PDA

View Full Version : Analog gauge as backup?

Judestudio
07-10-2007, 19:01
I'm going to get an Oceanic Atom 2.0 on wireless as my computer. Should I consider getting a relatively cheap & small analog gauge as backup for depth and pressure? What are the chances for the digital computer to breakdown in the middle of a dive?

Cheers.

cummings66
07-10-2007, 19:33
Not great, but if you need a backup then get one. IMO my logic goes like this, computer failure = immediate thumbing of dive and a normal ascent. From that point on assuming previous dives allow it, I'll be doing table dives.

mwhities
07-10-2007, 22:10
I'm going to be running my Suunto Vyper 1 on my wrist and a "brass and glass"http://scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL& txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsea rchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearc hParamTxt=brass+and+glass&Submit=Search (http://scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=brass+and+glass&Submit=Search) XSScuba SPG.

I'd say if you don't trust AI 100%, go with an SPG.

Michael

JahJahwarrior
07-11-2007, 08:42
You can get an SPG fairly cheaply used ($50?), depending on your diving style you could also put on a short SPG, on a 6" hose or so. Also, a button style guage that is contained in the screw thing....like, it screws in and the head of the bolt is also the guage, would work. But, you coudln't see that, you'd have to have a buddy look. Would get in the way less often, but not the easiest to use option.

If you follow the rule of thirds, then you should know that you have enough gas, but it's always nice to have a guage. I think that having a normal SPG as a backup is a good plan. The brass and glass SPG suggested is a good one, but you don't need to go DIR. I would ask, but computers aren't DIR IIRC, and for sure anything using wireless technology isn't :) There is/was someone selling a used SPG on Scubaboard2.com, and MWhities is selling a SPG and depth guage right here on ST!

RonFrank
07-11-2007, 11:26
I'm going to get an Oceanic Atom 2.0 on wireless as my computer. Should I consider getting a relatively cheap & small analog gauge as backup for depth and pressure? What are the chances for the digital computer to breakdown in the middle of a dive?

Cheers.

I'd worry more about an SPG vs. a depth gauge. I've known a number of divers who have sat out dives because their transmitter was not working, and they had no backup SPG. Keep in mind that even with the transmitter out of commission, you still have the rest of the functionality in tact.

So yes, get a backup SPG. I like the small face Brass units. XSScuba makes a nice one. http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Gauges.asp

cummings66
07-11-2007, 11:58
Yes, the SPG IMO is the only thing I'd want as a backup. In fact it's how I dive mine and I do reference it to verify what the AI computer is telling me. Neither one has lied to me or failed on me yet.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>A redundant computer is a waste of space IMO.</DIV>

CompuDude
07-11-2007, 14:06
Electronics can and do fail, although severe failures are far more rare than transient lost signals (which are common, but usually clear after a couple of moments).

Regardless, I feel a lot better keeping an analog SPG on a short (24") hose that runs straight down the left to clip off on my left hip's D-ring. Totally out of the way, you don't even know it's there unless you reach for it.

Divingguy
07-13-2007, 21:19
Atom 2.0 w/ Aeris Nav console as backup and compass.

texdiveguy
07-13-2007, 21:43
I'm going to get an Oceanic Atom 2.0 on wireless as my computer. Should I consider getting a relatively cheap &amp; small analog gauge as backup for depth and pressure? What are the chances for the digital computer to breakdown in the middle of a dive?

Cheers.

I assume you are a recreational diver,,,,diving within NDL's.....if so, one reliable dive computer is fine to start out with. A simple dive watch as your backup will serve well if your computer goes south on you....the watch will allow you to ascend at a slow rate,,as you would end your dive at the point of your computer failing...AND you would know your depth as you check it often...correct!

Nothing wrong in diving with a backup dive computer though...it does have other advantages... smileys/smiley2.gif

Judestudio
07-13-2007, 23:10
I assume you are a recreational diver,,,,diving within NDL's.....if so, one reliable dive computer is fine to start out with. A simple dive watch as your backup will serve well if your computer goes south on you....the watch will allow you to ascend at a slow rate,,as you would end your dive at the point of your computer failing...AND you would know your depth as you check it often...correct!

Nothing wrong in diving with a backup dive computer though...it does have other advantages... smileys/smiley2.gif
Correct, the dive should be aborted when the computer fails, but one thing I concern is the wireless pressure, if that fails, I'll panic and the foremost I wanted to be sure is I'm not running out of air. Depth is not so much a problem, my buddy's gauge should tell and I should be keeping track the whole way through anyway. I'm gonna get a small pressure gauge and maybe wear a watch too.

FXWX
07-13-2007, 23:37
You may wish to read about surface air consumption (SAC). Once you get a feel for how much air you typically consume at various depths, you will have a decent estimate how much time you can get from each tank. The rest is simple math. This may help you avoid that panic feeling.
<DIV>It is kind of like if your wrist watch stopped as you are out walking. You'll still know "about" what time it is.No panic.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FX</DIV>

Joew
07-13-2007, 23:52
Most cases of signal loss with hoseless AI computers are a result of user error. If you read the instruction manual and sync the transmitter correctly, they are pretty reliable. I know several instructors and DMs that use AI computers without a backup SPG. They put 1000's of dives on them, and if they acted up at all I'm sure they would ditch them or add an SPG. That said, I think AI computers are a waste of money. A good, compact SPG is easy to read and doesn't add much drag at all.

frankc420
07-14-2007, 10:53
I have a wireless computer and I'm going to go with a brass SPG for backup. Actually, I'm planning to go with the XS scuba one that has been referenced a few times in this thread :)

jacewindu
07-14-2007, 14:04
why not get a backup? it can't hurt...

Joew
07-14-2007, 14:30
I have a wireless computer and I'm going to go with a brass SPG for backup. Actually, I'm planning to go with the XS scuba one that has been referenced a few times in this thread :)

If your looking for a backup, you might want to try the compact version of the XS SPG. It has a 2" face instead of 2.5".

frankc420
07-14-2007, 15:02

If your looking for a backup, you might want to try the compact version of the XS SPG. It has a 2" face instead of 2.5".

http://xsscuba.com/gauge_brass.html

This is the only small one I found???

Joew
07-14-2007, 15:22
DiveSports carries both the regular and compact XS SPGs. You might want to ask Scubatoys if they can get the compact version. I've noticed that XS scuba's website is not comprehensive. I've seen several products that they make that aren't on their website.

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 18:19
I like the full size SPGs better than the little ones. My eyes are fine, I can see both, but bigger is still clearer, and it really doesn't make any noticeable difference from a streamlining or weighting standpoint, so why not have the larger gauges? Easier for your buddy to glace at from a few feet away as well.

No harm in choosing one or the other, but that's the reasoning behind my preference.

frankc420
07-14-2007, 18:38
DiveSports carries both the regular and compact XS SPGs. You might want to ask Scubatoys if they can get the compact version. I've noticed that XS scuba's website is not comprehensive. I've seen several products that they make that aren't on their website.

The one on the ST site IS the compact version. The full size is 2.5" face.

GLENFWB
07-14-2007, 20:38
<DIV>I have been using an AI for over a year with no problems...but, I have a backup pressure and depth gauge. I like the security of a backup. I appreciate what everyone is saying about you should "know" how much air you have. But, for me I want to know exactly where I am and not trust my memory or math calculations under water. It is very inexpensive and I think anyone with an AI should have one. Heck, I even look at the SPG a few times each dive...even when my AI is working.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
I'm going to get an Oceanic Atom 2.0 on wireless as my computer. Should I consider getting a relatively cheap &amp; small analog gauge as backup for depth and pressure? What are the chances for the digital computer to breakdown in the middle of a dive?

Cheers.
</DIV>

Joew
07-14-2007, 20:42

You're right. I didn't read the Scubatoys item description that closely.

Joew
07-14-2007, 20:45

You're right. I didn't read the Scubatoys item description that closely.

fireman mike
07-14-2007, 20:47
I have a VT3 and on my last trip last week it worked fine on the boat and after I was in the water said no link found. This happen last time so I already had a small SPG. I have since taken to my LDS for repair.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Before that I had a Aeris and never had a problem with 150 dives. Guess you can never be to save.</DIV>

Joew
07-14-2007, 23:24
]The one on the ST site IS the compact version. The full size is 2.5" face.

You're right. I didn't read the Scubatoys description that closely. I assumed it was the full size model.

Joew
07-14-2007, 23:29
Sorry for the multiple posts. The page keeps freezing up and I didn't realize they were getting posted. I didn't notice this topic has multiple pages, so I thought they weren't getting through.

frankc420
07-15-2007, 00:07
Sorry for the multiple posts. The page keeps freezing up and I didn't realize they were getting posted. I didn't notice this topic has multiple pages, so I thought they weren't getting through.

That's ok, I'm having the same problem, I've posted a thread about it in the support section, feel free to browse over there and let them know your having the same problem!

http://scubatoys.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=420

Joew
07-15-2007, 02:20
Sorry for the multiple posts. The page keeps freezing up and I didn't realize they were getting posted. I didn't notice this topic has multiple pages, so I thought they weren't getting through.That's ok, I'm having the same problem, I've posted a thread about it in the support section, feel free to browse over there and let them know your having the same problem!http://scubatoys.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=420

Thanks, I just posted on that topic. I'm sure these guys will get it sorted out.

plot
07-15-2007, 08:49
Mines been doing the same thing on and off, instead of refreshing the page, just hit back a few times to the original thread and your post should've showed up. At least, mine have...

mwhities
07-16-2007, 16:28
I bought a Suunto Vyper 1 for my computer and I have the 2.5" PSI SPG by XSScuba. Of course, I haven't dove with it yet but, I plan to soon.

Michael

CompuDude
07-16-2007, 23:04
Sometimes it's less about the money and more about the convenience and other intangibles.

From a strictly financial standpoint, wireless makes no sense. Neither does scuba diving, though!

BSea
07-16-2007, 23:09
I dive a Vytec and usually an SPG as a backup just because I have 1, and as mentioned before, it doesn't get in the way. The question about why not skip the transmitter can be answered by that it's just nice to have everything in 1 place. And to be honest, most people don't look at their pressure a lot during the dive. After you've been diving for awhile,you look at your depth &amp; no deco status, and as you get closer to ending the dive, you pay more attention to the supply. That's not to say you don't look at it at all, just that you look at the other data more. At least I do.

Judestudio
07-16-2007, 23:10
If you are carrying the SPG and or console as backup, why not skip the wireless all together.
<div>I have seen these threads many times, it seems as though failure of the transmitter is expected.</div>
<div>I would take the money saved and buy a watch with a depth gauge function.</div>
<div>This way in the event of a computer failure of anykind, you are still diving.</div>
<div>I wear my SPG on a short (26") hose on my left hip, computer on my right wrist, Citizen's Aqualand on my left most of the time.</div>
<div>I have had 3 computer failures. Never thumbed the dive.
I really like the wireless feature, so I think I'm still gonna go for it. The SPG is simply a safety backup, and on a short hose, it doesn't really bother me as much as dragging along a huge dash-board type console. I will only need to look at the SPG if the transmitter fail on me. Most of the time, I don't need to care about it.

I think the most vulnerable feature for any wireless computers would be transmitter failure which most cases the other features (depth and time etc) will still work ok. If I carry a SPG, I guess it'll justify to keep diving as long as the other features are still working.
</div>

cummings66
07-16-2007, 23:42
I like the wireless setup, don't need it but it's nice because my computer logs my starting air pressures, ending pressues, and I can calculate my SAC based on that without worrying about my screwy math.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I know that the position of the transmitter can affect it's reliability, but knocking on wood, mine has never lost a lock for me. I'm sure it will someday, and for that day I have my backup SPG which I check every time I check my computer.</DIV>

Judestudio
07-18-2007, 04:41
Anyone out there know where I can get a brass SPG in bar measurements? I've asked, the one that ST sells only comes in PSI. I'm more familiar with the English measurements (bar and meters). Any English out there?? Please PM me if you know of a place, my intention is not to direct business away from ST....this is their forum, afterall...smileys/smiley2.gif

Joew
07-18-2007, 21:52
Anyone out there know where I can get a brass SPG in bar measurements?

Here's one. (http://www.soggydiving.com/)