PDA

View Full Version : DIVE OP in the KEYS!

moosicman
05-18-2008, 17:18
Have any of you used Silent World Dive Center in the Florida Keys and what have been your experiences if so. They look like a really nice group to dive with but I wouldn't mind hearing some testimonials and experiences. I'll be waiting!:smilie40:

comet24
05-18-2008, 17:35
I had a great expereance with Conch Republic a few month back.

scubasamurai
05-18-2008, 17:59
i know your inquiring about silent world never used them , but used ocean divers and marinia delmar as a hotel to hang at. both good

crosseyed95
05-18-2008, 18:20
I have not dove with them, however I checked the reader reports on Scuba Diving Magazine for Serious Divers, Undercurrent Reviews Dive Resorts and Scuba Diving Equipment (http://www.undercurrent.org)

The reports say they have 2 boats.

Positives: All but one reported a professional staff with little limitations on your profiles. Basically, back on the boat with 500 psi (also 60 min time limit on reef dives).

Negatives: One report complained that the DM didn't get in the water and that they were only surface support. It also complained that you had to have your fins off prior to getting on the ladder (no fin boat). Two reports complained that there were not dedicated buckets and tables for cameras.

There were a total of 5 reader reports. For me, I don't see the negatives as a problem since they don't affect me. However, I know from experience that some may find the negatives as a problem. Personally, by the reports, I would make reservations. However, as I said at the beginning, I have never dove with them and am just reporting what I see reported by previous divers.

crosseyed95

Sansho
05-18-2008, 18:28
I dove with Silent World in Feb, you can read my trip report at http://forum.scubatoys.com/trips-travel/10007-key-largo-trip-report.html .

If you have any questions, let me know.

comet24
05-18-2008, 18:34
I have not dove with them, however I checked the reader reports on Scuba Diving Magazine for Serious Divers, Undercurrent Reviews Dive Resorts and Scuba Diving Equipment (http://www.undercurrent.org)

The reports say they have 2 boats.

Positives: All but one reported a professional staff with little limitations on your profiles. Basically, back on the boat with 500 psi (also 60 min time limit on reef dives).

Negatives: One report complained that the DM didn't get in the water and that they were only surface support. It also complained that you had to have your fins off prior to getting on the ladder (no fin boat). Two reports complained that there were not dedicated buckets and tables for cameras.

There were a total of 5 reader reports. For me, I don't see the negatives as a problem since they don't affect me. However, I know from experience that some may find the negatives as a problem. Personally, by the reports, I would make reservations. However, as I said at the beginning, I have never dove with them and am just reporting what I see reported by previous divers.

crosseyed95

I don't see DM's not getting in the water as a negative. I have dived with a few charters in the keys and never seen a DM get in the water unless it was as a paid guide. Plus that one time in some very rough seas to try and fix the ladder that wouldn't come up. We also broke the GPS on that trip. Great condition down around 100' though.

terrillja
05-18-2008, 19:10
I dove with Conch Republic for 4 days and Silent World for 1 day in March.

Silent World has smaller boats and operates from a different part of Key Largo than Conch Republic, so if there are high seas, you are going to get tossed around a bit more. They operate from the northern end of the island, so they do the more northern wrecks and reefs there. Vis was probably a little bit better on the northern end, but the southern end wasn't bad either.

I didn't have any issues with their boat, but most of the wrecks are more to the south, where Conch Republic operates. Also of note: when we were with Silent World, we were told they did not have a license for the boat to carry divers going for lobster, so you couldn't take any if you had a permit. Conch Republic does and lots of people were going for lobster when we were there. The lobster season closed on March 31st however, so no one can get them now.

Personally, I preferred Conch Republic, because we took their big boat for all but 1 dive, which has no doghouse in the middle, so you can suit up with lots of space for your fins.

Silent World is slightly less expensive, but I'd go for Conch Republic again in a second.

And both dive ops had separate camera and general rinse buckets, as well as buckets on land. Also if you were diving the next day with Conch Republic, you could put you gear on teh rack and they would keep it in the store overnight.