PDA

View Full Version : Backup ~

coral cowgirl
05-17-2008, 00:58
I like my Pelican Nemo 8 as a primary light, but am looking for the:

smallest (pockets are limited on my BC),
and the
brightest (don't see too good at night.)

DOWNDEEP73
05-17-2008, 01:07
I have a mismatch of lights.....The smallest is a pelican mitylite 1900.

buddhasummer
05-19-2008, 19:39
for the price $65, size and output perhaps you should look at the Oxycheq 3w raider or if you want really small $80 perhaps the OMS Vega.

cmburch
05-19-2008, 23:39
This is my favorite little backup light. I strap it to my gun for seeing in rocks and crevasses.

UK Mini Q40 Plus eLED Dive Light, Dive Lights, Underwater Kinetics, UK Mini Q40 Plus eLED Dive Light (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Q40minieLed)

freeski4ever
05-20-2008, 00:00
I prefer the Tusa TUL-300 LED light. It's $79.95 at ScubaToys, but it is an amazing little light. It is made from aircraft aluminum and uses lithium batteries. It's small, lightweight, and packs a punch. It's probably the best light for the money. I like it because it's aluminum, and has a better feel than plastic bodied lights.

doczerothree
05-20-2008, 09:16
This is my favorite little backup light. I strap it to my gun for seeing in rocks and crevasses.

UK Mini Q40 Plus eLED Dive Light, Dive Lights, Underwater Kinetics, UK Mini Q40 Plus eLED Dive Light (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Q40minieLed)

really good back up, small and be clipped or stowed, very light (mini Q40)

longtailbda
05-22-2008, 15:51
If you like the pelican light I currently use the 2010, not the smallest light, but gives long service and great light.

Madmax1997
05-22-2008, 21:17
I use the UK mini Q40 E-led, very small easy to clip and very bright. Very good price at ST, I paid mine 45$ CDN and it was a HUGE special...

The shipping cost to Canada is just too high for this type of item. Nothing or very little ST can do.:smiley19:

awap
05-23-2008, 08:57
It is hard to beat an Ikelite PCa for small, bright, reliable, and affordable.

CompuDude
05-23-2008, 15:46
The UK Mini Q40 eLED is a great, tiny little backup light that goes forever.

For a small primary dive light, though, with limited storage space available, and plans for only occasional recreational night dives, I think the OxyCheq Raider is a light that CAN'T be beat. I think you might find you like it better than the Nemo.

ChrisA
05-23-2008, 16:12

I'll second that. Very bright beam. As bright as a primary light only a much narrower beam. It eats batteries fast but in rec diving a backup does not need a long burn time.
I paid $25 for mine

You said "pocket". Make sure you can find and unzip the pocket with your eyes closed. If you need to dig out the backup after the primary fails it will be "way dark". Make sure there is no way to loose the backup between the time when you unzip the pocket to when you turn on the light. Maybe a tether? I keep my backup on a shoulder strap d-ring

The PCa is a good daytime dive light too.

cummings66
05-23-2008, 16:21
I think a backup should be able to last a little while, IMO I'd say an hour long would be a good burn time and long enough to get you back. The exact length of time would depend on what exactly you need it to back you up on.

DOWNDEEP73
05-23-2008, 23:32

I'll second that. Very bright beam. As bright as a primary light only a much narrower beam. It eats batteries fast but in rec diving a backup does not need a long burn time.
I paid $25 for mine

You said "pocket". Make sure you can find and unzip the pocket with your eyes closed. If you need to dig out the backup after the primary fails it will be "way dark". Make sure there is no way to loose the backup between the time when you unzip the pocket to when you turn on the light. Maybe a tether? I keep my backup on a shoulder strap d-ring

The PCa is a good daytime dive light too.
Third!

PC SPECIFICATIONS
Size 2.5" x 6"
Intensity 7.2 watts
Beam Concentrated Spot
Lamp Halogen 5.0 volt
Batteries 4 alkaline "C"
Burn time 4 Hours
Weight in air 1.1lb
Depth rating 300'

LCF
05-24-2008, 04:49
A friend of mine has an Intova LED light -- it's small, focused and very bright. I was impressed -- it was pretty much equivalent to my husband's Scout/LED upgrade, and much brighter than my Salvo Rat Jr.

Z-naught
05-25-2008, 01:17
I suggest you have a look at Green Force's (http://green-force.com/) Diamond Plus (http://www.green-force.com/Manuals/English/Diamond_general_info.htm) and Ceto D (http://www.green-force.com/Manuals/English/Ceto_general_info.html). I use the Diamond Plus, which is a back up light, and have found it to be wonderful. It is compact, robustly designed, produces a nicely bright beam, and has a 6 hour burn time on two lithium batteries. It also has a modular construction, so the light head and body can be separated and interchanged with other Green Force dive lights. The Ceto D is a new product and appears to be a really nifty light. It shares much with the Diamond Plus in size and power, but has an SOS, strobe, and several dimness settings. Very cool. Green Force's products are a bit pricey, but just like the old maxim, you get what you pay for.

coral cowgirl
05-30-2008, 00:36
I've got to spend some more time googling and pricing these options..........several of them are just what I had in mind, got to made a decision pretty quick to get it in time for next trip tho. Thanks all~

rawalker
05-30-2008, 02:05
I use the UK Q40 eLED Plus it's the 2 Watt version. Light output is a good strong beam and battery life is not shabby.