroneously said in your reply).

Keep Grinning!!:D
I am.

huvrr
05-20-2008, 15:45

Pretty much.

How come theres no stripes? nice shot though that is awesome.

05-20-2008, 15:54

Pretty much.

How come theres no stripes? nice shot though that is awesome.

They have faint grey spots instead of stripes. I don't mind swimming with them. They pretty much only bite spear fishers. A sand tiger shark is usually much more pleasant to be around than a tiger shark, I'm told.

Splitlip
05-20-2008, 16:32
The same reason the news hypes a surfer getting bit and 10 stitches with a picture of a Great White skyrocketiing a seal in Africa. Because there are people out there that eat this up 100%.

I love that ****. It is never a surfer was "bitten", rather, "Another local surfer is lucky to survive a shark attack."

The talking heads often seem disappointed the surfer survives.

Splitlip
05-20-2008, 16:46
I had a surreal encounter once that was interesting.

I was on a night dive some months ago. The other divers in my party were all clustered up terrorizing an octopus or crab or something and bumping into each other like the 3 stooges.

I backed away off by myself and put the light against my chest to check out the bioluminecense. Then I took my light and swung it 360. As I passed the light by my left hip, it lip up a pretty big Reef Shark (I think it was a reefy) a couple feet behind and below me.

Flicked his tail and took off when the light hit him.

moosicman
05-20-2008, 17:22

What was that Scott guy's name? You know the grizzly guy?
(absent omen)

Though it isn't exactly the same, its awfully similar in nature:

Grizzly Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Man)

RikRaeder
05-20-2008, 18:51
My bad. Timothy Treadwell was the Grizzly guy. There's another guy, a "shark" guy who likes to do research with great whites. Maybe that's the Scott. Let me check...hmmm. Couldn't find anything. Anyway, saw this guy on a Discovery chanel documentary. He likes to swim around with great whites and observe their behavior. He has one trick where he carries a painted wooden board that looks like a snarling white shark's face. He swims right at 5m+ sharks with it because he believes they will see him as a dominant shark. It's worked...so far. He's getting some good information on shark behavior, and he's not quite as loopy as Treadwell, but I've just got to wonder how anyone will end up who "knows" what wild animals are thinking and how they'll behave in a given circumstance. Not to say the guy isn't talented, but I should think that he knows the risks and that nothing is for sure when dealing with animals, especially predators. Just want to state again, I don't wish harm on anyone. I'm just saying these are risks I'm not willing to take.

Grin
05-21-2008, 09:53
I fear that one day, the Grins of the dive world will eventually run into the shark that has no intention of "laying down" when kicked as he said they would, similar to dogs. One lightening fast burst of speed, a flip of the tail and Grin would grin no more. But this is one that I don't at all mind being wrong about:).

OMG! I think you forgot about this comment and all the other junk that went with it.
It is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. Sharks scare you, and you think everyone should be like you. All I did was try to make people realize they are not man eating mindless machines. You tryed to take the news attitude. Which shows who spoke about which one knows nothing.
This brings up another topic: Do you believe everything the news tells you? I feel this is exactly where this type of attitude comes from. the headlines are SHARK ATTACK TODAY. But they eave out the part about the surfer that got 3 stitches from a 3 ft shark that mistook him for a 2 inch baitfish. Intead of the incinuation that the surfer was eaten alive. Is their story true? YES!, Is it hype and misdirection? As far as they can stretch it! Are there people out there who eat this BS up and are afraid to go swimming and think there are sharks out there drooling to eat people? I think the response quoted above answers that one.:smilie39:
That quote above is hilarious, all I see is a victim of the News.
Is Florida the shark bite capitol of the world? Yes! But it isn't like Jaws is eating people off the beach as some obviously believe. Most cases result in some surfer kid being proud of his 4 stitches, and going surfing again the next day.
Please! Give the world a break and speak about what you know, instead of what you have been trained to fear by the evening news.
All I did was relay my experience and opinion. I didn't say that's how you should do it. What I gat was the lamest attack back by soemone who's only shark experience is, they're scared of what society has place into their mind.
PAAAAALEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZ :smilie39:

moosicman
05-21-2008, 12:32
I fear that one day, the Grins of the dive world will eventually run into the shark that has no intention of "laying down" when kicked as he said they would, similar to dogs. One lightening fast burst of speed, a flip of the tail and Grin would grin no more. But this is one that I don't at all mind being wrong about:).

OMG! I think you forgot about this comment and all the other junk that went with it.
It is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. Sharks scare you, and you think everyone should be like you. All I did was try to make people realize they are not man eating mindless machines. You tryed to take the news attitude. Which shows who spoke about which one knows nothing.
This brings up another topic: Do you believe everything the news tells you? I feel this is exactly where this type of attitude comes from. the headlines are SHARK ATTACK TODAY. But they eave out the part about the surfer that got 3 stitches from a 3 ft shark that mistook him for a 2 inch baitfish. Intead of the incinuation that the surfer was eaten alive. Is their story true? YES!, Is it hype and misdirection? As far as they can stretch it! Are there people out there who eat this BS up and are afraid to go swimming and think there are sharks out there drooling to eat people? I think the response quoted above answers that one.:smilie39:
That quote above is hilarious, all I see is a victim of the News.
Is Florida the shark bite capitol of the world? Yes! But it isn't like Jaws is eating people off the beach as some obviously believe. Most cases result in some surfer kid being proud of his 4 stitches, and going surfing again the next day.
Please! Give the world a break and speak about what you know, instead of what you have been trained to fear by the evening news.
All I did was relay my experience and opinion. I didn't say that's how you should do it. What I gat was the lamest attack back by soemone who's only shark experience is, they're scared of what society has place into their mind.
PAAAAALEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZ :smilie39:

OOOOOOOOKKKKKKKAAAAAAYYYYY.....IIII""Mmm sorrrrrrrryyyyyyy......

ratown
05-21-2008, 12:35
Not fearing sharks is arrogance.

And I have been around sharks my whole life. If you think a bullshark will swim away in fear because you kicked it, you are wrong.

05-21-2008, 13:12
It depends on what you mean by fear.

By some definition, not fearing the water is arrogance. Water kills far more people than all the things living in it combined. Do we then give up diving because water is dangerous?

I agree that not considering a shark as dangerous is the height of arrogance. But just because sharks can be dangerous does not mean you should necessarily avoid being arround them.

My answer was I give them a first thought but not a second. And that first thought is whether the shark seems agressive. I consider some species aggressive by default. My response depends on the answer to that question.

No Misses
05-21-2008, 13:46
I didnít vote, since none of the options fit my style. I spearfish and am used to seeing sharks while hunting. It can get tense at times. Two weekends ago I bent a spear shaft while poking (pushing off) an inquisitive bull shark. It is amazing how tuff their skin is.

From first sight, I keep my eye on them. Especially if I have a fish on my spear. To date, I have not given up any fish to the gray suited tax collectors. I am sure that some day, I will have to "pay the tax".

ChrisA
05-21-2008, 14:56
I've only seen a "real shark" a few times and in each case the shark saw us and ran away.

The more common types of sharks we have here are harmless. Angel Sharks and Horn Sharks. Once at night in very poor vis (less than two feet) an angle shark bumped into me. It's nose hit the back of my hand pretty hard. The shark did an instant 180 and took off fast. My budy got a better look at it than I did. I only got to see it's nose and some of the wing

Horn sharks are the definition of "non-agressive" I've seen divers pick them up off the bottom or hold them by the tail. They don't seem to mind and when let go they move only about three feet then go back to sleep.

MSilvia
05-21-2008, 15:40
So where do sharks figure in your fear factor?
I'm not afraid of sharks in general, but there are types of sharks I don't want to be in the water with. I think of "sharks" like I think of "dogs"... there's a world of difference between a spastic poodle, a napping basset hound, and a snarling rotweiller. I expect different things from them, and act accordingly. Likewise with sharks. I expect different behaviors from schooling spiny dogfish, cruising nurse sharks, territorial bulls, and curious tigers, and I act accordingly.

Where do you dive?
Mostly coastal New England.

Are they a consideration?
Not usually, at least not until you get a ways offshore. Spiny dogfish are the only common sharks in coastal waters, and they're mostly either absent, or a nuisance when fishing.

Should they be ;)

I usually don't give them a thought. I'd be more suprised than anything else if I saw a large shark of any sort while diving around here.

moosicman
05-21-2008, 16:27
I didnít vote, since none of the options fit my style. I spearfish and am used to seeing sharks while hunting. It can get tense at times. Two weekends ago I bent a spear shaft while poking (pushing off) an inquisitive bull shark. It is amazing how tuff their skin is.

From first sight, I keep my eye on them. Especially if I have a fish on my spear. To date, I have not given up any fish to the gray suited tax collectors. I am sure that some day, I will have to "pay the tax".

This is a FAR more respectable opinion than some that I've seen:smiley20:. Way to go No Missess!

And for the FREAKIN' record:

I'M NOT AFRAID OF SHARKS
(I'll swim with them any day...don't believe me??? Pay for my dives and I'll prove it to ya! LOL:smiley32:

georoc01
05-21-2008, 17:30
Back in Australia, I was trying to get a pic of a white tip up close that was resting on the bottom. I took three passes and as I would get close enough, he would swim away and then come back. I finally gave up.

Seen lots of Nurse sharks in Cozumel. In Bonaire last week, in 18 dives, we saw one Nurse shark sleeping under a rock where you wondered, (how the heck did he get back in there?)

05-21-2008, 21:04
Back in Australia, I was trying to get a pic of a white tip up close that was resting on the bottom. I took three passes and as I would get close enough, he would swim away and then come back. I finally gave up.

Seen lots of Nurse sharks in Cozumel. In Bonaire last week, in 18 dives, we saw one Nurse shark sleeping under a rock where you wondered, (how the heck did he get back in there?)

Come dive the Spar or Papoose out of Morehead City, NC and you are almost guaranteed to see sharks that are bigger than you. More like 18 per dive than 1 per 18 dives.

moosicman
05-21-2008, 21:44

Come dive the Spar or Papoose out of Morehead City, NC and you are almost guaranteed to see sharks that are bigger than you. More like 18 per dive than 1 per 18 dives.

Cool! I was given an opportunity to do a dive off of NC with ?Oceana? I believe it was (I could be wrong about that) as a research volunteer. I could get a 20 percent tax deduction for the price since I would be helping w/ research. But it is 12 hours away. I do hope to do some diving off of NC someday. I hear a ton of good things about the shark diving there!

Splitlip
05-21-2008, 22:30
Story posted by a Jupiter diver
Shark rescue
Did you tune in for Shark Week on Discovery channel this year? I did and I must say they leaned more toward sharks being a kinder gentler animal that has been misjudged for a few violent deaths. The stories seemed to be more about shark lovers and their plight to educate the world on the over fished mistreated population. I love sharks but the tree hugging was starting to get to me until I saw one story where Dr. Samuel Gruber from University of Miami was showing the Sharkman how he was able to put a shark into a catatonic state by turning him upside down. Interesting. Sharkman later went to Bahamas and was shown a procedure where the diver "tickled" the shark's nose and put it into a catatonic state. Sharkman was able to take this trick with him and put a large tiger "asleep" somewhere near Africa.
I guess because sharks scare us, we are always interested in a possible Vulcan like sleeper hold that would put a shark down before they ripped your arm off. I thought to myself, I'd like to try this. Good sense and adulthood dismissed the thought. The next day I was diving with a few good friends on the deep ledge near the HOLE IN THE WALL. Angie was to my left and occasionally honked when she spotted something cool like a big turtle or moray. Angie honked and I got curious as to what she might be seeing. She then started squealing. I kicked over, and just up current; I could see a shark lying on the bottom. The current was ripping in the 2 plus knot range so I descended and held on to a rock until I could see the shark was not swimming off. I rock climbed back against the current and observed the shark. It was about 7 feet long, probably a Dusky or Sandbar and was hooked in some kind of a commercial rig. The shark was attached to 600# test white mono that was coupled to a stainless steel cable that was hooked into the reef somewhere up current. The shark couldn't move any further down current so I approached from the rear. I reached up and touched her and she exploded. It took me that long to realize this was a bad idea. By now, 2 other divers had latched on to the bottom near the sight and were wondering what I was going to do to help this poor animal. I was surrounded by do gooders so I remembered everything I learned from last night's show and reached over the shark and began rubbing just under the snout, too close to the teeth. To my surprise, she calmed down. I then switched hands, grabbed her by the dorsal and flipped her onto her back. I kept rubbing the area and slowly made my way to the hook. Yes, the one in her mouth! I noticed the hook was aluminum or some soft metal and would deteriorate over time so I elected to cut the line. As I sawed on the thick mono, the shark just slept. I cut the line and turned her right side up. A quick tug back and forth to help oxygenate her (I learned this on a fishing show) and she swam off. I kept the mono as a token and headed for the surface before the shark came back. I may be dumb enough to try this but I didn't think she would come back to thank me. Back on the boat I felt safe and experienced an unusual high. I was happy. Happy that I wasn't eaten by a ferocious animal and yes I will admit it, happy to be a do gooder and help preserve the Kings of the Ocean, our friends the sharks.

moosicman
05-21-2008, 23:12
That was a truly amazing story! I thank you for it and for what you did! I wish I had been there. It is hard to believe, but I believe you and raise my glass to you!

Splitlip
05-22-2008, 05:44
That was a truly amazing story! I thank you for it and for what you did! I wish I had been there. It is hard to believe, but I believe you and raise my glass to you!
I wish I could take the credit, but it was not me. I do know the guy. though.

moosicman
05-22-2008, 07:31
I wish I could take the credit, but it was not me. I do know the guy. though.

Ok, then all I said to THAT guy! LOL:smilie40:

RikRaeder
05-22-2008, 07:44
It seems that of the 80 respondants so far, only 10% could be termed "afraid" of sharks (and that with my tongue in cheek fear factor categories). Not what I'd call a mass panic.

Grin
05-22-2008, 08:21

This is a FAR more respectable opinion than some that I've seen:smiley20:. Way to go No Missess!

I'M NOT AFRAID OF SHARKS
(I'll swim with them any day...don't believe me??? Pay for my dives and I'll prove it to ya! LOL:smiley32:

No Misses is my best dive partner. He was diving off my boat in his described incident a few weeks ago. But he always deals with it the same way I do. Funny how you hate my method, but like Daves :smilie39: Go do a search of No Misses "running with the bulls" story. That incident was off my boat also.

georoc01
05-22-2008, 09:20
It seems that of the 80 respondants so far, only 10% could be termed "afraid" of sharks (and that with my tongue in cheek fear factor categories). Not what I'd call a mass panic.

I find that most divers are truly afraid of sharks. But when I talk to non divers, its their biggest fear.

05-22-2008, 10:05

I find that most divers are truly afraid of sharks. But when I talk to non divers, its their biggest fear.

Sharks are the reason my wife gives for not getting certified.

The number two question I get from non-divers is 'aren't you afraid of sharks?' Number one is 'how deep do you go?'

moosicman
05-22-2008, 10:39

I'M NOT AFRAID OF SHARKS

No Misses is my best dive partner. He was diving off my boat in his described incident a few weeks ago. But he always deals with it the same way I do. Funny how you hate my method, but like Daves :smilie39: Go do a search of No Misses "running with the bulls" story. That incident was off my boat also.

Didn't say I hated it. Once again you put words in my mouth!LOL What I would have said is that your attitude that diving with sharks in a somewhat "chummy" environment (which, any intellegent spearfishermen would agree is the case) doesn't carry with it any greater level of danger than being around a domesticated animal (DOG) that may be barking at you and you can "dominate" into submission is......FOOOOLIIIISSSHHH!

The fact that No Misses dives with you supports your side of the argument not one iota (this reminds me of the kindergarden sandbox debate of "he's my friend not yours/he's on my team not yours" type of thing). But what he DOES seem to say, and which you don't, is that he is aware that there is a distinct possibility that he may one day have to "pay the tax"; meaning that he is aware that it can be a dangerous, risky situation to put oneself in and he has a healthy respect for that. I'm simply saying you don't appear to have one of those, but rather seem to take the approach that you are bullet proof and can easily tame, domesticate, and dominate the shark. To boil it down to a very fine point: YOU can dominate the SHARK. This may be the case for some sharks. But I imagine that you are playing a game of Russian Roulette. But I do not hate your sport. I am glad you enjoy it. I just think your attitude is a bit reckless, though it matters not, because you are definitly entitled to it!:) It is your life and limb to gamble with.

05-22-2008, 11:21
I hear a ton of good things about the shark diving there!

We just call it diving.

When I think of shark diving I think of going to the Bahamas and chumming the water to attract them and get them into a frenzy, which is a horrible practice if you ask me.

Most of the encounters offshore here are with Sand Tigers. Of course there are Bulls and even some Great Whites from time to time: http://dejavideo.net/great_white2.mpg (http://dejavideo.net/great_white2.mpg) Here's the story: North Carolina (http://dejavideo.net/graveyard.htm)

harb99
05-22-2008, 13:14
I hear a ton of good things about the shark diving there!

We just call it diving.

When I think of shark diving I think of going to the Bahamas and chumming the water to attract them and get them into a frenzy, which is a horrible practice if you ask me.

Most of the encounters offshore here are with Sand Tigers. Of course there are Bulls and even some Great Whites from time to time: http://dejavideo.net/great_white2.mpg (http://dejavideo.net/great_white2.mpg) Here's the sory: North Carolina (http://dejavideo.net/graveyard.htm)

thanks for the post - good story / vid of the great white

DUnder
05-23-2008, 10:59
Sharks don't bother me, but then I dive in land locked fresh water

JimHar99
05-23-2008, 11:23
I had always wondered what it would be like to be in the water with sharks. So, while I was diving in Roatan I went on a shark dive. We were about 70 feet down with about 15 grey reef sharks. I never felt threatened.

Now, if I was in the water and there was a tiger or bull shark around, I'm sure it would be a deffernt story.

longtailbda
05-23-2008, 17:13
In the early 80's while wreck diving a large school(?) of 6-8ft hammerheads swam on by. It was a bit disconcerting initially but very cool in the telling.

Grin
05-24-2008, 07:40
I didn’t vote, since none of the options fit my style. I spearfish and am used to seeing sharks while hunting. It can get tense at times. Two weekends ago I bent a spear shaft while poking (pushing off) an inquisitive bull shark. It is amazing how tuff their skin is.

I'M NOT AFRAID OF SHARKS

Didn't say I hated it. Once again you put words in my mouth!LOL What I would have said is that your attitude that diving with sharks in a somewhat "chummy" environment (which, any intellegent spearfishermen would agree is the case) doesn't carry with it any greater level of danger than being around a domesticated animal (DOG) that may be barking at you and you can "dominate" into submission is......FOOOOLIIIISSSHHH!

The fact that No Misses dives with you supports your side of the argument not one iota (this reminds me of the kindergarden sandbox debate of "he's my friend not yours/he's on my team not yours" type of thing). But what he DOES seem to say, and which you don't, is that he is aware that there is a distinct possibility that he may one day have to "pay the tax"; meaning that he is aware that it can be a dangerous, risky situation to put oneself in and he has a healthy respect for that. I'm simply saying you don't appear to have one of those, but rather seem to take the approach that you are bullet proof and can easily tame, domesticate, and dominate the shark. To boil it down to a very fine point: YOU can dominate the SHARK. This may be the case for some sharks. But I imagine that you are playing a game of Russian Roulette. But I do not hate your sport. I am glad you enjoy it. I just think your attitude is a bit reckless, though it matters not, because you are definitly entitled to it!:) It is your life and limb to gamble with.

:smilie39: You still have no idea what your talking about! When he says he'll have to "pay the taxman someday" he means he might have to give up his speared fish someday. He didn't mean he thinks he might get eaten someday. When you use descritptions of me as "Russian Roulette" and "reckless" for doing what? It only shows you are trying to depend a wrong position you got yourself into here many posts ago. But keep it coming! It's great entertainment to watch someone crash and burn.
The only reason I keep checking this thread is it is great entertainment to witness someone fight a loosing battle. Your little kiddy tirad as follows is what started all this:

"You know, Grin and I have kindly debated this before a LONG time ago I think. So I'm not really looking to "enter the ring":). But I do think that we humans get to feeling 10 feet tall and bullet proof if we have a lot of experience under the water. I don't mean that we really let our guards down in terms of scuba safety, but what I do mean is that the shark (or most any other marine animal) has the home field advantage. He can manuever on a dime 'cause it is his home turf. We simply cannot, as it is not our natural environment. But we get to thinking that we can do so and get into a comfort zone (not that we would say this out loud but we sure act like it). We get to thinking because we have some sort of weapon (speargun and tip for instance) that we can ward off an attack. It is a GREAT risk, that so far, Grin and company have come out on the fortunate side of ok. But the shark is not a dog, and we are not dominant over them when in the water. It would be like the little dog that comes around and barks and intimidates my very BIG dog and actually (for now) makes him keep his distance. All it would take is this little dog actually landing one of his nips and my dog is going to show the little dog the meaning of "short man syndrome". But thankfully the little dog hasn't gotten close as my dog stays JUUST out of reach of his nips. But it is only a matter of time. Grin can (and did..lol) disagree but the same phrase applies to spearfishermen that think sharks and dogs are similar when it comes to "submission". It is only a matter of time. It is, of course, their personal calculated risk. And though I certainly hope not, but I fear that one day, the Grins of the dive world will eventually run into the shark that has no intention of "laying down" when kicked as he said they would, similar to dogs. One lightening fast burst of speed, a flip of the tail and Grin would grin no more. But this is one that I don't at all mind being wrong about:)."

Now that's a piece of work! Very informative Mooicman. I would like to print that out and make all my divers read it before they enter the water with your permission. :grinno:

moosicman
05-24-2008, 09:18
There is no right or wrong here. We are debating opinions. No loosing battles, no crash-and-burns on either side, despite what you think. So here again, as in several other posts I've made, I'm not trying to be "right". I am not so ignorant and immature that I need to delve into some childish internet "fight". Perhaps both of us have strayed over that line already. But it stops right here.

RikRaeder
05-24-2008, 11:23
Children, children. Play time is over. Let's talk about sharks and put our egos away, shall we. Let's just all agree that I am right and you all are wrong. ;)

RikRaeder
05-24-2008, 11:26
Better yet, follow the link and knock yourselves out!
http://forum.scubatoys.com/complaints-problems/13405-moosciman-v-grin-argument-thread.html#post176913

Grin
05-25-2008, 07:44
Why did you leave your name out of the title of your new thread RikRaeder?
You throwing Moosicman under the bus here without standing beside him? :smiley20:

moosicman
05-25-2008, 08:09
I started this in its own thread, but I thought I would take the OP's lead and actually talk about sharks with the rest of the adults in the thread.;)

Hate to see this happen of course. I wonder what the rash of attacks here lately is due to. I haven't looked at this closely in the ISAF files but I'm going to look and see if this is typical (year to date/attacks) but just usually hasn't been noticed by the media in the past or if this is a little bit of an elevated rate of attacks. I know we are overfishing our oceans, which means less food for the big hungries. Then again, we land dwellers are in the water more these days. But if you don't mind I'll beat everyone else to the punch---ITS THE MEDIA (bash, bash, bash)....ok that is done and not really needed in any further posts:smiley20:. Now, lets look beyond that "reason" and see what the facts that we can know have to say. Off to the ISAF!

Splitlip
05-25-2008, 08:26
Now let's be realistic. This is a diving forum. The threat from a shark for a diver is a lot different than for a surfer. I do both.

Surfing generally is done in churned up water where visibility is limited. Often the best surfing is found around inlets where the breakwater developes a point break or between a sand bar and the beach. Both favored by sharks for feeding.
The inlet because they feed on crap from the outgoing tide and sandbars where they can corral bait and bigger prey corraling bait. Also Bulls bear their young up river in these places.
A surfer's hand or foot dangling in the churned up water is occasionally investigted by the shark as a possible bite size treat.
A Scubadiver on the other hand is normally quite visible to the shark and is about 7 ft long and 2 to 3 ft thick. There is easier prey for them.

RikRaeder
05-25-2008, 10:31
What I was thinking about here, as far as "fear of sharks," was the visceral and unreasonable type. The little creepy feeling you get on the safety stop, deco, or whatever. We divers all know that the odds of having shark related problems is miniscule, but we've all also seen Jaws, and many of us have been conditioned: Shark, bad.
As to the recent increase in shark v. human interactions; who knows? More humans in the water...less natural snacks for sharks to eat...or maybe, just maybe they're all in on it together...plotting against us...planning in the murky depths...
Candygram?

moosicman
05-25-2008, 11:46
Now let's be realistic. This is a diving forum. The threat from a shark for a diver is a lot different than for a surfer. I do both.

Surfing generally is done in churned up water where visibility is limited. Often the best surfing is found around inlets where the breakwater developes a point break or between a sand bar and the beach. Both favored by sharks for feeding.
The inlet because they feed on crap from the outgoing tide and sandbars where they can corral bait and bigger prey corraling bait. Also Bulls bear their young up river in these places.
A surfer's hand or foot dangling in the churned up water is occasionally investigted by the shark as a possible bite size treat.
A Scubadiver on the other hand is normally quite visible to the shark and is about 7 ft long and 2 to 3 ft thick. There is easier prey for them.

Oh yeah! I definitly agree. I just thought it was a good point of information. But dude, I definitly couldn't surf. I don't have a fear diving with sharks but I would fear them if I was a surfer. You and the other surfing clan have nerves of STEEL! LOL I've often thought about trying it, because it MUST be fun for folks to run the risks they do in placed like Austrailia and off the coast of the Pacific. I just don't have the guts. I don't really get out and swim in the surf when at the beach. And if I do wade in I am in CONSTANT watch for bait fish running, shadows, and other telling signs of sharkiness. I've always heard that if you see porpoise (is that the plural of that word?) jumping that is a possible indicator of predators, namely sharks, around. Hang 10 for me! I am too much a sceeerdy cat!

DevilDiver
05-25-2008, 13:18
Is this too close?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2317/2268447952_76e8190a72.jpg

How about this?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/2310405957_29db1c9df2.jpg

:smiley36:

Splitlip
05-25-2008, 14:02

Oh yeah! I definitly agree. I just thought it was a good point of information. But dude, I definitly couldn't surf. I don't have a fear diving with sharks but I would fear them if I was a surfer. You and the other surfing clan have nerves of STEEL! LOL I've often thought about trying it, because it MUST be fun for folks to run the risks they do in placed like Austrailia and off the coast of the Pacific. I just don't have the guts. I don't really get out and swim in the surf when at the beach. And if I do wade in I am in CONSTANT watch for bait fish running, shadows, and other telling signs of sharkiness. I've always heard that if you see porpoise (is that the plural of that word?) jumping that is a possible indicator of predators, namely sharks, around. Hang 10 for me! I am too much a sceeerdy cat!

I AM concerned when my 16 year old daughter surfs. She is fearless and stronger than I so I have trouble keeping up with her. She also likes to sit way outside rather than fight with some of the guys in the line up. Although for the most part they are pretty good about giving girls a wave. There are however some older guys who contributed much to the local surf community who drop in on anybody, including girls younger than mine. Think they earned it I guess. Sorry, I digress.

Reason dolphin are associated with the predators, they eat the same food.

SotoCanoScuba
05-30-2008, 11:38
Here is how I look at it. When I am diving they don't bother me. When I am on the surface they freak me the hell out. I hate not being able to see what's under me.

Empacher
06-01-2008, 00:58
I saw some White tips off the coast of playa conchal in CR

RikRaeder
06-02-2008, 16:01
How did that make you feel?

buddhasummer
06-03-2008, 08:05
Not afraid at all, love seeing them I just wish it was more often, that being said I might be a bit scared if I came face to face with a Tiger, Bull, Great White or Oceanic White Tip, in that order, but would still love to see one albeit at a safe distance. Some perspective from the Int Shark Attack File from 1580-2007 there have been documented 2199 attacks world wide with only 471 being fatal, of course Im sure this number is on the low side given records until the mid 1900s were sketchy and of course not all attacks are reported but even so given the numbers of people in the oceans at any given time, Ill take those odds. According to records surfers and swimmers are at a much greater risk, so keep on diving.

America is no#1 880 attacks, Australia no#2 with 345 attacks, Africa no#3 with 276 attacks, Pacific no#4 with 131, Asia no#5 with 117, Hawaii no#6 with 113, South America no#7 with 100 and the rest are all less than 60. When ya think about it these are pretty small numbers with only a small percentage of those attacks resulting in a fatality and an even smaller number of those involving scuba divers.

Its all good.