PDA

View Full Version : Got certified in the cold water

Oldsboy455
05-19-2008, 05:41
I finally got my cert this weekend in Haigh quarry Kankakee IL .Water surface temp was 56 and 50 down at 42'. Air temps were 71 on Sat and 59 on Sun. Wore a 7 mil suit and all the other goodies. Only got cold on the last dive and that was probably from staying up to long in the 59 degree wind. All in all was a great weekend with great instructors and great buddy divers. Guess I'm hooked.

coyote
05-19-2008, 06:42
Congrats! Haigh quarry was really nice this last weekend. I noticed lots of people braving the cold water to get certed.

DOWNDEEP73
05-19-2008, 06:52
Congrats! I can't wait till july to check out Haigh Quarry for myself!

JimHar99
05-19-2008, 07:07
Congratulations on your certification.

I did my OW and AOW certifications in cold water (7mm suit with gloves and hood). Now I do most of my diving in warm water.

Man, the first time I dove with only a 3mm suit and no gloves or hood and half the weight was great. I felt so free, and the vis was probably 80' compared to about 15' in the quary.

navyhmc
05-19-2008, 07:30
Nothing wrong with cold water-heck most of my diving is in cold water. I'd say at lest 75% of it. Of course, I was surprised at the drop in my SAC rate when i wasn't having to fight the wetsuit and all. But still, anyone can dive in warm, clear tropical waters, the real fun starts at 58F and 20' visib.

Congrats on your OW cert!

Now you can come join us in the DDCN (Deep, Dark, Cold and Narc'd!)

fisheater
05-19-2008, 08:48
Way to go!

Welcome to the world of cold diving. It's a challenge and it's fun. When you're dive vacation to warm tropical waters finally comes, you'll find that all of your cold diving has made you a really good diver, especially when compared with those don't dive in the cold.

Keep on diving.

navyhmc
05-19-2008, 17:08
BTW, as for your cold due to surface conditions; It's very important to keep up on your energy when doing multiple cold water dives. Having a warm wrap to put on when you hit the surface helps too-Polarfleece is your friend here. I know that I have worn a fleece jacket even when the temps are high enough that I would usually not wear a jacket. Conserve your bady heat!

A good balanced snack with fats, carbs and protiens is very important as is hydration. I also down a few banannas between dives to help avoid muscle cramps caused by the cold water, an extra dose of multi-vitamin and vitamin C seem to help too.

ChrisA
05-19-2008, 18:17
I finally got my cert this weekend in Haigh quarry Kankakee IL .Water surface temp was 56 and 50 down at 42'. Air temps were 71 on Sat and 59 on Sun. Wore a 7 mil suit and all the other goodies. Only got cold on the last dive and that was probably from staying up to long in the 59 degree wind. All in all was a great weekend with great instructors and great buddy divers. Guess I'm hooked.

Now you've got all the gear to come out here and dive in california. Temps are abuot the samehere in the air and water right now. Pick up one of those knee length dive jackets that are cut oversize so you can put them over a wetsuit. Use that between dives and you don't get chilled from the water evporating from the wetsuit in the wind. When I bought one I kicked myself for not getting one earlier.

Now you have to make a point to just keep diving. try to dive every weekend, at least.

Foo2
05-19-2008, 18:26
brrrrr! Kudos to the cold water divers out there. I've been there and done that(with not near enough neoprene) and I'm not so sure it's for me.

huvrr
05-19-2008, 19:19
if you do it right the only part of you that is cold is usually your lips and not much worse than skiing.

huvrr
05-19-2008, 19:20
our water temp will stay below 40 for at least another month.

huvrr
05-19-2008, 19:21
Oh yeah and congrats I love to hear of folks who enjoy diving enough to do it cold.

Oldsboy455
05-19-2008, 19:29
The only thing that got real cold were my fingers after being up for a while. Planing a trip in mid June for Lake Norfork AR. Just have to find a Dive Buddy when we get there. I think the owner of the resort (Blackburns) may take me along a few times if I'm lucky. Then off to Hawaii (Maui) in Jan of 09 can't wait for that one, got a Dive Buddy going with. Just don't know what your missing till ya go down and have a look around. BTW Haigh quarry Vis was about 25-30 feet even with all of us rookies stiring it up.Thanks for all the great comments. DEETS Home - Haigh Quarry - The Place for Scuba Diving in Northern Illinois (http://www.haighquarry.com/)

RoyN
05-20-2008, 01:07
Oh, you'll get use to it. Try Monterey California where it is 47 to 50 something degrees. Most of everybody is using a drysuit. Since I just completed my 200 dive, I decided to go drysuit after my 7mm wetsuit is so compressed, its like a skinsuit now. :D

Rileybri
05-22-2008, 09:49

Congrats on getting your cert. I to got mine in Lake Champlain last weekend as well. I would point out the we had 45# at the top and 42#at 30'! BRRRRRRRRRRR I guess thats what exposure suits are for!! good luck with it all.....

cheers,

Brian D.

wood1612
06-01-2008, 17:36
Congrats on the cert! I got certified at Balmorea state park here in TX. My wet suit froze when I left it outside over night. Brrr. But the water was warm ~72. And the vis was excellent, aprox. 80ft.

rawalker
06-01-2008, 19:49
I got certified in Lake Pleasant Peoria Arizona
Water temperature was 58* F and 25' of visability

gunnarman
06-01-2008, 20:05
i too got my cert in 47 at the surface and 39 at 32. congrats, the rest is gravy.

Geoff_T
06-01-2008, 20:13
I have always thought of cold water dives as fun. Did my advanced cert in somthing like 40 degrees and was comftrable right untill I hit the seccond thermo at bainbridge. keep on diving glad to hear you are hooked.

h2odragon1
06-01-2008, 22:59
Congratulations! A friend of mine got his cert at Haigh 5/24. He and I are planning to dive Haigh again this month. As soon as his brother-in-law gets his cert, we will probably meet up at Pearl Lake, (It's half way between him and us).
My wife and I enjoy going to Haigh every summer. The water will warm up in June and July, with the thermocline going to 23 ft with a second thermocline at 35 ft. The bottome seems to stay around 50 F. Did you find the tricycle graveyard?
ENJOY HAIGH :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20: :smiley20::smiley20:

Merrimorte
07-12-2008, 01:26
if you do it right the only part of you that is cold is usually your lips and not much worse than skiing.

OK! I can handle that then ! lol

Merri

digitalman
07-12-2008, 14:48
My OW cert dives were in 52 degree water. It was cold, but bearable. I did my AOW in Haigh. Congrats.

plot
07-13-2008, 22:02
Cold water doesn't bother me to much, just gotta dress for it properly... and I'm always cold, constantly have a space heater or whatever running in the winter.

Getting out of cold water into even colder air... that REALLY bothers me. When you jump into 50 degree water and it feels like bathwater... you've got problems. :D

Congrats on the cert. If you're going to try to get up to the great lakes for some diving, I'd recommend moving into drysuits sometime, but don't rush it. Neoprene will work just fine for now.