PDA

View Full Version : Summersville Lake, WV

WV Diver
05-23-2008, 06:51
Who knows it? Who dives it? This is the place to discuss it and make plans to meet folks and do some diving.

Most of the diving is done near the dam at the winter boat ramp gate. There is one platform there and a sunken boat the "Thomas Patrick" to dive on. Also not far from there at the campground there are two other small vessels that you can dive on. A bit of a walk here but never the less.

Anyone been there yet this year? Post water conditions please.

We (the dive shop) spend a fair amount of time there in the summer months. It is a good place to practice skills, meet with friends and just stay wet.

If you need further information on Summersville Lake just shoot me a PM. Hope to see some of you there this summer.

I imagine it will be fairly busy this weekend although it may still be a bit chilly. I haven't been out to check the conditions there yet but the cold, wet spring we have had probably wasn't the best thing for the lake.

Summersville Lake | Campground | Cabins | Camping | West Virginia | Camp | Fishing | Pool (http://www.mountainlakecampground.com/index.html)

West Virginina Camping - Summersville Lake Retreat (http://www.summersvillelakeretreat.com/)

emcbride81
05-24-2008, 00:05
I am hoping to get there this year. Are the better dive areas shore or boat dives, or does it matter?

WV Diver
05-25-2008, 15:52
Shore, I would guess. I know no one that boat dives the lake. There is a dive shop on the lake that does boat excursions but I have never used them.

WV Diver
05-28-2008, 07:56
A large group from the dive shop I work with are planning to spend the weekend diving at Summersville this coming weekend and even have a picnic. There will be an advanced class there working through their skills and such.

The wife and I haven't made a firm decision on whether we are going or not as we may go back to the Storm. Why? Storm is warm and Summersville is probably still pretty cool.

I will try to make a decision soon and post the details in case anyone would like to attend and have some food.

WV Diver
06-01-2008, 15:05
We dove Storm, but I have a report from our group that was there yesterday.

Surface = 69*F
1st thermocline at 15' = 59*F
2nd thermocline at 25ish' = 56*F

WV Diver
06-22-2008, 10:52
New Report

temps. surface about 78*F
1st major thermocline about 30' temp about 67*F
2nd major thermocline about 50' temp about 58*F
81' temp about 52*F

We (Kokomo, some friends and I) dove with Puffer Fish. It was a perfect weather day around the lake and the diving was pretty nice. Vis was 10 -12'.

WV Diver
09-12-2008, 20:56
So we've been diving the crap out of the lake this summer, where have all you local ST members been?

warscout2
09-12-2008, 23:53
Is there anything to see in the lake.

emcbride81
09-13-2008, 20:13
Hey WV...how are the temps? I have been tossing around the idea of going there sometime soon...either there or Dutch. You got any plans on going back soon? I have hit Storm a few times, but it is getting boring! :)

Glad to see you post up, there have been crickets in this forum! :)

WV Diver
09-14-2008, 07:35
Hey Eric,

I am leaving for the lake in a few minutes. Temps are as warm as they get any time during the year right now, mid to upper 70's. We just go in our 3mm suits and it is fine. Come on out and join us we are at the winter boat ramp.

Warscout -- There are several sunken boats about and a small platform. We will be diving a small boat named Thomas Patrick today. Come on out and join us.

warscout2
09-14-2008, 13:29
i woul but im in virginia beach so it might take me a while to get there

emcbride81
09-18-2008, 12:02
Yeah, it would take me 4 hours to get there...I gotta go when I can camp.

WV Diver
09-19-2008, 17:20
Okay, how about noon tomorrow?

emcbride81
09-19-2008, 17:47
I am working all weekend :(

texdiveguy
09-19-2008, 17:52
Is this the only dive shop on the lake or in that area....?

Home (http://www.sarges.net/index.htm)

WV Diver
09-19-2008, 19:26

Home (http://www.sarges.net/index.htm)Yes and it is closed after Labor Day.

Are you in the area Tex? If you need gear I can have it arranged if you tell me tonight. I will be there working with a Rescue Class and meeting with the owner of another shop that is close to two hours away. I can have him bring you whatever to the lake with him.

texdiveguy
09-19-2008, 19:47

Home (http://www.sarges.net/index.htm)Yes and it is closed after Labor Day.

Are you in the area Tex? If you need gear I can have it arranged if you tell me tonight. I will be there working with a Rescue Class and meeting with the owner of another shop that is close to two hours away. I can have him bring you whatever to the lake with him.

No not there, I wish I were in the area, would love to dive the lake......asked just for future ref..

Thanks for the info. on the shop and a partc. thanks for your kind offer of the gear had I been there!

Hope your dives are safe and fun--enjoy.

emcbride81
09-21-2008, 19:14
WV you planning on diving the lake thru the fall...when does diving stop there?

WV Diver
09-22-2008, 06:47
WV you planning on diving the lake thru the fall...when does diving stop there?
We did a rescue class there this weekend and I doubt anyone returns to dive this season. No more classes are scheduled.Temps were still good (mid 70's) but it won't take many cool nights to knock those temps into the 60's.

I expect you will be seeing us at Storm for the rest of the season. Did the porta potties ever come back? Is the old dive shop a restaurant now?

emcbride81
09-22-2008, 08:00
No to both of those as of the first of September. Post up when you and the wife are headed up there!