PDA

View Full Version : Weights...Lead Warning Scared My Wife

Cichlid
08-05-2007, 22:04
When we were in Sport Chalet today my wife saw a warning about lead above the weight display. You know, lead causes cancer, birth defects, growing an extra toe out of your neck, the usual stuff. What do you guys do with your weights? I think I read on here someone saying you could see the lead dust in the water or on the bottom when diving with soft weights. Are all the weights usually lead? What's the best option? :smiley11:

MEL-DC Diver
08-05-2007, 22:09
Unless you plan on eating it, not a concern. The sign is likely the result of someone getting in front of some legal action that's bound to come from some diver when the real issue was that they ate paint chips as a child.

Vercingetorix
08-05-2007, 22:13
Although the soft lead weights cause dust, the hard, molded weights do not. As MEL-DC mentioned, unless you plan on eating them, then no problem. As for me, I like mine slow-roasted over an open-pit mesquite coal pile and slathered with a tangy bar-b-q sauce. Mmmmm...tasty.

Dive-aholic
08-05-2007, 22:18
It's not an issue. SC has been involved in a few scuba related law suits, so I think their lawyers are a little skittish and make them post warnings on everything!

DirtyWaterIL
08-06-2007, 00:30
Although the soft lead weights cause dust, the hard, molded weights do not. As MEL-DC mentioned, unless you plan on eating them, then no problem. As for me, I like mine slow-roasted over an open-pit mesquite coal pile and slathered with a tangy bar-b-q sauce. Mmmmm...tasty.

I'm partial to teriyaki and onion on mine

cummings66
08-06-2007, 11:46
I don't have any concerns about lead and diving, the bricks at any rate. However, were it my wife and she was thinking about becoming pregnant, first off she would not be diving, and second all lead would be removed from anywhere she visits.

I cast lead bullets and I did just that when we decided to have my daughter 4 years ago. No lead anywhere near the normal areas, I packed up everything and moved it out.

I believe it can be harmful given ingestion and would be careful. My dive weights in that case would be encased in a rubber of some sort to remove even more possible contamination sources.

turtle_guy
08-10-2007, 00:05
I noticed a white liquid coming out of my weights after a dive and asked my shop what it was and they told me it was an environment protector goop on the shot i don't know if this was true but i believe them

Phestr
08-10-2007, 02:44
Okay, that's kinda weird. And does it work very well if it leaks out? Anyway, I've been diving my soft weights for about 2 years, and haven't noticed any dust. Does it usually come out in the water, or do you notice it in whatever you keep your weights?

Doghouse
08-10-2007, 06:20
If you cast, and hunt, you know that led is being replaced with some other metal. It melts much higher, but does not have as much of a health problem.

I have been making my own weights, and using the alternative shot. They are a little larger due to the lower (g/qcm) value.

That could eleviate her fears.

emmagee
08-12-2007, 10:53
Some idiot sued them over lead poisoning and their attorney advised them to post the warning. This is the same reason baby strollers have a warning label that says 'warning, do not fold with baby inside.'

Ambulance chasing attorneys and folks looking for a fast buck at someone else's expense are the reason for this non-sense.

nferra2
08-12-2007, 12:08
Oh, but I fold the stroller with the baby inside, it is a good storage compartment for the baby.

porsche060
08-12-2007, 15:09
Have a warning for lead on my game controller

cummings66
08-12-2007, 18:20
If you cast, and hunt, you know that led is being replaced with some other metal.

I think thats mainly for shotguns. I've seen no such restrictions or issues with long guns or pistols. I still collect wheel weights and turn them into 250 gr RNLP for my colt SAA.

comet24
08-13-2007, 07:27
If your worried just get the plastic coated weights. Lead is dangerous but you really need to ingest it or be around a large amount of lead dust. Such as sanding the old lead paint found in older homes. Solid lead weights are not doing to produces dangerous amounts of lead in the air so unless you start eating your weights your be OK.

Vegas
08-16-2007, 17:40
. . . .unless you start eating your weights your be OK.

so much for my dinner plans... :smiley36:

plot
08-18-2007, 09:40
my weights are coated with something... doubt any led gets out

Scout
08-21-2007, 11:37
It seems like you could coat your weights in some of that latex rubber stuff that they sell at Home Depot for coating tool handles. One treatment would control any dust or particulate loss.

Vercingetorix
08-21-2007, 11:55
my weights are coated with something...Asbestos?

greyzen
08-21-2007, 11:56
Liquid latex is easy to obtain... just dip the weights.

Or use the stroller after you unpack the baby... that way the metal is already coated

CompuDude
08-21-2007, 11:58
I noticed a white liquid coming out of my weights after a dive and asked my shop what it was and they told me it was an environment protector goop on the shot i don't know if this was true but i believe them

Complete BS. The milky whitish liquid you see coming out is pure lead powder.

If your worried just get the plastic coated weights. Lead is dangerous but you really need to ingest it or be around a large amount of lead dust. Such as sanding the old lead paint found in older homes. Solid lead weights are not doing to produces dangerous amounts of lead in the air so unless you start eating your weights your be OK.

The powder coming off of the lead shot is pure lead dust, in FAR higher concentrations than ever existed in lead paint. Just look at the current hoopla going on with children's toys from China painted with lead paint.

Lead (dust, especially) is bad for the environment. Soft weights are one of the worst things to happen to the dive industry, from an environmental perspective... they continually generate lead dust from all the pellets rubbing together, and every time one breaks they dump a large handful of lead shot all over the place. :smiley21: The only exception is bismuth weights (instead of lead), but those are very rare and hard to find... I've only heard of their existence, never seen it first hand.

If you're concerned about lead exposure (and you should be), two simple precautions will take care of this, however. First, use the vinyl-coated hard weights to avoid the powder residue that comes from all of the soft weights. Second, wash your hands after you handle your weights. And keep them out of your mouth (and away from food) until you wash them.

Sport Chalet and any major chain store is required by the state to post warning signs around anything with lead content. You'll often find similar warning signs in the fishing department near the weights there. It's nothing to lose sleep over.

robanna
08-21-2007, 16:44
Plasti Dip® for your hard weights.
I found it at Harbor Freight (http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=plasti+dip&Submit=Go) for 1/2 the price of Home Depot.

comet24
08-21-2007, 16:56
Plasti Dip® for your hard weights.
I found it at Harbor Freight (http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=plasti+dip&Submit=Go) for 1/2 the price of Home Depot.

Just make sure your weight belt will still go through the slots.

Hollywood703
08-22-2007, 11:44
You can also vinyl coat your lead you already own........its a fairly easy process......if your worried about it....just cover them yourself, or buy some already covered.

mark44883
08-25-2007, 17:35
you know if you eat the weights you wouldn't have to carry them on your side.

terrillja
08-25-2007, 18:35
If you cast, and hunt, you know that led is being replaced with some other metal. It melts much higher, but does not have as much of a health problem.

I have been making my own weights, and using the alternative shot. They are a little larger due to the lower (g/qcm) value.

That could eleviate her fears.

I believe that you are referring to tin shot. I use it for fly fishing.

scubasamurai
08-26-2007, 19:30
with lead unless you ingeste it or breath the dust your pretty safe especially if you wash your hands or wear a dust mask, with shot lead it isn't really a problem. if your wife is really concern wash you hand after handling and get tested. i would after your child is born to lock the weights up high, those little buggers can break open even the most child resistant cap. so ingestion is a concern.