PDA

View Full Version : End of the world?

RikRaeder
05-17-2008, 05:03
Knowing that internet wisdom is by far the best, I'd like to hear from the users here: What will cause the end of life as we know it, or the planet itself even? Dare I say even the universe? Do we have such scope?

Bigg_Budd
05-17-2008, 06:16
Kind of a heavy topic, dude. But, if I had to venture to guess, I'd say that if we don't take better care of Mother Earth, and continue to deplete her resources, we're in for a bleak future.

PlatypusMan
05-17-2008, 06:31
Knowing that internet wisdom is by far the best, I'd like to hear from the users here: What will cause the end of life as we know it, or the planet itself even?

War, or an incurable, untreatable pandemic. Or both.

Dare I say even the universe? Do we have such scope?

The Universe is easy. Entropy.

:smilie40:

scubasamurai
05-17-2008, 07:35
humans are the universe's worst virus. we consume everything we touch and don't replace it and soon our population will outstrip our resources this planet provides for us, causing its demise!

Bert
05-17-2008, 08:33
WAR. will be our down fall.
I do not know how WWII will be fought but I know WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones~Einstine

doczerothree
05-17-2008, 10:24
[quote=RikRaeder;174064]Knowing that internet wisdom is by far the best, I'd like to hear from the users here: What will cause the end of life as we know it, or the planet itself even? Dare I say even the universe? Do we have such scope?[/quote

WE ARE The cause of any effect regarding the place in which we live. We are too insignificant to lay claim of anything else.:smiley2:

Beaucoupfishies
05-17-2008, 11:44
12/21/2012 if you're into Mayan history.

tc_rain
05-17-2008, 12:15
I'm sorry but I can't help it, Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Dive Rong
05-17-2008, 12:52
Government regulation of air refills - DRg

imasinker
05-17-2008, 17:18
Human's will end It all, and mother nature will clean it up and take out the garbage. The earth has the ability to cleans itself. It will rejuvenate itself and cleans itself of the toxins, unfortunately we have become the toxins. Tsunami's, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornado's globo warming disease etc. Hasn't anyone realized how much more frequent they happen.

RECDiver
05-17-2008, 19:00
Humans.

Bill1979
05-17-2008, 19:04
[quote]The Universe is easy. Entropy.
I agree about this stament as i pertains to the universe.
On the other hand life on Earth changes every minute technically life is never as we know it as we still don't fully understand what it is.
This is, of couse, comming from a biologist.

68raggtop
05-17-2008, 20:35
Internet air fills.:anim_stick:

Soonerwink
05-17-2008, 20:48
Knowing that internet wisdom is by far the best, I'd like to hear from the users here: What will cause the end of life as we know it, or the planet itself even? Dare I say even the universe? Do we have such scope?
GOD! How much patience does he have?

DOWNDEEP73
05-17-2008, 20:56
Here is a video......hope it helps!
Flash » The End of the World (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/end)

RikRaeder
05-17-2008, 21:09
I wasn't scared before, but now I see it all. Hold me....<sob>

Goober
05-18-2008, 20:13
humans are the universe's worst virus. we consume everything we touch and don't replace it and soon our population will outstrip our resources this planet provides for us, causing its demise!

Will the real agent Smith....please stand up

PlatypusMan
05-18-2008, 20:26
I wasn't scared before, but now I see it all. Hold me....<sob>

You asked the question..don't be afraid to get the answer.....:smiley2:

PPM

ratown
05-18-2008, 20:39
The planet will end in about a million years when the sun goes through its final stages.

DiverMAN
05-18-2008, 21:44
or when the space monkeys invade...

mm2002
05-19-2008, 08:29

I can't wait! I want one for a pet. Cute little boogers they are.

DOWNDEEP73
05-19-2008, 08:31

They make for some pretty good jerkey too!

mm_dm
05-19-2008, 08:32

I have that one in a mental bin, right next to the Harmonic Convergence. Or maybe that was the Harmonica Virgins :)

mm2002
05-19-2008, 08:42

I'd have to draw the line at making jerky out of one of my pets. I could buy two though, and use the ugly mean one for the jerky!

mm_dm
05-19-2008, 08:43

Oh man, that's just wrong:smilie39:

DOWNDEEP73
05-19-2008, 08:51

I'd have to draw the line at making jerky out of one of my pets. I could buy two though, and use the ugly mean one for the jerky!
Just make sure it isn't an old space monkey.....no body likes the jerky too tough and gamey!
P.S. marinate them in Jim Beam.....YUMMY YUMMY!

WetHog
05-19-2008, 09:02
Just make sure it isn't an old space monkey.....no body likes the jerky too tough and gamey!

Don't forget the Teriyaki. Nothing better than Teriyaki Space Monkey!!:smilie40:

mm2002
05-19-2008, 09:03

I have to agree there. Nothing worse than gamey monkey jerky.
Good idea about the whiskey marinade. The best part is you can sip on the remainder while the jerky marinates! Nothing more boring than watching jerky marinate, but the whiskey takes the edge off!

No Misses
05-19-2008, 09:04
God is going to make a rare appearance on Earth and tell us that he is pissed off at all of the world's religions getting it wrong and starting wars in his name. He will be overheard mumbling to himself; "I should have stopped after I made the cow" The cow is perfect. It eats grass and produces milk. Cows have never started a war. Yep, I should have stopped there."

TAKE THAT, all you religious zealots!

mm2002
05-19-2008, 09:05
God is going to make a rare appearance on Earth and tell us that he is pissed off at all of the world's religions getting it wrong and starting wars in his name. He will be overheard mumbling to himself; "I should have stopped after I made the cow" The cow is perfect. It eats grass and produces milk. Cows have never started a war. Yep, I should have stopped there."

Plus, Cows make good jerky too! :smiley20:

captain
05-19-2008, 09:10
Over population is the main problem. I cringe at the statement that human life is priceless. It is one of the least valuable forms of life on the earth. More of anything lessens it's value. Most likely humans will keep multiplying until some natural disaster or new disease wipes out a sugnificant part of the population then the earth will be back in equilibrium until the sun consumes it in its dying days

DOWNDEEP73
05-19-2008, 09:11

I marinate cows in Original Coors!

mm2002
05-19-2008, 09:45

I marinate cows in Original Coors!

Yep, and if you use Coors light, you can make diet jerky!

mm2002
05-19-2008, 09:47
Over population is the main problem. I cringe at the statement that human life is priceless. It is one of the least valuable forms of life on the earth. More of anything lessens it's value. Most likely humans will keep multiplying until some natural disaster or new disease wipes out a sugnificant part of the population then the earth will be back in equilibrium until the sun consumes it in its dying days

Wow, I know we suck, but damn that's a depressing way to look at it! :smiley36:

DOWNDEEP73
05-19-2008, 09:51

Wow, I know we suck, but damn that's a depressing way to look at it! :smiley36:
That made me lose my buzz!

BuzzF117
05-19-2008, 10:09

If you think that then heres a handful of pills take em and lower the population by one.

RikRaeder
05-19-2008, 10:17
In regards to the Mayan prophecy thingie: I saw on a pretty reputable documentary that on the Solstice of 2012 (their predicted "end of the big cycle), Earth will reach an extremely rare alignment with the black hole in the center of our galaxy. Got to give it to the Mayans, they knew their math!

mm_dm
05-19-2008, 10:56

If it is going to be "death by space monkeys" at least we'll have a little time. When they come to zap you, you can yell, "hey look, a BANANA!" and then run like hell. It'll take them a while to wize up to our clever human tricks.

Foo2
05-19-2008, 11:15
I keep hearing REM in my head looking at this thread. ;)

Goober
05-19-2008, 16:36
I keep hearing REM in my head looking at this thread. ;)

And I feel fine:smiley31:

Chad
05-19-2008, 16:52

If you think that then heres a handful of pills take em and lower the population by one.

If you don't agree with captain's statement then how about coming up with a counter point instead of telling the guy to go kill himself?

MSilvia
05-19-2008, 16:54
The planet will be fine unless it's consumed by the dying sun. Life on earth may not be so lucky, and humans less so. There's plenty we might do to wipe ourselves out, but the planet will likely still support life, even if it's weird deep sea life around smoker vents, or subarctic bacteria... life will go on. I think that to say we're any threat to the universe is to greatly exaggerate our significance in it.

I think the population waxes and wanes (and we're overdue for a serious waning), but we'd need an awfully big calamity to end life as we know it. Ending living as we know it is another thing entirely.

The most compelling shot at humanity being wiped out anytime soon that I'm aware of is the asteroid named "99942 Apophis". There's only an estimated 1 in 45,000 chance it'll hit earth in 2036, but it's the size of long island, so it would probably ruin your day if it does.

On the plus side, it would put a quick end to all that "global warming" we've been hearing about.

MSilvia
05-19-2008, 16:56
If you don't agree with captain's statement then how about coming up with a counter point instead of telling the guy to go kill himself?
I'd also suggest that if you don't agree with his statement, you should watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY), and do the math for yourself.

BuzzF117
05-19-2008, 17:14

He deserves no counter point guys like him look at disasters like Burma and the China earthquake as good things that help curb human overpopulation. What people like captain don't realize is that you could put every person in the world in 1200sq foot homes in a state the size of Texas. Human life is precious and when somebody makes a stupid comment about human life being cheap and wortless they derserve a smarta$$ comment. Most famine in the world is not cause by countries like the US using up precious natural resources they are more likely the product of an over zealous brutal regime or dictator that keeps food stuffs from their citizens as a way to control them.

coral cowgirl
05-19-2008, 21:55
"Most famine in the world is not cause by countries like the US using up precious natural resources they are more likely the product of an over zealous brutal regime or dictator that keeps food stuffs from their citizens as a way to control them."
Certainly seems to be the case for Burma and China presently. Saw several articles on "Disaster Fatigue" today....folks feed overwhelmed by all the crisis around the world recently. That combined with high gas prices, the housing mess, and fear of losing their jobs makes for greatly reduced donations apparently.

captain
05-19-2008, 21:57
I'd also suggest that if you don't agree with his statement, you should watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY), and do the math for yourself.

Thanks for the video, Matt, it's worse than I thought 760 years..
Those who don't see whats coming, if not in their life time then certainly in their children's children's life time, is scary.
I have a 14 month old granddaughter and I worry what kind of world it will be when she is 63 and what will her children face.
I am a perfect example of part of the problem. A heart bypass operation is prolonging my life. If I had been born 30 years earlier before the procedure was developed I would never have lived to 63 years.

matt151617
05-19-2008, 22:28
Nuclear war. We're all too eager to point warheads at each other. Sooner or later, someone will push the button, and that's it. What doesn't get totally vaporized or destroyed will be destroyed by fallout and nuclear winter. The damage to the climate will be too much for anyone to survive... most people will die instantly or within a few days, and everyone else will just starve to death.

Doug B
05-19-2008, 22:35

I thought is was mid-October 2012?

DOWNDEEP73
05-19-2008, 22:38
Nuclear war. We're all too eager to point warheads at each other. Sooner or later, someone will push the button, and that's it. What doesn't get totally vaporized or destroyed will be destroyed by fallout and nuclear winter. The damage to the climate will be too much for anyone to survive... most people will die instantly or within a few days, and everyone else will just starve to death.
How can I starve to death when I have all this space monkey jerkey?

huvrr
05-20-2008, 08:32
Don't care. Hope I'm diving that day.

RikRaeder
05-20-2008, 10:02
I plan to be camping...just in case ;)

MSilvia
05-20-2008, 10:16
What people like captain don't realize is that you could put every person in the world in 1200sq foot homes in a state the size of Texas.
Worldwide, the population growth rate is about 1.14%, which equates to the population doubling about every 63 years. If what you said is true this year, by 2071 the size of those homes will be about 600sq, and by 2134 it'll be down to about 300sq ft. By 2200, the theoretical house will be less than 150 square feet, and it'll be scarcely a 10x7 foot room 63 years later.

Do you think that rate of increase is sustainable, and if not, how would you suggest it be kept in check while respecting the value of human life? Since, morally speaking, I don't think we can have that cake and eat it too, perhaps there is a small silver lining in great tragedies. It would be a horrible calamity, but something like a global pandemic is probably more or less inevitable at some point, and despite our feelings about it, it might very well be good for the overall health of the species in the long run.

Remember, the more people there are, the faster we produce more people.

reactive
05-20-2008, 11:00
Flash &#187; The End of the World (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/end)

torrey
05-20-2008, 12:37
The earth will be destroyed by vogons to make way for an intergalactic highway...or yeah, Mayan calendar (easy to remember since it will be my wife's 39th birthday).

hoobascooba
05-20-2008, 13:16
one day Mother Earth is just gonna shake us all off like an old wet dog.

waytooslow
05-20-2008, 13:30
when the big rock hits or the black hole consumes it.

World population is and issue for sure, but remember that all the people on earth right now, will be dead with in 100 years +/-, so if a pandemic brings the numbers in check or if zero population takes hold (some sort of Children of Men senerio).. well you get the idea...

Nature has a way of balancing things out here on the big pump.

Now don't you feel better ...

turtle_guy
05-20-2008, 14:10
The earth will be destroyed by vogons to make way for an intergalactic highway...or yeah, Mayan calendar (easy to remember since it will be my wife's 39th birthday).
favorite response

torrey
05-20-2008, 14:31
favorite response

Would you believe I memorized some Vogon poetry when I was a kid, and still remember it?

RikRaeder
05-20-2008, 18:54
...Mayan calendar (easy to remember since it will be my wife's 39th birthday).

I guess the Mayans were off by a year. I hear it's the 40th you have to watch out for ;)

turtle_guy
05-20-2008, 22:37
favorite response

Would you believe I memorized some Vogon poetry when I was a kid, and still remember it?
no i would not believe that but kudos that stuff really was rough

hooligan
05-21-2008, 01:44
I heard that the world will end when Chuck Norris gives the Earth a round house kick to the face. ;)

Foo2
05-21-2008, 07:39
I heard that the world will end when Chuck Norris gives the Earth a round house kick to the face. ;)

Nice!:smiley32: