PDA

View Full Version : Cozmel Trip Report-7/26-8-1

94GTStang
08-06-2007, 08:09
Thought I would share my report in here since the Carribean section gets little traffic...

Just got back a few days ago from our annual Cozumel vacation! It was a blast as always! It did seem much hotter this year than usual, but thatís alright. The water was still a beautiful blue and the beers were cold!

We did two days of diving and two night dives with Raul Platas of bottomtimedivers.net. He of course did a fantastic job as always handling me, my fiancť, and our two friends! Our dives consisted of the C53, Tormentos, Chankanaab (at night), Punta Sur (Devils Throat), Cedral Wall, and Las Palmas (at night). The dives were great and the reef life was abundant! Much better than last year!

I bought the SeaLife SL960d strobe to use on this trip. I didnít have any practice with it before we left, so some...err... most of my pics could have turned out better! Either way, I feel I took some nice pictures that would have been impossible to take without the strobe. As for the strobe, it worked perfectly and I never had a problem with it at all! Great strobe for the price! The camera is my old Sony Cybershot P-73 4.1 megapixel with a Sony underwater housing. A large majority of the shots were taken with a Sea and Sea wide angle lens as well.

Once again, we found ourselves staying at Fiesta Americana. They have great clean rooms and a well kept hotel. Not to mention all the rooms face the ocean! Canít beat that!

Finally, to make it a really special trip, I decided to propose to my girlfriend. Where else but underwater too! Everyone was in on it and at the end of the dive at Cedral wall we all got on the sandy bottom and I pulled a seashell from my B.C. pocket. It didnít take her long to figure out what the shiny thing attached to the inside of it was! Of course her answer... or head movement... was yes! I also have a feeling that the massage from Sally of barefootincozumel had something to do with her answer too...

Enough with the writing... here are most of the pics I took on the trip! I canít figure out how to embed them into the thread from picasa, but Iíll post the link to gallery instead. Enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/94GTStang

torrey
08-06-2007, 11:09
Looks like a fun trip. Congratulations!

creggur
08-06-2007, 11:33
Looks like a great trip... Is your girlfriend the one with the pink hoses?... I gotta know where she got those, my wife would kill for them...

Can't wait to dive Coz in Feb. on the SB/ST cruise..Looks like some great dives!!!

94GTStang
08-06-2007, 12:22
Thanks!

Actually they aren't pink hoses, though that would be pretty cool for her. I'd get me some red ones... They are just the hose wraps. I bought them off ebay and they come in other colors. Hers are pink and mine are "carbon fiber" in color. They also have patriotic colors etc...

Don't let Larry see this link but...
http://www.divers-supply.com/TECHFLEX-HOSE-WRAP-p/ins30210.htm

I'm pretty sure you can get it from Scubatoys though

3rdEye
08-06-2007, 12:28
good stuff...i assume the pics through the long cave thingy are devil's throat? Looks awesome.

looks like you did the advanced stuff that I couldn't do when I was there.....next time :)

94GTStang
08-06-2007, 12:31
good stuff...i assume the pics through the long cave thingy are devil's throat? Looks awesome.

looks like you did the advanced stuff that I couldn't do when I was there.....next time :)

Yea that was through devils throat. I have a video of it I believe... Just need to host it somewhere. I guess youtube...

Yes we were doing the advanced stuff without the advanced cert. However... our DM signed off for everything but the compass work so we can get the advanced cert. We just need to meet up with an instructor here so we can do the rest of the course work.

kqhouston
08-06-2007, 21:03
I was in Coz July 28th through Aug 4th, we probably passed you on the reef down there!

Stayed at the Reef Club....lovely resort, but the service is awful. Dove Columbia Deep & Shallows, Palancar everything, Cedar Pass, Cordova, Tormentos.....and took a day to get Nitrox certified! Great weather, great diving.

No engagement in my group tho, congratulations!!!

Cichlid
08-06-2007, 21:46
Congrats Stang! :smiley20:

94GTStang
08-06-2007, 22:38
I was in Coz July 28th through Aug 4th, we probably passed you on the reef down there!

Stayed at the Reef Club....lovely resort, but the service is awful. Dove Columbia Deep & Shallows, Palancar everything, Cedar Pass, Cordova, Tormentos.....and took a day to get Nitrox certified! Great weather, great diving.

No engagement in my group tho, congratulations!!!
Ah cool! We were thinking about Reef Club, but we did our research via tripadvisor and decided to stay away. It does look like a nice place. We passed by the Presidente on our night dive and it looked amazing!
I wouldn't mind getting nitrox certified though... just another cert. under the belt!

Congrats Stang! :smiley20:
Thanks! She's behind me looking up wedding places now...

nferra2
08-07-2007, 00:02
I see alot of divers post about diving in Cozumel, but I always thought of Cozumel to be more of a spring break, cruise port, american tourist kind of destination. Is the diving that great that it makes up for the 6 cruise ships sitting at the port ( and the thousands of cruisers coming off those boats)

lucidblue
08-07-2007, 00:21
I see alot of divers post about diving in Cozumel, but I always thought of Cozumel to be more of a spring break, cruise port, american tourist kind of destination. Is the diving that great that it makes up for the 6 cruise ships sitting at the port ( and the thousands of cruisers coming off those boats)

We stayed at one of the resorts further south and didn't encounter anyone from the cruises. When we went downtown at night, the cruisers were already gone. I think Cancun is more of the spring break location, not Cozumel.

3rdEye
08-07-2007, 00:23

popular cruise port, not so much spring breakers i don't think - that would be across the way in Cancun......when I was there, at the resort, a lot of Brits on holiday.

and though I've been nowhere else, the diving must be good, as I can't pick up a dive mag without an article on Coz in it, tons of dive shops everywhere....and it was popularized as a dive destination by Jaques Cousteau.

nferra2
08-07-2007, 00:28
Good to know, Reasonably priced vacation packages are always available to Cozumel.

94GTStang
08-07-2007, 00:49
Yep, it is a cruise ship destination, but what Caribbean port isn't? Grand Cayman, Bahamas, Bermuda, Belize, etc... Just can't get past it. Like said above, the pop people just hang out downtown and do their thing. Dive all day, take a nap, and by the time you are ready to go to town, they are already boarding the mother ship. However, it's always fun to look at the cruise ship people and their awkward dress. I think it's norm to walk around in an oversized Tshirt and your bathing suit.

Cozumel diving is the only diving I have done. Our DM there goes to Belize every year and he still says Coz is the best. I'm sure the Great Barrier Reef is tied with Coz...

THT98
08-08-2007, 22:04
I'll be heading off to Coz tomorrow morning. Can't wait!
I'll post some updates on the trip when I get back. I have to say that I've heard nothing but great things about it.
I was in Belize this winter on the Aggressor Live-a-board, and that was aweomse! If it's anywhere near that in Coz, I'm going to have a great time. My wife will be joining me this time as well, and its her first real warm water trip. She's really excited as well.

Talk to you all soon!