PDA

View Full Version : Doea any one make a 90HP?

DaneMeyer20
05-22-2008, 13:48
Im trying to match up how much air i breath in regards to how much my wife does in regards to tanks. If we have to I will get the 100HP but they are a little big for her to lug around

skdvr
05-22-2008, 14:41
No HP 90 that I know of. If there is the size difference would be minimal at best. If you are looking for shorter than you would have to go to a HP 80 or HP 65 (Which looks like a coffee can).

Phil

mike_s
05-22-2008, 15:16
Im trying to match up how much air i breath in regards to how much my wife does in regards to tanks. If we have to I will get the 100HP but they are a little big for her to lug around

The HP100 isn't much heavier on land than a AL80' is. I think you'll find they they are very similar in weight and size.

I've never seen a HP90 before.

you could always buy the HP100 as noted above, or a LP85 and pump it up a bit. Or a HP80.

ChrisA
05-22-2008, 15:27

The HP100, made by either PST or Worthington is the same diameter but shorter than a standard AL80. The tank weights more then an AL80 but it alows yo to take lead off the weightbelt such that the total weight (in air) on your feet is less then if you had used an AL80. The HP 100 is overall easier to handle than an AL80. It's only real problem is that it costs 3X more.

I'm a little confused about who gets the larger tank, normally women use less air and so I would guess it is her that needs the smaler tank and you the larger.

A really nice small tank is the PST/Worthington HP 80. The thing is tiny

Geoff_T
05-22-2008, 16:31
[quote=ChrisA;176251The HP100, made by either PST or Worthington is the same diameter but shorter than a standard AL80. The tank weights more then an AL80 but it alows yo to take lead off the weightbelt such that the total weight (in air) on your feet is less then if you had used an AL80. The HP 100 is overall easier to handle than an AL80. It's only real problem is that it costs 3X more.

I'm a little confused about who gets the larger tank, normally women use less air and so I would guess it is her that needs the smaler tank and you the larger.

A really nice small tank is the PST/Worthington HP 80. The thing is tiny[/quote]

Not always there are some of us who manage to consistantly surface as much as a third of a tank ahead of our partners male or female. Though for me its usually more like 1/4

skdvr
05-23-2008, 06:56
I too use less air than my wife... I also dive a lot more than she does, and I am much more comfortable in the water. Not all women will out breathe the men, but probably the majority will...

Phil

mike_s
05-23-2008, 09:12
yeah... I know some women divers that I could never 'sip' air as little as they could, and some that I swear their tank had a leak in it they used so much air...

cmburch
05-23-2008, 09:37
I use an HP100 and my wife uses an Al80. I can now surface with more air than my wife. I was also able to remove 6lbs off my weight belt when switching from Al80 to HP100. The Al80 and HP100 are both about 32-33lbs empty. My wife would benefit by switching to an HP100 due to being able to remove 5lbs from her belt. She would benefit more using an HP80 since it is about 28lbs empty, so she would be able to remove about 5lbs from her belt and 5lbs less tank to carry versus an Al80 for a total of 10lbs less to carry. For my circumstances, since the wife does not do the amount of hiking that I do, I would standardize on HP100s. Since the HP100 is similar in weight to the AL80, but she would be able to remove the 5lbs from the belt.

CompuDude
05-23-2008, 15:28
The problem with mismatched tanks is this: What if one of you (the one who breathes more) goes OOA? Now the reserve that's left in the smaller tank, which would have been fine for the smaller diver, has to support both the smaller diver AND the heavy breather, and you're in a world of trouble.

Matching tank sizes is best. It may mean one person is always surfacing with more gas than the other, but that's better than the risky alternative. Lots of common practices work just fine... until there's a problem.

There is no HP90. There's the HP100, and the HP80, which looks just like a short HP100. I'm of the mind that the HP100 is pretty much the perfect all-around tank for the vast majority of divers.

The HP80 doesn't work well for larger divers, since it's so short it tends to make divers top-heavy, unless they move it so low that they can't reach their valves. It's quite nice for smaller divers, but do be aware of the differences in gas consumption, and the possible issues that can result. The person with the smallest amount of gas should always be the one that turns the dive... once they hit the amount of gas needed to get BOTH divers out safely.

cummings66
05-23-2008, 16:42
I believe anytime divers use mismatched cylinders regardless of reason you need to base the turn on the diver with the highest air consumption and the smallest cylinder.

RoyN
05-24-2008, 00:25
Never saw anything between an HP80 and an HP100. Why want an HP90? Why not just get the HP100?