PDA

View Full Version : Who's suffering from really bad allergies?

Bill1979
05-17-2008, 18:48
I have had allergie issues all my life and normally I don't have any reall issues. This year seems to be getting the better of me. I actually could not go to work for two days because of a sinus infection and and ear infection.
Is anyone else haveing major issues this year?
Bill

RikRaeder
05-17-2008, 19:41
Year to year is always different, but this year it's terrible. First time in Japan to be bothered. Thought the Japanese pollen might be different...

Daved
05-17-2008, 20:06
I'm in Alberta and suffering seems to be worse this year.

JTMoney
05-17-2008, 20:14
I think I could probably get hit in the face with a handful of pollen and not have a problem.

scubasamurai
05-17-2008, 20:24
got hit with a bad case of bronchititis this year so the season might be worst than last year considering in florida the lacking rainfall

ScubaJenn81
05-19-2008, 08:49
I am in New Hampshire and the pollen on the cars every morning is gross. I have to carry around tissues in my pocket like an old lady, and that is with my allergy medicine.

caroln
05-19-2008, 09:06
I am freaking dying here. Taking a ton of drugs and still can't breathe. It's the worst season I can remember in a long time.

harb99
05-19-2008, 09:13
It does seem to be a bit worse this year than last year.

reactive
05-19-2008, 10:18
I'm definitely suffering worse this year than ever. I have never purchased allergy medicine before in my life, but I had to go buy a box of Claritin this year, and it's help is limited. What gives? Must be global warming or something.

caroln
05-19-2008, 10:41
A hint from my allergy doc---of the OTC meds, Zyrtec is better than Claritin. I can't take the adult dose of Zyrtec because it knocks me out, but even the kids dose is still more effective than the adult dose of claritin. Also, the neti pot or other sinus rinses really make a big difference.

gthomas
05-19-2008, 11:00
My head is about to explode. I've down all weekend. I hope I don't have to go to the doc.:smiley21:

terrillja
05-19-2008, 11:14
I'm suffering in upstate NY. Was hoping to dive Saturday but my ears are popping just sitting here, so there was no way I was diving.

mm_dm
05-19-2008, 11:16
This part of Texas is allergy central, one of the highest in the US, but this year has more folks I know coughing and gagging than normal, mostly trees and mold. A lack of rain hasn't helped, just keeps the tree pollens hanging around until a good stiff breeze whips up and takes out half the population with illness.

Bigg_Budd
05-19-2008, 11:19
I'm ready to suck a gun and end it.

terrillja
05-19-2008, 11:20
A hint from my allergy doc---of the OTC meds, Zyrtec is better than Claritin. I can't take the adult dose of Zyrtec because it knocks me out, but even the kids dose is still more effective than the adult dose of claritin. Also, the neti pot or other sinus rinses really make a big difference.
I've taken most meds out there, from Claratin and Zyrtec when they were a prescription to Clarinex to Rhinocort to Nasonex and a lot more I can't remember. Now I just try to manage the symptoms with sudafed or mucinex-d, zicam, and Bronkaid, depending on what syptoms I have.

mm_dm
05-19-2008, 11:24
What I love is the "treatment" you get when you go to buy anything that resembles Sudafed. As if being all crapped out isn't punishment enough. I understand the reasons, but it's still a PIA.

julz
05-19-2008, 12:55
does the zyretec have sudafedrine in it because thats what lnocks me out i cant anythingf with it so claritin works well for me

Murloc
05-19-2008, 13:56
I don't suffer from seasonal allergies, but I do have an allergy to Tetanus Toxoid (your typical tetanus shot). always had issues as a kid and when I went into the Army they of course gave me one and I swelled up like a balloon. had tests run and I'm allergic to both the horse and human serum. as a result I haven't had a tetanus shot since 1982. so now I'm not allowed to play with rusty barbed wire.

caroln
05-19-2008, 15:09
does the zyretec have sudafedrine in it because thats what lnocks me out i cant anythingf with it so claritin works well for me

Zyrtec doesn't have sudafedrine in it.

harb99
05-19-2008, 15:30
What I love is the "treatment" you get when you go to buy anything that resembles Sudafed. As if being all crapped out isn't punishment enough. I understand the reasons, but it's still a PIA.

Sudafed PE (fake stuff) does not work nearly as well as the original Sudafed (with pseudoephedrine) and I hate having to go up to the pharmacy window and sign my life away to get the real stuff.

I currently take generic claritin (loratadine) or if I need immediate relief, I will take benedryl.

Daved
05-19-2008, 15:49
Benedryl,for me. I suffer year around--better half has a cat--but spring is definitely the worst.

cummings66
05-19-2008, 16:04
I guess I'm like the rest of you, have had a nagging cough from post nasal drip for more time than I want to think of. But, no issues which would keep me from diving.

waytooslow
05-19-2008, 16:51
It's so bad, I was forced o take a PTO day, hit me Saturday will I was cleaning and wrenching on the boat, the Sunday boat day had to be canceled, and today after 2 hours of sleep, I stayed home. will have to try the Zeyrtic. one step from bronch problems. But don't let it gountreated, last year ended up with waking p...

terrillja
05-19-2008, 16:54

Zyrtec doesn't have sudafedrine in it.
Zytrtec D does contain pseudoephedrine. Regular Zyrtec does not.

Bill1979
05-19-2008, 18:00
I take Clariton, but my Dr. recomended Nasonex in a nasal spray. Its working well. I got soo much oxygen I almost fell asleep, (my brain doesn't use much oxygen I guess).
I feel the same way as you guys about signing your life away to get relief. I think those who are up to no good are going to get it anyhow, and thay its just causing the rest of us to suffer.

matt151617
05-19-2008, 22:30
I don't think it's quite as bad as normal here. Usually I'm popping a Claritan every 24 hours like clockwork. This year I've had a bunch of days I didn't really need any.

Doug B
05-19-2008, 22:34
Benedryl,for me. I suffer year around--better half has a cat--but spring is definitely the worst.

Me too. My wife has a cat. This spring has been really bad for me... the last two weeks have been terrible.

mm2002
05-20-2008, 07:58
I've had allergies to grass and pollen all my life, but this year is definitely worse. Claritin D is my tool of choice.

Martin2
05-20-2008, 09:56
This season feels like it is worse. Doc recommended Flonase and it has helped quite a bit. Enough that I can still dive and escape the pollen for a bit!

CamaroChick
05-20-2008, 11:12
Each year my allergies seem to get worse and worse. This year has been killer, even though its been raining buckets here in MD, it doesn't seem to matter. I'm on Claritin D now, and will be starting the Sudafed tomorrow so I can dive in the pool on Thursday. Urgh!!!!

mike_s
05-20-2008, 11:55
this year is definately worse. seems that it's a slime that is just caught in your throat. gets worse at night when you try to sleep.