PDA

View Full Version : luggage comparison

hoobascooba
05-20-2008, 13:09
Hi all, I'm going to the Bahamas next month and now needing to look into some luggage.

I've got 2 picked out, just looking for some input.

Tusa Rolling Backpack BP-2 Bag, Dive Bags, Tusa, Tusa Rolling Backpack BP-2 Bag (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TusaBP2)

-- or --

Akona AKB 188 - Roller Dive Bag, Dive Bags, Akona, Akona AKB 188 - Roller Dive Bag (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Akona_AKB_188)

huvrr
05-20-2008, 13:21
I really like the Tusa they are making some nice products again. Now if only I had a trip planned

ChrisA
05-20-2008, 13:22
I use something that looks a lot like this
Easy Foldaway Handtrucks (http://easyhandtruck.com/?gclid=CK20p8TatZMCFR0ZagodcmjGCQ)

You can bunge several normal duffel bags onto the hand truck. I even cary a LP95 steel tank and 30 pounds of weights plus a large gear bag.

obrules15
05-20-2008, 13:22
I like luggage that doesn't scream "I have thousands of dollars worth of Scuba Gear in here"

hoobascooba
05-20-2008, 13:28
I like the sleekness of the Akona, but I like the versatility of the Tusa better...

I might just go with the Tusa.

dallasdivergirl
05-20-2008, 13:33
I would say the Tusa. That's a good bag for your price range.

chinacat46
05-20-2008, 13:54
Since I had two Akonas and had problems with two broken zippers I won't buy another. Go with the Tusa.

hoobascooba
05-20-2008, 14:28
i bought the tusa.

thanks everyone for their input.

rawalker
05-20-2008, 14:51
I like luggage that doesn't scream "I have thousands of dollars worth of Scuba Gear in here"

I must agree with you. No need to advertize what may be inside a bag and raise the risk of your bag being lost or stolen.
What I use is a Totes roller duffle for my BCD, fins, folded mesh wet gearbag, knives and wetsuits. I'll pack beachwear and extra shoes to bring the bag up to near the weight limit. Regs, masks, snorkels, gloves, hood, computers, camera outfit and logbook go in a roller carry on.
I don't use diver or DAN luggage tags or anything else that may suggest expensive equipment within the bags.
If I'm traveling by car that is another story as I can maintain the security of my gear. I then use a Oceanic Meridian 3 that I can load with nearly all my gear (except the camera kit, and tanks) and it's better organized.

One last few words. I've found over the years that unless you use high dollar hard sided luggage the outcome is always the same. Carefully packed soft luggage will protect your stuff until the bag itself becomes too damaged to be useful. All the luggage from mid price to expensive (soft sided) lasts just as long. Usually either a zipper becomes broken or a seam is torn open. Either way the airlines disclaimer lets them off the hook. The only time you can catch them is with a new bag (purchased within 30 days) if you have the receipt.
Hard sided name brand luggage is another story the airlines will pay for repairs to the luggage other than scrapes and scratches but the bags weigh so much more that you either can't pack them full, you pay for overweight or you need to use more smaller bags and pay for extra baggage. They win you lose either way.

a_siren
05-20-2008, 14:58
I have the monster-size of Stahlsac. I love it, but it is bigger and pricier than what you are looking for. I chose it because I know that I am really hard on luggage and am totally an overpacker. It does fit quite a bit more that my complete SCUBA gear.

See: Stahlsac Galapagos Travel Dive Bag, Dive Bags, Stahlsac, Stahlsac Galapagos Travel Dive Bag (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Stahlsac_Galapagos_Travel_Di ve_Bag)

I've travelled with it a couple of times and haven't broken it yet.

I do agree with the above posters though. When my Stahlsac bag didn't show up in my connection city I wanted to throw up. I was trying to stay calm on my second flight and thankfully it showed up at my final destination. During the whole second flight I was calculating on how much a thief would get for my SCUBA equipment on Ebay.

ChrisA
05-20-2008, 16:04

Yes, I've always wonderd why scuba gear requires special "scuba lugage". I think it is kind of a marketing thing. Also those little wheels they put on roller lugage are only good for the kind of smooth floors found in airports. Those little wheels don't work as well on a wooden docks or brick or coble walkways. That's why I pointed out the hand truck above. It willhold two diver's gear.

Typical rec. gear for warm water is not bulky or heavy either. You can roll the reg and computer in a wetsuit and the rest of the gear is very durable.

That said I use a Pelican case for hauling my gear around locally because I keep it in the back of an open pickup truck. Bags don't stand up to day-in day-out use and leaving them outdoors. The nylon rots in the sun. But for infrequent vacation use I'd think any "standard" lugage would do fine.

If you are worried about theft get some day-glo green spay paint and make a big ugly stripe all the way around the bag. theives tend to take the black look-alike bags. They don't want the one that can be IDed from 200 yards away.

Martin2
05-20-2008, 18:25
If you are worried about theft get some day-glo green spay paint and make a big ugly stripe all the way around the bag. theives tend to take the black look-alike bags. They don't want the one that can be IDed from 200 yards away.

That's a great idea--thanks!

coral cowgirl
05-20-2008, 22:43
One of my relatives worked as a baggage handler. He told me to always use some kind of restraining strap(s) around the outside of the bag...no matter how new.

cowgirldiver
05-21-2008, 09:06
I too am totally an overpacker-think it is the old girl scout be prepared mind set. On my last trip, I had a little too much in my carry on. Before I boarded the first time my expansion zipper kind of broke (it could only take so much!!!!) I was all buckled in and heard my name called behind me. The flight attendant had to give me a lecture about how that expansion zipper being undone was only for when you checked your luggage. I had to put on my best blond look and give him the story about how it broke. Of course I do have to say that I knew it was way overpacked cause on every leg I had to look around for some stalwart guy to lift it up for me. One guy told me that if I could have lifted that, he sure wouldn't want to wrestle me.
That was my first out of country dive trip and I think now I can downsize. Maybe......

chinacat46
05-21-2008, 09:11
Remember the rule when packing throw out half the stuff and double your money.

ScaredSilly
05-21-2008, 13:43
The problem with roller bags is most weigh over 10 lbs. So you have immediately lost 20% of you carrying capacity when traveling on airlines. Lest you be willing to pay fees.

I have used a travel cart a few times. Okay but a PITA at times. Would probably be better if I could have everything in two bags with the cart but the cart makes for a third.

As several folks have pointed out you do not want a bag that screams - "look inside lots of expensive crap to steal" That said the destination tag will be as much of a give a way as anything else. I mean who else but a diver would be checking in a 50lbs bag and going to Aruba???

Personally I use heavy duty duffles such as these travel bags (http://www.mountaintools.com/cat/mt/luggage/mountaintoolstravelbags.htm).

Mine have been all over the world and have survived everything from ferry rides to mules pissing on them. They are just different enough to easy spot amongst other bags but do not stand out too much. They are also easy enough to carry when needed.

longtailbda
06-09-2008, 18:28
I use a bright safety orange gear/work bag, we use them in the utility business I'm in. I use for local boat trips and as a travel bag. They haul a nice load of gear and can be seen from a long distance away. Another nice feature is it has a hard base and is water proof.
I'll still carry regs. in carry on though.

thesmoothdome
06-09-2008, 20:43
I use cheap rolling duffle bags I picked up from Overstock.com for my travels. They're light and fold down well when in cramped quarters.

Navy OnStar
06-09-2008, 21:17
Mine have been all over the world and have survived everything from ferry rides to mules pissing on them..

Remind me never to borrow ANY of your gear!!!!!!!!!!!:smiley29:

longtailbda
06-10-2008, 17:00
Mine have been all over the world and have survived everything from ferry rides to mules pissing on them..

Remind me never to borrow ANY of your gear!!!!!!!!!!!:smiley29:

Theres nothing like the smell of.... before a dive:smiley5:

georoc01
06-11-2008, 14:11
The problem with roller bags is most weigh over 10 lbs. So you have immediately lost 20% of you carrying capacity when traveling on airlines. Lest you be willing to pay fees.

I have used a travel cart a few times. Okay but a PITA at times. Would probably be better if I could have everything in two bags with the cart but the cart makes for a third.

As several folks have pointed out you do not want a bag that screams - "look inside lots of expensive crap to steal" That said the destination tag will be as much of a give a way as anything else. I mean who else but a diver would be checking in a 50lbs bag and going to Aruba???

Personally I use heavy duty duffles such as these travel bags (http://www.mountaintools.com/cat/mt/luggage/mountaintoolstravelbags.htm).

Mine have been all over the world and have survived everything from ferry rides to mules pissing on them. They are just different enough to easy spot amongst other bags but do not stand out too much. They are also easy enough to carry when needed.

After having the strap loops break on my duffle on my bonaire trip, I have been looking to replace. Again, looking at weight as an issue. I was debating getting somethink like this..

A. Saks EXPANDABLE 25 Rolling Trolley Duffel > Travel Duffels > Luggage - eBags (http://www.ebags.com/a_saks/expandable_25_rolling_trolley_duffel/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=98876&rlid=detail&rcode=308624949915625)

It weighs about 2lbs more than the duffles, but gets you the wheels.

Travelnsj
06-11-2008, 17:47
I've quit using my Akona roller due to it weighing 13 lbs....pulled out an old Aqua Laung bag that weighs 6.5 lbs...looks like the A. Saks.

azdiver
06-12-2008, 17:28
A Saks also makes a 20" roller duffle that can be used as a carry-on. It weisghs under 5 lbs as well.

dirtydon
07-13-2008, 16:14
marboro sea bag from my brother free got a large shoulder strap hard bottom. pack alot,id it easy drag it alot

mchain
07-13-2008, 17:52
I just use a samsonite spinner suitcase from sams. I really like those.