PDA

View Full Version : Display Protection

coral cowgirl
05-21-2008, 16:42
Where can I find some type of display protection/cover for my Canon A720IS online? It's always exposed cause it doesn't have a cover and I'm worried about scratches.

jugglematt
05-22-2008, 06:51
Hey
i had the same problem.
what i use is a palm pilot screen protector , cut to size it works a treat. also u can use the thin film camera lcd screen protectors sold in camera shots .

of the 2 i find the thin film protector works best and will stay on underwater , after a 6 months it will start to fray at the edjes , just peel it off and reaply another.
Regards
Matt

cutter77
05-24-2008, 20:22
Thanks, I needed that info too.

CompuDude
05-24-2008, 22:46
I assume you mean for topside use? (and yes, for topside, the universal Palm protectors work well) Once in the housing, the display is perfectly protected. Anything gets through the housing to the screen, and a little scratch is going to be the least of your worries!

jugglematt
05-25-2008, 01:27
sorry for the confusion .

i use a thin film screen protector on the outside of my housing over the LCD viewing area to prevent scratching and reduction of viewability . i replace these thin film protectors every 6months or so as they become tatty.

i also use a screen protector on my cameras LCD screen .

regards
Matt

coral cowgirl
06-02-2008, 01:05
Well, didn't have much with the ones I ordered. They kept peeling off, especially when I put the camera back in the case. Ended up just using a piece of Glad plastic wrap, it worked as well and was a lot cheaper! (Using for topside shots.)

rawalker
06-02-2008, 01:29
I found a pop out sun sheild with a screen protector. To put the camera in the case, I slide the sheild to the right a 1/8" and it releases leaving the screen protector and a small frame. The sheild really help in strong sun light also.

jugglematt
06-02-2008, 04:33
hi
the screen protector i have used for the last 12 months is this one

Optex LCD Screen Protector OSP10 Discounted Now at Camerastore.com.au (http://www.camerastore.com.au/Optex+LCD+Screen+Protector+OSP10_details.htm)

this is for an Australia store but if you contact them they may post out or there may be a US camera store that sells this product.
what i find is that each kit u buy has 3 lens protector sheets , and you can use 1 sheet cut in 1/2 to do 2 3inch screens , so one optex lcd screen protector kit will do your lcd screen 6 times , i found that i get about 6months out of 1 film , so one pack will last u for ages .

i have not tried other products underwater but i have tried this product and it works underwater ,does not come off in water and does not seem to damage your housings screen . so i can recomend it .

regards
Matt

DevilDiver
06-03-2008, 10:26
I found a pop out sun sheild with a screen protector. To put the camera in the case, I slide the sheild to the right a 1/8" and it releases leaving the screen protector and a small frame. The sheild really help in strong sun light also.

I was looking at an item like this, I believe it was made by Delkin.

Are you using the universal one underwater? It is attached by adhesive, is it secure? Are there any issues or disadvantages you have found?

It would be great if some one made a protector that would magnify the LCD as well..........:smiley13:

Thanks!

rawalker
06-03-2008, 13:18
Yes The Delkin is exactly what I use.
Be sure to carefully place the mount so the screen gasket of the housing closes directly over the mount. Best advise is to stick it on while viewing a shot to be sure of the placement. This exerts a small amount of extra pressure on the housing door while closing but nothing that creates any problem in my experience. YMMV but the sheild isn't so pricey that trying is out of the question. Once the mount is stuck it stays but can be removed without damage to the camera display. This will require replacing and unless you get the mount in a bad position on the screen shouldn't be required.

DevilDiver
06-03-2008, 17:32
Cool...thanks for the reply!!

I believe I will try it out, seems like a good idea.

If you ever hear of a protector sheet that can be stuck to the view glass that magnifies as well please post.

rawalker
06-04-2008, 02:45
Last time I saw anything to magnify like that was for a small TV and many years ago.